PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing

holmes76
12-03-2007, 02:45 PM
just wondering if anyone has heard if dragon in quesnel was frozen enough for ice fishing yet?

Steeleco
12-03-2007, 03:00 PM
You just know there's a joke in here somewhere!! But I'll pass.
Welcome to the site. Good luck fishing BBBUUURRRRRR!!!!

holmes76
12-03-2007, 03:06 PM
last yr we were out on the ice on dragon lake dec 2. havnt heard any reports yet on how thick the ice is this year though. its a farely long drive from p.g. just to find out.

Steeleco
12-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm sure you'll have a much better idea by dinner, the boys up north must be working!!!

BCrams
12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
It was open a week and a half ago. This cold weather we have now might freeze it over and ready to go fairly quick.

Jagermeister
12-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I lived at Dragon Lake for 14 years, the earliest that it ever froze in that time was Nov. 19th and the latest was Dec. 14.
I didn't like fishing it during winter, the fish have a muddy taste although some people say that it goes away in the winter, I didn't find it so.
10 Mile (since they have stocked Kokanee) or Milburn Lakes are better bets.

I liked to go to Tyee Lake too, for the kokanee. I see that the daily limit at Tyee has been increased to 10.

Getting back to Dragon, I need to give you a warning. The lake has many little warm water upwellings that can thin the ice, particularly just after it has formed. There is a fairly large one on the north end that is the last area to freeze. This spot is in line with Thatchell Road and about 200 to 400 yards from the north shore. If you are out swimming in the summer, there is a noticeable difference in the adjacent waters. If you happen up on the power line shorty after the ice has formed and there is a skiff of snow on the ice, these warm areas are quite evident, they are all over the lake, but more seem to exist on the north end.

holmes76
12-03-2007, 08:45 PM
thanks for the replies..i noticed a couple of spots last year that were softer than the rest. ive never fished there anytime other than in the winter and i thought that the trout tasted all right. if it was open a week and a half ago i think i might just wait a little while longer before i go out on it. A few of the lakes around p.g. are good so i'll stick to these ones for a bit. thanks again for the responses.

sparkymacker
12-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Where abouts is Tyee lake? The ice fishing around here has sucked the last few years, I would like to take the kids somewhere over the holidays to enjoy some ice fishing.

Jagermeister
12-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Where abouts is Tyee lake? The ice fishing around here has sucked the last few years, I would like to take the kids somewhere over the holidays to enjoy some ice fishing.
Tyee is north of Williams Lake. There are two ways to get there. The first is the Lyne Creek Road which is 24.4km from the junction of 97 and 20 in the Puddle. You have to travel 16km to the forestry campsite turn off. The 2nd access is the Likely/Gibraltor Road at McCleese Lake. You have to take the Beaver Valley road at the top of the hill and turn at the sign. It's about 12km to the lake from the sign and a total of about 20km from Hwy97 junction. This access takes you to the Tyee Lake Resort. I would recommend this resort, but they are only open for group bookings in the winter. This would be a nice place to take the family for a holiday and you can check for availability at this link. http://www.tyeelakeresort.com/

But since you're in Peachland, I would recommend Moondance Bay Resort on Bridge Lake. Here is their link. http://www.moondancebay.com/pages/winterwelcome.html

Snow machines would be in order for both places. If you do not have one, here is a rental source in Kamloops. http://variablerentals.com/

If you need to know about my favourite terminal takle for kokanee, you'll have to pm me.

Fisher-Dude
12-05-2007, 12:26 PM
If you need to know about my favourite terminal takle for kokanee, you'll have to pm me.

Pink tear drop and a mealworm? :tongue:

Hopefully Wood Lk in Winfield freezes up good again this year, two kokanee and a coupla whitefish for a day's fishing, and I'm eatin' good all week! :D

Reminder - Wood Lk kokanee limit = 2 for those who venture out. Beware of thin ice!

Stone Sheep Steve
12-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Speaking of regulations......here's a good one........

Supposedly, this is a true story out of Williams Lk. Maybe someone can shed light on the story.

CO comes up to two guys ice fishing on a lake. Both have two lines down two holes so he writes them up a nice citation for each of them. They complain that they can have two lines out when fishing solo on a boat but their complaints fall on deaf ears.

The next week or so the same CO comes up on the same guys but they have both gone to the effort of each dragging a boat onto the ice and each have two lines out. Their feeling pretty smug about the situation until the CO writes them both a citation for not having a life jacket in their boats:shock:...................................... ...:lol:

True or not, I thought it was a pretty good story!

SSS

daycort
12-05-2007, 01:43 PM
I think just after christmas the fishing should be good where the h/g meet.

Fisher-Dude
12-05-2007, 02:17 PM
SSS, good on the CO. He knows a poacher when he sees one. The lengths some will go to try to justify what is pure greedy poaching!

Jagermeister
12-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Pink tear drop and a mealworm? :tongue:

Hopefully Wood Lk in Winfield freezes up good again this year, two kokanee and a coupla whitefish for a day's fishing, and I'm eatin' good all week! :D

Reminder - Wood Lk kokanee limit = 2 for those who venture out. Beware of thin ice!
"Pink tear drop and a mealworm? :tongue:" Nope!:smile:

How come there is only a 2 kokanee limit on Woods Lake?

Fisher-Dude
12-05-2007, 03:38 PM
How come there is only a 2 kokanee limit on Woods Lake?

When they shut down kokanee fishing in Okanagan Lk they were afraid that Wood would get all the pressure, so they decided 2 fish was it. Two 1.5 pounders is all ya really need though...;-)

So far, they have spent how many million dollars on Okanagan for...what? Fishing never really impacted Okanagan Lk's kokanee stocks - the closure of the Skaha kokanee hatchery and the continued rape of water from Mission Creek did however seal their fate.

Jagermeister
12-05-2007, 04:07 PM
You'd think that the powers that oversee the raising and stocking of that system would have continued the operation of the hatchery that is just below the lower dam on Penticton Creek.
As a kid growing up along Penticton Creek, I do not remember any of the little red fish in the creek, but an old family friend had said that there were kickanee (red kokanee) prior to the flood control measures taken after the 1947-48 flooding. That cement flume that was constructed on the lower end of the creek was certainly detrimental to any fish movement from the lake. The city should be made to re-patriate that portion back to its quasi-natural state.
So, back to Woods Lake, if the ice does not form, do the fishers still troll for kokanee?

Fisher-Dude
12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
So, back to Woods Lake, if the ice does not form, do the fishers still troll for kokanee?

Rarely. Those that do leave their brass monkeys at home beside the fire. They come out again at the end of March usually.

We've had fishable ice for all years but one in the past several years.

TGF
12-07-2007, 04:25 PM
SSS, good on the CO. He knows a poacher when he sees one. The lengths some will go to try to justify what is pure greedy poaching!

I fish in Alberta with 2 lines down 2 holes which is legal there. Am I a poacher? I'm not greedy and all goes back down my hole and are released under the water. All of the rest of Canada you are allowed 2 holes or more. Not sure of the rationale for one hole here in BC?
I have wanted to drag my inflatable down to the ice and fish both sides of it. Of course I'd have all the required equipment needed for an inflatable including my floater suit that I wear on ice.

Fisher-Dude
12-07-2007, 06:36 PM
The reason for the one line while ice fishing is simple - if there are two guys and a total of two lines, and one cheaps out and POACHES without a fishing license, his buddy can just claim the second line is his if they got checked if two lines were allowed. One guy, one line, one license - no question who's it is! From what I've seen in a lifetime of ice fishing, the guys who POACH with two lines (or 3 or 4 or 12...) tend to hide the extra 10 fish they killed too, and chum their holes, use fin fish for ling bait on non-set lines, etc, etc!

That's why the one guy in the boat can fish two, because he's the only one in there...but in a boat, two guys/two lines/one license = ticket.

Untouchable
12-07-2007, 07:28 PM
So what if one guy with one license has two rods through the ice all by himself????????

Fisher-Dude
12-07-2007, 11:40 PM
So what if one guy with one license has two rods through the ice all by himself????????

He's poaching. :wink: