PDA

View Full Version : Sako A7?

Drachen Jager
12-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Does anybody know anything about the Sako A7? Looks like a new model for 2008

I found some pics of the stainless synthetic, looks pretty nice but I'd like to find out more.

BIGHUNTERFISH
12-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Are you sure its not the Sako 85?

http://www.sako.fi/sako85_main.php?m=1

Drachen Jager
12-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Absolutely certain, I can e-mail you a pic if you want. One of the detail pics shows the pistol grip where it clearly says "Sako A7" and the design of the grips is non traditional, it looks more like alligator teeth than normal rifle grips (in outline, kind of hard to explain).

Drachen Jager
12-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Oh and it also has military style sight mounts.

Wildman
12-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Are you sure its not the Sako 85?

http://www.sako.fi/sako85_main.php?m=1

That Sako 85 looks like a pretty decent rifle.

Ciskman
12-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Absolutely certain, I can e-mail you a pic if you want. One of the detail pics shows the pistol grip where it clearly says "Sako A7" and the design of the grips is non traditional, it looks more like alligator teeth than normal rifle grips (in outline, kind of hard to explain).

Hey Id be interested in a pic! Im about to buy a sako 85, but am wondering if i should wait a bit and see what comes out in 2008.

annie_cory@hotmail.com

Drachen Jager
12-04-2007, 01:13 PM
I found some other pics if anyone is interested.

Sako 85 Kodiak (very fat barrel, and iron sights, laminated SS, two metal studs on the side of the forestock)
Sako 85 Deluxe (more traditional grip pattern, same metal studs as on the Kodiak)
Sako 85 Finnlight (it looks the same but the stock material is more matte, perhaps they're using a different compound because they've had some stocks break in the field?)

I don't imagine they know about the hole in their website :-D These ones were just uploaded today so I think I've tapped into the file transfer depository for the graphic artists who work for Sako.

Drachen Jager
02-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Well, to resurrect this old thread, the A7 was finally released at the SHOT show.

Full info is at http://www.sakoa7.net/

todbartell
02-01-2008, 07:39 PM
looks like they made a Tikka T3 and stamped Sako on it

Tarp Man
02-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Tod, that is exactly what it looks like! A Sako branded T3! Same style bolt handle, same style magazine, only with Sako pricing? That and the 5 shot guarantee... Time will tell if people realize what they are looking at.

Hank Hunter
02-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Totally agree

locdog_99
09-05-2009, 05:52 PM
so no good?

goatdancer
09-05-2009, 06:08 PM
There's an article on the A7 in the latest BC Outdoors Hunting issue.

huntergal
09-06-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm interested in everybody's thoughts on this one for sure.

I just purchased the Sako A7 in a .300 WSM. Mail-ordered it because it wasn't available locally, so didn't have a chance to handle it first. Frankly, I'm not sure I like it. It feels exceptionally un-balanced - heavy front end (stainless barrel) countered by an extremely light "plastic" stock. The stock just feels so thin, so plasticky, like a toy gun or something. I have other stainless synthetic rifles (including an ultralight Weatherby which is lighter than this Sako A7) and this A7 stock is plastic thin feeling in comparison. For me (small framed) it's a tough one to handle being so front-end heavy. I know this is a weight-reducing feature, but honestly I'd rather a heavier rifle that felt more balanced when you throw it up to your shoulder.

I considered the Tikka T3 Lite quite seriously, but ending up going with the A7 since it was only $200 more (and of course with the Sako name I thought it must be a step up). Has anyone noticed the same thing - an unbalanced feeling due to the super light plastic stock -with their Tikka T3 Lites? I'd be curious since it's about 1/4 lb lighter in comparison.

bigshooter
09-06-2009, 08:39 AM
I like my a7

budismyhorse
09-06-2009, 08:52 AM
I've seen them and a friend shoots one now. He could spell his name in a target with it if he wanted to......

It is extremely light (6.25 lbs 300 WM), and IMO, very well balanced.......

that being said, the stock has a plastic feel that is hollow as well. They should have impregnated it with foam.

It is also a heavy hitter due to the light weight.....he went with the LimbSaver pad and cleared that up.

Brambles
09-06-2009, 09:13 AM
I got one in 270 WSM and I really like it. That means a lot from me cause I'm a Remington guy and prefer high quality aftermarket synthetics. Perhaps its because its different, or because its freakishly accurate, not sure. But I like it enough to take it hunting as my main rifle this year.
130 gr TTSX at 3250 fps shooting 1/2 MOA, can't complain about that one bit.

mcrae
09-07-2009, 09:54 AM
I got one in 270 WSM and I really like it. That means a lot from me cause I'm a Remington guy and prefer high quality aftermarket synthetics. Perhaps its because its different, or because its freakishly accurate, not sure. But I like it enough to take it hunting as my main rifle this year.
130 gr TTSX at 3250 fps shooting 1/2 MOA, can't complain about that one bit.

Just be glad it has a crappy plastic stock or I would have never traded it to ya:biggrin:...

mcrae
09-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm interested in everybody's thoughts on this one for sure.

I just purchased the Sako A7 in a .300 WSM. Mail-ordered it because it wasn't available locally, so didn't have a chance to handle it first. Frankly, I'm not sure I like it. It feels exceptionally un-balanced - heavy front end (stainless barrel) countered by an extremely light "plastic" stock. The stock just feels so thin, so plasticky, like a toy gun or something. I have other stainless synthetic rifles (including an ultralight Weatherby which is lighter than this Sako A7) and this A7 stock is plastic thin feeling in comparison. For me (small framed) it's a tough one to handle being so front-end heavy. I know this is a weight-reducing feature, but honestly I'd rather a heavier rifle that felt more balanced when you throw it up to your shoulder.

I considered the Tikka T3 Lite quite seriously, but ending up going with the A7 since it was only $200 more (and of course with the Sako name I thought it must be a step up). Has anyone noticed the same thing - an unbalanced feeling due to the super light plastic stock -with their Tikka T3 Lites? I'd be curious since it's about 1/4 lb lighter in comparison.

My thoughts exactly. Nice gun but.... I couldn't get to liking the stock. I don't like Tikka T3's for the same reason though. The T3 and the A7 feel and handle the same way IMO. I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in 338 Federal that I really like though. The extra weight of the wood stock makes it a much nicer gun for me....

huntergal
09-23-2009, 10:33 PM
OK, I take back everything I said now that I've taken it to the range. Amazing accuracy....3 shots all within about 3/4 inch grouping....and not much kick at all (have a limbsaver on it). 180 grain Barnes TSX. Love it, nice and light, been out hunting with it last few weeks, it's a keeper.

bigshooter
09-24-2009, 06:05 AM
I have an A7 in 7mm rem mag and I'm now finding that the clip chucks all the ammo out as I 4wd. I Bent the catch tabs down a little to see if it would help. Watch out for this. I still like the rifle.

Brambles
09-24-2009, 07:56 AM
I have an A7 in 7mm rem mag and I'm now finding that the clip chucks all the ammo out as I 4wd. I Bent the catch tabs down a little to see if it would help. Watch out for this. I still like the rifle.

Where is the clip when your 4wding?

bigshooter
09-26-2009, 09:12 PM
I had the gun desk at wholesale sports load up a new clip with 3 rounds, and with a cupple of taps on the desk all shells were out. Look for a recall on the sako a7 7mm rem mag clip (I would believe.) Other calibers had no problems.

bigshooter
10-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I have tried with no luck to get help with the magazine issue. I have talked to the people at wholesale sports and they have done all that they could do. The 7mm rem mag at the Nanaimo store had the same issue with the shells popping out the top so I didn't trade for it. Calgary wholesale recomended that I try a 300 win magazine ,this didn't work, the shells popped out of it too. I have called every sako phone number to get some help. No spare magazines are available that I can find and now I'm told that the early plastic clips had nothing but problems. I'm so mad. I sold some good rifles to raise the money for this rifle and now I'm stuck.

NaStY
10-03-2009, 06:28 PM
I had a tikka mag do the same thing with a 7mm-08. Found a newer mag, now its good to go.

If sako A7 uses the same mag then just buy a large mag.

Have you emailed sako?