PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Spring Bear Derby - suggestions.

RyoTHC
02-27-2023, 04:22 PM
Afternoon folks.

Spring is almost here and it’s time to start thinking about the hunting season once again..

it’s a bit early I know, but I am intending to do another spring bear derby to pump up the hunting content on here.. now that everything is finally fixed and settled from all the flooding here, I’m in a position to run this derby again this year.

the first one didn’t go off as smoothly as I would have liked, so let’s hope practice makes perfect and this one goes off without a hitch.

Thus far the prizes will come out of my pocket, but once I have a solid outline of what the plan is, if anyone else wanted to contribute to the derby prizes that would be greatly appreciated by all involved I think.

that being said, as well as the first one went over, it wasn’t without its hurdles and complexities.

so far, I am leaning towards having just two draws, youth and adult.. and instead of going through the hassle of making people clean and measure their skulls… I am thinking the easiest would likely be, one entry per tag filled up to a maximum of 2 per person. That way every harvested bear gives the potential for a win instead of just the biggest, which encourages trophy hunting IMO and I want to encourage hunter participation more than anything.

Last timeI ran this, there were numerous folks who filled tags but once they saw the size of other bears posted, opted to not even contribute their hunting story and that’s counter intuitive to what I’m trying to accomplish.
if anyone had any suggestions on ways to improve this, keep things more organized or just another idea in general let me know.

hoping if I’m starting this well in advance that it’ll come off without a hitch this year.
it’ll run from first day of spring season, to the last day.. draw will be done In the first week or two of July.

I’ll make an official thread closer to April, but please use this one if you have any suggestions or input to offer.

TheObserver
02-27-2023, 04:36 PM
Not sure about the ideas to do with the derby thread, but going to target Bear for the first time this year I think mostly while scouting Blacktail spots, but while doing that going to make a concerted effort just for Bear as well got a few places in mind that had tons of sign last year. If I get one i'll create a story with pictures for sure!

jlirot
02-27-2023, 04:38 PM
Ryo - Thanks for always keeping everyone involved - and hunting focused.

Is there any reason why entrants couldn't all throw 10 bucks into the pot? I don't know if there are any rules/laws against that kind of thing. I would be willing to do something like that.

Gateholio
02-27-2023, 04:38 PM
There is always more participation with a lottery style entry system than just a "biggest bear wins" system.

Evanguy
02-27-2023, 05:09 PM
I'm excited for this idea. I can't wait for my first spring bear hunt. Me and my son(6) will be going over to region 2-5 and 2-12 as often as we can. It's a 30 minute boat ride and I get 3 days off a week in the slow season (before may long)

Dench
02-27-2023, 05:10 PM
I'm itching to get out bear hunting. April can't come soon enough.

Steeleco
02-27-2023, 05:12 PM
Ryo - Thanks for always keeping everyone involved - and hunting focused.

Is there any reason why entrants couldn't all throw 10 bucks into the pot? I don't know if there are any rules/laws against that kind of thing. I would be willing to do something like that.

With the amount of members we have here now and the amount with gov.bc.ca e-mail suffixes I'd suggest gambling isn't going to end well. Lets just make it to get more folks involved for fun and cool stories!!

HappyJack
02-27-2023, 05:13 PM
The biggest black bears are on the coast, going for the biggest handicaps everyone that doesn't hunt there, so thumbs up to the lottery plan.

savage10
02-27-2023, 05:20 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Hoping to cut my first bear tag this year.

jlirot
02-27-2023, 05:30 PM
That's why I asked buddy. :-)

Whatever the deal - I'm in.

I really like the idea of making it all inclusive vs. biggest bear. I'm not on the coast but I've seen 2 big ones in my area that I'm gunning for. :-)

With the amount of members we have here now and the amount with gov.bc.ca e-mail suffixes I'd suggest gambling isn't going to end well. Lets just make it to get more folks involved for fun and cool stories!!

high horse Hal
02-27-2023, 06:30 PM
There is always more participation with a lottery style entry system than just a "biggest bear wins" system.we had great success and participation in a 'hidden weight' contest
anyone had a chance as the weight target was unknown until the 3 dice were rolled

montec assassin
02-27-2023, 06:30 PM
I’m very much looking forward to this as well RyoTHC. Thanks for spearheading it again this year, I too like the draw/raffle format vs biggest bear. I’ll see what I can donate as things progress.
montec

Gr8 white hunter
02-27-2023, 06:37 PM
The last bear we shot had worms in it,that was it for me turned me right off hunting bears completely.

Lobot Doog
02-27-2023, 06:41 PM
The last bear we shot had worms in it,that was it for me turned me right off hunting bears completely.

Pretty much all bears have worms in them. Whether you see them or not, is only dependent on the life cycle of the worm. Perfectly safe to eat if you cook it well. Bear meat is excellent, if taken in the right area/time imho.

Bullreaper
02-27-2023, 07:00 PM
Me and my buddies do one every year in the East Kootenays. Everybody throws $50 or $100 in the pot. 1st or second week of July, we get together for a BBQ and beers. We measure all the skulls, whoever has the biggest skull, wins the pot. Just a friendly wager and a good way to motivate some people to do some predator management. I’m not a fan of bear meat at all as far as steaks, hams or whatever goes, but it does make excellent pepperoni.

Gr8 white hunter
02-27-2023, 08:45 PM
I would be in if I could give the meat away I don't mine doing my part no cutting down the black bear population on the island.

high horse Hal
02-28-2023, 09:56 AM
should be welcomed at the Island Wildlife Recovery Center

I would be in if I could give the meat away I don't mine doing my part no cutting down the black bear population on the island.

Livewire322
02-28-2023, 11:28 AM
Right on, RyoTHC!

As for worms in bears - yeah, so? Heaven help a guy put off by filarial worms when he finds a puss filled cyst in a deer or moose for the first time.
As others have said, it doesn’t hurt the meat at all and at the temps bear needs to be cooked to for trichinosis, they don’t survive. At the very least, I have seen no ill effects from eating bear that definitely had filarial worms.

HarryToolips
02-28-2023, 11:58 AM
As awesome as that is Ryo that you're donating some of your own $$ towards a prize, you honestly shouldn't even have to, there should be enough motivation from all members to post on this thread, and regardless of bear harvested size...we could make it a healthy competition merely for fun or 'bragging rights' if that's what motivates ppl... furthermore, hunters on the island+region 2 would technically have an upper hand on harvesting bigger bears on average, would they not?

moosinaround
02-28-2023, 12:00 PM
I'd be in for sure. Won't see my bear till May some time, LOTS of snow up here in the north this year!! I'm running low on sausage, so a bear will be put down by me this year! Moosin

HarryToolips
02-28-2023, 12:02 PM
I'd be in for sure. Won't see my bear till May some time, LOTS of snow up here in the north this year!! I'm running low on sausage, so a bear will be put down by me this year! Moosin

I'm in the same boat...

Cheers

Smokeeater
02-28-2023, 12:10 PM
I really like the idea of participating for the love of hunting and sharing stories, not for the biggest trophy!

Dayton.bailey6
02-28-2023, 12:16 PM
One pot for random and one for largest? Two entries if you shoot two bears?

RyoTHC
02-28-2023, 06:58 PM
As awesome as that is Ryo that you're donating some of your own $$ towards a prize, you honestly shouldn't even have to, there should be enough motivation from all members to post on this thread, and regardless of bear harvested size...we could make it a healthy competition merely for fun or 'bragging rights' if that's what motivates ppl... furthermore, hunters on the island+region 2 would technically have an upper hand on harvesting bigger bears on average, would they not?

That’s a fair point, but this community has always been great to me and I’m not about to share the spots other people have shown me, so this is my way to pay it forward.

at the end of the day it’s good for the community and it’s great for the ungulate population and any ranchers near you will be happy as well.

I am waiting on input from a couple people who may be interested in donating to let them weigh in.
I expect most bears will be entered in may and June.

and to whoever said the guys in the island have an advantage for size of bear, I’m confident the interior holds just as many big bruisers, there’s just a lot more space to spread them out.

HarryToolips
02-28-2023, 10:31 PM
That’s a fair point, but this community has always been great to me and I’m not about to share the spots other people have shown me, so this is my way to pay it forward.

at the end of the day it’s good for the community and it’s great for the ungulate population and any ranchers near you will be happy as well.

I am waiting on input from a couple people who may be interested in donating to let them weigh in.
I expect most bears will be entered in may and June.

and to whoever said the guys in the island have an advantage for size of bear, I’m confident the interior holds just as many big bruisers, there’s just a lot more space to spread them out.

Well good on ya, your points are valid...now I only mention that region 1 & 2 bears may be larger on average due to the estuary and more abundant salmon food sources, as well as generally shorter hibernation times (although bears are not true hibernators) - potentially giving region 1 & 2 hunters an advantage..

HappyJack
03-01-2023, 07:39 AM
Well good on ya, your points are valid...now I only mention that region 1 & 2 bears may be larger on average due to the estuary and more abundant salmon food sources, as well as generally shorter hibernation times (although bears are not true hibernators) - potentially giving region 1 & 2 hunters an advantage..

Nothing potential about it, everyone is aware that if you want to hunt big black bears you do it on the coast, just like if you want to shoot a huge bull moose you go north not around Monte Lake.

kodeman
03-01-2023, 08:01 AM
Love the idea..already planned a bear hunting trip this spring to PG, This just makes it better. Thanks

300rum700
03-01-2023, 08:04 AM
Nothing potential about it, everyone is aware that if you want to hunt big black bears you do it on the coast, just like if you want to shoot a huge bull moose you go north not around Monte Lake.

Ok bud, starting to get a bit stinky around here. Keep your tiny skull coastal bears and I'll keep shooting those small 20+" interior slobs.

HappyJack
03-01-2023, 08:11 AM
That title goes to their neighbours to the north on Haida Gwaii. Not only are the black bears on Haida Gwaii larger than anywhere else in the province, but they are also bigger than any other black bears in the world.Oct 23, 2019

HappyJack
03-01-2023, 08:15 AM
SUBSPECIES (RACE) RANGE AND PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICSUrsus americanus cinnamomum Most of British Columbia east of the Coast Range. Is generallylarger, with narrower teeth than U. a. altifrontalis. The browncolour phase is common.Ursus americanus altifrontalis Coastal race ranging from Oregon to Bella Coola, westernTweedsmuir Provincial Park, east into Manning ProvincialPark and Lillooet. Primarily black-phase bears.Ursus americanus vancouveri Insular race restricted to Vancouver Island and larger adjacentislands; large like U. a. carlottae but has smaller teeth. Primarilyblack- phase bears.Ursus americanus carlottae Insular race restricted to the Queen Charlottes; massive skull,large molars; only black phase.Ursus americanus kermodei Restricted to the coastal mainland of British Columbia fromBurke Channel to the Nass River and most adjacent islands.Includes white and black colour phases. The white colourphase is most common on Princess Royal and Gribbel Islands(about 10% of bears) but is seen occasionally throughout therange of Kermodei.Ursus americanus emmonsii Limited to the extreme north-west of the province; primarilyfound in Tatshenshini Provincial Park and adjacent Alaska;includes the rare glacier or “blue” bear

moosinaround
03-01-2023, 09:13 AM
I'm in for the draw system of play here. Bigger, smaller, it is all for fun, and Ryho's offer to put this on is appreciated, and I hope many folks play for the conservation of it!! Bring us sportsmen together, and share some pictures and stories!! Maybe make some new friends! HBC has been generous to me over the years, and I have made many new friends, which is more important to me then a prize in a contest!! Thanks again HBCers for the great site, and great content!! Moosin

RyoTHC
03-05-2023, 11:12 AM
As it stands, to get the ball rolling we will be doing a draw system this year.
Next year I will likely change it up again to keep things fresh.

The prize/s will be figured out and announced prior to bear season opening.

2 entries per person, one per bear tag filled.
Winner/s will be drawn by a member of the forum other than myself.

A brief story of the hunt, a picture of the bear and cut tag (you can blurr hunter number if you’d like)

Details required in the Story-

WMU of the hunt(zone 2,8, 3 etc)
Caliber and bullet used
distance of the shot
Type of firearm used (single shot/lever action/bolt action)

Any more pictures or details above and beyond this will obviously be greatly appreciated by forum members who get to enjoy experiencing these hunts through your posts.

and GPS coordinates PMed to me for any of the big ones *wink wink*

I’m going to talk to the admins about seeing if the official thread can be locked so only I can post in it, then everyone can post their own thread and send me the link and I’ll post the link in the official thread as an entry.
Hopefully this is possible to keep things organized and if anyone has issues uploading pictures other members can help.

stay tuned as I work out the prize/s and remainder of the details.

HarryToolips
03-05-2023, 01:31 PM
Awesome, I look forward to seeing this thread and contest progress...

wideopenthrottle
03-08-2023, 01:59 PM
if you are going to control the entries on one thread you could use the post numbers and do a draw of those post numbers for a winner

TheObserver
03-09-2023, 01:05 PM
I guess this would probably get too complicated unless we had separate groups for each, but what about with bows, compound and traditional if there was a point system they would get a bit more from compound to recurve to longbow lowest to highest respectively, considering the challenge they present is much greater than with firearms.

Or since it would be a draw (the better way I think forsure), could have one for firearms one for bows? Probably can't for reasons of prize and economics, idk just throwin out ideas because i'm going to try with the bow lol be cool though one category with firearms and one with bows and the bow prizes geared more towards archery or somethin. Maybe one year if we can put enough donation together or something

Evanguy
03-09-2023, 01:58 PM
How about it's about legal dead bears. Be it a fist fight, bow or rifle, north, south or on the island. A legal dead bear is an entry.

moosinaround
03-09-2023, 03:26 PM
How about it's about legal dead bears. Be it a fist fight, bow or rifle, north, south or on the island. A legal dead bear is an entry.
You get it!! Sounds like that would be fun!! Though, I would be in for a youth draw or 2? I like to hear about the youth getting their bears! But I like the way you think Evanguy!! Moosin

srupp
03-09-2023, 03:38 PM
i have a brand new unused unsharpened knife from Germany...comes with good sheath...
whats the address to send it to..
srupp

Livewire322
03-09-2023, 03:41 PM
Does it have to have been shot in BC? What if a guy gets the opportunity to hunt in other jurisdictions? Does that allow more than two entries?
Where are we drawing the line for ‘legal’ - baiting isn’t allowed here, but it’s allowed elsewhere…

Not trying to start a pissing match and I get that you guys want this to be simple and all, but it ain’t.

jlirot
03-09-2023, 04:03 PM
Geez guys. As far as I understand it. Here's the important rules:

Bear needs to be killed in BC.
It's FREE to enter!
RyoTHC gets to decide everything at his discretion since he's awesome enough to do this

He's cool enough to ask for suggestions - it's FREE and meant to start fun conversations.

Or am I missing something?

moosinaround
03-09-2023, 04:47 PM
Geez guys. As far as I understand it. Here's the important rules:

Bear needs to be killed in BC.
It's FREE to enter!
RyoTHC gets to decide everything at his discretion since he's awesome enough to do this

He's cool enough to ask for suggestions - it's FREE and meant to start fun conversations.

Or am I missing something?
Nailed it on the head!!! Moosin

Gateholio
03-09-2023, 08:11 PM
for interest-Here is the "rules and format" that I used to use for bear contests:

HBC Spring Bear Contest 2020
We haven't done one of these in a long time. I thought 2020 would be a good year to get started again. Anyone that wants to donate a prize please let me know. We can have categories for whatever we get a prize for.

General Rules:
All entries must be BC wildlife. 1 bear = 1 ballot for the draw
All entries MUST be accompanied by a photo, posted on this Contest thread.
All entrants *MUST* be members of HBC no later than Apr 30/2020
All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. Links to another HBC thread are acceptable.
All entries must be harvested in a legal manner, as prescribed by BC Wildlife/Hunting Regulations. Tag and HL #'s must be supplied upon demand if there is any questions.
Winners will be determined by random draw

Contest ends June 30/2020

All entries must use the form below to enter the contest, NO EXCEPTIONS. Entries that do not use the form format will be ignored.

Required Information

Species:
Date of Kill:
Region:
Weapon used:
Category Entered:
(Firearm, Bow, Traditional Archery, Youth- note, not all categories may be available, depending on prizes donated)
Photo:
Short Story:

As always, I'll be soliciting donations for prizes:smile:. Please let me know if you have anything you can offer. Anything big or small accepted, with gratitude!

*****PLEASE READ THIS*******

Every year I discard entries from the contest, because they haven't followed the simple rules, and it's a real shame. Most of the discarded entries are because people post entries for their non member kids, wives or friends. (Not a member, can't participate, so get those people signed up! You have until end of September!)

Other common reason for discarding entry is when people just put a link in their post, with no photo or other information. There is a simple and easy to use format for entries, so please use it.

So get your relatives signed up, use the form, read the rules again to make sure your entry complies, and have fun! :smile:

HarryToolips
03-09-2023, 09:53 PM
I guess this would probably get too complicated unless we had separate groups for each, but what about with bows, compound and traditional if there was a point system they would get a bit more from compound to recurve to longbow lowest to highest respectively, considering the challenge they present is much greater than with firearms.

Or since it would be a draw (the better way I think forsure), could have one for firearms one for bows? Probably can't for reasons of prize and economics, idk just throwin out ideas because i'm going to try with the bow lol be cool though one category with firearms and one with bows and the bow prizes geared more towards archery or somethin. Maybe one year if we can put enough donation together or something

Good idea, I know I'm going to try a bit with my recurve this spring...again, I don't think the prize should have to be monetary IMO...

walks with deer
03-09-2023, 10:30 PM
for interest-Here is the "rules and format" that I used to use for bear contests:

We haven't done one of these in a long time. I thought 2020 would be a good year to get started again. Anyone that wants to donate a prize please let me know. We can have categories for whatever we get a prize for.

General Rules:
All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. Links to another HBC thread are acceptable.
All entries must be harvested in a legal manner, as prescribed by BC Wildlife/Hunting Regulations. Tag and HL #'s must be supplied upon demand if there is any questions.

All entries must use the form below to enter the contest, NO EXCEPTIONS. Entries that do not use the form format will be ignored.

Required Information

Species:
Date of Kill:
Region:
Weapon used:
Category Entered:
(Firearm, Bow, Traditional Archery, Youth- note, not all categories may be available, depending on prizes donated)
Photo:
Short Story:

As always, I'll be soliciting donations for prizes:smile:. Please let me know if you have anything you can offer. Anything big or small accepted, with gratitude!

Every year I discard entries from the contest, because they haven't followed the simple rules, and it's a real shame. Most of the discarded entries are because people post entries for their non member kids, wives or friends. (Not a member, can't participate, so get those people signed up! You have until end of September!)

Other common reason for discarding entry is when people just put a link in their post, with no photo or other information. There is a simple and easy to use format for entries, so please use it.

So get your relatives signed up, use the form, read the rules again to make sure your entry complies, and have fun! :smile:

Great idea gate.. i have alot of great photos..figure out how its easyier to post..ps on humting bc i am always on my phone... my computer is for work..
Hunting predators is very important.. all my neighbours have noticed there pred issues for livestock and ungulate numbers have been increasing since i moved into my neighbourhood.
Bears eat a lot of fawns and calves more than anyone realizes. Shooting spring bears is a great excuse to scout get cabin fever off your back and if the freezer is light a great top up.. most shitty bears are a meat handling issue not the bear. Eg guts out right away.hide off right away dont let hide touch meat.. and butcher quick.. age only in a vacum sealed bag in fridge.

TheObserver
03-09-2023, 10:35 PM
Bears eat a lot of fawns and calves more than anyone realizes. Shooting spring bears is a great excuse to scout get cabin fever off your back and if the freezer is light a great top up..

Took the words right out of my mouth literally, exactly why i'm going to try and get my first one this Spring.

TheObserver
03-09-2023, 10:39 PM
Good idea, I know I'm going to try a bit with my recurve this spring...again, I don't think the prize should have to be monetary IMO...

Yeah man forsure! Just the stories would be good and pictures, I contributed as much stuff as I could last year lots of pics. This year will be more, hopefully get a successful Bear hunt story in there somewhere too

Evanguy
03-09-2023, 10:52 PM
Does it have to have been shot in BC? What if a guy gets the opportunity to hunt in other jurisdictions? Does that allow more than two entries?
Where are we drawing the line for ‘legal’ - baiting isn’t allowed here, but it’s allowed elsewhere…

Not trying to start a pissing match and I get that you guys want this to be simple and all, but it ain’t.

I'd assume yes it's has to be in BC.....BC's spring season.

RyoTHC
03-14-2023, 04:05 PM

General Rules:

Required Information

Species:
Date of Kill:
Region:
Weapon used:
Category Entered:
Photo:
Short Story:

assuming you don’t mind, I am going to steal this with some minor alterations.

surprised I missed this in 2020, had no idea I stole your idea when I did one haha
oops!

Have a couple offers for donations so far, and I’ve picked up some gift cards.. going to do a write up and post an official thread in the next week or so.

I have another prize being shipped to me; and two others I have to work out picking up.. hopefully it’ll be well worth everyone’s time to fill those two bear tags.. if you’re not a fan of the bear meat cooked up yourself, take it to a butcher to have smokies pepperoni kielbasa etc made you can’t beat it ! Or talk to your local food bank as a lot will take it as a donation if it’s been butchered.

RyoTHC
03-14-2023, 04:23 PM
All this being said, if anyone else has anything they’d like to donate, maybe we can manage a couple different potential prize pools but as it stands it will likely be a general pool no matter how or age of who harvests the animal

I have no issue paying for shipping, or to arrange pickup before the contest gets rolling.

Arctic Lake
03-14-2023, 05:18 PM
This is a good idea Ryo I like the idea ! I have always wanted to take a Spring bear .
I realize that bears have worms but that posted video I think it was on HBC with that mile long tapeworm hanging out of that Black Bears ass is going to take me while to get out of my head !
Arctic Lake

Gateholio
03-14-2023, 05:38 PM
assuming you don’t mind, I am going to steal this with some minor alterations.

surprised I missed this in 2020, had no idea I stole your idea when I did one haha
oops!

Have a couple offers for donations so far, and I’ve picked up some gift cards.. going to do a write up and post an official thread in the next week or so.

I have another prize being shipped to me; and two others I have to work out picking up.. hopefully it’ll be well worth everyone’s time to fill those two bear tags.. if you’re not a fan of the bear meat cooked up yourself, take it to a butcher to have smokies pepperoni kielbasa etc made you can’t beat it ! Or talk to your local food bank as a lot will take it as a donation if it’s been butchered.

Yup, for sure. I just posted it as a reference in case you were interested. We used to do both fall big game and spring bear contests with this sort of format. But This is your baby now :)

srupp
03-15-2023, 11:14 AM
RYOTHC...

Post office could not send prize..the address was not correct/doesnt exist..

cheers
Steven
there is no box 25.

RyoTHC
03-15-2023, 12:58 PM
RYOTHC...

Post office could not send prize..the address was not correct/doesnt exist..

cheers
Steven
there is no box 25.

was just about to PM you, the address is 100% correct, I get stuff for my business daily..
if you went to one of the postal outlets in a pharmacy or a store then they like to claim P.O. Boxes need 3 digits.

just tell them to manually enter it and send it, I will get it.

RyoTHC
03-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Received today Srupp.

thanks!

hopefully have a thread up outlining everything by Sunday.