PDA

View Full Version : massive buck poached

humble hunter
12-02-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't know if any one has seen this but here it is. The story that I got is that Tuesday Nov 13 this deer was shot with a crossbow and found dying in an orchard. the c.o.'s were called and they put it down. This buck has had a history of hanging out around Penticton in the city area near Munson Mountain and was nicknamed the Munson Monarch. It has been around for at least 5 years hanging around in the no hunting area. Some real trophy hunter would have had quite a story when it was mounted on his wall. Although it would have been much different from the truth of how he poached it 3 days after season closed and 10 days before the bow season opened. At least he did not get it. If you are reading this, you jerk i hope you are proud of yourself. As far as I know the c.o.'s are going to have it mounted for their office. The guy in the picture is Barry Kilback (really quality guy and taxidermist). http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc96/traviskubin/munson2.jpghttp://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc96/traviskubin/munson.jpg

Steeleco
12-02-2007, 11:47 PM
WOW, too bad it ended like this, would have been a real monster on any wall had it been taken the right way!

daycort
12-02-2007, 11:52 PM
I think I just wet myself... yup I did.

240gord
12-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Holy shit! Frickin huge.

Shame a buck like that had to be poached.

Just took the words out of mouth.
Gord
________
video reviews (http://videoreviews.org)

boonerbuck
12-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Wow!!!!!

Truely a sad story.

Mr. Dean
12-03-2007, 12:52 AM
%^$@##^

My pants are wet... And my blood is boiling!

Gateholio
12-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Incredible buck...`

Quick, everyone leave Clearwater and head to Penticton!!

hunter1947
12-03-2007, 05:24 AM
Wow that buck sure would look good on my wall ,i am glad that the poacher that shot this deer did not follow through with his plan. Just think of the hunter or other that came across the deer and what there reactions were. How did the deer end up in the CO hands ,did the person finding this deer report it to the CO ???.

Brambles
12-03-2007, 06:09 AM
That sucks, magnificent buck.

Gamebuster
12-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Wow...any word on what it measures?

Why wouldn't he wait for bow opener?

J_T
12-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Why wouldn't he wait for bow opener?I guess when we make decisions like the one he made, we remove ourselves from a group known as hunters (if he was one) and into a new category were a regulatory season doesn't matter.

zigman
12-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Incredible buck...`

:lol::lol::lol:

Walksalot
12-03-2007, 07:19 AM
That buck was shot for the antlers and nothing else.
Within the City of Penticton there is a NO HUNTING bylaw so unless the animal strayed out of the city limits shooting it was illegal.

humble hunter
12-03-2007, 08:33 AM
regardless where the buck strayed mule deer season was closed. (even though it has never been seen out of city limits) It was an orchardist that found it (from what I was told) As far as the person waiting fro bow season goes, I don't think that this ******** would have waited if it was in a school yard!

Walksalot
12-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Even if it was bow season that buck was within the city limits. It would have been just as illegal to shoot it in season within the city limits. This type of **** gives all hunters a bad name.
The name of the person who shot will surface sooner or later. He/she has probably already shot their mouth off.

mikek blacktail
12-03-2007, 08:54 AM
I think I'm going to cry that was in my dreams last night .

humble hunter
12-03-2007, 08:54 AM
All this person has to do is tell one person and the ball will start rolling. I have already placed my bets with my buddies who it is, but we will see.

Sharkey
12-03-2007, 08:56 AM
That's twice in the past 2 weeks that someone has shot a deer in city limits in the Okanagan with a crossbow - other instance was in Vernon. Both times the deer was not killed and had to be put down. Makes me want to cry - those poor animals just lying there waiting to die. Such a shame. I hope the meat went to a needy family, which I'm sure it would have. Dammit anyways.:mad:

BigfishCanada
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
That things huge, I had been emailed the pic from someone on the 15th or so without the storey, I thought it was a region 3 buck and was pumped, now im bummed that it was a park deer poached!

That would be a buck of a lifetime

MattB
12-03-2007, 11:16 AM
I thought that was the same buck as the live pic a guy posted a few weeks back...his picture was from last year though so it was tough to tell. I kinda figured it was the same buck though.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1119&d=1195433715

pupper
12-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Incredible buck...`

hahaa lol

on my way

308BAR
12-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Damn shame. Hang the poacher by his toes, another book buck down the toilet.

BlacktailStalker
12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
That thing is unreal.

TIKKA TIGER
12-03-2007, 01:26 PM
I thought that was the same buck as the live pic a guy posted a few weeks back...his picture was from last year though so it was tough to tell. I kinda figured it was the same buck though.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1119&d=1195433715

Hey MattB,
That is definitely the same buck. Many hunters and non-hunters in this area are very familiar with this buck. Lots of people drove the Munson Mtn. area in hopes of capturing the ideal picture of this trophy deer. It is truly a shame that such a magnificent animal like this had to die the way he did and can no longer pass on his genes. What a loss!!! :mad:

Mr. Dean
12-03-2007, 01:39 PM
That's a SWEET pic of when it was alive.

Dirty
12-03-2007, 01:43 PM
What an awesome buck, it is a shame that he was poached like that.

hotload
12-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Hardly any bloody words to describe this. This is why I hunt way back in the bush so I don't have to see, hear, look, smell, think about any of these idiots that I meet all over the road, while dodging beer cans they have just thrown from their window. What you see strewn all over the roads is the same attitude you see in the bush. The only difference, I can swerve around debris that I see, I can't avoid being shot or arrowed by some idiot that I didn't see. This story and picture absolutely pisses me off. These are the type of guys that don't only piss off the non- hunters, with their non caring attitudes about the outdoors. Read this crap and have a feel what it has just done to you the caring hunting community.

4pointer91
12-03-2007, 02:22 PM
That is truly a shame! I remember driving by the east side of Munson Mtn. in Sept. and seeing this animal. Would have liked to have shown my kids this deer but now I can't. As for the rack I saw it at the taxidermists when I took mine in to be mounted and it was truly impressive. Hope they find the person/people responsible for this lowlife act!

Wildman
12-03-2007, 03:00 PM
This is what I had sent to me last week. With the same pictures that you have posted. I didn't want to post it until I found out a bit more.....

Check out this Mulley that was illegally taken in Penticton while I was there. A local resident reported it to the CO that it was shot and dragging guts near their house. Shot out of season the CO had to destroy it. 31 ¼” wide. Culprits were not found.

Alpine85
12-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Anyone down there pick his sheds up in the past????

dana
12-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Definately a piss off when a buck of this caliber dies because of a Poaching scumbag. Good to hear the CO's are honoring the buck and getting it mounted. Hope they also honor it by putting it in the BC book and use it for educational purposes to help spread the news that Poachers Are Theives.

mark
12-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Wow, that buck is certainly a cranker! I would of loved to even see or photograph such a beast. At least the poacher didnt get it! A comparible buck was taken (legally) by an archer here in Kelowna a few days ago, the okanagan does produce some monsters!

tracker
12-03-2007, 07:40 PM
A true BIG BUCK dead !!!

By the way they did never recover the arrow,so they do not know weather it was a crossbow or a bow and arrow...

But I do know who SHOT HIM !!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Sharkey
12-03-2007, 08:04 PM

Do the police know who did this?

TIKKA TIGER
12-03-2007, 08:05 PM
A true BIG BUCK dead !!!

By the way they did never recover the arrow,so they do not know weather it was a crossbow or a bow and arrow...

Hey Tracker...
If you know who shot the buck... turn the Bast*** in to the CO's and he can get what's coming to him.

Elk-Aholic
12-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Anyone down there pick his sheds up in the past????

Yupp, I watched that buck for the last 3 years now, almost everyday from June til April when he dropped his rack. It is an absolute shame. 238 and change is what he goes. And that is the same buck from last year whoever posted the thread with the picture of the buck. I've spoke with the CO's and anyone with information, please contact them. That's the second BIG buck poached in City limits in the last 2 years in Penticton that I know of. I hope they catch that 'SOB' and hang him to dry. It was awesome to drive 5 minutes and see a buck of that calibre everyday.

Will
12-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Maybe somebody bought a Crossbow with Doug's 400 bucks.....:???:

358mag
12-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Hey Tracher here's the number
1-877-952-RAPP
call in the name of the ""Sucker of the Co*k"

kgriz
12-03-2007, 09:01 PM
I wonder why the rack isn't being included in the provincial auction for seized animals? That way it would generate revenue for the crown towards worthy projects instead of being an ornament in an office.:confused:

Eichelherr
12-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Some people dont play fair :mad:. Just a queation is it possible that it was shot in season, and lived for 3 days more until it was found by the CO's? I don't wanna judge too fast
________
aromed vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/aromed-vaporizer.html)

BCBear
12-03-2007, 09:42 PM
A true BIG BUCK dead !!!

This is dangerous ground to be on.

tracker
12-03-2007, 09:50 PM
ok Ill tell ya who it was that killed the buck

His name is Mike ;)

TIKKA TIGER
12-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Some people dont play fair :mad:. Just a queation is it possible that it was shot in season, and lived for 3 days more until it was found by the CO's? I don't wanna judge too fast

Doesn't matter when it was shot... as it was shot within the city limits of Penticton. That's a No No!!! You cannot discharge any firearms or bows within the city.

calvin L
12-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Tracker I would hope you have some every good info as to shot this buck before there is name dropping going on . As this type of $hit could and will cause a black cloud to be attached to there name . I hope if you do truly know who shot not killed the buck (a co did that) you have already told the c/o's

calvin L

puppychow
12-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Sad story, could have been a great hunting story, wasted. PmM sent to you humble hunter.

mark
12-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Doesn't matter when it was shot... as it was shot within the city limits of Penticton. That's a No No!!! You cannot discharge any firearms or bows within the city.

While you are correct, it would be far less a crime if the buck were arrowed in open season. Breaking the city bylaw is not that big a deal, a small fine, I would imagine!

ElkMasterC
12-03-2007, 10:36 PM
10 to 1 the name of the c.o. who shot him is mike and tracker is just playing every one.

David Heitsman
12-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Back to the poster's query as to who gets the mount. Why would this not go to auction? It has tremendous value. What would the criteria or benchmark be for a specie to be kept by the Ministry. Perhaps it could be permitted and donated to an wildlife conservation organization to be auctioned much the same as is done with some raptors here in the province?

Nonetheless, that is a wild looking rack. I would have liked to have seen him on the hoof.

bruin
12-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Back to the poster's query as to who gets the mount. Why would this not go to auction? It has tremendous value. What would the criteria or benchmark be for a specie to be kept by the Ministry. Perhaps it could be permitted and donated to an wildlife conservation organization to be auctioned much the same as is done with some raptors here in the province?

Nonetheless, that is a wild looking rack. I would have liked to have seen him on the hoof.

I agree on the donation to a conservation foundation, that's a very good idea. I have seen C/o offices that are adorned with many, very fine trophies and I am pretty sure they didn't find them all themselves.

Mr. Dean
12-03-2007, 11:19 PM

Educational purposes.

Walksalot
12-04-2007, 06:49 AM
While you are correct, it would be far less a crime if the buck were arrowed in open season. Breaking the city bylaw is not that big a deal, a small fine, I would imagine!

Not so, I had a buck raising havoc in my orchard, some a$$hole cut a hole in the fence, and I was so mad I phoned the RCMP and asked what would happen if I shot it with my bow and tagged it. Although it was legal hunting season they they told me I was risking loosing my hunting privileges and my bow if I was caught, not to mention a hefty fine.

Is there any difference between shooting an animal within city limits or a national park. Both have no hunting laws so what's the difference?

If one is shooting it for the rack to enter in "the book" then the "Fair Chase" rules enter into this scenario and the "sports person" is running the risk of going through the humiliation of having a animal disqualified for being harvested under illegal circumstances.

MattB
12-04-2007, 12:32 PM
The guy in the wheelchair caped the buck (The answer to my question)

bruin
12-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Not so, I had a buck raising havoc in my orchard, some a$$hole cut a hole in the fence, and I was so mad I phoned the RCMP and asked what would happen if I shot it with my bow and tagged it. Although it was legal hunting season they they told me I was risking loosing my hunting privileges and my bow if I was caught, not to mention a hefty fine.

The RCMP also told one of the members that they were not allowed to transport an unloaded rifle in the front seat when they were in the vehicle. :???:

Wildman
12-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Why does the dude in the wheelchair have blood on his knees????:roll:

Maybe he was kneeling down.

bruin
12-04-2007, 02:09 PM
He looks guilty to me. Now where did I leave the tar bucket and my feathers?

mooseless
12-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Is that Dexter Morgan?

Maxx
12-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Why does the dude in the wheelchair have blood on his knees????:roll:

Now that is a GREAT question!!

Elk-Aholic
12-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I wonder why the rack isn't being included in the provincial auction for seized animals? That way it would generate revenue for the crown towards worthy projects instead of being an ornament in an office.:confused:

A lot of people in the Penticton know that buck by name. That's why they want to keep it here. Otherwise it will end up in the US for some big $$$

ursus
12-05-2007, 06:17 PM
So what if it does end up in the USA!:?: At least it would have raised a lot of money for BC projects. If it does end up in the Ministrys office or somewhere in Penticton, then somebody has some influence in that decision. If it was taken illeagally then it should be auctioned off like everything else. IMO

threedhunter
12-05-2007, 06:48 PM
hge buck. bad for the gene pool, however we'll all keep a lookout for his progeny here in ticton.is it possible that an orchardist got a predation permit to remove some problem deer?could this buck have been in with the others and made it out alive but wounded?these questions need to be answered before we accuse anyone of poaching.3 years ago ,i was asked to help with a similar problem on upperbench, but didn't have to shoot anything as they ran out of food and water in the imediate area and left.the orchardist went to the co and the city and got all the necessary permit, named the peaple to do the job and all animals to go to grimms to be processed and given to needy families.seemed to be a worthy cause at the time but i'll sure have a second thuoght about doing that again if i'll be called a poacher for doing a legal removal.as to the rack , it will prably be used in the co training coarses like the ones that they had here in 05.:idea:

4pointer91
11-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Looking at that deer recently taken outside of Kamloops reminded me of the poach attempt on that large Penticton Munson Mtn deer in the fall of 07'. Does anyone have a picture of this deer after it was mounted?, it was apparently put into the local CO office.

M@B
11-04-2010, 01:58 PM
the link to the picture of this deer alive didn't work for me. can anyone post it up here? I'd love to see it.
It is a real shame that someone opted for the easy "Trophy" and tried to take an illigal animal just for the bone growing out of his head.
I think it's safe to say that everyone likes big antlers but, is it worth killing something like this just for the sake of killing it? a deer like this is just as, if not more valuble alive so that people can see such an incredible creature at will. Living critters like this one are just as good for our sport as the dead ones that adorne these pages and our walls in my mind.

bear buster
11-05-2010, 12:21 PM
All of our dreams...wrecked but some a$$hole, that buck deserves a way better story to how his life ended. I have seen a few really nice animals out of season and never once has a stupid stunt like that ever crossed my mind, could'nt imagine looking at my wall seeing him there as a constant reminder of what I did. dumbass.

Jelvis
11-05-2010, 12:42 PM
I hope he bred a lot of does with good genetics as well and the fawns will be getting big and in a few years after 2007 now so next two seasons should see a big gun around.
Jel .. Too bad the monster went down that way ..

steel_ram
11-05-2010, 12:47 PM
This buck has had a history of hanging out around Penticton in the city area near Munson Mountain and was nicknamed the Munson Monarch. It has been around for at least 5 years hanging around in the no hunting area.

Seems like this deer had more public value alive than dead on someones wall.

TIKKA TIGER
11-05-2010, 07:49 PM
For the HBC'rs who never got to see this buck alive. I thought I would share this picture of the "Munson Mountain Monarch". This is the buck roaming around his domain in the summer of 2006. The picture was taken by a fellow I work with... Enjoy!!! :-D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/eyebowhunt/Copyof013_8A.jpg

Iltasyuko
11-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Thank you for posting the live photo - great pic.