PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on Crossbows??

Maxx
12-02-2007, 10:53 PM
I am decided to buy a crossbow, and I am looking for opinions on the Excalibur and 10 Point Bows?

Is the Recurve of the Excalibur an asset?

Any other general guidance for a new Crossbow hunter is appreciated, like scope choice, models, velocity etc,

thanks

calvin L
12-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Buy the excalibur the ten point has been having the saftey break on them
.A friend has been selling excalibus for 15 year only the only problem so far is the paint started to peel on one model (but that would not stop me from hunting.)I have shot both they are nice but I do like the excalibur more . The recurve works fine. No cam's less crap to go wrong and lighter .Good luck and enjoy . I would buy a hoyt compound (lol)

Calvin L

Radar
12-03-2007, 06:58 AM
I have an excalibur and love it, very accurate.

Maxx
12-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the Info Guys. I am looking at the Phoenix package, is this a good place to start??

Maxx
12-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Any opinions on the PSE Viper crossbow?

http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?p=PRN01077

12-03-2007, 04:12 PM
After looking at what Excalibur and 10 pt had to offer, l choose the phantom by 10 pt........haven't used it much yet, but am really impressed with the performance so far. :) Mounted an Excalibur scope on it with the illuminated cross hairs, set the speed ring to your bows specs and the scope gives you your hold over for various distances

Bow Walker
12-03-2007, 04:41 PM
PM brotherjack here on this site. He is quite knowledgable about Crossbows. He'll help you for sure.

mooseless
12-05-2007, 11:26 PM
I bought the Excalibur Equinox this year and am very happy. I did some research before I bought, but not alot. I took a 3 point White tail at 18yrds in November with it. It did the job. I would prefer to use it now rather than my rifle.

EricTheRed
01-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Anybody know if the Horton Steel Force performs better with 100 gr or 125 gr?

358win
01-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Any opinions on the PSE Viper crossbow?

I just got one of these and am amazed at it's accuracy so far.

loki
01-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Anybody know if the Horton Steel Force performs better with 100 gr or 125 gr?

Let's not hijack this thread shall we?

Here's an answer to your question. (http://huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=227397#post227397)

Is the Recurve of the Excalibur an asset?Yes, although from my experience it's a little louder than compounds, but not by much.

Where they are an asset is;
They have less regulations on where you can use them. I don't have my copy of the hunting regs with me, but you can use the same recurve in more areas/on more game than a compound. The regs break compounds up into different categories, above 150lbs and below 150lbs, whereas there's only one category on recurve. Once again, I don't have my regs here, so I know I'm wrong on the exact wording/specs, but you get the point.
Compounds don't hold the KE as well as recurve due to let off. Let off is a good thing in normal bows that have enough draw length to compensate for starting the arrow at 10 - 20 lbs, where as a crossbow doesn't have that room for error in it's power stroke (draw length). So for my own example having an Exocet 200, once I squeeze the trigger the arrow starts it's flight at 200lbs of force, and stays at 200lbs of force by the time it's at the end of the power stroke.
Recurves in most cases are field servicable. Break a string, and you can have a new one on there without any stringing aids. Drop it on the ground and you don't have to worry about cams breaking. Etc...
I am looking at the Phoenix package, is this a good place to start??Yes, it's a very good starting point. Doesn't break the bank, comes with all the accessories you'll require, and has enough power to take any North American game animal, well unless you pull the coveted elephant LEH tag :razz:. Not to mention that the factory warrant is sick, just sick, my friend dry fired his, admitted to the factory that he dry fired it, and they still sent him new front limb replacements free of charge (besides paying shipping). Best warranty service ever...

Any other general guidance for a new Crossbow hunter is appreciated, like scope choice, models, velocity etc

Well I swear by the Excalibur scopes, even though they do have the gremlin of magnification. As long as you know the distance to the game, and use the appropriate cross hair, I only see magnification as a tool to better see the vital area of the animal. However magnification can give an unexperienced user an impression of the animal being closer, and the shot being better than what it is, as crossbows just don't have the power to reach out and touch something like a rifle. I however like the magnification as long as you are aware that you need to be certain of the shot before scoping the target (yardage, wind condtion, target facing, etc).

The vari-zone is magnificent, and has cross hairs for 10 yards, 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards (or if you set the first one to be 20 it's 20 yards, 30, 40, 50, 60). The only down side to the vari zone is low light conditions, as the crosshair becomes a little blurry. This is where the lumi zone comes in, as it illuminates the crosshair in low light and has all of the same features of the Vari. However the down side to the Lumi is direct light conditions, as the cross hair becomes too bright and can actually blind you from the shot. Both scopes have vertical and horizon adjustment of 1 click = 1" at 20 yards, making it brain dead easy to zero in. Personally, I use the vari zone, and find my eyes are good enough to see all the way to no shooting time of dark.