PDA

View Full Version : Official HBC Coyote thread

todbartell
12-02-2007, 08:50 PM
for most of us, deer season is closed or about to close, and some of us beat the winter blues by heading out and hunting predators.

If you shoot a coyote this winter and want to share a picture or story, feel free to add to this thread. Any info on guns, bullets, scopes, calls, setups for calling, baiting, etc, can be asked here and maybe we can help out in any ways.

This morning I went out and it was pretty cold. -18 and a 20 km/hr wind with a light snow that made visibility poor. I headed out with a couple buddies and we made two stands with no luck. Yotes are smarter than us and are probably holed up somewhere nice and warm.

In the past few weeks I have taken a couple dogs, here's some pics

Nov 11 - 316 yards with 243
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_9397.JPG

Nov 25 - 340 yards with 260 Rem
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Nov_25_07_008.jpg

todbartell
12-05-2007, 01:26 PM
got out this morning and put two on the ground. Shoulda been three but I pooched that one

first one was spot/stalk and 170 yard shot. the next was an hour later, called her in and dumped her @ 120 yards.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Dec_5_07_010.jpg

Phoneguy
12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Cause I really don't know

What do you do with a Coyote? I can't imagine eating the meat? Is it just for the pelt, predator control, trophy? Not trying to stir the pot (if there is one), what is the point of shooting a coyote?

Thanks
James

todbartell
12-05-2007, 03:21 PM
pelt, predator control, and trophy for me, in no particular order. They're more fun to hunt than anything else (in my opinion).

Phoneguy
12-05-2007, 03:24 PM
pelt, predator control, and trophy for me, in no particular order. They're more fun to hunt than anything else (in my opinion).

What would you do with the pelt? Get it tanned? Sell it? Make a coat? Hang it on the wall?

todbartell
12-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I give my coyotes to a friend who skins them and gives them to a trapper I think. You can do whatever you want with the tanned pelt, I am wearing a coyote thong and fur nipple tassles as I sit here and type this :)

Phoneguy
12-05-2007, 03:34 PM
I, I am wearing a coyote thong and fur nipple tassles as I sit here and type this :)

Fur side in or out??:p

Phoneguy
12-05-2007, 03:36 PM
So it is really about the thrill of the hunt then?

todbartell
12-05-2007, 03:43 PM
for me it is. its hard to explain, but the first time you call in a coyote, you'll know the feeling. It gives a guy something to do during the winter, I dont get cabin fever anymore :lol:

Orangethunder
12-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Nice shooting, you ever get any wolves coming in?

rishu_pepper
12-05-2007, 04:23 PM
tod, I'm thinking of a budget varmint gun (scoped $500 max), I'm trying to get into coyote hunting, and perhaps the odd gopher shoot in the summer. Any good suggestions? I'm leaning towards .223 because of its availability and value.

I apologize if this is a hi-jack, PM me if you like 8)

todbartell
12-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Nice shooting, you ever get any wolves coming in?

not in a couple years

I'm thinking of a budget varmint gun (scoped $500 max)I would suggest a Stevens 200 in 223 with a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40. In a set of Leupold rifleman rings and Weaver bases, it'd be under your $500 limit (before tax). They are accurate rifles and the scope is definitely usable.

Will
12-05-2007, 04:33 PM
So it is really about the thrill of the hunt then?
That is the point of ALL Hunting in our Modern times........

Congrats Bartel........I'm gonna get out and chase some doggies pretty quick here too.
been practising all summer with my Red desert Howler and the Custom Distress call I won from you know where ! :wink:

Should be a productive winter for all of Us if things get as cold as they are predicting.....read: lots of Hungry Preds:smile:

rishu_pepper
12-05-2007, 04:37 PM
I would suggest a Stevens 200 in 223 with a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40. In a set of Leupold rifleman rings and Weaver bases, it'd be under your $500 limit (before tax). They are accurate rifles and the scope is definitely usable.

Wow you read my mind, this is exactly the config I thought about :shock:

I don't really know where to start though, I have had exactly one trip out for coyote, and it wasn't exactly a fruitful one. Coyote hunt seems like such a challenging idea (which is good), I really want to get in on it.

Wild one
12-05-2007, 05:02 PM
What are the odds calling a coyote in to bow range ( under 50yrds )

Will
12-05-2007, 05:09 PM
I'll let you know this winter...............:lol:;)

Watch some Yote calling Vids.......sometimes they get em right in thier laps:smile:

brotherjack
12-05-2007, 05:19 PM
I would suggest a Stevens 200 in 223 with a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40.

I'd say exactly the same thing in all respects, except I'd take the Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x32 instead - it's less expensive, lighter weight, and I can't tell that the optics are any worse than a Banner series (though neither will ever be mistaken for high end glass - both are more than adequate to put a bullet where it needs to go). I also think, having owned scopes from both lines, that the Sportsman series has the better design (no plastic around the turrets).

Just my $0.02 - that and $12.97 will get you coffee at Starbucks. :)

kishman
12-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I ran into this little guy while still hunting for Deer in Reg.8, quite a thrill....

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/kishman_2006/005.jpg

boonerbuck
12-05-2007, 10:43 PM

I've called quite a few into bow range. Several at 10 yards met their maker.:biggrin:

todbartell
12-06-2007, 12:25 AM
I don't really know where to start though, I have had exactly one trip out for coyote, and it wasn't exactly a fruitful one. Coyote hunt seems like such a challenging idea (which is good), I really want to get in on it.

you need a place to hunt, either private land or public land. In the lower mainland I think there is some shotgun only zones so keep that in mind before you buy a rifle. Get some calls, rabbit distress, fawn distress, howler, mouse squeeker, etc. Get an instructional dvd, Primos makes a good one called Mastering the Art. You'll want to sneak into an area and set up so the wind is in your favor and that any yote that tries to sneak in downwind and catch your scent will be exposed in the open. Be patient and sit still, and be ready. And keep at it, it may take a dozen trips or more before you finally lure one in. It'll be worth it, trust me! :razz:

boonerbuck
12-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Once you gain some confidence you will be hopelessly addicted!!:wink:

rishu_pepper
12-06-2007, 01:53 PM
you need a place to hunt, either private land or public land. In the lower mainland I think there is some shotgun only zones so keep that in mind before you buy a rifle. Get some calls, rabbit distress, fawn distress, howler, mouse squeeker, etc. Get an instructional dvd, Primos makes a good one called Mastering the Art. You'll want to sneak into an area and set up so the wind is in your favor and that any yote that tries to sneak in downwind and catch your scent will be exposed in the open. Be patient and sit still, and be ready. And keep at it, it may take a dozen trips or more before you finally lure one in. It'll be worth it, trust me! :razz:

I have a rabbit distress (3 settings for far-med-close range) call.

A HBC member says he shoots coyotes at his farm in Surrey from time to time (we hunt ducks at his place), so when the time comes I'll try it out with a shotgun first.

What would be a good area to find these critters relatively near the Lower Mainland?

And does anyone eat them or tried to? Being Chinese, I intend to give'er a go.:biggrin:

todbartell
12-06-2007, 02:06 PM
good luck, especially with the food part of it..:shock:

rishu_pepper
12-06-2007, 02:27 PM
You know, I've eaten dogs back in the old country (China) where it is a norm back in the days, and I've found it palatable. I'd imagine yotes would taste similar?

As for the pelts, do you sell it or keep it? Sell it to who? I've always wondered..

Dirty
12-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Perhaps you would like to make some of Randy Anderson's infamous coyote jerky. :shock:

boonerbuck
12-06-2007, 03:49 PM
You know, I've eaten dogs back in the old country (China) where it is a norm back in the days, and I've found it palatable. I'd imagine yotes would taste similar?

Keep this man away from my dog.....................:mrgreen::mrgreen:

rishu_pepper
12-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have all the respect for dog-owners and I would like to own a dog in the future to help me in waterfowling, but that was the old days and it's supposedly a normal thing to eat. I never lived in the old country (born in Hong Kong, came here at 12). I hear they raised them domestically like cattle specifically for consumption (no fancy breeds).

With yotes, if the hunter doesn't eat it, some animals will. Either way someone's getting a meal out of it, so why not? :-D If I don't like it, at least I can say I've tried it.

mainland hunter
12-06-2007, 04:21 PM
I just finished skinning one and cant imagine eating one, i dont even like skinning em

boonerbuck
12-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have all the respect for dog-owners and I would like to own a dog in the future to help me in waterfowling, but that was the old days and it's supposedly a normal thing to eat. I never lived in the old country (born in Hong Kong, came here at 12). I hear they raised them domestically like cattle specifically for consumption (no fancy breeds).

With yotes, if the hunter doesn't eat it, some animals will. Either way someone's getting a meal out of it, so why not? :-D If I don't like it, at least I can say I've tried it.

It would be wise to research the diseases that one can be infected with from wild canines. There are several. Know what you are doing without a doubt when preparing.

Mmmm....maybe PHC needs a recipe forum??:-?

:razz:

rishu_pepper
12-06-2007, 06:21 PM
It would be wise to research the diseases that one can be infected with from wild canines. There are several. Know what you are doing without a doubt when preparing.

Mmmm....maybe PHC needs a recipe forum??:-?

:razz:

Undoubtedly there is the risk of diseases, as with any other game animal, and we take the utmost care when preparing game.

With that said, if it's clean, I'll be the first one to try it. Yes, they are scavengers and they eat junk, but there's a couple of species down in the ocean floor that do the same, and we value them highly too (lobsters and crabs anyone? :wink:). If it tastes like what it eats, then I just won't eat it again, but trying it out is the least I can do.

Barracuda
12-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I love my dogs but I would have no qualms about eating one. In some places they are just livestock no differnt then chickens etc..
tell us how it tastes

Big7
12-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Many a coyote I've shot with their head burried up the back end of a dead cow that's been there for a few weeks...not trying to discourage anyone from trying to eat one, but....in that case, if that's what they're feeding on - you know the ol saying you are what you eat!

rishu_pepper
12-06-2007, 06:56 PM
There ya go, that's the way to look at things. I mean, we eat beef all the time, people in India would think we're crazy because cows are sacred there; it's a similar situation, many of us see dogs as "man's best friend" so we don't eat them, but maybe some people who don't have dogs as pets will have no problems eating them.

I remember dog tasted like lamb (or at least a good tasting one should, it's what I've heard from the old-timers). I've eaten my share of weird/exotic food, most recently, in Japan, (raw) whale tongue and heart, fried whale (tastes really good, if you ever visit Japan be sure to try it out!).

I love my dogs but I would have no qualms about eating one. In some places they are just livestock no differnt then chickens etc..
tell us how it tastes

Will
12-06-2007, 07:14 PM
I know a Local Fella (oriental) more of a Friend of a friend really.

At any rate he doesn't hunt them specifically but if he does get one by chance, usually while deer hunting etc. he skins it and takes it home like any other edible critter ! Even feeds it to the whole family :grin:

FWIW: you will not get anything if consuming Dog meat wild or otherwise...just make sure it's well done as ALL meat should be.

Having skinned my 1st yote last year I can say I won't be trying one for dinner anytime soon...I actually barfed in my mouthhttp://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/Smilies/puke.gif

Kody94
12-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I've tried eating coyote. I'd have to be aweful friggin hungry to ever try it again. :shock:

Cheers,
4ster

rishu_pepper
12-06-2007, 08:54 PM
..I actually barfed in my mouthhttp://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/Smilies/puke.gif

Not trying to be a smarty-pants, but what made you barf? You didn't eat it right? Do they look ugly or what is it? I figure most of the animals insides/skinned look similar ;)

I've tried eating coyote. I'd have to be aweful friggin hungry to ever try it again. :shock:

Cheers,
4ster

At least you tried, kudos

brotherjack
12-06-2007, 08:57 PM
just make sure it's well done as ALL meat should be.

Oh come now, for dogs and bears and such, sure, crisp it on up - but ungulate tastes best when you cook it less! A good elk steak should be off the grill and in my belly before the middle gets more than warm. :)

:)

Dirty
12-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Rishu Pepper, How would you cook the coyote? Stew? Sausage? Stir fry?

boonerbuck
12-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Not trying to be a smarty-pants, but what made you barf? You didn't eat it right? Do they look ugly or what is it? I figure most of the animals insides/skinned look similar :wink:

For most people skinning a yote takes some getting used to. Looking similar...sure, the smell....absolutely gross and makes deer guts smell like flowers.

After a few yotes have been tossed in the back of my truck I consider burning it. Last year it wasnt to bad because the gore was frozen. Once I went to the lower mainland and it thawed, I was expecting to be pulled over by homicide and have a forensics unit go over my truck for evidence. Even after a good steaming pressure wash the smell is there for months.

I use tote bins now. I have a "4 coyote bun".:-D

Will
12-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Not trying to be a smarty-pants, but what made you barf? You didn't eat it right? Do they look ugly or what is it? I figure most of the animals insides/skinned look similar ;)
Believe me I've skinned enough Old stinky rotten Bears that would make most people blow chunks.........even one on a warm spring hunt that got away to be recovered 2 days later..........smell doesn't even decribe that one, my bud and I wore nose plugs, the flies were fierce:|

Coyotes just plain stink........it's really bad, at least the one I did, smelled like it urinated all over itself x10 ! :?

FWIW: even the insides stunk.......I just couldn't imagine eating one, ever ! :confused:

Will
12-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh come now, for dogs and bears and such, sure, crisp it on up - but ungulate tastes best when you cook it less! A good elk steak should be off the grill and in my belly before the middle gets more than warm. :)
Believe me I enjoy a Nice Med rare steak too:-D...........however the Fact remains that 99.9% of ALL meat born illnesses can be eliminated by thoroughly cooking the meat (e-coli, mad cow, trich etc. etc. etc.):wink:

Dirty
12-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Believe me I enjoy a Nice Med rare steak too:-D...........however the Fact remains that 99.9% of ALL meat born illnesses can be eliminated by thoroughly cooking the meat (e-coli, mad cow, trich etc. etc. etc.):wink:

Mad Cow cannot be killed by thoroughly cooking the meat.

Will
12-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Mad Cow cannot be killed by thoroughly cooking the meat.
Well you got me....Mad cow would take a much higher temp then normally used for cooking.

Unless one eats the brain, spinal cord and other nervous tissues from said infected beastie you'll probably be safe........

Solid cuts are always safer then Ground up products, sausages, etc. like everything.

Sorry for misleading anyone.........:oops:

PLEASE everyone, don't eat any BSE infected Cow brains because I told you so.......even thoroughly cooked ones:smile:

BlacktailStalker
12-06-2007, 10:14 PM
If you dont like yotes, take a whiff of a wolf. They sleep in the whole packs piss and dump and are 3 times as big :)
Putrid to say the least.

Dirty
12-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks Will, Members are planning on eating coyotes, lord knows what else they will eat.

rishu_pepper
12-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks Will, Members are planning on eating coyotes, lord knows what else they will eat.

Why not crows? We shoot them all the time don't we? Some people actually eat them, I believe. :tongue:

http://www.crowbusters.com/

Will
12-06-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm gonna tell BigHunterFish that Tod tastes like chicken...........:tongue:

Yep I don't want anyone being led astray by wrong info !

Eat Crow ??? ........I do that alot :oops::redface: see above posts:rolleyes:

Dirty
12-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Rishu Pepper, you never answered my question. How do you plan on cooking up them coyotes?

rishu_pepper
12-06-2007, 10:53 PM
It'll be a Chinese variety, something akin to a stew. We use a similar usually for lamb. I won't be the one cooking it, but an old timer at church used to eat/cook them back in the days, so I'll let him have the honours.

Maybe someone can donate a yote (at least the meat) so I can try it out? All this talk about cooking gets me hungry :tongue:

Jetboat
12-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Eating coyotes? You have got to be kidding! The thought of it alone is absolutely nasty. Ever skin one Rishu Pepper? You may as well devour your own excrement :shock:

Dirty
12-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Rishu Pepper, you ruined my Chinese stereotype. I was thinking more along Sweet and Sour Coyote, Coyote Broccoli and Black Bean Sauce, Coyote Chowmein, Steamed Coyote Dumpling, Coyote Fried Rice and so on.

Will
12-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Steamed Coyote Dumpling
Well I can prepare that one for you..........:wink:
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/Yotes2006/IMG_1436.JPG

Dirty
12-06-2007, 11:12 PM
mmmmm on a bed of rice. Now all I need is some soy sauce.:-P

rishu_pepper
12-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Rishu Pepper, you ruined my Chinese stereotype. I was thinking more along Sweet and Sour Coyote, Coyote Broccoli and Black Bean Sauce, Coyote Chowmein, Steamed Coyote Dumpling, Coyote Fried Rice and so on.

Heh, those are the most stereotyped Chinese food, even we don't eat it often; the above dishes are like saying every Canadian eats poutine :p (I do love poutine).

And I highly doubt it's as bad as eating excrement. Excrement doesn't laugh at me when I miss from 10 yards. :biggrin:

todbartell
12-06-2007, 11:34 PM
PLEASE everyone, don't eat any BSE infected Cow brains because I told you so.......even thoroughly cooked ones:smile:

:lol::mrgreen:

Jetboat
12-06-2007, 11:39 PM
I was thinking more along Sweet and Sour Coyote, Coyote Broccoli and Black Bean Sauce, Coyote Chowmein, Steamed Coyote Dumpling, Coyote Fried Rice and so on.
Aw man, you're gonna ruin my love for Chinese food if you keep talking like that ;)

Big7
12-07-2007, 12:20 AM
rishu pepper....

If you honestly would like to try coyote - go kill one! You'll be suprised at how challenging and rewarding it can be to hunt the little buggers.

Let us know how it tastes because it is clear that there aren't many people who have shot one, skinned one, smelled one etc. that will every EAT one themselves (myself included!!!)

Oh would I like to be a fly on the wall when......!!

rishu_pepper
12-07-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm gonna try, you can be sure of that!

Jetboat
12-07-2007, 01:40 AM
I'm gonna try, you can be sure of that!

Try to kill one or try to (puke) eat one?

Mr. Dean
12-07-2007, 02:13 AM
How many people denounce the eating of Bear, for the SAME exact reasons as stated here for Yotes?
WTS. I love Bear..... Maybe I should try a Yote then. :idea:
Hell, I'll do near anything once. :shock:

And you guys consider yourselves as REAL men. :rolleyes:

YOTE BQ @ RISHU'S PLACE!!!

Easy on the ginger though...
Any room on the plate for Squirrels - I gots me a LOT of Squirrels around here. http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6981&cat=500&ppuser=1206

rishu_pepper
12-07-2007, 08:11 AM
How many people denounce the eating of Bear, for the SAME exact reasons as stated here for Yotes?
WTS. I love Bear..... Maybe I should try a Yote then. :idea:
Hell, I'll do near anything once. :shock:

YOTE BQ @ RISHU'S PLACE!!!

Easy on the ginger though...
Any room on the plate for Squirrels - I gots me a LOT of Squirrels around here. http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6981&cat=500&ppuser=1206

Finally, some support :wink:

Seriously though, if that Chinese yote stew comes out nicely, I'll be sure to save a bowl or two for you guys, then whoever's man enough can come on down and grab a bite!

Actually, there's a clubhouse in our townhouse complex which would make for great gatherings, though I don't think the residents will be much too happy to see us cooking up coyotes on the BBQ

Scobo
12-07-2007, 08:44 AM
never even crossed my mind but i don't think i could eat a yote...but i have heard of lots of guys that eat cougars and claim it is, in their opinion better then deer (i didn't and don't believe them)...is there a difference between eating a yote and cougar?

Big7
12-07-2007, 10:39 AM

I consider myself a "smart" man and I know my limits!

As Kenny Rogers would say..."you gotta know when to hold em (eat), know when to fold em (not eat!)"

Cheers!!

rishu_pepper
12-07-2007, 10:45 AM
I consider myself a "smart" man and I know my limits!

As Kenny Rogers would say..."you gotta know when to hold em (eat), know when to fold em (not eat!)"

Cheers!!

"Know when to walk away, know when to run! (grizzly attack!!) :lol:"

But yeah I don't have anything against anyone who doesn't think of eating a yote as a good idea. Personally I just like to try new foods, my dad, my sister, and I are the same, but my mom and my brother would never do such a thing, so it doesn't run completely in the family :cool:

todbartell
12-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Personally I just like to try new foods

but coyote meat isnt "food"...might as well eat Will's brown dumpling over that plate of snow

Scottish Warrior
12-07-2007, 11:03 AM
You want to eat coyote, fill your boots but comparing bear meat to coyote meat is just plain..........well........silly.

Personally I would not even consider eating any member of the K9 family, wild, domestic or otherwise, full stop.

And by the way, dogs are NOT livestock in this culture, they are valued companions, trusted lookouts and to some of us, members of our family.

Enjoy your stew. :eek:

lip_ripper00
12-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Actually, there's a clubhouse in our townhouse complex which would make for great gatherings, though I don't think the residents will be much too happy to see us cooking up coyotes on the BBQ

Just put an apple in it's mouth and they would never know the difference, sorry Im busey that day:tongue:

rishu_pepper
12-07-2007, 12:00 PM
You want to eat coyote, fill your boots but comparing bear meat to coyote meat is just plain..........well........silly.

Personally I would not even consider eating any member of the K9 family, wild, domestic or otherwise, full stop.

And by the way, dogs are NOT livestock in this culture, they are valued companions, trusted lookouts and to some of us, members of our family.

I wasn't the one who compared bear with coyote, I've eaten bear once but forgot how it tastes.

Like I said, I have all the respect for dogs and dog owners, thinking of getting one when I have my own family. I've never hated dogs, I think they're great. But the topic is about eating yotes, not dogs. I'm not out here to offend any dog owners, but if inadvertently I have done so, I am sorry. :oops:

Hypothetically, if a culture values deer as a pet/companion (this is just a make-believe situation, I don't know any cultures that does that), how does one think they would react, when they see us hunting deer and eating venison steak/sausage? Just something to think about, putting things in perspective.

Mr. Dean
12-07-2007, 02:22 PM
I wasn't comparing bears w/ yotes.... I was comparing remarks made by others that run parallel w/ the 2 critters.

Im in for a bowl puppy of stew!!!!!!! What the hell, ya can't knock it until ya tried it.

Yippy Yahoo!

Nailgunslinger
12-07-2007, 06:40 PM

http://www.americanbear.org/Evolution%20-%20Taxonomy.htm

Bears are closly related to dogs and as such the Canine family.

jjensen20
12-07-2007, 07:10 PM
I've been thinking of getting a 17 HMR has anyone hunted coyotes with this caliber? the .270 leaves to big of an exit wound :lol:

Pete
12-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I've been thinking of getting a 17 HMR has anyone hunted coyotes with this caliber? the .270 leaves to big of an exit wound :lol:
This cal .17 HMR is a coyote crippler. They are designed for smaller game. Coyotes are tough. On 2 seperate occasions I have even dug out .22 bullets out of the skulls of coyote that I had caught in traps and were perfectly health until they got caught. Go to the .17 center fire or my own personal favorite a 22-250.
Pete

Will
12-07-2007, 08:46 PM
8 Pages of Crap on this and only Two Guys posting up Yotes......:lol:

:-?

Jetboat
12-07-2007, 10:45 PM
8 Pages of Crap on this and only Two Guys posting up Yotes

Right you are :lol: Here's a couple who met their maker during my deer hunting forrays a couple weeks ago. Both were taken with my new .270 WSM/140gr Accubond combo. NOT fur friendly! That's what my .223 is for ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/338winmag/IMG_2522.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/338winmag/IMG_2506.jpg

Will
12-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Here's a couple who met their maker during my deer hunting forrays a couple weeks ago.
Now we're Talking ! Cool :cool:
I Might get off the couch this year yet......;-)

JoshLedoux
12-07-2007, 10:56 PM
That second pic Is fantastic jetboat. the green eyes and bared teeth!

Pete
12-07-2007, 11:20 PM
I still havn't figured out the picture posting yet but if you want pictues I do have a bunch.
Pete

Mr. Dean
12-08-2007, 10:25 AM
http://www.americanbear.org/Evolution%20-%20Taxonomy.htm

Bears are closly related to dogs and as such the Canine family.

:eek:

The horror of it all...

StoneChaser
12-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Called this pair this morning...-30C has 'em a little hungry (grin) (280AI 140gr TSX)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/P1010116.jpg

Picked these 2 up a over the few weeks previous (280AI - 140gr TSX)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/P1010114.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/Spotter041.jpg

Husky7mm
12-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Drove to edmonton from cranbrook during that last cold snap and saw 20 coyotes:shock:, made me want to move back. Wish I could have been shooting:twisted:

Archer
12-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Heading out tomorrow morn to try and get one with my bow. Had a few close encounters (misses) so far, but I'll keep trying and maybe my time will come. Gonna try my fox decoy, and a fawn distress call. I have heard that coyotes hate foxes and will do anything to get at them, so hopefully I'll have one come within 40 yrds. If I score, you guys will hear about it for sure.

Wildfoot
12-08-2007, 11:01 PM
im hoping to do some yote hunting this winter. If i bag one I will have to try the meat. I am very interested. Grind up some yote with a little calf moose meat and you can make predator/prey burgers! Maybe some deer meat and yote sausage on a bagel and call it the circle of life.

Mr. Dean
12-09-2007, 12:15 AM
... the circle of life.

Now we're talkin!

Mtn Wonderer
12-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Eating Sick!!! Coyotes are for calling, shooting, skinning, stretching and selliing!!!!

MW

StoneChaser
12-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Proof todbartell was hunting nearby last winter...check out the front leg on "Tripod".

Called this guy into 35yds this AM and my buddy shot him. It was his first called in coyote, we were sitting 2 feet apart....man was he pumped!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/P1010119.jpg

Will
12-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Proof todbartell was hunting nearby last winter...check out the front leg on "Tripod".
hahaha !
Looks pretty plump for a 3 legged fella ! :smile:

Dirty
12-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Wow look at his face too, you must feel good shooting a 3 legged cokehead coyote ;). All kidding aside nice job!

rocksteady
12-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Took a double yesterday...One male, one female.....

Sorry about the blood, it froze instantly when I pulled them out of the truck....

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/coyotes/Dec9.jpg

boonerbuck
12-10-2007, 02:12 PM

Called this guy into 35yds this AM and my buddy shot him. It was his first called in coyote, we were sitting 2 feet apart....man was he pumped!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/P1010119.jpg

Toooooo funny!:razz:

Grandbois
12-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Posted by wildfoot:
"im hoping to do some yote hunting this winter. If i bag one I will have to try the meat. I am very interested. Grind up some yote with a little calf moose meat and you can make predator/prey burgers! Maybe some deer meat and yote sausage on a bagel and call it the circle of life."

LMAO

270 short mag.
12-13-2007, 11:15 AM
What kind of scope do you have and # power?
Luking good!

Salty
12-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Someone back there was asking about eating cougar. (The 4 legged kind):lol:

Haven't tryed it myself but have talked to several guys around here that did so at the wild game banquet and thought it wasn't bad. One guy in particular is right in to it and asked that if I or anyone I know gets a cougar give him a call right away and he'll help skinning it if he gets the meat!:o

wolverine
12-13-2007, 07:00 PM
I don't think I've laughed that hard at a thread in ages! I have to admit I gagged a few times too. It brought back all those old smelly memories from when we used to trap those buggers and skin 'em out. Man, you can feast on 'em if you want.... they're all yours! Like someone else said, "I'd love to be a fly on the wall when...." Please, shoot some video of that first dilectable bite and post it. Absolutely hilarious!:biggrin:

todbartell
12-13-2007, 08:52 PM
What kind of scope do you have and # power?

both of my dedicated coyote rifles wear 3-9x40mm scopes. A Leupold VXII on my 243 and a Burris Fullfield II on my 221 Fireball (a coyote virgin)

Mr. Dean
12-14-2007, 01:10 AM
I don't think I've laughed that hard at a thread in ages! I have to admit I gagged a few times too. It brought back all those old smelly memories from when we used to trap those buggers and skin 'em out. Man, you can feast on 'em if you want.... they're all yours! Like someone else said, "I'd love to be a fly on the wall when...." Please, shoot some video of that first dilectable bite and post it. Absolutely hilarious!:biggrin:

Hey rishu;
Bring me my bowl of puppy chow to the party @ Jimmy Mac's, Sunday night.

Everybody else;
Bring your digi cams!

http://forums.naturalparenting.com.au/images/smilie/puke.gifWe'll see how far it goes around...

rishu_pepper
12-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Hey rishu;
Bring me my bowl of puppy chow to the party @ Jimmy Mac's, Sunday night.

Everybody else;
Bring your digi cams!

http://forums.naturalparenting.com.au/images/smilie/puke.gifWe'll see how far it goes around...

Someone needs to donate me a yote, I haven't shot one yet, remember? :biggrin:

Mr. Dean
12-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Someone needs to donate me a yote, I haven't shot one yet, remember? :biggrin:
Nope, missed that.
Here I was thinking that I was REALLY goin to get a sample of Fu-Chu Chow. :smile:

Dang it!

rishu_pepper
12-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Nope, missed that.
Here I was thinking that I was REALLY goin to get a sample of Fu-Chu Chow. :smile:

Dang it!

Don't worry, I promise the first time I cook up a yote stew, you'll be the first HBC member to taste it! :cool:

todbartell
01-12-2008, 07:31 PM
finally whacked another yote, after missing a gimme yesterday on a brain cramp shot

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Fireball_s_First.jpg

the first kill for my 221 Fireball. 301 yard frontal shot and he didnt make it more than a couple feet. a nice male with almost zero fur damage from the 40 grain ballistic tip

LeverActionJunkie
01-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Nice dog Bartell. It's always nice to pop a rifles cherry hey :) I feel bad for my guns that haven't killed yet :)

Salty
01-14-2008, 04:06 PM
finally whacked another yote, after missing a gimme yesterday on a brain cramp shot

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Fireball_s_First.jpg

the first kill for my 221 Fireball. 301 yard frontal shot and he didnt make it more than a couple feet. a nice male with almost zero fur damage from the 40 grain ballistic tip

Nice shot Dad. :cool:

Elk-Aholic
01-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Stroked one this morning with the .223, finally got the dust out of the barrel this year. Gone again tomarrow morning to see if another song dog will try his luck playing with lead.

Caveman
01-22-2008, 08:20 PM
:) I feel bad for my guns that haven't killed yet :)
Well at least the're not lonely.....:lol: :lol:

rocksteady
01-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Small female - 200 yard shot with .243, bang flop...Poor Pelt...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/coyotes/Jan24pic1.jpg