PDA

View Full Version : First Time Snow Hunting Tips?

maze
02-15-2023, 11:52 AM
I'm in the Lower Mainland, and i'm going to be trying to hunt snows for my first time this season. I will be hunting from a layout blind, using a small spread of ~60 decoys (shells and socks). I have a snow call.

Any general tips to help a noobie out?

Also, is mixing light and dark decoys feasible? If so, i could increase my spread to ~100 decoys.

Thanks!

maze
02-17-2023, 04:07 PM
Nothing? Dang, guess i'll go the experimental route.

silveragent
02-18-2023, 09:42 AM
When I started I got suckered into hunting for snows. For some reason the year I started hunting waterfowl snows were very naive and they were unbelievably abundant at Brunswick Pt. I started accumulating snowie socks and I think eventually I ended up with 70 or so. However, Brunswick stopped being productive and the snowies started wising up and I rarely saw them come down there. Flying over, yes, but it got to be quite a pain bringing out bags of socks and then seeing nothing!

I last had some good success when I was invited onto a farm a couple years back. If you have a field scouted out - good on you. I found snowies will come down with motion - use a flag - and with big blobs of them but given my experience I can't claim any expertise.

Young ones will come down to anything including people walking around. I got my share shooting greys just as I was packing up or setting up. They came down to humans walking around in the open. It was crazy.

And I love eating them though!

Where are you going?

maze
02-18-2023, 02:50 PM
When I started I got suckered into hunting for snows. For some reason the year I started hunting waterfowl snows were very naive and they were unbelievably abundant at Brunswick Pt. I started accumulating snowie socks and I think eventually I ended up with 70 or so. However, Brunswick stopped being productive and the snowies started wising up and I rarely saw them come down there. Flying over, yes, but it got to be quite a pain bringing out bags of socks and then seeing nothing!

I last had some good success when I was invited onto a farm a couple years back. If you have a field scouted out - good on you. I found snowies will come down with motion - use a flag - and with big blobs of them but given my experience I can't claim any expertise.

Young ones will come down to anything including people walking around. I got my share shooting greys just as I was packing up or setting up. They came down to humans walking around in the open. It was crazy.

And I love eating them though!

Where are you going?

Thanks for the tips!

I was lucky enough to be able to get access to a couple chunks of land to hunt on, and one of them had massive snow flocks overhead when i was targeting ducks and geese in them. I'm hoping they return the same way they left (i'll be scouting, of course).

silveragent
02-20-2023, 09:44 AM
Good luck to you. Getting access is like most of the battle now it seems.