PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scope Advice

Citori54
02-10-2023, 10:33 PM
Looking for a decent spotting scope primarily for use at the rifle range to 200 yards but will get some field use. With most of my gear, especially optics, I typically go with "buy once cry once" credo. My binos are top end Zeiss and my scopes are Leupold. However, at my age, I am not sure how many high mountain type hunts I have left in me, and am a little reluctant to go crazy on a scope that may only see the range. My heart says Swaro or Kowa (I like the very light TSN 554), but my brain says Vortex Diamondback 16-48 x 65. Anyone have any experience with the Diamondback? Is it good enough for the range and some field time or am I deluding myself? Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Steeleco
02-11-2023, 10:11 AM
I had a Diamondback and was happy but needed more range for the hills. I bought an Athlon. Rated as good at the Razor for much less money

https://athlonoptics.com/product/ares-g2-uhd-20-60x85-45-degree/

BradC
02-11-2023, 10:32 AM
I don’t have any experience with the Diamondback or Kowa spotters. Lots of guys sh*t talk vortex but I personally don’t think you can beat them in some situations. The Diamondbacks are made in China, vipers are made in the Philippines, razors are made in Japan.

I have 2 viper rifle scopes, razor binos and a razor spotter. I did upgrade to swaro el range binos (bought used) spend 90% of my time looking through them. If you said you wanted to get into sheep and goat hunting spending hours behind it, 100% I’d say swaro, Zeiss or Leica but for what you mentioned Vortex. Figure out what model you want angled, straight, 65 or 85mm and what they’re worth new. Watch the used section, I’d much rather have a used viper than a new diamondback for the same money. No questions asked warranty if you ever have an issue.

I’ve bought all my vortex used except my razor binos I bought new. I had to send my razor spotter back it had specks/imperfections in the glass. Think it was gone 3 weeks, came back with a new eye piece. I had to pay shipping one way $20-30.

For your intended use a diamondback would probably be fine, if you buy a used one and want to upgrade one day down the road you’d probably get most if not all your money back.

Weatherby Fan
02-11-2023, 11:54 AM
For the range a Vortex Viper HD would be fine, definitely go angled eyepiece so much more versatile to look through,
my brother has both the Vioer HD and the Razor HD, optics are slightly better on the razor but functionality/ease of use was much better, if mostly for the range I would go 85mm as weight wouldn’t be a concern and the extra brightness will help seeing bullet holes, if you plan on backpacking it around go 65mm and again definitely angled eyepiece.
can’t comment on the Diamond Back as have never looked through one

Otto1946
02-11-2023, 12:58 PM
My third spotter over some 40+ years is a Leica 62, armoured and it is the BEST available, IMHO. I also have my second Zeiss bin, bought in 1975 and my Leica Trinovids, 10x42. I just bought a new Leica 8x42 Noctivid and it is incredible. Great glass is worth it, IME and is among the most important hunting tools.

Citori54
02-11-2023, 02:26 PM
Than ks for all of the input guys.

REMINGTON JIM
02-15-2023, 09:03 PM
Bushnell Forge 20-60x80 angled :) RJ

sako79
02-15-2023, 10:55 PM
Kowa 773 is better glass than the swaro ats

SwaroDog
02-16-2023, 05:34 AM
I owned the Diamondback and I noticed a huge difference when looking through premium glass especially if your glassing for hours. Also, I know the Mindful Hunter is currently doing a detailed review on like 7 top end spotters. He will probably have it finished within the next month. He usually goes into great detail and I would wait to see what he has to say before pulling the trigger. He is on youtube and has a podcast.

300rum700
02-16-2023, 08:13 AM
Not sure what the vortex is worth but for the range kowa spotters are well worth the money.

Citori54
02-16-2023, 08:30 AM
I have decided against the Vortex and am leaning to the Athlon Ares. I have read great things about the Kowa line. Here is a link to a good review on spotters:

https://backwoodspursuit.com/best-spotting-scope-for-hunting/

Citori54
03-15-2023, 02:53 PM
Brain is telling me Athlon Ares 15-45 x 65, heart is telling me Kowa 554 15-45x55 because of optic quality and extreme light weight (28ozs). Challenge is finding them to look through - kind of reluctant to spend $1000 - $2000 without having tried them. Reviews are very good for both, but being an eye glass wearer I want to confirm eye relief. Anyone have any experience with either of these two,and anyone on the south Island have either a guy might look through?

BigBanger
11-08-2023, 01:35 AM
What scope did you end up with? I am seriously considering the Kowa tsn 773. Patiently waiting for a sale...

sako79
11-08-2023, 06:28 AM
What scope did you end up with? I am seriously considering the Kowa tsn 773. Patiently waiting for a sale...

Apparently the kowa 773 and 774 are now discontinued

Citori54
11-08-2023, 01:14 PM

After looking at a lot of scopes I ended up going with the Athlon Ares 15-45 x 65 in the angled version. I don't think there is a better option for the price - $995 taxes/delivery all in. Does it match the Swaro ATS 25-50 x 65, no but it is pretty good glass for the money. Took it on an elk/moose trip this fall and was very happy with it - unfortunately it allowed me to identify the bull elk at last light on the last day as a 5 x 5:lol:. I was able to determine a short 7th point on an Island elk at 800 yards in the evening when out wildlife viewing. If I was younger and still had mountain sheep hunts on the menu I would have gone for the alpha glass but this is very much adequate for my hunting and range work.

BigBanger
11-09-2023, 12:51 AM
After looking at a lot of scopes I ended up going with the Athlon Ares 15-45 x 65 in the angled version. I don't think there is a better option for the price - $995 taxes/delivery all in. Does it match the Swaro ATS 25-50 x 65, no but it is pretty good glass for the money. Took it on an elk/moose trip this fall and was very happy with it - unfortunately it allowed me to identify the bull elk at last light on the last day as a 5 x 5:lol:. I was able to determine a short 7th point on an Island elk at 800 yards in the evening when out wildlife viewing. If I was younger and still had mountain sheep hunts on the menu I would have gone for the alpha glass but this is very much adequate for my hunting and range work.

Well, it sounds like a solid choice that worked out for you. Awesome, I appreciate the response. Thank you.

DStewart
11-09-2023, 06:36 AM
I have run a 773 for one year now. I have been extremely happy with it, as well as anyone who has looked through it. I was set on an ATS, but could not track one down. For the weight, and increase in objective it is great for what it is. A climb in price will likely give you some optical improvement, but I am super pleased with my decision. The new 663 would be a great choice, and the smaller 55 if you were not hunting sheep.

jlirot
01-30-2024, 04:59 PM
I've decided I need a spotting scope so time to fire this thread back up.

I travel a bunch to the states so I can buy something when I'm down there.

Anybody have experience with these?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/athlon-optics-argos-20-60x85mm-hd-spotting-scope.html?_iv_code=28W-SS-AG206085HD-314001

Steeleco
01-30-2024, 05:13 PM
I bought the self same spotter from the same outlet. The only place in Canada was Wolverine and they had no stock for months. 2 other US outlets wouldn't sell to a Canadian!! I tried to pay at OP online but they are only set up for zip code addresses. I was about to give up when a rep called me back and took all my details right there and then. Got the scope to my Sumas PO box in 3 days.

Great service and better scope. If you can swing it in person all the better, and you're 1st $800 is duty free if your down long enough!!

358mag
01-30-2024, 06:09 PM
Any spotting scope is only as good as the tripod
Dont cheap out on a tripod , you can thank me later .

jlirot
01-30-2024, 07:11 PM
Thanks Steel! Yeah, I'm lucky because I have 2 passports and travel a lot so I can buy stuff easier than most. Crazy the price difference for some stuff (US vs Canada).

Glad to hear that you like the spotter! That makes my decision much easier. :-)

I bought the self same spotter from the same outlet. The only place in Canada was Wolverine and they had no stock for months. 2 other US outlets wouldn't sell to a Canadian!! I tried to pay at OP online but they are only set up for zip code addresses. I was about to give up when a rep called me back and took all my details right there and then. Got the scope to my Sumas PO box in 3 days.

Great service and better scope. If you can swing it in person all the better, and you're 1st $800 is duty free if your down long enough!!

bcsteve
01-30-2024, 08:15 PM
Check with Jerry at Mystic Precision. I got the Athlon Ares Gen II 15-45x65 HD just before Christmas from him. Good reputation, price and shipping.

jlirot
01-30-2024, 09:06 PM
Thanks Steel! Yeah, I'm lucky because I have 2 passports and travel a lot so I can buy stuff easier than most. Crazy the price difference for some stuff (US vs Canada).

Glad to hear that you like the spotter! That makes my decision much easier. :-)

high horse Hal
01-31-2024, 10:13 AM
Check with Jerry at Mystic Precision. I got the Athlon Ares Gen II 15-45x65 HD just before Christmas from him. Good reputation, price and shipping.I pondered an Athlon but leaning toward the 60X for range work the 85mm would be ok. I reason why the 65mm for field work but wish they did a 60X in 65mm

high horse Hal
01-31-2024, 10:24 AM
If National Geographic puts their name on something, it should be decent quality, no?

https://redcarpettelescopes.com/en-ca/collections/spotting-scopes/products/national-geographic-20-60x60mm-spotting-scope-80-12060
https://www.amazon.ca/National-Geographic-20-60x60-Distance-Telescope/dp/B00ASJRVGE

one price near $300, the other less than $100, RCT for the win

jlirot
01-31-2024, 10:38 AM
RCT has the same one I just ordered from Optics Planet - for $200 more.

https://redcarpettelescopes.com/en-ca/products/athlon-optics-argos-20-60-85mm-hd-45-degree-spotting-scope-314001?_pos=7&_sid=c8479dfe5&_ss=r

THe National Geographic one is interesting.

I bought a cheapie a while back - I can't even see my targets at 200 yards with it. :-)

If National Geographic puts their name on something, it should be decent quality, no?

https://redcarpettelescopes.com/en-ca/collections/spotting-scopes/products/national-geographic-20-60x60mm-spotting-scope-80-12060
https://www.amazon.ca/National-Geographic-20-60x60-Distance-Telescope/dp/B00ASJRVGE

one price near $300, the other less than $100, RCT for the win

high horse Hal
01-31-2024, 06:41 PM
RCT has the same one I just ordered from Optics Planet - for $200 more.You calculate the exchange differnet than I do