PDA

View Full Version : Collapseable shooting sticks or bipod?

spock
12-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Collapseable shooting sticks or bipod which do you prefer. I've been using a bi pod and was wondering if the shooting sticks could do the same thing with less weight, and be more convenient to take on and off.

Gateholio
12-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Basically- The stix are handier and more versatile, the bipods are steadier- Especially from prone.

Bipods are clunky to carry attached to your rifle, get snagged on foliage and make off hand shooting more challenging, but they are awesome when you are taking a long shot from a prone or semi prone position.

I always thougth the integral bipods on the Steyr Scout rifle looked slick, but I don't recall ever using one.

Most times I have some shooting stix with me, I rarely have a bipod with me. Stix are very steady from a seated position, especially if you have a back rest, liek a tree or boulder.:smile:

mikek blacktail
12-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Ihaven't used them but check out slingstix online they look interesting

Kechika
12-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Take a look at the SnipePod.Best of both worlds in my opinion

todbartell
12-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Stoney Point steady stix is all I use, but in some cases a bipod is better (prone)

Jager
12-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Check out the "do-it-yourself" shooting sticks (bi-fur-pod) on 'Varmintals' website. They're quick and simple to make plus inexpensive. One draw back however is that they're not collapsible.

RMG
12-09-2007, 11:58 PM
I prefer using a non collapsible stick, doubles as a walkin stick on those long walks back to camp, along roads, helps, with footing crossing streams, testing depth of mud, and such. Not that a collapsable one isnt good, just non collapsible feals more comfortable. And it wacks devils club really well too.

ruttinbuck
12-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Take a look at the SnipePod.Best of both worlds in my opinion
I have one of these.Bought the xtra mount for a second rifle as well,makes them even more versatile.
I have'nt had to use them to shoot gsme yet but 400yd shots at gongs went well off them.RB

Derek_Erickson
12-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Just got the snipe-pod seems fairly versatile

GoatGuy
12-12-2007, 03:22 PM
I prefer the hundreds of millions of trees and rocks scattered across the province.

They're cheap, easy to find and I don't need to pack extra weight around.:roll:

Derek_Erickson
12-12-2007, 03:23 PM
6 ounces isn't much extra weight

GoatGuy
12-12-2007, 03:42 PM
6 ounces isn't much extra weight

Kinda like carrying a big turd around in your pack - just isn't something a person should be carrying around with them if they don't have to.

Derek_Erickson
12-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I bet your gun wouldn't rest as good on a soft piece of turd though :-o

I doubt my snipe-pod smells as bad either!

ruttinbuck
12-13-2007, 12:53 PM
derek did you buy yours locally or via the internet?
I picked mine up off ebay.RB

Derek_Erickson
12-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Ordered right off of the site, took 4 days to get here, amazed at the speed of the shipping

David Heitsman
12-13-2007, 08:26 PM
I have the Harris bi pod but seldom use it as it's too heavy and really digs into my shoulder sometimes and hangs up on stuff.

I had a pair of rip corded sticks with rubber ends that quickly formed a V
out in Alberta and I like using them. Not much good if you need a rest in a hurry but held the rifle steady when folded out.

As to the comment that all the boulders and trees are available, I'll tell you what, I have really wished I had something when I'm out in a grassy field like the Chilcotin and you're busy trying to prop your back pack up with everything you can find (Binos' cowboy hat etc)to get the muzzle up and out of the brush.

TriggerMag
12-16-2007, 08:15 AM
How user friendly is the snipe pod at attaching on and off your gun.

Is the weight similar to a set of shooting sticks?

krazy
12-16-2007, 09:58 AM
I purchased a set of these last year (change the x's to w's to activate link): http://xxx.underwoodrest.com/

They are very light, easy to use, and come with a cordura pouch that will hang off of your belt and out of the way until you need them.

I purchased the 36 inch model which works perfectly for me from the sitting position. My son used them twice this year from the kneeling position. By only using one of the sections you can also use them in the prone position.

They seem to have gone up a bit since I purchased mine but they are still almost half the price of anything else that I have found. I got mine off of ebay for $26.

As for finding a rock or tree when you need one ...... sounds easy but it's not always possible.

ruttinbuck
12-16-2007, 10:05 AM
How user friendly is the snipe pod at attaching on and off your gun.

Is the weight similar to a set of shooting sticks?
Snipe pod clips on and off easyily.After 3 or 4 times you can do it as routine.The 30" model weighs less than shooting sticks.RB

TriggerMag
12-16-2007, 11:42 AM
RB
So do you have the stx-30 model then, and do you find it tall enough for sitting and kneeling positions.

ruttinbuck
12-16-2007, 11:45 AM
yes I have the 30" model.I can sit behind them,I also can seperate the sections individually and go right down to prone with it.RB

Derek_Erickson
12-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Suggested heights are...

5'11-6'4

30 inch

TriggerMag
12-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanx for the info guys, one last thing How stiff are the sockets (balls) if you articulate it to a certain position will it stay there or are you fitting it to keep it in position. ( hence making it not a very steady support)

Thanx

ruttinbuck
12-16-2007, 01:31 PM
You can adjust the tension on the sockets by turning a screw in or out accordingly.
You anywhere near Kamloops?Take a look first hand before you buy.RB

Derek_Erickson
12-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I've tightened mine right up seems like thats the best option, I'd have a look before you bought, some guys are picky I think they'll work great!