PDA

View Full Version : caping sheep properly??

Dale
12-02-2007, 01:56 PM
i was wondering if there is some info out there of how to cape a sheep. i have capped deer and moose but just wondering if there are any tricks of the trade that people have. thanks

BCGRIZ
12-02-2007, 02:53 PM
The trick to caping sheep and goats is that you have to cut all the way around the base of the horn as the skin is joined to the horn. Then cut up between the horns and make a T cut to both horns then start skinning , cut off the ears as close to the head as you can and continue around the horns. Stick your finger in the eye and leave as much of the inner eyelid as possible. It is better always to leave to much than not enough, whether it is shoulder, brisket or lips!
Hope that answers your question?

Orangethunder
12-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Sadly I haven't had the pleasure:cry:.

mainland hunter
12-02-2007, 05:09 PM
what BCGris said except i prefer a v going back from one horn and coming forward to the other instead of a T cut

BCGRIZ
12-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Blood Stains!! Sheep hair is hollow and the blood should be washed or rinsed out ASAP! Preferable before you salt the cape. When backpacking I usually carry a small container of biodegradible dish soap to wash out the blood in a creek or any running water. You can use a T or Y cut at the back of the horns either will do. Hang the cape or skin in a tree or over a rock to drain then turn the lips/ears/nose and eye lids if you dare. If you are in the mountains and away from a cooler or freezer you'll need to turn and salt the cape.

BCbillies
12-02-2007, 10:27 PM
I set aside the day (all of it) after the kill to cap the critter, clean the meat and savour the moment! I bring a dozen scalpal blades (#22) and use a good portion of them. A rushed job will cost you in the end! I find turning the eyes and nose takes a little finess work. I use a stick or the base of my hiking pole (with rag on tip so not to tear) to turn the ears - the pointy ears of a goat are most difficult. Those that do this for a living make it all look so easy. :)

BCrams
12-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Watch those early season capes. I've heard a few stories more than once how guys used to caping deer and such ... slice a Stone's sheep cape open.

Washing is a must if there's blood. A lake or creek works great. Dry it out a bit while turning the ears, lips and eyes and then salt well.

The last ram we took on a trip, we packed around with us for 10 more days so knowing how to look after it properly is a must. I've heard too many sheep hunts end as soon as one guy gets a ram because he wants to get the cape out etc ... thus ending the other guys hunt. I won't do that. Whether I shoot a ram or my partner, we keep going until we get another ram or the trip ends.

mainland hunter
12-02-2007, 11:16 PM
By the way sheep and goats are impressive animals and should be lifesized:wink:. Caping isnt to tuff with a bit of practice. If you know any guys shooting some deer where they dont want the capes take em and practice turning those lips, noses, eyes, and ears. Dont want to learn on a sheep cape.

BCbillies
12-03-2007, 01:42 AM
I agree - practice is crucial! Best done on somebody elses cape. :wink:

boxhitch
12-04-2007, 09:01 AM
I agree - practice is crucial! Best done on somebody elses cape. :wink::lol::lol::lol:
- Don't cut the hide away from the horn bases, leaving hair/flesh under the edge. If possible, usse a screw driver to pry the hide away cleanly, out from under the horn.
- There are obviously two trains of thought about the blood on capes. Check with your taxid, if you have one picked out. It may be best to leave the blood removal to the pros, instead of making a worse mess.
- Don't cut a short cape. Keep lots of length behind the front legs.

proguide66
12-04-2007, 01:56 PM
# 1 rule....DONT cut from the hair 'in' on any part of the animal..ALL cuts from the inside -out...like when you gut a fish.....full body mount , cut from the top of the tail - along its spine- 'Y' off to the back of each horn...cut between the back of the toes up along the back of the legs to the knees...tube out the upper legs to the top of your first cut from the bottom leg...dig out the soft ' rubbery' materials from the dew claws/toes....of you arent sure on doing the lips , nose , remember , the salt will penetrate 1/4 " of flesh....sometimes when we are in a bit of a bind we just split the lips...split the nose in half from behind.....cut the fat off around the backside of the eyes ,ears of a sheep/goat are by far the easiest of all ears to turn inside out.....
NOTE.....any of you guys sheep hunting and opting for a european mount , save those full body stone sheep capes..US taxidermists buy em for $3500.00 US...$350.00 for a moose & elk ( caped/salted /dried )....VERY legal to sell your legally harvested trophy's , capes ect.....

mainland hunter
12-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Also if your going on guided hunts for these animals dont assume your guide knows how to skin. Not a knock on those here who guide because most are in the know. But some of the worst skin jobs and poorly handled skins come from guiding operation. far too many are salted with noses unturned, ears half turned, eyes unturned, lips salted and turned a quarter way, feet left in and salted rock hard dry, tails left in, balls left in. holes all over. Again most guides know what there doing but its good if you do too just in case the guide doesnt(especially if your hunting africa)

pupper
12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
By the way sheep and goats are impressive animals and should be lifesized:wink:.

a totally objective comment, right ray:biggrin:

Big7
12-04-2007, 03:48 PM
:lol::lol::lol:
- There are obviously two trains of thought about the blood on capes. Check with your taxid, if you have one picked out. It may be best to leave the blood removal to the pros, instead of making a worse mess.

I'm sure there are many "trains of thought about the blood on capes" but I can garantee if you leave blood on a cape or put it in a bag with blood water, and wait until you get home or to a taxididermist, you WILL have blood stains on the cape (I know!) I washed mine thoroughly (I thought) but the cape was stained nonetheless.

GoatGuy
12-04-2007, 05:54 PM
:lol::lol::lol:
- Don't cut the hide away from the horn bases, leaving hair/flesh under the edge. If possible, usse a screw driver to pry the hide away cleanly, out from under the horn.

The leatherman seems to work well for this. It's one of those things you're carrying anyway.

And with goats take your time on the ears - they're easy to poke holes in.