PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goat Hunting Film

Grasp
01-31-2023, 08:01 AM
Well guys it's that time of year again, if you have any interest in watching me get my ass kicked trying to kill a mountain goat today is your lucky day! In my opinion, a winter mountain goat hunt is among the most challenging hunts in North America. This is my second attempt and while I have yet to kill a mountain goat I don't make hunting films to highlight the kill, I make hunting films to tell adventure stories. If there is one thing for certain, this was an adventure.

https://youtu.be/dLCIcWw6_2k

As always I appreciate the support and any feedback positive or negative.

Cheers,

Jay

swampthing
01-31-2023, 08:44 AM
Always watch your stuff!

cuervosail
01-31-2023, 01:30 PM
Great stuff. How do you get those overhead fish-eye shots in the opening scenes and throughout?

mike31154
01-31-2023, 03:21 PM
Atsa lotta sloggin' thru deep snow in thick bush to get to where the goats might hang out. I don't know if you're a skier but an alpine ski touring set up with skins can be an efficient way to cover terrain in the snow vs snowshoes, especially on the way back, you can ski down.... ;). Not familiar at all with the area you hunted but seems like predominately alpine plateau kind of terrain, not many cliffs.

I've never hunted goat but was fortunate to spot a group on a backcountry ski touring trip quite a few years ago. They had climbed on to a gnarly cliff, well above tree line. Fairly certain they were aware of our presence coming up from the valley as the trail they made to get to the cliff was evident lower down. I suspect with their relatively short legs they avoid deep snow & travel mostly on rocky, scree type of terrain which I didn't see much of in your video.

Photos follow. February 2012 in the southeast corner of the province, Purcell Mountains northwest of Kimberley. The peak they're on is adjacent to Mt. Lindsay, well above 2,000 meters. Look closely at lower left in photo & you should be able to make out their trail in the snow.
https://dsm01pap004files.storage.live.com/y4mvNvRpTzXmwM8K6x6qnx3MDVVFDf6i-uaivt3sPckHVFogMoMtYfX1o3dU627UuWjt2LX26VXjZFxoku1 6cyuXQbCWFskjpLx9dw_G0vBw5sEhhuIMcPgLTTDYuQ9IBuiFp U1Z-YgveJnRs727aoWLDmNq7BNuNXGaKVlKNbn3yg?width=1024&height=996&cropmode=none

Zoomed in, a member of our party had a much better camera than I.
https://dsm01pap004files.storage.live.com/y4mDgNZybncEg1j2f-FJoHqWW0NHjUgwBibZQA7WvmMyzu7LD7xTK8xJI41dvef6HOKU npS6OgNGQJHeBYu9igRLoU3ZhVfYuyoTI9jfQNh5J0e0haLrKF awIf5A-OcqhUIf2dnIiGPybb3j7szy7NBoGi9RFOUDABLEAI1sPjvOPk? width=1024&height=457&cropmode=none

Panoramic view of the terrain. Cliff the goats were on at left. We climbed up & to the right.
https://bl3302files.storage.live.com/y4mMDmolm_0Eljpw1N2jnV0dyaw6KMmxyveabLca2Cjp6yAqH0 BHYk6mABl1jWSaEQHJAxrdI4bd2Ou09xi0e_Y2P1GpYAk4-lE5BJQQuUsRsHyGi7OaKnXs3TxotzDKzPStrE53e6glj-ijrPiBvrTArs8bUfy5kF61MRumiJkjl0?width=1024&height=241&cropmode=none

Our gps track showing round trip from Boulder Hut to the col just below Mt. Lindsay summit. It was a long day.
https://bl3302files.storage.live.com/y4mFraxzItTZCJTBSsvfeu8rK6JUpfAa5dnF0AubLBq0NwIYM0 E-vK0Bj1vAzKqJmkjD-rYY_CC-T7AL767tDKbBq75KvZAwxXRtLnYYKkjj2tW6GT3zjULEb8OgCO B0KJ8CHW9FoQavK5Uf_pMw3n9AR_qD1S-4ogNkgdcI5mDqkM?width=1024&height=577&cropmode=none

Not sure there's a draw for that area since it's in or close to the Purcell Wilderness Conservancy. There's also a group that lives near Hwy 97 in the South Okanagan between Peachland & Summerland. Different climate/elevation vs the Purcells, but also sparsely treed with prominent cliff features.

dabber
01-31-2023, 03:45 PM
Great video. You definitely put in the time and effort.
Looking forward to Seeing Your next adventure.
Thanks for sharing

mike31154
01-31-2023, 03:47 PM
A few additional photos from the ski trip, just because. Hope you don't mind a minor thread hijack.

It's much easier when you have a guide to break trail & you're in a group. Solo hunt in that kind of terrain is hazardous & I'd be inclined to at least have 1 trusted buddy along in case something goes wrong.

Our objective is in sight, the col between peaks.
https://blufiles.storage.live.com/y4m6JcWMll2ELv6zlXpNzX5_Br2RYCx5ufgIDpidGeNOB6URRh MTBT4JtaDUx1DG0N3eVX_TzT-WRDb5v0aaVMQf4o5Y6fyaLKctCS6sDYHnA1BnPXA1NKRrbRnoQ 3xmLPOQJ-p0HxjBoLAh0jiRb_37j2RNljOIkDicwwnDNopgXs?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

Snow up here is wind affected so quite supportive vs the softer stuff down in the trees.
https://blz04pap001files.storage.live.com/y4mLxsmIVKSmji-IkHOL3qw0UjG9RSU-ZU0sjK9TrnFS0Ug0DI483xWRr3M44utvoNDKtbmAhNNcErXx-3TEH7JQMNvRSUkzAXlb7LmxsZA-N6MkBhnHnaf8F1xaPs3Ds663wHfSgR1MgvgIRaqyOriJkqpF7N kbkDlirhaUz4_apY?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Cliff the goats were on out of the photo, not sure but I think to the left.
https://bl3302files.storage.live.com/y4meZE46r07Gy6zFnyQ8CtsbHEVCkUhUTNid58Zh4Ju7VXauT1 nQ-GHH2HqgN8osUE8Y4SbQUQtsQiLWBRmubzFFbGOhqmfYJTWrwtg FOiNlnnqaSVEXpE0TQJ3MZ2ysJymG2NSfQgxYuQuT6JjUDj6q_ 8YX7AlAEebyQ-x_TOgqRU?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Spectacular country. View from the col, southwest if not mistaken.
https://bl3302files.storage.live.com/y4mT3Ze10_SJntaHL_mV9GRazdbdrax2_mm8wVs9nWEZ-RSJjTew90D2RFXuT7GnVqIrJinr2zlPaApl-OEB85gvbfqovJaf6eKm6JDWNb7xq-eAtr57pRU1bFnNSnybBAjoN0gt5pikeNSdedjZm9hdoSKNJjwE tfkB9HAJ-5dj4s?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

hawk-i
01-31-2023, 04:47 PM
Awesome video, thanks for sharing!

Alpine Hunter
01-31-2023, 06:40 PM
Great film as always! Your ability to absorb suck is extremely inspiring. You may not be successful in killing an animal every trip but the takeaways and lessons learned on your trips are absolute gold. You are truly a beast in the mountains. You will eventually run out of mountains to beat up that don’t contain the horned animals you are after and you will find what you’re after. Well done is all I can say.

604ksmith
01-31-2023, 07:34 PM
Always watch your stuff!

Get to work!

Grasp
02-01-2023, 12:13 PM
Thanks as alwasy for the great feedback guys. And that camera I was using for those shots is called an insta360 X3.

Jrax
02-03-2023, 12:32 PM
Thanks Jay, that certainly looked like a tough bc winter goat hunt. There are so many snowshoes out there that arent going to last in tough conditions whether deep snow or blowdown. For mtn goat hunts its a safety risk for sure to break a snowshoe far back. After trying most brands out there and putting them through blowdown, steep slopes and deep snow the Atlas Mtn 35's seem to hold up the best and the bindings are a pleasure to use.

SR80
02-04-2023, 07:25 AM
Atsa lotta sloggin' thru deep snow in thick bush to get to where the goats might hang out. I don't know if you're a skier but an alpine ski touring set up with skins can be an efficient way to cover terrain in the snow vs snowshoes, especially on the way back, you can ski down.... ;). Not familiar at all with the area you hunted but seems like predominately alpine plateau kind of terrain, not many cliffs.

I've never hunted goat but was fortunate to spot a group on a backcountry ski touring trip quite a few years ago. They had climbed on to a gnarly cliff, well above tree line. Fairly certain they were aware of our presence coming up from the valley as the trail they made to get to the cliff was evident lower down. I suspect with their relatively short legs they avoid deep snow & travel mostly on rocky, scree type of terrain which I didn't see much of in your video.

Photos follow. February 2012 in the southeast corner of the province, Purcell Mountains northwest of Kimberley. The peak they're on is adjacent to Mt. Lindsay, well above 2,000 meters. Look closely at lower left in photo & you should be able to make out their trail in the snow.
Zoomed in, a member of our party had a much better camera than I.
Panoramic view of the terrain. Cliff the goats were on at left. We climbed up & to the right.Our gps track showing round trip from Boulder Hut to the col just below Mt. Lindsay summit. It was a long day.

Not sure there's a draw for that area since it's in or close to the Purcell Wilderness Conservancy. There's also a group that lives near Hwy 97 in the South Okanagan between Peachland & Summerland. Different climate/elevation vs the Purcells, but also sparsely treed with prominent cliff features.

Have you tried skiing down with a 80 lb pack on? I don't feel like that would be very fun for anyone.

Chopper333
02-04-2023, 07:19 PM
Jay,

I love how honest you are and what you take as a success. You are a motivating individual and appreciate what you are doing. Please through some more discussions about bodybuilding...love that sh*t.

To everyone else...buy a membership to his website. The reviews are awesome, well thought out and worth the listen/read. I paid for the life membership and don't regret it.

Cheers,

Chopper.

jimzuk
02-04-2023, 09:23 PM
great story. You perservered under very tough conditions. Thanks for sharing

dru88
02-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Thanks for taking the time to share your hunts. I think your content is very well put together and weather its your videos or podcast I look forward to both.
Thanks agin and keep the content coming.

HarryToolips
02-15-2023, 04:54 PM
I bookmarked this thread for quite a few days so I could watch/listen to the whole video, piece by piece, and it was well worth it, great job on the video, and what an epic hunt...yes you're right that not harvesting an animal, as was the objective could be considered a failure but, there are so many other victories involved... I'd say it was a huge victory for you considering how many variables are involved in a solo winter hunt like that, we'll done... on a different note, have you tried eating snow when you're working hard and exerting yourself? I do, and contrary to what they tell us, it works for me on my winter hikes when working hard, and actually helps me to reduce sweating.. another who has the same theory is Les Stroud..

Downtown
02-15-2023, 05:23 PM
I like your Style and appreciate your Movie. You are one in a thousand !

Cheers

Vortex hunter
02-15-2023, 08:02 PM
Great stuff. How do you get those overhead fish-eye shots in the opening scenes and throughout?

I believe he's using a go-pro 360 cam...
My question for you Jay is why didn't you use your sled more to get you higher faster and save energy! Lot of that hike able stuff is the kinda sledding I like tight twisty trees.

broke
02-15-2023, 08:13 PM
Grasp - thanks for sharing. Amazing footage and impressive to see your drive. I really appreciate your candor, as well as learning from some of your challenges. You've done your homework, are putting in the effort (and then some), so I can't wait to watch you succeed one of these days. Keep on keepin' on and all the best.