PDA

View Full Version : Need better bush access - need advice

RainyLaker
01-30-2023, 02:32 PM
Hey all.

I need to grow my equipment list and get better access into the bush. What you would do for this fall while thinking about setting up the seasons to come.

I have
-$1000
-2018 Nissan Rogue - already ripped the plastic skid plate off
-bad credit
-saving $1000 / month for hunting
-270 Tikka t3x lite / 300wm Sauer 80 / 22 Chiappa single shot / Benelli 12ga
-gimpy though interested middle aged wife, disinterested 10yr old and passionate 8yr old
-47yr old 340lb out-of-shape man with a strong heart (starting mountain goat training)
-pursuits (any big game - I've taken 3 bear and a 4pt mulie in past 2 years, recent unsuccessful bison hunt), backcountry multi-day ambitions, meat for the freezer, fowl, upland game, snow
-serious shortage of similarly minded buddies
-3 hunting weeks vacation per year (hunt every other weekend plus 1 long one)

Priority is better bush access (eg. deactivations).

Do I buy a 2000'ish taco / tracker / jeep / samurai (lift kit, winch, tires/wheels, short wheel base, chains) as a bush truck and put 3 month insurance on it or as needed during the season - $5000 in and $3000 for upgrades / repairs? Hope to get 4-5 seasons out of it. I can make my family go with me
Buy a quad & trailer and tow it with my Rogue - $8000? Upgrade next year or two to a full size truck? I can take my 8yr old or wife on separate trips
Trade in the Rogue at a loss on an 'as best as I can do' Taco / GM1500 / Tundra?

Other wishlist items
Backcountry pack capable of hauling gear and meat (~$1000)
Spotting scope (~$2500)
Some kind of camp (wall tent, cots, stove, etc - $5000), travel trailer (~$7500)

hawk-i
01-30-2023, 03:32 PM
Quad or side by side and smaller toy hauler.

rageous
01-30-2023, 05:33 PM
If you’re on a budget. A reliable stock 4x4 with basic gear like shovel, v bar chains, rope, snatch block, axe, chainsaw and good pair of boots. Is all you need. Don’t get caught up spending more than you need too.

There’s many areas of bush that are all too often overlooked, most barely hunted.

There are more and more areas in bc that are being heavily deactivated.
Some not even quadable.
If you really want to buy a quad and access the normal deactivated FSR you certainly won’t be alone doing so.

best of luck

Downwindtracker2
01-30-2023, 06:07 PM
A Suzuki will do what a side x side will . Both have to get lifted. A quad for deactivated logging roads needs power steering .

Dannybuoy
01-30-2023, 06:15 PM
I agree with the quad or side by side , your estimate for a wall tent is high . You should be able to buy a new one all in for under $3k . A bit more for 4 cots. $1k
Only con with wall tent is taking it down or packing up when raining ... need a spot to hang it to dry it out . Get a 14 x 16 for 4 people.
You can tow it on a small trailer with your existing vehicle
Or go for a small toyhauler but I think that might be alot more $$

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
01-30-2023, 06:42 PM
Two way radios will help keep you "safe" on the RR roads. All you need is a Baofeng, no need to spend more. Have a couple extras for your family too. Small truck radios can be had for about $100.00 + mag mount antenna--25watt and fit in the palm of your hand--can velcro mount the mount.

RainyLaker
01-30-2023, 11:35 PM
Hey thanks you all. I have a better idea now. I appreciate the tips on the Radios, utility trailer and the safety kit.

Dannybuoy
01-30-2023, 11:55 PM
The radio is only usefull on active logging roads and its jyst as easy to take it slow or follow a logging truck .If on a quad or sxs it's easy to pull over if you need to travel on an active road for a few kms and you meet a truck

lakelander
01-31-2023, 10:17 AM
Personally I would trade the Rogue in for a truck. I wouldn't spend that much on a spotter. Vortex Razor $600 will do. Tent and stove etc you can be under $2,000. I have a tepee which I bought for $600 and wood stove was $300. Works for me and my buddy just fine. Stihl chainsaw was $240. Add as you go.

Downwindtracker2
01-31-2023, 01:30 PM
A Rogue is a grocery getter, . That class are great for that. For a family you need a double cab pickup . I had a 12x14 wall tent and a tin airtight . A comfortable camp will have cots, stove , chairs and a couple of tables, one to eat off of and another to cook on. That filled a 4'x8' utility trailer or a full size p/u bed. I had a canopy . A canopy is tricky, as heavy hard things can break windows. A p/u in the bush is pretty useless, too fat and too long.

ian745
01-31-2023, 03:06 PM
with anything, no point maxxing out on all aspects, start small, upgrade as you go, the spotter, leupold and vortex make great entry level lines for around 700, the truck, dont go inti debt to get in the bush, i bought an older quad and older deck trailer, easy peasy, get a small stihl saw, and spend your money on good boots, i cheaped out at first and my feet hurt forever,

Otto1946
01-31-2023, 04:34 PM
DWT, I have never found a good 4x4 pu to large for then bush. In the decades since I first joined the BCFS, I have spent a lot of time driving some scary roads and quad tracks in my Toyota 4x4s and now I can barely walk due to severe injuries in1960, I cannot do without my Taco 4x4.

Downwindtracker2
01-31-2023, 05:50 PM
I have found a great difference between my current Ram 3500 double cab, long box and the preceding '91 Jeep Cherokee . With the Jeep I could poke my nose in almost anywhere, turn around and get out. With the Dodge I have to plan an exit. There have been times when I have driven my quad down overgrown logging where I was glad for the bumper and hand guards. There are limits to how narrow even a Jeep could investigate .

With forestry and weather deactivating more roads, quads have a much great appeal. Not so much getting in , as forestry roads end at the watershed. I could walk that short distance in and out. And it is much easier and faster than getting stuck in the mud of a poor excuse for a road . But you still have to haul the game out.

In '74 I bought a new Dodge W200 Power Wagon, the last year of the true bush pigs, and have had a 4x4 since then. I think my wife's Wrangler is too fat, BTW.

RainyLaker
01-31-2023, 09:48 PM
The Rogue is what they gave me financing on. It's ok. I can tow my boat but I can't really get anywhere i would really like to go. I was lucky to get to a fsr spot climbing 800m and got a bear for my efforts but I had a horseshoe up my butt that day. Gambrel off the hitch and skinned / quartered the bear down into a drainage chute.

If I find a half ton, ideally chevy/gm and toss a 450-550 used quad in the back, that would be good. Maybe a utility trailer and camp setup next year. I get the taco appeal but I can't figure how to fit the cost in. I could go Jimmy/Blazer route and maybe find a cheap quad/trailer this year. Doesn't matter I guess right now. Just got a serious case of cabin fever and an itch to be better prepared this year.

I got a lot of good ideas here. I appreciate you all.

RainyLaker
01-31-2023, 10:12 PM
Good reminder about the chainsaw. I usually borrow one. I'd like a stihl 251. Something mid range like that. 18" bar.

Downwindtracker2
02-01-2023, 12:48 PM
2WD P/Us are as useless as t*** on the boar on anything outside of pavement. Even 4WD P/Us are only front wheel drive unless they are well loaded. Consider a utility trailer and something in the old Jeep Cherokee class, like a 4Runner, instead of a P/U. If you do a search on this site, there are some great posts on what to look for in used quads.

Ubertuber
02-01-2023, 01:47 PM
Consider a used cargo trailer. You can haul your quad and gear securely. They are dry and can be decent places to sleep in as well.

Ferenc
02-01-2023, 02:40 PM
One thing if I could mention is a good tool box of wrench’s
and a portable air compressor ( Viair makes a good one ) a good combo socket set in both metric / standard ... for this it’s best to wait when KMS tools has a sale ... you’d be surprised at the pricing for the Gearwrench brand that comes up from time to time.

RackStar
02-01-2023, 03:25 PM
Don’t feel like you need to invest thousands to have success in the bush. It can be done for cheap. You can add comfort and luxury’s as you go and figure out your own gear system. Just being out there is worth more then any gear you can buy.

It took me years to have my gear gathered. I like taking as much time off as I can vs buying gadgets. Usually 1 month plus every weekend of the season , helps to live where you like to hunt

dino
02-01-2023, 04:16 PM
If you're on a budget and a big dude then tow a tracker/samurai and use a $ 200.00 diesel heater and a wood stove to heat a good ice fishing tent. The diesel heater will keep you comfortable throughout the night so you don't have to keep getting up to stoke the fire. Your probably going to be road hunting a fair bit. I have the sxs ,quad samurai,enclosed trailer, a dually diesel truck and camper. I now keep it as simple as possible. Samurai and a tent .it's just so easy.

RainyLaker
02-09-2023, 10:44 PM
I went to the GM dealership where my uncle has as in with one of the sales team. I'm looking at a new 2022 Chevy Trail Boss with 20" wheels, running rails, short 68" box. I figured this is the best chance at a reasonable price with the personal contact.

I'd like to get a half ton to carry a quad but the short box seems to limit my options. I plan to get a 450-550cc used quad.

What should I consider when carrying a quad in the truck?