PDA

View Full Version : Cali sheep boundrys

mikek blacktail
12-02-2007, 10:28 AM
I,ve decided that next year I'm buying a sheep tag. I'm going to start out walking the hills in the region three open season and see what I can learn.My question is does anyone know were I can get a map were the rocky/cali boundry for scoring purposes are.

Seeadler
12-02-2007, 11:01 AM
According to B&C they are all Rocky Mountain Bighorns. Personally, I would just go sheep hunting.

Orangethunder
12-02-2007, 11:04 AM
To the best of my knowledge all of the Fraser/Thompson sheep are Calis including Kamloops, Clinton area sheep.

dana
12-02-2007, 11:48 AM
The Spences herd are Rockys. Broken down train full of Jasper sheep if I recall correctly. The maps are in the Regs. I wouldn't be too concerned about scoring purposes yet. It's a pretty tuff go to pull out a legal ram and you will be competing against a ton of other hunters. Many of which are hard-core sheep nuts too.

A interesting tid-bit is I heard that they are doing a DNA test on that Monster Cali killed this year that looks like it'll be a contenter for the top Cali spot. They are thinking he was a Rocky that worked his way up the Fraser from Spences.

mikek blacktail
12-02-2007, 01:21 PM
The Spences herd are Rockys. Broken down train full of Jasper sheep if I recall correctly. The maps are in the Regs. I wouldn't be too concerned about scoring purposes yet. It's a pretty tuff go to pull out a legal ram and you will be competing against a ton of other hunters. Many of which are hard-core sheep nuts too.

A interesting tid-bit is I heard that they are doing a DNA test on that Monster Cali killed this year that looks like it'll be a contenter for the top Cali spot. They are thinking he was a Rocky that worked his way up the Fraser from Spences.
thanks Dana I know I gotta get lucky, but it was just a question I've been wondering about

Ridge-Runner
12-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Thats interesting testing with DNA to determine if or if not the sheep is a Cali, a Rocky or a possible hybrid and I guess they'll be looking at the mitochndria DNA to determine linage. With all the recent relocations there should be enough baseline data as well, good stuff.

Dana thats my understanding too, that it was a train wreck and quite early too. Talk about jepardizing genetic integrity, well there is a classic example and a complete violation and the basterdization of a species, a real shame.

As for boundaries for Californis bighorns there are several good references, both Hoofed Mammals of BC, D Shackleton, or Return of Royalty, by the Boone and Crockett and FNAWS.

Good luck with your quest, RR

Bighorn hunter
12-02-2007, 05:40 PM
I am wondering if anyone knows how many rams were taken this year around spence's

boxhitch
12-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Talk about jepardizing genetic integrity, well there is a classic example and a complete violation and the basterdization of a species, a real shame.

Not unlike the mixing that must occur with the Chase Creek herd of Rockies, or the Rockie ram that was released from the Kamloops Wildlife Park onto the Harper Ranch years ago.

oscar makonka
12-04-2007, 06:21 PM
First load of bighorn sheep were transplanted at Spences Bridge in 1927. There were 49 animals. Same year there were 50 more bighorns destined for Spences Bridge that escaped the train at Squilax near Chase. All those bighorns originated from Banff National Park. In 1970 12 bighorns from Jasper National Park were transplanted somewhere along the Fraser.

boxhitch
12-04-2007, 06:53 PM
oscar, I think you are mixing details for Calis and Rockies. Good info,

boxhitch
12-04-2007, 07:03 PM
As for boundaries for Californis bighorns there are several good references, both Hoofed Mammals of BC, D Shackleton, or Return of Royalty, by the Boone and Crockett and FNAWS.

Good luck with your quest, RRCheck out the Wild Sheep Society Of BC website, under resources page.

http://www.wildsheepsociety.org/node/20

oscar makonka
12-05-2007, 06:27 PM
oscar, I think you are mixing details for Calis and Rockies. Good info,

Information comes from "Hoofed Mammals of Alberta" in chapter 4, there is a table of records of translocations of animals from alberta and the destination they were transfered to. At one time I tried to find out about the 12 sheep from jasper that are listed as going to the fraser canyon in 1970, but nobody seemed to know or wanted to research my inquiry to the BC ministry at the time, anyway they found no information to divulge to me, was hoping to contact one of the officials at the scene of the trasnsplant , might still be alive who might know where they actually went if indeed this information is correct.