PDA

View Full Version : coyote issue

Pete
12-01-2007, 08:35 PM
You are set up in your favorite spot when you call in 2 coyotes. One is a beautiful fully furred dog the other looks like a clipped Poodle and obviouly has sarcoptic mange bad. No hair, except for a tuff on the end of it's tail and bald to the ears with open sores. So what coyote would you shoot first knowing you may not get a second shot?
Cheers
Pete

K-1
12-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I would have bust up the poodle, you don't want him spreading that mange around. You can then sit off the carcase and get a healthy one.

KodiakHntr
12-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Shoot the good one. The other one is going to freeze anyway.

3kills
12-01-2007, 09:19 PM
depends on if u are huntin for the hides or not LOL....i dont think if u shoot the mangy one u can sit on the carcass cuz i dont think that yotes eat other yotes but then again i could be wrong...

Will
12-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Shoot the good one. The other one is going to freeze anyway.
:lol::lol::lol:

Derek_Erickson
12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Do the manged one a favor shoot it, reload, shoot the other

Scottish Warrior
12-01-2007, 09:32 PM
I would definitely shoot the mangy one; in my mind it's the right thing to do. I would certainly go for a double though.

Will
12-01-2007, 09:34 PM
You are set up in your favorite spot when you call in 2 coyotes. One is a beautiful fully furred dog the other looks like a clipped Poodle and obviouly has sarcoptic mange bad. No hair, except for a tuff on the end of it's tail and bald to the ears with open sores. So what coyote would you shoot first knowing you may not get a second shot?
Cheers
Pete

The Humane thing would be to shoot the Mangey one...better end then the alternative.......:?

A Trapper that is going to actually harvest and sell the Fur for $'s one may assume they'd take the "Healthy" and obviously valuable hide.....however the smart thing to do for the health of one's Yote supply would be to take the sick one out of circulation........:-?

I would think for most the Mangey one would get the Bullet...at least that's how I'd see it :wink:

RMG
12-01-2007, 10:23 PM
I have never figured out why some think that any animal deserves a death as cruel as can be supplied by mother nature. Natural it maybe, cruel she is. Take the mangey one, spare it a winter of suffering.

rishu_pepper
12-02-2007, 12:14 AM
I'd shoot the mangy one first, quickly reload and shoot the other one. There's no bag limit on coyotes for a reason. :biggrin:

Gateholio
12-02-2007, 05:10 AM
Shot the one you want If you are after nice fur, kill that one. If not, kill the mangy one...

hunter1947
12-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Take them both ,but take the good one first ,and if you don't get a shot at the second one ,the other one has his days marked.

Pete
12-02-2007, 09:11 AM
As a trapper the long term health and condition of fur is an issue. In this case I shot the mangey one first which was 4 days ago and got the good one 2 days later. A coyote with scarcoptic mange will continue to pass it on to other coyotes that it comes in contact with. In the long term it will die as was said earlier however mother nature is a very harsh task mistress. I have seen them with mange so bad that they do not have a hair on their bodies and they are literally eating themselves trying to get rid of the itch.
cheers
Pete

Sharkey
12-02-2007, 09:15 AM
I'd take out the mangy one - he clearly won't last the winter with no fur, so I'd help him along with minimal pain and suffering. And by the way - I don't know much about trapping, but once they've been trapped - how do you kill them? Shot to the head? Just curious.

boonerbuck
12-02-2007, 12:23 PM
All these points are sensible:

-Removing mange from the pack is priority for the health and management of the resource.

-Removing the mangy yote does not mean a second shot or later opportunity won't be there.

-There's no point in letting it suffer despite how cruel coyotes can be to their prey. Have a heart!

-Taking the healthy one if you want fur is a short term thought.

Someone mentioned that they don't think yotes eat their own. Although not even a raven will eat a mangy carcass most times, coyotes sometimes will eat their own. I've taken a coyote feeding on a dead one and I've returned to kills in the past to see it torn apart by coyotes and consumed. On the other hand I've added some to the bait pile just to have it ignored by the resident yotes and only the ravens have eaten it.

hunter1947
12-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I'd take out the mangy one - he clearly won't last the winter with no fur, so I'd help him along with minimal pain and suffering. And by the way - I don't know much about trapping, but once they've been trapped - how do you kill them? Shot to the head? Just curious.
Yes shot to kill when found in a trap ,that is the humain thing to do.

Elkhound
12-02-2007, 12:33 PM
answer is simple. Wait till they are together and shoot them both with one bullet cause my Yote gun is a .338:idea:

mikek blacktail
12-02-2007, 01:15 PM
the easiest shot ,or if I chose it would be the strong one because he'll likely take more deer down, that's my 2 cents

huntwriter
12-02-2007, 01:25 PM
For me this would be an easy choice to make. In order to prevent mange from spreading I would shoot the “poodle” and then, either burn or burry the carcass so other predators can’t feed on it and contract mange too.

I feel that as hunters we should do our part in promoting the health of our game herds by eliminating the weak and sick animals from the population.

Just my personal opinion on the subject.;)

RiverOtter
12-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Good question Pete and alot of different thoughts on the matter posted so far.

I know mother nature is pretty ruthless when she "thins the herd", but I have also witnessed yotes tearing unborn calves from cows during labour, so I don't get too emotional when I see a yote dying of mange. As an old trapper, who is now gone, once told me, "A coyote has no mercy for what it kills, nor does he expect any when his time comes."

I know mange is no doubt a terrible way to go, but if I have 2 yotes in a field(1 good and 1 mangey), I'm likely going to take the easiest shot first, then go for the double. 1 dead coyote for sure is better than missing a tougher shot at a mangey yote and ending up with none, especially around a ranch, where most of my rifle shot coyotes are harvested.

RO

Big7
12-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Kill the good one first and then get on the "pup in distress" call and hope the mangey one stops for a second to see how his partner's doing then hammer him!! (in a perfect world!)

Pete
12-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Though in your mind it may be the humain thing to do you are interfering with a lawfully set trap and can be charged. There is a reason that we use footholds especially on a bait station. If the animal is dead on the ground the birds, ravens, eagles, magpies as well as other animals will pick out the hide in a matter of an hour or two after you leave and it will become totally worthless which is a waste of that animal as well as taking money out of my pocket and away from my family. When setting foot holds we are required , by law, to check within a 72 hour time frame We shorten our checking time to 48 hrs By using a foothold restraint the animal will keep other predators off until we get there.

Wildman
12-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Wait until they are both lined up......one shot, done. I would shoot the mangy one too.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-12-2007, 05:51 PM
If you're a trapper, shoot the mangy one first.

As a sheep hunter, I'd shoot the healthy one and let the other go. Sad but effective yote management.:neutral:

SSS

boonerbuck
12-12-2007, 06:25 PM

Would you want someone messing with your hunt?

Both are illegal and wrong.

sparkes3
12-12-2007, 07:05 PM
i think he meant what would a trapper do to kill a animal that was still alive in a trap.and i agree with elkhound pop em both with the same bullet if they line up.if not the mangy one first if it gave the right shot could spare it a lot of discomfort .

RiverOtter
12-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Sharkey http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=213900#post213900)

Pete and BB, I read Hunter1947's post as an answer to Sharkey's question, which was, "I don't know much about trapping, but once they've been trapped - how do you kill them? Shot to the head?"

I could be mistaken, but I didn't take his post to mean that if he found another persons legally trapped coyote, he'd open fire on it. I took it to mean that if you've legally trapped a coyote, how would you dispatch it.

RO

boonerbuck
12-12-2007, 07:31 PM
You are right, I was mistaken.;)

Carry on....:D

meat keeper
12-12-2007, 07:46 PM
put the mangy one down. a lot of times the second one will be shocked and give you time to reloed

Schmaus
12-12-2007, 08:05 PM
answer is simple. Wait till they are together and shoot them both with one bullet cause my Yote gun is a .338:idea:

Atta boy, thats the way it should be done http://www.freewebby.com/angry-smilies/violent.gif

trapperdan2061
12-12-2007, 08:13 PM
just a note coyote's will feed on a dead mate I use to use the carcus to trap other coyote's in Ontario where they were running in packs of 10 and more. Put a ring of foot holds maybe 4 or 6 they come back after a couple of days and you could pick up a couple of extras using drag hooks, or long chains steaked down real good.

Pete
12-12-2007, 08:18 PM
I will back up on 1947's post. Skulls are worth money to some folks. A single shot behind the front shoulder with a .22 will dispatch a coyote very quickly. All you have is a very small hole that only takes a quick stitch to repair. Shooting them in the head can get really messy depending on what you are using. If the skull blows up trying to skin them and get the sharp shards of bone of the hide can be difficult.

Pete
12-12-2007, 08:23 PM
just a note coyote's will feed on a dead mate I use to use the carcus to trap other coyote's in Ontario where they were running in packs of 10 and more. Put a ring of foot holds maybe 4 or 6 they come back after a couple of days and you could pick up a couple of extras using drag hooks, or long chains steaked down real good.
Hi Dan
Same here. Coyotes eat coyotes so everything I skin goes up on to the bait stations. Footholds on a 11ft drags does the trick or a snare line back through the trees.
Cheers
Pete

troutseeker
12-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Shoot the mangy one, that the humane thing to do. I sure hope someone does the same to me once I start loosing my hair...

Troutseeker

mark
12-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Wow, you guys sure are ethical! So I supose if you were down to 1 mulie tag and saw a 250+ class non-typ, and a spike buck with a broken leg standing side by side youd all shoot the spiker right! :eek:

boonerbuck
12-12-2007, 10:40 PM
:lol:

That changes everything!!

kloosterboer
12-12-2007, 11:23 PM
answer is simple. Wait till they are together and shoot them both with one bullet :idea:

exactly what I was thinkin exc.

George Ackley
12-13-2007, 09:59 AM
I would shoot the one that gives you the best opportunity at a good shot.
but in my mined they both be getting it!!!!
shoot the close one,, then start calling immediately with some calls,, the sound I would use would be the sound as if a dog just got its tail stuck in a door.
a coyote distress sound if killer on a mateing par of coyotes .

I would tried to stop the first one with a loud (BARK) then shoot,,then got on the coyote distress call.. as the other one ether comes running back to help it mate or he checks up for a nother look,
I would bust a primer in him also.

This scenario would work, if every thing went like I like it to... but it really dose..

so I would have taken the first one that gave me the best shot! I call because I love it , so to me the most importune thing is to make clean shots..and clean kills

RiverOtter
12-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Wow, you guys sure are ethical! So I supose if you were down to 1 mulie tag and saw a 250+ class non-typ, and a spike buck with a broken leg standing side by side youd all shoot the spiker right! :eek:

All I can say is, I sure hope it's 4 point season.:-D:-D

RO

Mr. Dean
12-13-2007, 12:13 PM
I'd take the one that I wanted.

The hairless one is on a destined path of being served up as a dinner for something else. I wouldn't want to interfere w/ that.
The wooly one was destined to succumb to the crosshairs of my scope - His path has come too a natural end.

I'm not even sure if I'd try for the double... I'd need to think that one through a little more.

boonerbuck
12-13-2007, 12:46 PM
I would tried to stop the first one with a loud (BARK) then shoot,,then got on the coyote distress call.. as the other one ether comes running back to help it mate or he checks up for a nother look,
I would bust a primer in him also.

This scenario would work, if every thing went like I like it to... but it really dose..

Coyote distress/Kiyi/death cry all work good on my FX3 for returning that second dog for a look. Be ready.:mrgreen:

Jagermeister
12-13-2007, 01:38 PM
So, which one would you shoot Pete?

RiverOtter
12-13-2007, 02:25 PM
So, which one would you shoot Pete?

For the record, the mangey one...................(Grins)

RO

Pete
12-13-2007, 10:01 PM
For the record, the mangey one...................(Grins)

RO
You bet!!!! As I posted earlier I took the mangey one first and got it's pardner 2 days later. Mange is not a good thing, I have seen it in Raccoons and Skunks as well coyotes. Terrible way to die. Careful when you are handling these guys you can transfer it to your on pets.
Pete

BCLongshot
12-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Nail the good 1 first. Tell the other 1 you'll give it a treat if it sits. Never met a dog yet that wouldn't do that !!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahaha