PDA

View Full Version : good quality youth pack?

The Hermit
12-21-2022, 12:21 AM
What do you recommend as a good quality youth day pack? Grandson is 6 years old and tall for his age. I'd like to get him something that will last for a few years while he grows and then can be passed down to his sister as she grows.

Thanks

Ferenc
12-21-2022, 02:38 AM
Check out “ Hill People Gear “ and the pack to look at is called the Tarahumara.
Its a best quality made pack ... nice in size and not terribly priced , good people to deal, it’s a nice daypack.

Bustercluck
12-21-2022, 08:27 AM
My kids weren’t really big enough to pack too much stuff at 6. I just put them in a really small bag big enough for a small water bottle, a few snacks and a light rain coat. I made small survival kits with them that they all packed around and tied a whistle off to the shoulder strap.

They were 8 or 9 before I got them into a real bag and even at that age the waist belts were too big for them. I have a deuter fox 40 and an osprey ace 50 here if you have any questions about those.

jlirot
12-21-2022, 09:07 AM
Probably too big for a 6 year old but oddly enough MEC has a really nice youth pack. Reasonably priced too.

dapesche
12-21-2022, 10:21 AM
my friends bought the osprey ace 50 for their kids. 10 and 12. They hiked the WCT last summer and the packs worked well.

I bought the ace 50 and received it a couple days ago. A touch big for my 10yr as she is smaller. Big on my 8yr (head hitting top of bag).
I am goingto order the Ace 38 and see how it fits them. Might amazon return the ace 50 and go with the 38.

I think that ace38 ight be a good option for your grandson...
https://www.osprey.com/ca/en/product/ace-38-ACE38S20.html

Otto1946
12-21-2022, 11:33 AM
MEC gear is generally crap and the outfit is anti-gun, which we should not support.

The BEST of the pack makers I know of is Seek Outside, and I would call them and ask their advice.

todbartell
12-21-2022, 11:35 AM
my 8yr old uses a Mystery Ranch In & Out 19 (1100cu in) weighs less than a pound empty. Works good for packing some light stuff like gloves, toque, small water bladder, calls, etc

https://i.imgur.com/fUeR08v.jpg

https://www.mysteryranch.com/in-and-out-pack (https://www.mysteryranch.com/in-and-out-pack)

Otto1946
12-21-2022, 11:49 AM
MR and for many years their predecessor, Dana Design, were my favourite pack makers by far. They went Asian, but, are still pretty good and mused US-made examples are still available on backpacking internet sites.

SO can and will build custom packs and their designs and quality are first class plus they are LIGHT.

Bustercluck
12-21-2022, 11:59 AM
MR and for many years their predecessor, Dana Design, were my favourite pack makers by far. They went Asian, but, are still pretty good and mused US-made examples are still available on backpacking internet sites.

SO can and will build custom packs and their designs and quality are first class plus they are LIGHT.

I think you can still buy American made mystery ranch, they just cost more. They were and probably still are supplying the us army with some of their gear and the made in murica thing is usually a pre-requisite to sell to them.

I agree with you about seek outside though. I don’t own one of their packs, but tents are top notch.

Otto1946
12-21-2022, 12:10 PM
Yup, I know that but the real quality is not hugely different from what I have seen. I have owned-used a LOT of gear for close to 70 years and NO company has impressed me as SO does, except Hilleberg.

I would put $$$$ into a kid's pack(s) and boots, LONG before camo clothing and so forth.

decker9
12-21-2022, 10:43 PM
My 9 y/o daughters been using a deuter 30L pack for a couple years, it’s served well so far with a few mountain hunts on it now. I think her next small pack will also be a deuter. Worth checking out.

Otto1946
12-25-2022, 10:27 PM
I did some research and soon found Western Edge Gear, a US company that builds youth gear and this would seem to be the best option for youth packs. Spending serious coin on a pack for your kids is the most health enhancing way to go.......check them out.

The Hermit
01-09-2023, 07:46 PM
Thanks all. Looks like I've got some research to do. Appreciate the tips!