PDA

View Full Version : last light buck!!!!!!!!!

lightmag
12-01-2007, 12:44 AM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/dentonjohnson/DSC01472.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/dentonjohnson/DSC01476.jpg

shot this guy with 30 min. of light left on closing day!! grossed 180.. shot him on the run at 150 , never even knew he was hit until we found him stone cold at the tree line, WOW what a finishing day!!! More of the story to come tomorrow when i'm sober, lol ha ha...

lightmag
12-01-2007, 12:45 AM
he is a 5x4 with brows!! and club like splits on the backs !! character buck!!

LeverActionJunkie
12-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Damn! nice buck bud way to finish the season.

lightmag
12-01-2007, 01:27 AM
here it is, out all day, seen a 6x6 elk first off, then passed on a possible legal buck but over 300 yards and could 100% identify. then 2 singel does, a cow moose, then a 40+ inch moose, another cow, 3 more does and a spiker!! walking and hiking cut blocks in deep snow and -20 weather with wind!! getting frustrated with lack of sighting VS amount of sign, walk block, no deer, 4pm, hit last road down block in truck, end of road see 3 deer!! turn out to be does, go to grab binos, brother yells "big buck shoot"!! jump up on running board to see buck bonding across block at 150 yards towards timber, pull 3 shots off, one as he hits the brush line, no sign of a hit!! go to look, BLOOD!! follow 50 yards to tree line, smell him??? then see more blood and slide marks down hill, found him stone dead under tree just inside tree line, 2 out of 3 shots hit, one in the front leg, then other in the back (no more tenderloins), the hail mary shot as he entered the bush was the kill shot!! deer gods smiled down on me tonight!! :).. lots of hugging and hi 5's with the bro!! lots of beers at home, lol.. what a great season, between me and my bro we got a 2x3 moose, 39" moose, 160 mulie, 179 7/8 mulie (tonight) and 2x2 mulie (meat buck), no complaints!! already missing this yera and looking forward to next year, over and out (too bed!!)

Tanya
12-01-2007, 06:04 AM
Nice buck!!

hunter1947
12-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Good for you lightmag ,they don't get much better then that one. I would be having a few beers as well if i dropped one like that. The one thing that paid off for you is that you let the smaller one walk. Congrats on a fine deer.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Thunderstix
12-01-2007, 06:44 AM
It is never over until legal light is gone!!!

ianwuzhere
12-01-2007, 07:18 AM
shot in the leg and the back? hmm dont think id ever take a shot like that. But congrats on the nice buck. Hes a hog especially to see him in the last minutes of the season... sounds like ya had a action packed season. seen more then i did around pg.
Cheers

huntwriter
12-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Great buck congratulations. Just shows you, persistence pays off in the end.

scuba
12-01-2007, 08:31 AM
looks like a keeper to me, like the mass on the back tines!

mikek blacktail
12-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Glad to hear you got the buck, last minute bucks are great

Marc
12-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Awesome buck!

dana
12-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Congrats on a great looking buck!

M.Dean
12-01-2007, 09:41 AM
What a way to end the season!!!! Super looking buck, you guys had a great season!!! Congrats! Puts meaning to a old friends motto "Where there's lead, There's Hope"

Will
12-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Love those G3's !!! BANANA's Man !
Congrats 8)

BCrams
12-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Thats a great last day buck - congrats!

rifleman
12-01-2007, 10:23 AM
yeah nice buck. hope yer not to hung over. hope you got off running board befor shootin. at least yer not eatin tag soup. way ta go.

Orangethunder
12-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Awesome buck, last day or not:cool:.

Congrats!!

KodiakHntr
12-01-2007, 10:42 AM
jump up on running board to see buck bonding across block at 150 yards towards timber, pull 3 shots off,

I'm hoping that you meant you saw him from the running board, and then stepped off and banged out some rounds, as they way you describe it there is fairly illegal.

KodiakHntr
12-01-2007, 10:44 AM
PS, great buck!

308BAR
12-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Congrats and the last light buck! Great looking to.

porcupine
12-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Nice buck, I'd have few to celebrate too!
________
Mugen Motorsports (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Mugen_Motorsports)

puppychow
12-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Congrats. Beautiful buck.

lightmag
12-01-2007, 11:13 AM
yeah nice buck. hope yer not to hung over. hope you got off running board befor shootin. at least yer not eatin tag soup. way ta go.

No worries Rifleman, pretty hard to shoot straight balancing on a running board, lol.. yes i stepped off before shooting..thanks

Wagonmaster
12-01-2007, 11:16 AM
What if the shot in the leg was the only one that connected? He likely would have died a slow death. If you couldn't stop him with some kind of grunt, then let him go. Good hunting ethics demands that we only take fairly high percentage shots, preferably standing broadside. Sorry to be negative, but I can't see shooting at a running deer 150 yards away. With the successful season you had, you didn't need the meat.

KodiakHntr
12-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Since when is needing meat the only acceptable reason a person should hunt?

Your good hunting ethics demand that YOU don't shoot running deer, but evidently others can. And the shots must of been fairly high percentage no? He hit him 2 out of 3 times.

kennyj
12-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Great last minute buck.

lightmag
12-01-2007, 12:37 PM
What if the shot in the leg was the only one that connected? He likely would have died a slow death. If you couldn't stop him with some kind of grunt, then let him go. Good hunting ethics demands that we only take fairly high percentage shots, preferably standing broadside. Sorry to be negative, but I can't see shooting at a running deer 150 yards away. With the successful season you had, you didn't need the meat.

I am a very ethical hunter!! i wasn't exactly "meat hunting" that's why i was holding out for a good one, don't worry i will ALWAYS take the meat! shooting at a running deer at 150 yards is NOT unethical! if you never take a shot at a running animal your freezer and wall will be mightly empty!! I wouldn't try a 200+ running shot on a deer, but on a nice buck like this on the last day during the last 1/2 hour of light, I"M TAKING THE SHOT!! If the leg was the only hit i would have tracked him miles hoping to catch him resting!! i would not have gave up easliy!!

BCJunior
12-01-2007, 12:44 PM
nice looking buck!!! hooooog alert!

Tikka7mm
12-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Nice Buck boys! He's a hog alright. Congrats.

Beer
12-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Why is it that whenever someone on this site shots a nice buck, some dipshit has to pipe up with the ethics question or some other hair brained comment? I still haven't found the perfect slash where there's a bunch of 5 points standing broadside at 50 yards with a big ol' target tucked neatly in behind their front shoulder. Give the guy (and everyone else on here that has connected on a good buck) some credit. He hunted hard, shot a beautiful buck, and was nice enough to share his story and pictures with us. I know if I was in his position I would have done the same thing and so would 99% of the people on here. So lighten up and congratulate the guy for a job well done.

lightmag
12-01-2007, 03:12 PM
thanks for the support guys, i think he's jealous, lol..

horshur
12-01-2007, 03:27 PM
I'll tell you a little secret--this internet ain't a confessional you can leave bits out. Remember, honest hunters bullshit.
Congrats on a fine buck.

Will
12-01-2007, 03:56 PM
I'll tell you a little secret--this internet ain't a confessional you can leave bits out. Remember, honest hunters bullshit.
Congrats on a fine buck.
Yep every buck I shoot at 20 meters is 200 on here ! :p
And every Buck I shoot in the Ars........drops right there on the spot ! :D

Relax folks He put this one in the Freezer.........nuff said:cool:

hunter1947
12-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Some people are to quick to criticize the other when sitting down at the computer ,it's not fair to the person that is getting it with both barrels. Hell i would of taken that shot as well ,good for you that you ended up getting him down. Most hunter out there will wound several animals in there life time and they will get away from them and that's with a good standing shot ,if you think you won't 'then you better stay home.

Walksalot
12-02-2007, 07:03 AM
Congratulations on a fine buck.
Everyone has their own hunting strategy and everyone must live with their decisions. I have wounded a couple in my years of hunting, a fact I am not proud of.
Very seldom will I take a running shot as it is, as the yardage increases, a high risk to wound shot. One of the bigger, if not the biggest, mule deer buck I watched run away. It was less than 100 yds but the chance of wounding was just to great so I let it go but hey, that's just me.

yama49
12-02-2007, 09:57 AM
nice buck. congrats on a fine season...

dogger
12-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Good shooting! Nice way to finish off the season.

4pointer
12-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Why is it that whenever someone on this site shots a nice buck, some dipshit has to pipe up with the ethics question or some other hair brained comment? I still haven't found the perfect slash where there's a bunch of 5 points standing broadside at 50 yards with a big ol' target tucked neatly in behind their front shoulder. Give the guy (and everyone else on here that has connected on a good buck) some credit. He hunted hard, shot a beautiful buck, and was nice enough to share his story and pictures with us. I know if I was in his position I would have done the same thing and so would 99% of the people on here. So lighten up and congratulate the guy for a job well done. x 2

No point in asking "what if" questions because it never happened. Point is he got the buck, end of story. To those who like to criticize, sometimes I just wanna give a big @#!$ you(been criticized myself before). Congrats on a excellent buck.

Blktail
12-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Awesome Buck!!!
Great mass and G3's. Is the 179 net or gross? It is a GREAT score if it is net. You could make a club out of that one G2.

I would have taken the shot too. Many of the detractors are jealous and wouldn't have told the story the way it was if it was them. -40 degrees, uphill both ways 10 miles from the truck , stalked to 10 yards, yelled at him to give himm a chance, shot him because he was dumb enough to stop broadside at 50 yards, yada, yada, yada.

Less than 50% of my deer were perfect shots, but I have only lost 2 in 25 years, one was with the bow. Cost me some meat, but not as much as if I had not shot at all.

If I ever get a deer 1/2 that big I will die happy!

Way to go!

lightmag
12-02-2007, 11:38 PM
thanks again guys, 179 7/8 gross.

Schmaus
12-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I love this forum

Stone Sheep Steve
12-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Congrats on a fine buck.

Bingo!!

Just got back from Sask. "Run and gun" is a way of life out there. Definitely different.

Congrats on a beauty buck!!:cool:

SSS