PDA

View Full Version : Tannery or Taxidermist for Wolf hat?

TheObserver
12-18-2022, 09:42 PM
What would I go to a Taxidermist or Tannery if I wanted a hat made out of the hide from a Wolf?

Also if anyone has a recommendation of a place that does this kind of work and good quality I am in the LWL/Fraser Valley let me know thanks!

MOOSE MILK
12-18-2022, 10:49 PM
Look up the Black Powder Club in your area, go to one of their rendezvous and ask around, lots of very crafty folk there that are always willing to give a hand in projects like this.
MM

Norwestalta
12-19-2022, 05:59 AM
If you're a facebooker try the bc trappers association. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

high horse Hal
12-19-2022, 09:22 AM
http://munster.sasktelwebsite.net/BeaverToque.html

MOOSE MILK
12-20-2022, 01:12 PM
You want to have the wolf face and tail on the hat, don't be shy look up your local Black Powder Club, lots of crafty guys make their own "skins" to reenact the days of the trapper, I know I've done it, just not in the game anymore.
MM

srupp
12-20-2022, 02:11 PM
hmm there is a EXELLENT store in RED DEER ALBERTA we have used.nothing they cant do

Sissons Furs
5013 -50th street
Red Deer Alberta
T4N1Y2
403-346-2291
CHEERS
Steven

ps.they are a furrier not a crafts store they professionally turn animal skins into finished coats..mits..HATS...I have a Canada Goose coat with coyote ruff...I would go to Sissons Furs...Susans fur hat was incredibly well repaired by Sissons Furs...
SOME crafts stores make the finished hats kind of amaturish...goolish...laughable...where as a fur shop will produce a hat you actually would wear proudly...my .02
Steven

TheObserver
12-20-2022, 04:48 PM
Look up the Black Powder Club in your area, go to one of their rendezvous and ask around, lots of very crafty folk there that are always willing to give a hand in projects like this.
MM

Thanks MM, I called them no answer left a message. Going to follow up tomorrow

TheObserver
12-20-2022, 04:49 PM
If you're a facebooker try the bc trappers association. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Noo fakebook or any social media, but i'll give em a call good idea!

TheObserver
12-20-2022, 04:51 PM
hmm there is a EXELLENT store in RED DEER ALBERTA we have used.nothing they cant do

Sissons Furs
5013 -50th street
Red Deer Alberta
T4N1Y2
403-346-2291
CHEERS
Steven

ps.they are a furrier not a crafts store they professionally turn animal skins into finished coats..mits..HATS...I have a Canada Goose coat with coyote ruff...I would go to Sissons Furs...Susans fur hat was incredibly well repaired by Sissons Furs...
SOME crafts stores make the finished hats kind of amaturish...goolish...laughable...where as a fur shop will produce a hat you actually would wear proudly...my .02
Steven

Awesome thanks Steven! I'll give em a call, I would probably have to see about how to ship em the cape unless I wait until I go to visit family out there in Spring or Summer. But this is exactly what i'm looking for ideally would like to have the snout pointing out over my head and the ears stiff up would be cool!

srupp
12-20-2022, 06:06 PM
Jeremia Johnson you are welcome .if your going to wear it...be proud of your wolf hat.. it IS GOING TO BE ON YOUR HEAD ...easily seen and hence must be done correctly...cool project.
having been in their store numerous times..looking at coats....gloves...hats...their work is professional and impressive.....Susans fur hat was impeccably restored.

i had a fellow Paramedic that had a coyote skin tanned and a local amateur made him a coyote hat..truly embarrassing looked like a mad squirrel taking a dump....

everyone smirked or broke out laughing...NOT what you desire..its YOUR wolf pelt.
Sissons also has a website.

good luck..let us see the finished hat..I know you will be proud.
merry christmas
Steven
we have actually shipped Susans fur hat to..and FROM Sissons..DHL?

Norwestalta
12-20-2022, 07:34 PM
Noo fakebook or any social media, but i'll give em a call good idea!

Years ago I had the hutterites build a muskrat hat for my dad. Don't know if you got a colony around?

Halford hides in Edmonton might be a good contact to explore as well

Dannybuoy
12-20-2022, 08:04 PM
Slightly off subject, but if you are ever down to Anaconda Montana ,the fur guy down there has awesum hat and furs ! Anything that walks wolf , badger , wolverine coyote , fox etc etc etc

high horse Hal
12-20-2022, 08:19 PM
Ob, I thought you were after someone to work with your pelt?
what your after is sometimes called a mountain man hat
Canada has several producers of fur products, more in Sask and Man than here in BC

srupp
12-20-2022, 08:29 PM
hmmm Sissons will use your pelt to make your hat according to your instructions...

cheers
Steven

TheObserver
12-20-2022, 09:13 PM
Ob, I thought you were after someone to work with your pelt?
what your after is sometimes called a mountain man hat
Canada has several producers of fur products, more in Sask and Man than here in BC

That's right I got the cape in the freezer, want someone too make it from the one I got killed him this past Sept. Not familiar with tanning or any of the pre steps to make the hat so I would give it to them to do all the work. Until I start looking into fur care myself haven't yet, so much to learn not enough hours in the day lol

high horse Hal
12-21-2022, 12:34 PM
do you have a particular connection with the fur?
if not might be better to sell it and buy a finished product

maybe try the Trappers Den in FSJ for info

TheObserver
12-21-2022, 07:37 PM
Jeremia Johnson you are welcome .if your going to wear it...be proud of your wolf hat.. it IS GOING TO BE ON YOUR HEAD ...easily seen and hence must be done correctly...cool project.
having been in their store numerous times..looking at coats....gloves...hats...their work is professional and impressive.....Susans fur hat was impeccably restored.

i had a fellow Paramedic that had a coyote skin tanned and a local amateur made him a coyote hat..truly embarrassing looked like a mad squirrel taking a dump....

everyone smirked or broke out laughing...NOT what you desire..its YOUR wolf pelt.
Sissons also has a website.

good luck..let us see the finished hat..I know you will be proud.
merry christmas
Steven
we have actually shipped Susans fur hat to..and FROM Sissons..DHL?

Lol definitely don't want the truly embarrassing look, I know what you mean I got showed some by a buddy at work and they looked pretty ridiculous.

Will be sharing the finished product with you fellas for sure, if all goes well and I can get it done i'll post the pics back in here or make a new thread when it arrives

Merry Christmas to you as well,

Dillon

TheObserver
12-21-2022, 07:39 PM
Years ago I had the hutterites build a muskrat hat for my dad. Don't know if you got a colony around?

Halford hides in Edmonton might be a good contact to explore as well

No not sure, never heard of hutterites until now actually haha i'll look into that and Halfords as well.

Hutterites a Christian denomination?

TheObserver
12-21-2022, 07:46 PM
do you have a particular connection with the fur?
if not might be better to sell it and buy a finished product

maybe try the Trappers Den in FSJ for info

I was hunting Elk this Sept (first time going for Elk), and I had bumped into a herd bull w/cows after that I hiked a km east into the wind and heard more hooves thinking another herd of Elk were going to walk by me, all of a sudden a Mulie Doe runs out and 2 Wolves chasing her. They gave up chase right infront of me and when they became aware I was there they looked at each other then back at me and we just had a standoff and I shot the closer one with the completely broadside shot, so was a pretty unique situation.

Wish I had me a go pro cam on my chest, I had some pretty unreal stuff happen this year during Scouting and Hunting and lots of call ins. I am getting one very soon and will start to record this stuff starting this scouting season and will post the videos here of whatever cool/crazy stuff happens

Dannybuoy
12-21-2022, 08:18 PM
I'll ,post up a pic of my coyote hat if you want. It's one option . Would look similar in wolf

TheObserver
12-21-2022, 08:19 PM
Slightly off subject, but if you are ever down to Anaconda Montana ,the fur guy down there has awesum hat and furs ! Anything that walks wolf , badger , wolverine coyote , fox etc etc etc

I don't think i'll be down that way for a long time but I will keep that in mind to check it out!

Norwestalta
12-22-2022, 08:28 AM
No not sure, never heard of hutterites until now actually haha i'll look into that and Halfords as well.

Hutterites a Christian denomination?

Yes it's a religious group. Kinda like the Amish. They're pretty handy at making and building different things.

Norwestalta
12-22-2022, 09:10 AM
Repeat post.

TheObserver
12-24-2022, 03:42 PM
Yes it's a religious group. Kinda like the Amish. They're pretty handy at making and building different things.

Okay thanks i'll see if I got a colony down here in the Fraser Valley, you guys know how long the hide is good for in the freezer? I got it salted folded and rolled

Norwestalta
12-24-2022, 04:34 PM
Okay thanks i'll see if I got a colony down here in the Fraser Valley, you guys know how long the hide is good for in the freezer? I got it salted folded and rolled

If it's well prepared it should last for a while. I'll pm you the email for the president of the bc trappers association. He should know someone who'll do what you need done. Disregard the email address. It appears I accidentally deleted it while trying to forward it.

high horse Hal
01-13-2023, 10:09 AM
How is this progressing? Did you find someone local?
I have a couple cats tanned up, thinking a cover for a snowmobile helmet might look alright )

srupp
01-13-2023, 01:50 PM

HMMM may already be TOAST......you never salt a hide then put it in a freezer..

salt will keep hide from freezing..
freezing will keep the salt from working

dont salt....freeze
or salt and take it in to get tanned..

Steven

TheObserver
01-13-2023, 06:02 PM
How is this progressing? Did you find someone local?
I have a couple cats tanned up, thinking a cover for a snowmobile helmet might look alright )

I couldn't find someone local that had the time, I put in for the export permit now waiting for it to go through. That would be a sweet helmet, the place srupp recommended in Red Deer, Sissons furs said they can do what i'm looking for just figuring out where i'm going to send it to get it ready for them to work on it

TheObserver
01-13-2023, 06:04 PM
HMMM may already be TOAST......you never salt a hide then put it in a freezer..

salt will keep hide from freezing..
freezing will keep the salt from working

dont salt....freeze
or salt and take it in to get tanned..

Steven

Yeah with how things go for me I wouldn't doubt it lol I always seem to learn the hard way. But atleast I only learn it once that way. I got in contact with a place Sissons recommended me and they said they can get it ready but it might take a while we'll see, that would suck to get export permit go to all this work to hear it can't even be worked with....