PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof/Durable Camera

TheObserver
12-17-2022, 11:50 PM
Hey guys,

Unfortunately last week lost my actual samsung camera that I take photos of Wildlife and Scenery with (don't like cameras on phones), forgot to put it in my zip pocket was hikin real steep and it fell out. Week before that zoom stopped fully working so it was time to upgrade anyways even if I do find it.

Wasn't sure where to put this but anybody got any recommendations for a durable and waterproof camera, I think they pretty much all nowadays take pretty good photos now with decent zoom, I don't need anything crazy would like to spend no more than 200-300 dollars but tough and waterproof are pretty important, if there is anybody really into camera's/takin pics i'm all ears

TIA

jlirot
12-18-2022, 10:05 AM
Firstly, even if you don't like phone cameras - the new ones are amazing. I'm shocked at the quality of pix from my iPhone 13 pro. THe older phones were ok but the new ones are at a completely new level.

For a stand alone bullet proof pocket camera - the Olympus was by far my favorite. Mine is at least 10 years old and my kids still use it. Waterproof, dropproof, reasonably priced, etc.

high horse Hal
12-18-2022, 10:34 AM
For pointandshoot, WG-3 has served me well, a newer WG-6 is better
I like the shape for one-handed shots

TheObserver
12-18-2022, 04:05 PM
Firstly, even if you don't like phone cameras - the new ones are amazing. I'm shocked at the quality of pix from my iPhone 13 pro. THe older phones were ok but the new ones are at a completely new level.

For a stand alone bullet proof pocket camera - the Olympus was by far my favorite. Mine is at least 10 years old and my kids still use it. Waterproof, dropproof, reasonably priced, etc.

Truth is I don't even like phones or talking on them but obviously are quite handy and a wealth of knowledge at the finger tips. With that being said I go with the lowest price most basic phone so maybe that is why I hate phone cameras but also taking a pic with one hand is difficult and have to hold real steady or they blurr, the pictures themselves are good but at soon as I zoom even 20 yards, garbage quality.

Thank you, I will look into the Olympus!

TheObserver
12-18-2022, 05:25 PM
For pointandshoot, WG-3 has served me well, a newer WG-6 is better
I like the shape for one-handed shots

I'll check that one out Hal how is the zoom on those?

jlirot
12-18-2022, 05:44 PM
Truth is I don't even like phones or talking on them but obviously are quite handy and a wealth of knowledge at the finger tips. With that being said I go with the lowest price most basic phone so maybe that is why I hate phone cameras but also taking a pic with one hand is difficult and have to hold real steady or they blurr, the pictures themselves are good but at soon as I zoom even 20 yards, garbage quality.

Thank you, I will look into the Olympus!

Yeah, check out the new phones with good cameras. They're as good as any point and shoot. The new ones (iPhone Pro - I don't know about others) even have a optical zoom.

Johnny G1
12-18-2022, 08:34 PM
Sony DSC-W830 is a good little camera 20.1 pixels 8x optical zoom smaller than any cell ph. and Priced @ $300. very happy with mine comes with belt case also. had lots of big camera's over the yrs and finally this is all I carry now.

David
12-19-2022, 11:02 AM

This. If you want indestructable buy an Olympus Tough series (TG-6). Understand that these sort of point-and-shoot cameras are on their way out and not the biggest money makers for camera companies so for actual picture quality a new iphone might be as good or better. From your price comment I assume you don't want an interchangeable lens camera.

The Nikon Coolpix W300 and Panasonic TS7 are "almost as tough" and offer some other interesting things that the Olympus may not. I'd choose between those three.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-waterproof-cameras

TheObserver
12-24-2022, 03:43 PM
Cool thanks for the suggestions guys! I gotta grab one quick here already missed a couple really good picture opportunities

Citori54
12-24-2022, 05:10 PM
I have the Pentax WG-3 as well and have been happy with it.