PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and Whitening methods for Wolf skull

TheObserver
12-15-2022, 07:11 PM
Hey guys,

This weekend i'm going to flesh out and get to cleanin my Wolf head that I got back in Sept.

Not sure how to go about it this is my first Wolf, should I boil it like a Deer skull with a bit of bleach and maybe a bit of degreaser. Or what are some good ways?

For example I know some guys don't even boil Deer skulls they will use chemicals, I think there is a peroxide method. I'll look into it too but thought I would ask you gents and see what you guys do.

Lobot Doog
12-15-2022, 07:42 PM
Do not use bleach on a skull ever. It is very damaging to the bone. Do the following:

1: Clean the skull with a knife to the point where 99 percent of the flesh is removed. The more you remove now the easier the rest will be.

2: Degrease the skull in a solution of dish soap and water overnight. Can do longer, however the teeth will fall out and need to be reglued.

3: Boil the skull just enough to loosen the rest of the meat that remains on the bone (the less you boil the better, as the heat again will damage the bone if excessive).

4: Pressure wash the rest of the meat off the skull until you have clean bone. Make sure to focus the brain cavity, and the nasal cavity.

alternatively you can use beetles to get to this stage, which is way better as you get to keep the nasal cavity as well.

5: Bring the skull to a boil in a mixture of 1 part 30 percent hydrogen peroxide, and 3 parts water. As soon as it hits a boil, remove the skull, and rinse thoroughly. Let dry and should be as white as can be.

This is by far the best method without using beetles, that I have found after doing many, many skulls. Beetles is the best way to go for a pristine skull with nasal cavity intact though.

Good luck.

TheObserver
12-15-2022, 08:27 PM
Do not use bleach on a skull ever. It is very damaging to the bone.

Thanks for pointing this out, extremely dissapointed right now after looking into that a bit. I was told to use a little bit of bleach, a splash and did it without looking into it (trusted this person knew what they were doing).

Did this on a skull from last year and 3 this year already, do you have any experience with bleach? From what i've read the chlorine eats the bone.

I guess you wouldn't know if just a little bit was used and mostly water does it still damage it? They all look fine but from reading apparently it starts to flake then deteriorate over time eventually turning to dust..... or is this if you use straight bleach, and a tiny bit with water won't hurt?

Thanks again, good thing I didn't potenially ruin another skull

Kopper
12-15-2022, 08:32 PM
Lots of methods to use. Some produce better results than others.

Cleaning. Remove as much meat and brain as possible. Beetles are great but I realize not everyone has them including myself.
I personally macerate skulls that have measuring potential. Fish tank heater in a bucket for awhile at this time of year; it stinks. Doing a wolf right now.
If you’re “boiling” to remove the flesh be cautious. You will wreck small bones and actually cook grease into the skull which will be harder to remove in the future. I simmer it at the very most trying to keep the temp down yet still get the job done.

Degreasing. I have a cooler with a lower thermostat wired to a hot water tank element. I keep the temp around 105 and change the water/dish soap mixture once a week. Average skulls take a month. Bears, cats and other greasy animals seem to take longer. This is the most important stage IMO. If the grease isn’t completely taken out it will show up and become more obvious over time. Comparing to old skulls that other methods were used this has produced the cleanest skulls for the long term. Yes this takes some time.

Whitening. I buy grow grade hydrogen peroxide and dilute it a bit. Put it in a plastic container with the skull; then in the water tank. It needs the heat to activate properly and it will fizz. If doing antlered skulls make sure the antlers are sealed off or it will whiten them.

Finishing. Glue in teeth that came out. The canine teeth I do some light coats of that white Elmer’s glue; it’s done a great job of keeping the teeth from splitting as it dries/ages. For sealing I use a couple light coats of non gloss clear sealant.

Which ever methods you decide to use. Cleaning, degreasing and whitening are the 3 big steps.

caddisguy
12-15-2022, 08:33 PM
Not sure about wolf skulls but have done a few bear skulls. Never wanted to risk boiling them and risk cracking anything, especially teeth.

I just macerate them in a rubbermaid container. A little bit of sugar or beer get the rot going. After 2 days, I just take it out once a day and pick away at it, expecting some teeth to fall out (power washing out of the question in this process) so careful if you do it over the sink

Once it's all clean, I let it marinade in some water with a fair bit of dove soap. Rinse and repeat that a little. Then I let it dry out naturally. I'm not interested in bleaching stuff white or anything... I like the natural look... clean bone is light enough, doesn't have to glow in the dark for me.

After it's all dry, I just super glue any teeth that fell out back in. Looks great to me. caddisgirl isn't a fan of me macerating skulls in the kitchen and using the sink for that, but says if she's away to have at it. By chance she's heading back east to visit the fam in Quebec on the 26th for a few days, so I'll be playing catch-up on bear skulls over here :D

Bugle M In
12-16-2022, 12:03 AM
I know my cousins in Germany have a ton of euro mounts.
Been popular over there for decades.
My understanding is they use peroxide for whitening.
And to make the skull shiny, they make a mixture of white glue and water and brush on skull.
Thats how it was told to me.

Redthies
12-16-2022, 09:10 AM
I got my first whitetail and first archery kill on Sunday. My bug guy is no longer doing euros. Since we are discussing it, does anyone know of guys with beetles that are currently doing euros?

bcsteve
12-16-2022, 09:21 AM
Check out Whitebone Creations on YouTube. He's got tons of videos showing his exact process with every imaginable skulls. I used his instructions to do my bear skull and it turned out perfectly.

https://youtu.be/ku2l4zPouBE

Drillbit
12-16-2022, 10:18 AM
I've found it easier to not try and take as much meat as possible off.

I put them in a pot of hot water and dish soap for about 5 hours. Hot but not boiling.

Then I pressure wash them and get covered in brains....I've found the best way to hold them pressure washing is in between a couple atv ramps up off the ground a bit. I also lean a peice of plywood on a sawhorse and kinda hide behind it when I pressure wash.

I find the meat comes off easy in big chunks like this and when I used to cut as much meat as possible off it was harder to pressure wash as the meat would dry out n cook more and stick to the skull more. Could just be a dialing in the temperatrue thing but it still saves a lot for knife work doing it the way I do now.

Then I pick away with needle nose pliers and make sure I get everything off.

Then warm peroxide dunk.

My problem now is finding peroxide. I have 5 skulls ready and 1 I'm going to cook soon, but I don't know where to buy it.

Retiredguy
12-16-2022, 10:35 AM
For peroxide check out the big garden centres. Most sell it in 20 litre size jugs of around 30% peroxide. Greenhouses use it to sterilize their greenhouses prior to starting a new batch of plants.

jlirot
12-16-2022, 11:17 AM
This sounds really gross! :-) I don't think I could pick at something all stinky and rotting every couple of days. I have too sensitive of a nose and I would be gagging and crying.

I have a couple of skulls that are really not worth spending hundreds of dollars to clean. But, it would be really awesome to clean them for my son.

How sensitive are dermastids? How about putting the skulls in a barrel (on top of my seacan to keep it away from bears! ) with a couple of skulls and pile of sawdust and letting it sit for 2-3 months? I'm not in any rush.

I think I can get a small colony for 50 bucks or something. I don't want to start a business or really spend a lot of time but buying a small colony every couple of years and throwing them into a barrel with a couple heads is an attractive idea - if it would work.

It would be interesting to hear from some of the folks who have used dermastids.

Heck - if someone like Caddis who doesn't mind the stink has a spot - I'll buy the beetles and we can throw a few skulls in and let them go to town.

Not sure about wolf skulls but have done a few bear skulls. Never wanted to risk boiling them and risk cracking anything, especially teeth.

I just macerate them in a rubbermaid container. A little bit of sugar or beer get the rot going. After 2 days, I just take it out once a day and pick away at it, expecting some teeth to fall out (power washing out of the question in this process) so careful if you do it over the sink

Once it's all clean, I let it marinade in some water with a fair bit of dove soap. Rinse and repeat that a little. Then I let it dry out naturally. I'm not interested in bleaching stuff white or anything... I like the natural look... clean bone is light enough, doesn't have to glow in the dark for me.

After it's all dry, I just super glue any teeth that fell out back in. Looks great to me. caddisgirl isn't a fan of me macerating skulls in the kitchen and using the sink for that, but says if she's away to have at it. By chance she's heading back east to visit the fam in Quebec on the 26th for a few days, so I'll be playing catch-up on bear skulls over here :D

tadpole
12-16-2022, 04:58 PM
NEVER Boil!! NEVER Bleach!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?93889-Skull-Work&highlight=Skull+Work

And when in doubt, ask the Pro's:

https://www.taxidermy.net/forums/

rocksteady
12-16-2022, 06:21 PM
Jilrot to successfully clean skulls you need massive numbers of bugs. The key is to have a skull completely clean in 72 hours. Any longer than that and the meat rots and tendons etc turn into bulletproof.

Did it as a hobby business for 3 years.

TheObserver
12-16-2022, 06:36 PM
NEVER Boil!! NEVER Bleach!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?93889-Skull-Work&highlight=Skull+Work

And when in doubt, ask the Pro's:

https://www.taxidermy.net/forums/

I shouldn't have said boil, I mean simmer and that is what I did with the 4 skulls I mentioned this and last year. After some research I think the 4 I did are not completely f***ed as I used a very small amount of bleach.

Thanks for the links, I actually already started reading on taxidermy.net last night, i'm going to make an account and ask them about my dilemna tonight. So far I have found if only a minimal amount of bleach was used apparently I can leach some out soaking it in baking soda or powder (have to look again), but i'll ask the guys over there what is best.

Really hope they don't damage/deteriorate over time, one I took with my bow and they all cost me massive time and energy to get blood sweat and boot leather.

Thanks everyone for the info, thinking peroxide method for the Wolf i'll let you all know how it turns out and post pics

RackStar
12-16-2022, 07:00 PM
Ive used a big jug of hair salon peroxide in a paste and works great. I’ve done a muley and a goat. I know others who use this method too. I’d do it again. This year I decided to pay 100 bucks and have it done by someone.

Redthies
12-17-2022, 01:06 AM
My buddy on this forum Evcity has beetles. Give him a PM and I am sure he can hook you up.

Gracias amigo!

jlirot
12-17-2022, 03:25 PM
Good info. I had no idea!

Jilrot to successfully clean skulls you need massive numbers of bugs. The key is to have a skull completely clean in 72 hours. Any longer than that and the meat rots and tendons etc turn into bulletproof.

Did it as a hobby business for 3 years.

bruteforce17
12-17-2022, 07:11 PM
Just borrow the diesel hot water pressure washer from work and it’s done in 30 min. Clean and white and all grease gone.

TheObserver
12-17-2022, 10:22 PM
Got all the meat and cape off tonight, going to get rest of it off tomorrow and do hydrogen peroxide method.

Also salted and wrapped cape going to see about getting a hat made

These things jaws are so strong and muscular through to the back of the head it is insane!

TheObserver
12-17-2022, 11:35 PM
So far

https://i.imgur.com/vwVMlvM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S34STOw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8PbQgXJ.jpg

TheObserver
12-18-2022, 09:34 PM
Defleshed and degreased, just need to whiten now

https://i.imgur.com/ZtUbdQ5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/R9CWuT8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4hLrvHS.jpg

Drillbit
12-18-2022, 09:58 PM
For peroxide check out the big garden centres. Most sell it in 20 litre size jugs of around 30% peroxide. Greenhouses use it to sterilize their greenhouses prior to starting a new batch of plants.

will check, thanks!

OP, looks great so far!

tadpole
12-18-2022, 11:04 PM
OP, looks great so far!

Yep.

Degrease next I assume?

bc7mm
12-19-2022, 09:29 AM
Certainly if you are going to be scoring the skull boiling will likely cause more shrinkage than other methods. Ive heard the term “ boil it out of the book “. I’ve seen this happen. However boiling is relatively easy, and if you don’t care about score.

sillybear
12-19-2022, 12:33 PM
I usually do it in a little nicer weather. First I trim as much meat as possible, including the tounge. I then put in a large pot of water with baking soda and simmer. Do not boil.
After a little while when the membrane on the skull shrinks back. I lift it out scrape what I can off, and tie up by the nose and jaw to keep the teeth out of the water.
Keep removing and cleaning. the lower jaw may seperate but thats ok. A screwdriver or stiff wire and garden hose takes care of the brains.
when it is clean I place in direct sunshine and brush on 3% hydro-peroxide. The peroxide and baking soda react in a bleaching process and the sunshine works well.

TheObserver
12-20-2022, 04:53 PM
will check, thanks!

OP, looks great so far!

Thanks buddy!

TheObserver
12-20-2022, 04:54 PM
Yep.

Degrease next I assume?

No I degreased, the pictures were takin right out of the water/pressure washer so thats why it looks shiny/greasy.

Looks good now no shine looks pretty degreased, why you think it could use/I should do another round of degreasing?

TheObserver
12-20-2022, 04:57 PM
Certainly if you are going to be scoring the skull boiling will likely cause more shrinkage than other methods. Ive heard the term “ boil it out of the book “. I’ve seen this happen. However boiling is relatively easy, and if you don’t care about score.

I simmered very carefully, made sure not to be anywhere near a boil. But i'm sure still has an effect on that, thinking of doing maceration or beetles for future skulls, but time, money and somewhere to macerate and no beetles limited me to the simmer for this guy

wsquared
12-25-2022, 08:36 AM
Working today, thought I'd share a problem and solution that should be helpful.

I have had bear and wolf skulls that I thought were degreased. Used the dawn soap/simmer/change water method.
After sitting on my display for 6 months+, greasy spots showed up on lower jaw, and above the upper teeth.
To solve this I used White gas( fuel tins from the hardware store). Two 1 gallon tins should do. Need a 5 gallon bucket with a lid that seals. Submerge skull in the white gas, install lid and tape shut. Leave it for 3-5 days, I left it in heated garage at 15 C.
Once done, take outside and open up. The greasy spots will be gone, and a congealed pool of yellow goo(fat) will be sitting on bottom of bucket. Skull can dry in sun or in garage. White gas can be reused, pool of goo can go in firepit.
Check for any teeth that may have come loose, re-glue if needed.

TheObserver
12-25-2022, 01:08 PM
Working today, thought I'd share a problem and solution that should be helpful.

I have had bear and wolf skulls that I thought were degreased. Used the dawn soap/simmer/change water method.
After sitting on my display for 6 months+, greasy spots showed up on lower jaw, and above the upper teeth.
To solve this I used White gas( fuel tins from the hardware store). Two 1 gallon tins should do. Need a 5 gallon bucket with a lid that seals. Submerge skull in the white gas, install lid and tape shut. Leave it for 3-5 days, I left it in heated garage at 15 C.
Once done, take outside and open up. The greasy spots will be gone, and a congealed pool of yellow goo(fat) will be sitting on bottom of bucket. Skull can dry in sun or in garage. White gas can be reused, pool of goo can go in firepit.
Check for any teeth that may have come loose, re-glue if needed.

Cool buddy thanks for sharing that! I actually got it in the peroxide right now, seems to be taking care of the little bits of flesh that were hard to get at the back of the skull also. Anyone know if peroxide does any additional de-greasing?

When I pull it out rinse it off well and dry it I will post some pics of the finished product

Retiredguy
12-25-2022, 03:40 PM
Yes....immersing the skull in white gas will definitely get the grease out. A taxidermist friend of mine in Manitoba uses the white gas to degrease bear skulls, and he also said that you can reuse it. You just need to make sure you get the grease sludge out of the bucket. He usually poured from one bucket into another through some cotton cloth to strain the crud out.