PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Hunting Boots,,, Is there one pair.

XPEIer
12-14-2022, 07:42 AM
So, I am in need of a new pair of hunting boots, my insulated Red Setters finally gave it up, but I am wondering if a person can get by with one "insulated" hunting boot that will do from Sept into Dec hunting in cold weather (-10 to-15). This will also include hiking into a blind, sitting still for hours, then hiking around after that.

I have a massive pair of boots for ice fishing, but no way I could or want to still hunt in them,,, I dont think a leather boot with a few hundred grams of insulation will cut it for sitting still. I know I can pack the ice fishing boots into my blind and change when I get in there, but trying to stay quiet while doing that is tough.

So, do I plan on looking for one boot, or plan on 2 different styles? I was hoping to invest in a high quality leather hunting boot this year, but if I need to buy two types I may have to lower my budget on the leather pair.

Thoughts.

XPEIER

HarryToolips
12-14-2022, 08:04 AM
For my cold weather hunting, I've liked my Thinsulate 800's: warm, not too heavy, as I put lots of miles on them, though of course more of a burden than hikers...as for quietness, a couple weeks ago I was able to sneak up within 50 yards of a bedded muley buck in crunchy snow, the boots did their part..

wideopenthrottle
12-14-2022, 08:12 AM
i use my "ice fishing" boots all hunting season...they are one size smaller than i normally wear to keep them snug fitting and are perfect for all terrain except steep mountain hunting or where you do a ton of side hill walking...never a blister or sore feet never cold feet..if they are too loose they are no good for walking but snug fit and they are perfect...i bring 2 or 3 sets of liners and insoles for a quick swap out at lunch if i step in water too deep...did i mention they need to be snug...heheheh...and at under 100 bucks a pair you arent afraid to dry them by the woodstove...
So, I am in need of a new pair of hunting boots, my insulated Red Setters finally gave it up, but I am wondering if a person can get by with one "insulated" hunting boot that will do from Sept into Dec hunting in cold weather (-10 to-15). This will also include hiking into a blind, sitting still for hours, then hiking around after that.

I have a massive pair of boots for ice fishing, but no way I could or want to still hunt in them,,, I dont think a leather boot with a few hundred grams of insulation will cut it for sitting still. I know I can pack the ice fishing boots into my blind and change when I get in there, but trying to stay quiet while doing that is tough.

So, do I plan on looking for one boot, or plan on 2 different styles? I was hoping to invest in a high quality leather hunting boot this year, but if I need to buy two types I may have to lower my budget on the leather pair.

Thoughts.

XPEIER

RiverOtter
12-14-2022, 09:38 AM
I prefer 2 boots when it's too cold for hikers. I have a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers and a pair of Arctic Sport Muck's. They're both warm and comfortable, but my feet sweat a lot, so it's nice to be able to switch back and forth to let the insides complete dry out.
Kitchen Bag liners over your socks help with keeping inner boots nice and dry too.

high horse Hal
12-14-2022, 09:43 AM
.......no...........

RiverOtter
12-14-2022, 09:46 AM
.......no...........
Sums up the whole thread topic in a word. :)

RackStar
12-14-2022, 10:05 AM
https://schnees.com/schnees-boots/schnees-pac-boots/

after having cold feet and -30 temps this fall I did a lot of research and this Montana boot company is what I came up with and will be buying. There’s different models for your needs. There will not be a boot for all cold weather. You’d want a different boot for tree stand / blind then still hunting.

RackStar
12-14-2022, 10:06 AM
^^ buy a extra set of liners so you have warm dry feet every day

Bugle M In
12-14-2022, 10:39 AM
I have 800gr boots.
Does make it warmer.
But a boot that has a big felt liner like many boots used for ice fishing are designed to be even warmer.
But crappy to hike in usually.
Tou can try buying those heated battery insoles, but they are expensive.
Uses a remote control to turn on and off.

igojuone
12-14-2022, 10:40 AM
Pick up some heated socks.

BimmerBob
12-14-2022, 10:46 AM
For ice fishing in extreme cold I found that Indian moccasins were the ticket, my feet were warm and toasty walking on the snow covered ice to well below -35 C, I had a couple of pair made by a lovely lady in Iskut and still have them, she made them to fit over my felt liners.

ghost
12-14-2022, 10:47 AM
i had cold feet this year in my tree stand with winter boots, and heaters in them. has anyone used a heater body suit or similar set up? i even thouigh about using an old sleeping bag for my legs and feet

RiverOtter
12-14-2022, 11:32 AM
Preaching to the choir I'm sure, but a big part of warm feet is well insulated legs. I've seen a lot of guys complain about cold feet, even in decent boots, while having minimal leg insulation.

bushpilot
12-14-2022, 11:38 AM
Im switching to an insulated hiker (400gr of insulation) and then utilizing and over boot for when I’m stationary (treestand or glassing). I found that liner boots make your feet sweat on the hike in then they get cold after a couple of hours.

Otto1946
12-14-2022, 11:39 AM
I have had/used many pairs of boots, usually have 6-7 on hand at any given time. I have had Schnee's and they are very good. I will be buying a pair of Hoffman's from Idaho, soon and I size mine to use liners in them.Either of these brands will do the job and last a long time.

BRvalley
12-14-2022, 12:01 PM
whatever boots you get make sure they are oversized and can fit insulated sole and heavy socks/liner....I like the irish setter gunflints, extra wide toe box helps

after that, I use insulated overboots, put them on at the base of my tree before climbing up/or in the blind right away, need to put them on while your feet are warm, they don't help when your feet are frozen already....I add the largest size hand warmers midday when it's really cold....if you're in a ground blind square foamie between your boots and the ground helps too

I hike in slightly underdressed so i'm not already sweating when i gear up at tree/blind....pack in the arctic shield body suit (heater suit knock off) when it's below -15 and i'm planning to sit all day.....layer up in down jacket and pants/whatever insulation layers before I suit up....make your noise in the dark, do it quick and then get comfy and quiet

I agree with the core insulation comment, keep the core and legs insulated, it helps a lot to keep the toes warm for all day sits.....heat packs against your stomach and down your legs really help a lot....but for the amount i spend on heat packs in November, I could probably invest in heated vest and socks/boot liner lol

I dabbled in heated socks once and they sucked, so stayed away for a while but maybe they've improved by now

ACB
12-14-2022, 12:07 PM
For stand sitting I have a pair of Lacross pack boots and when the temps really drops I use a pair of Arctic Shield over boots that I got at Bass Pro that fit over the pack boots, they don't have any tread (smooth bottom) so they're not meant for hiking around in but do they work? A resounding yes, I been in a tree stand in Sask. all day at -17C and never get cold feet. Mind you you have to be able to put them on in the tree stand because you would never climb the latter with them on. For hiking around still hunting I use the same Lacross pack boots but they're getting long on the tooth so I'v been looking at other types that will fit inside those over boots.

J_T
12-14-2022, 12:29 PM
I've been using variations of these Hoffman boots since the 90's. Great fit, good traction, good shin protection. Tough and durable boot. You can acquire them in a lighter boot for early/wet season or these double insulated for late season. I also have a pair of the "Glacier" boots from Marks. My feet don't get cold. Sat in -20plus for 3-4 hours during the late season this year.

https://hoffmanboots.com/double-insulated-hoffman-mountaineer

Bugle M In
12-14-2022, 12:32 PM
Yup, whatever you wear, as for under layers and socks (heavy ones that pull up to the knees, imo, plus and under layer sock the wicks away the sweat), you need to figure that out first, before purchasing boots as you will need the boots to be oversized and agree with the toe space, as the airspace adds warmth if done correct, just not to the point you slip in them, otherwise it can be blister city, the wicking sock also helps against that), and you can bash up your toes if too loose, and too tight!.
The insulated over cover boot is a great idea.
My gaiters aren’t insulated, but they have made a difference for several reasons, and a purchase that I have no regrets with for the last 30 years.

Just depends how cold you are talking about and what you plan on using them for, sitting or walking.
I have the meindl 800gr, wicking socks, thick knee high socks, heavy felt soles in the bottom of boot, 100% merino long johns and the gaiters (gortex).
Way better know but I can still get cold toes if really cold and not moving much.
Toe hot shots help in those days.

If I was somewhere really cold and out all day, I would be wearing something much more suited for skidooing etc, but don’t think my hikes would be as long.

Ron.C
I cant use the same boot for extended cold weather sits and hunts where im moving.

If im sitting, I ike heavy pack boots large enough to permit a liner sock/heavy sock combo that still allows for a bit of toe wiggle room. Boot laces are loosened off when sitting.

If im hunting on the move, an insulated boot but not like my sitting boots. I now have hanwag trapper tops for hunting colder weather on the move.

justachip
Muck Arctic Pro hunting, sledding, ice fishing I wear them for everything.Probably the best do it all boots. Another tip is to have electric boot driers so you start every day with dry boots.

Wentrot
12-14-2022, 01:19 PM
I prefer 2 boots when it's too cold for hikers. I have a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers and a pair of Arctic Sport Muck's. They're both warm and comfortable, but my feet sweat a lot, so it's nice to be able to switch back and forth to let the insides complete dry out.
Kitchen Bag liners over your socks help with keeping inner boots nice and dry too.

exactly what I did this year. Muck boots half the day and swapped into another pair for the second half so the first could dry out.

high horse Hal
12-14-2022, 06:14 PM

after having cold feet and -30 temps this fall I did a lot of research and this Montana boot company is what I came up with and will be buying. There’s different models for your needs. There will not be a boot for all cold weather. You’d want a different boot for tree stand / blind then still hunting.Have had schnees for 20+ yrs, just buy new liners. The reg. boot with the 400 gr removable liner is good to near zero for stop and go hunting IMO. The Extreme has more insulation but only the 400 gr liner is removable for easy drying
These are no different than offerings from Whites, LaCrosse, Kenetrek Sorels Hoffman et al
some co's have an industrial line with heavier rubber portion

high horse Hal
12-14-2022, 06:21 PM
Muck boots
Best liner is the Bama socks, quite absorbent, and easier to swap out once or twice in a day, easier than carrying a second pair of boots

Bugle M In
12-14-2022, 07:59 PM
Yup, I don’t think most folks give much thought to swapping out docks during the days hunt.
But it’s a good point being brought up.
Even though ties feel frozen, if walking you will sweat in them.
Nothing better than a dry pair of socks, and that boot dryer if one can swing it is another good thought I hadn’t considered.

XPEIer
12-14-2022, 08:44 PM
Preaching to the choir I'm sure, but a big part of warm feet is well insulated legs. I've seen a lot of guys complain about cold feet, even in decent boots, while having minimal leg insulation.

I think that was part of my issue,,, that I can easily fix with a heavy wool blanket.

XPEIer
12-14-2022, 08:55 PM
So, I think I will be utilizing my ice fishing boots more while in the blind, I can hike into the blind in them, they already accept toe warmers inside the liners. Then a pair of light insulated leather hiking boots for rest of season.
I have been using the Darn Tough heavy weight over the calf sock, plus my gaiters so that helps a bunch.
Those Schnees look good, not cheap but nothing good is cheap.

XPEIR

Stone Sheep Steve
12-15-2022, 03:31 AM
Another vote for the Muck Arctic Pros.
They aren’t too bulky for hiking.
Not good for warm or cool temps but they are great for cold weather.
Not a lot of use for them here in Mexico.

SSS

XPEIer
12-15-2022, 07:31 AM
i use my "ice fishing" boots all hunting season...they are one size smaller than i normally wear to keep them snug fitting and are perfect for all terrain except steep mountain hunting or where you do a ton of side hill walking...never a blister or sore feet never cold feet..if they are too loose they are no good for walking but snug fit and they are perfect...i bring 2 or 3 sets of liners and insoles for a quick swap out at lunch if i step in water too deep...did i mention they need to be snug...heheheh...and at under 100 bucks a pair you arent afraid to dry them by the woodstove...

So what boot do you use,,, you just state "ice fishing" boot.

XPEIER

Sitkaspruce
12-15-2022, 06:34 PM
I use my old Sorel Mavericks if I am still hunting through the bush. Since I can no longer get the liners, I might see if I can get liners from Schnees or Hoffmans. If I can't, I will get a pair of Schnees or Hoffmans. Great boots for cold season.

For sitting in a blind, I hike in using light weight shoes from Bogs. Once there, I switch to Marks Rig boots with new socks. I have one of those absorbent towels that I use to wipe my feet down and let them air dry, no matter the temp. Then new wool socks and the boots. Feet rarely get cold sitting for 7-8 hours. I also change my tops and my bib pants have zipper vents to allow me to air out before the sit.

I have the Muck Arctic Pro boots that are good for cold weather as well, but my feet sweat in them and get cold. I use them more for checking cameras and scouting. They good for moose hunting though!!

Cheers

SS

SR80
12-16-2022, 07:01 AM
Ive been looking into this schnees and hoffman boots, i wonder how well they work for hiking. Obviously not gonna compare to a mountain boot but must be better than a sorel?

blacklab
12-16-2022, 07:26 AM
I've used Schnee Hunters and then a pair of LaCross for colder weather and stand hunting.
I finally had to admit that my feet have got bigger (old age).
I have my Hunters down at Schnees right now getting them to put one size larger bottoms.
I'm getting the Extreme bottoms hoping they will replace both my old boots.

J_T
12-16-2022, 07:34 AM
Ive been looking into this schnees and hoffman boots, i wonder how well they work for hiking. Obviously not gonna compare to a mountain boot but must be better than a sorel?
You get the right boot and they are better than a 'mtn boot'. Depending on what your referring to as a mtn (leather boot). For elk hunting terrain, the schee/Hoffman boot is my go to. I wear my Hoffmans more than my Asolo's (only wear these when it's hot). I have two pair of Hoffmans. My second newer pair are heavier and work great in snow and treestands. Dry feet, protected shins, good traction great boot. I've packed more elk out wearing my Hoffmans than my leather boots.

SR80
12-16-2022, 07:46 AM
You get the right boot and they are better than a 'mtn boot'. Depending on what your referring to as a mtn (leather boot). For elk hunting terrain, the schee/Hoffman boot is my go to. I wear my Hoffmans more than my Asolo's (only wear these when it's hot). I have two pair of Hoffmans. My second newer pair are heavier and work great in snow and treestands. Dry feet, protected shins, good traction great boot. I've packed more elk out wearing my Hoffmans than my leather boots.

Good to hear!

wideopenthrottle
12-16-2022, 08:03 AM
the rubber boot with insole and liner and the string at the top to cinch up and keep snow out...i have had several brands over the years...the last pair i got was from army and navy 3 years ago....i will have to check what the brand name is but it was made in canada and has a maple leaf in the tread

So what boot do you use,,, you just state "ice fishing" boot.

XPEIER

for moose
moose39 - HuntingBC.ca Photo Gallery (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=35839&title=moose39&cat=500)

even for elk
myelk - HuntingBC.ca Photo Gallery (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=35835&title=myelk&cat=500)

ACB
12-16-2022, 12:06 PM
Yup, I don’t think most folks give much thought to swapping out docks during the days hunt.
But it’s a good point being brought up.
Even though ties feel frozen, if walking you will sweat in them.
Nothing better than a dry pair of socks, and that boot dryer if one can swing it is another good thought I hadn’t considered.
Swapping socks is a great idea, we used to do this after a strenuous hike with a lot of elevation gain in cold weather, in fact used to change out T shirt as well.

high horse Hal
12-16-2022, 12:15 PM
I've used Schnee Hunters and then a pair of LaCross for colder weather and stand hunting.
I finally had to admit that my feet have got bigger (old age).
I have my Hunters down at Schnees right now getting them to put one size larger bottoms.
I'm getting the Extreme bottoms hoping they will replace both my old boots.Did you get a quote or just waiting for the bill?
am interested in the same service, another size would be good

Arctic Lake
12-16-2022, 02:09 PM
I have a pair similar to those not sure what brand as they are packed away . They have the felt liners but leaked at where the stitching is joining the lower rubber shoe to the leather upper . I put some GOOP brand Shoe Goo on the stitching Arctic Lake

after having cold feet and -30 temps this fall I did a lot of research and this Montana boot company is what I came up with and will be buying. There’s different models for your needs. There will not be a boot for all cold weather. You’d want a different boot for tree stand / blind then still hunting.

Arctic Lake
12-16-2022, 02:13 PM
[JT Do you have a link to the Hoffmanns that you wear ?
Thanks
Arctic LakeQUOTE=J_T;2378161]You get the right boot and they are better than a 'mtn boot'. Depending on what your referring to as a mtn (leather boot). For elk hunting terrain, the schee/Hoffman boot is my go to. I wear my Hoffmans more than my Asolo's (only wear these when it's hot). I have two pair of Hoffmans. My second newer pair are heavier and work great in snow and treestands. Dry feet, protected shins, good traction great boot. I've packed more elk out wearing my Hoffmans than my leather boots.[/QUOTE]

Harvest the Land
12-16-2022, 03:11 PM

Thoughts.

XPEIER

I was in your situation about 4 years ago. Wanted a decent hiking boot to get to my blind/stand, and then also have that boot be warm enough to sit all day in and not have frozen toes, but also didn't want to hike in giant oversized muck boots. I searched forever and found a pair called Salomon Men's Toundra Pro Climasalomon Waterproof Winter Boots Amazon.com | Salomon Men's Toundra Pro Climasalomon Waterproof Winter Boots Snow | Boots (https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Mens-Toundra-CSWP-Hiking/dp/B08Y2KRSM2?th=1)

They were actually originally designed for NASA astronauts so they are extremely light weight (lightest boots I've ever worn by a country mile) which is nice for doing lots of hiking, especially through snow. But the biggest selling feature is the fact that they are indeed the warmest boots (not just hikers, the warmest of all boots) I've ever worn, way warmer than the old school Sorels with the wool liners. So there is a slight chance they could be a tad too warm for early season hunts, but your mileage may vary. For days where I plan on sitting in the blind all day, all I need is one pair of heated socks (no need for a second pair of socks) and these boots - if toes start to get a tad cold after sitting for a few hours, just press a button to turn the socks on and toes warm up instantly because the insulation of the boots is excellent.

The drawbacks are my pair isn't exactly waterproof (almost but not quite). I noticed a tiny leak after my second season in them, which unfortunately was just after the warranty expired (I think its 2 years), but 2 years later, the leak has not gotten any worse and because they're so warm I don't even notice the leak until I take the boots off at the end of the day and see a wet spot on the socks. Also, they do take a bit longer to break in and feel comfortable. Other than those 2 drawbacks, these boots are pure gold.

(PS, what part of PEI are you from? I was born in Charlottetown and my old man owns Brackley Farm)

blackbart
12-16-2022, 10:06 PM
Have been using the same pair of Schnees for about 18 years down to -39 mule deer hunting. Also use them logging and cant complain. Cheaper than all other boots when you compare yearly cost!!!!

Arctic Lake
12-17-2022, 10:44 AM
Little bit off topic but just came across this on FaceTube regarding slippage of boot soles on ice
https://youtu.be/JhUk7qMtcjI
Arctic Lake

RackStar
12-17-2022, 11:05 AM
Have been using the same pair of Schnees for about 18 years down to -39 mule deer hunting. Also use them logging and cant complain. Cheaper than all other boots when you compare yearly cost!!!!

nice to hear, I feel confident I will be happy with the purchase.

Sportster
12-17-2022, 01:59 PM
Here's my 2-cents. 11years ago I bought a pair of winter hunting boots on sale from cabelas, 800gr ,10" tall, half size larger. Those thin reflector insoles you can buy anywhere. On top of those 100% wool insole. And I can't emphasize this enough. You have to invest in high quality wool socks! This is where you make it or break it imo. I wear thin moister wicking socks, you get from Mark's, and heavy socks made of buffalo yarn and merino wool blend from herdwear out of Texas. And this is another bit of advice. Don't reef your laces up to tight, you're restricting the blood flow to your feet if you do that. 2, this doesn't matter if you're on the spot and stock or hiking, but if you're sitting in a tree stand or blind for hours, don't sit there and wait for your toes to start to get cold, keep wiggling your toes every few minutes, stand up and rock back and forth on your feet now and then it really makes a difference, because once numbness starts to set in, your done. Tip 3. Your extremities are the first thing to get cold. (Hands and feet) If I can keep my hands warm that's three quarters of the battle for me, if my hands get cold my whole body gets cold fast. I use a hand warmer pouch, before I leave camp I put four 10 hour hand warmer packs in them and take extras if it's really cold. Tip 4. WOOL! Over the last few years I've invested heavily in wool clothing and ditched most of my synthetic clothing. Lite weight 100% marino wool base layer to heavy 100% marino wool base layer, lite 100% wool sweaters and heavy wool sweaters, lite wool pants and heavy wool pants, lite weight wool coat and heavy wool coat, and marino wool underwear. Wool is amazing at regulating your body temperature. It's breathable, moisture wicking, you can wear the same clothing for days and it doesn't stink and wool is ultra quiet when walking. As all of you know, nothing's worse than being cold and miserable when you're out hunting or fishing. Hope these few tips help to keep you warm and comfortable in your outdoor adventurers. All that being said if and when I do buy new boots they'll be 1000gr mountain extremes by Kenetrek.

XPEIer
12-18-2022, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the tips, I am pretty much there as far as the other clothing, and I plan on even more improvements next season on keeping my body /legs warmer to get the heat all the way to my toes. I am thinking I will leave a tote in my blind with a large wool blanket and go with the Artic Shield overboots with hand warmers in those,, over my new boots whatever they may be. I will also be making up a better heater system using the Sterno heater cans (they worked ok this year), but somehow I need to eliminate the noise out of opening the cans etc as metal on metal is not what I want to be doing. The kids bought me one of these for around the house,,, it might migrate to the blind as it is crazy warm, but bulky.
https://ca.theoodie.com/collections/oodies/products/grey-oodie

XPEIER

Here's my 2-cents. 11years ago I bought a pair of winter hunting boots on sale from cabelas, 800gr ,10" tall, half size larger. Those thin reflector insoles you can buy anywhere. On top of those 100% wool insole. And I can't emphasize this enough. You have to invest in high quality wool socks! This is where you make it or break it imo. I wear thin moister wicking socks, you get from Mark's, and heavy socks made of buffalo yarn and merino wool blend from herdwear out of Texas. And this is another bit of advice. Don't reef your laces up to tight, you're restricting the blood flow to your feet if you do that. 2, this doesn't matter if you're on the spot and stock or hiking, but if you're sitting in a tree stand or blind for hours, don't sit there and wait for your toes to start to get cold, keep wiggling your toes every few minutes, stand up and rock back and forth on your feet now and then it really makes a difference, because once numbness starts to set in, your done. Tip 3. Your extremities are the first thing to get cold. (Hands and feet) If I can keep my hands warm that's three quarters of the battle for me, if my hands get cold my whole body gets cold fast. I use a hand warmer pouch, before I leave camp I put four 10 hour hand warmer packs in them and take extras if it's really cold. Tip 4. WOOL! Over the last few years I've invested heavily in wool clothing and ditched most of my synthetic clothing. Lite weight 100% marino wool base layer to heavy 100% marino wool base layer, lite 100% wool sweaters and heavy wool sweaters, lite wool pants and heavy wool pants, lite weight wool coat and heavy wool coat, and marino wool underwear. Wool is amazing at regulating your body temperature. It's breathable, moisture wicking, you can wear the same clothing for days and it doesn't stink and wool is ultra quiet when walking. As all of you know, nothing's worse than being cold and miserable when you're out hunting or fishing. Hope these few tips help to keep you warm and comfortable in your outdoor adventurers. All that being said if and when I do buy new boots they'll be 1000gr mountain extremes by Kenetrek.

RiverOtter
12-18-2022, 08:58 AM
For ground applications, don't overlook a little catalytic propane heater. Placed under a small folding chair in conjunction with a blanket over your lap is quite a warming device.

high horse Hal
12-18-2022, 10:56 AM
anyone heard of or tried Grubs or Polyvers from Rainboots.ca?

wideopenthrottle
12-18-2022, 12:27 PM
the rubber boot with insole and liner and the string at the top to cinch up and keep snow out...i have had several brands over the years...the last pair i got was from army and navy 3 years ago....i will have to check what the brand name is but it was made in canada and has a maple leaf in the tread

for moose
moose39 - HuntingBC.ca Photo Gallery (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=35839&title=moose39&cat=500)

even for elk
myelk - HuntingBC.ca Photo Gallery (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=35835&title=myelk&cat=500)

the brand name on mine is "baffin"

blacklab
12-19-2022, 09:21 AM
$110.00 plus shipping and new liners.
Second pair I've had done works out to about $200 all in.
Better than $350 US for a new pair.

adriaticum
12-19-2022, 09:25 AM
I don't think there is a one size fits all seasons solution.
I prefer one early season boot and one for deep snow

HappyJack
12-19-2022, 05:44 PM
I google some of the recommended boots, and by gawd I suffer serious sticker shock!! Am I the only one?

Sitkaspruce
12-19-2022, 08:18 PM
I google some of the recommended boots, and by gawd I suffer serious sticker shock!! Am I the only one?

If you want to stay warm, then yes you will need to spend the $$$. Nothing worse that having to call your hunt short because your "winter" boots are not up to the task. As one person stated, they are on they 18 year on Scheens. I spent $120 30 years ago on Sorel Mavericks, which was a huge amount of money for boots and up until a couple years ago, was still wearing them. I have a million mile on them and the outerboot is still good as new, the liners are gone and now you can't find them. Old review but I think they were the start of the Scheens/Hoffman boots.

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/sorel/maverick/

So, yes it is worth the $$$ to be and stay warm, depending on what you are doing.

Cheers

SS

Ourea
12-19-2022, 09:21 PM

Sportster has offered some great insight.

Hiking vs sitting is night and day. The coldest I've sat in all day is -27. After that I drug in a 20 lb propane tank with a small heater. I could have been sipping Mai Thais and applying sun tan lotion while sitting in that blind. I have not sat in a tree stand for yrs. Walking generates body heat, sitting does not.
On the boot thing, quality walking pr. Sitting pr.

wideopenthrottle
12-20-2022, 12:12 PM
like you said about the 2 pairs of socks being better...there is another reason...your wool socks will last longer and not get holes at the heels when you wear a 2nd pair...ive buurned through a bran new pair of wool socks in a day if i didnt wear a 2nd pair of thin ones underneath

nature girl
12-20-2022, 04:59 PM
I like my wetland muck boots.

troutseeker
12-20-2022, 06:03 PM
I recently picked up a pair of Oboz Bridger B-Dry 10" Insulated Boots. I've worn them hiking to my spot and on stand for half-days in -18 as well as a couple of days ice fishing in -23 and was fin e. They have 400 grams of Thinsulate and are reasonably supportive for a winter boot. Additionally they are not super bulky.

blacklab
12-21-2022, 12:08 PM
Did you get a quote or just waiting for the bill?
am interested in the same service, another size would be good

I got a call from Shnees this morning, new bottoms new liners and return shipping
$184.00 US. will be shipped in 2 weeks.

Arctic Lake
12-22-2022, 08:49 AM
Anyone try these ?
https://youtu.be/WXn-aCT0f-o
Arctic Lake

RiverOtter
12-22-2022, 09:10 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/15fxjLKL/signal-2022-12-19-15-56-46-369.jpg (https://postimg.cc/rKXYdZ3J)
Not mine, but a buddy just sent me a pic of his latest pair. He started using them in Alaska and loves them.
Only caveat is, they're not much good above -10 or so, as they won't keep moisture from soaking in from the outside.
He's also owned and used the military 'Bunny' boots, but said they turn your feet into a slimy mess. They do work as advertised though in extreme temps, though you won't win any points for style.

Arctic Lake
12-22-2022, 10:01 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/15fxjLKL/signal-2022-12-19-15-56-46-369.jpg (https://postimg.cc/rKXYdZ3J)
Not mine, but a buddy just sent me a pic of his latest pair. He started using them in Alaska and loves them.
Only caveat is, they're not much good above -10 or so, as they won't keep moisture from soaking in from the outside.
He's also owned and used the military 'Bunny' boots, but said they turn your feet into a slimy mess. They do work as advertised though in extreme temps, though you won't win any points for style.

River Otter ! Wonder if a good silicone spray would be good for waterproofing those boots
Arctic Lake

high horse Hal
12-22-2022, 11:47 AM
Anyone try these ?
https://youtu.be/WXn-aCT0f-o
Arctic Lakeupdated version , the old ones just had a simple 4 hole lace, no zip
they have the best wool liner and insole ever, not a felt-type like all other pak boots, more loft more breathability

RiverOtter
12-22-2022, 01:13 PM
River Otter ! Wonder if a good silicone spray would be good for waterproofing those boots
Arctic Lake
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. I think the beauty of these boots is that they allow body vapour to escape, thus keeping your feet dry during prolonged exposure.
I'm honestly thinking about getting a pair for myself, but as a special purpose boot, not a stand alone.
I can definitely see the advantage to being able to dry them fast, if you got them wet. Good as my Muck Arctic Sports are, heaven help you drying them out if they ever get dipped.

XPEIer
12-24-2022, 07:29 AM
Has anyone used these?

https://www.neosovershoescanada.com/products/insulated-navigator-5-gray

XPEIER