PDA

View Full Version : Introducing new Hunters to Hunting

TheObserver
12-11-2022, 12:20 PM
Hey guys,

So I talk a lot about Hunting whether it's at work or with buddy's or even at the grocery store and small talk a lot of the time.

I know we need more of us to stand up for what we love the Outdoors and Hunting and firearm ownership but also I want to be able to expose people to these animals, hunting them, and their world as you know it is pretty amazing and breath taking, and makes for some fine memories.

I got 5 or 6 buddy's I am trying right now to at least commit to 1 trip (day or weekend) scouting so they can see what it's all about this Spring or Summer for Mule Deer so we see a good amount of game and the weather ain't bad and they got the proper stuff to get them through the day too see if they like it. One guy is excited and we went and got him a .270 with a 3-9 and he is definitely getting into it.

But others I have noticed in the past hard to get people out, what are some ways you can encourage? I understand if someone doesn't want to at the end of the day nothing will make them, but people are interested but when it comes time back out or don't go through.

Obviously I want to make it a good experience so they enjoy it (and hopefully get hooked lol), won't push them to hard on the hiking, make sure they have what they need, weather isn't too extreme etc..

Some ways to encourage and kind of do's and dont's for taking newbies out?

Also if anyone can let me know where I can get CORE manuals and what the cost are i'd appreciate that TIA!

savage10
12-11-2022, 01:07 PM
The initiation license would be a great way to get their feet yet if they aren’t ready to commit to taking the courses/getting their full licences. A nice camp out with some fun grouse hunting, target shooting ect is always a good time with little to no pressure. Another good way to get them more interested is sharing the harvest, inviting them over for good wild game dinners, sharing pepperoni/sausage ect

Imdone
12-11-2022, 01:33 PM
CORE manuals are available through the BCWF they have Regulations synopsis as well.
Good for you getting and helping new hunters out

silveragent
12-11-2022, 01:37 PM
Every year I take out an average of five new hunters to go duck or goose hunting in the easy spots that I usually go to. Despite my latest misadventure, I tend to just sit down in chill spots where the retrieving is easy and the going isn't too hard. Like Savage10 says above, having a low pressure environment is good and gives you a chance to impart lessons you learned and answer any of their questions. I find with duck hunting at least, the change of opportunity is high so they will at least be able to get a shot or two off and at the very least will be able to see that the birds are out there and what wing shooting skills are needed. Also with duck hunting in the Lower Mainland, usually the land is accessible and doesn't require 4x4s and not all of it needs waders.

One important part is if they can get past the idea of killing something, dealing with the harvest can also be a barrier. You can send them home with the dead animal but if they don't know how to butcher it or cook it, they could see it all as a waste. Some hunters come into it - in this age - not for the adventure but because of the idea of getting natural foods. If they screw up the meal, they might not see it as worth it. So sending them a recipe or two and giving them a tutorial on how to butcher it is a needed step.

While I've been less successful converting my close friends to hunting, they have readily accepted my birds but I've taken pains telling them how to cook it.

Ghillie
12-11-2022, 01:47 PM
Good advice. Sharing the fruits of your success can get a lot of people interested. Secondly I find that just going scouting/hiking can then interest those who may have thought it wasn't for them. For example, if I had ever invited my wife hunting earlier on in our relationship, she'd probably decline since she isn't interested in the hunt or kill. But after a few years of going hiking in areas I'd hunt (I told myself I was scouting, and told her we were hiking ��) and seeing game, I'd mention to her that this is all the same as hunting except we aren't going to put a stalk on that animal and try to take him, instead we'll just observe.

Now you can do this with your friends, especially if you've shared some of the jerky and pepperoni with them. Take them scouting and share some of that meat, explaining that you're planning on going actual hunting in X amount of time and ask if they want to join. If you're succesful you'll share the meat, and or if they're super interested you can offer up the initiation license with the shared bag limit.

Now small game hunting such as grouse hunting is another high action, low investment way to get people hooked.

Iron Glove
12-11-2022, 02:44 PM
I've found that getting them out to the range, the woods, whatever for some firearm shooting has been a great start. That way they get used to guns, take a liking to them then can progress to hunting if they so wish. Son, Son In Law, his best Pal, now working on the Grand Girls.
Last Thanksgiving Son, Son In Law and I, all hunters took the best Pal out for a cruise basically looking for grouse, the Pal really enjoyed it ( he had his initiation ) and right after went out and got his CORE done. Had to chuckle, he was basically anti gun, then OK with guns but so no need for those evil black semis, didn't think much of hunting. Now he's a hunter, has an evil black semi ................. :lol:

TheObserver
12-12-2022, 05:10 PM
Never thought of Grouse hunting for those on the fence good ideas guys

TheObserver
12-12-2022, 06:24 PM
Had to chuckle, he was basically anti gun, then OK with guns but so no need for those evil black semis, didn't think much of hunting. Now he's a hunter, has an evil black semi ................. :lol:

Hahaha right on!

TheObserver
12-12-2022, 06:26 PM
Every year I take out an average of five new hunters to go duck or goose hunting in the easy spots that I usually go to. Despite my latest misadventure, I tend to just sit down in chill spots where the retrieving is easy and the going isn't too hard. Like Savage10 says above, having a low pressure environment is good and gives you a chance to impart lessons you learned and answer any of their questions. I find with duck hunting at least, the change of opportunity is high so they will at least be able to get a shot or two off and at the very least will be able to see that the birds are out there and what wing shooting skills are needed. Also with duck hunting in the Lower Mainland, usually the land is accessible and doesn't require 4x4s and not all of it needs waders.

One important part is if they can get past the idea of killing something, dealing with the harvest can also be a barrier. You can send them home with the dead animal but if they don't know how to butcher it or cook it, they could see it all as a waste. Some hunters come into it - in this age - not for the adventure but because of the idea of getting natural foods. If they screw up the meal, they might not see it as worth it. So sending them a recipe or two and giving them a tutorial on how to butcher it is a needed step.

While I've been less successful converting my close friends to hunting, they have readily accepted my birds but I've taken pains telling them how to cook it.

I've never Duck hunted myself, I really want to and was going to start dipping my toes in the waterfowl world next season, need a good shotgun though with the way things are going idk how easy it is going to be to find/get one......

MOOSE MILK
12-12-2022, 08:33 PM
X2 on starting them out at the range, I too have a son-in-law that was brought up in a no-guns no-hunting family. After many hunting stories I invited him to the range, he didn't think it possible for him to hit a target at 100 yds. With proper gun-handling and coaching his first shot hit the 100 yd. gong.
Christmas gift that year was a .22 that set the ball a-rollin' he now has a .300 WM. and a 12 gauge. He has been on several hunts with me for moose and deer,
even though he has not connected with big game yet he is a grouse getter and anxious to learn.
MM