PDA

View Full Version : 2 sheep hit and killed by Rafium

Bugle M In
12-10-2022, 01:47 PM
Saw on the WSS Facebook site (can’t figure out how to grab the link in my iPhone).
2 sheep hit and killed in Radium.
Just like the comments made when the R4 sheep went to LEH.
How is LEH going to help this????
Driving thru KNP they used to have signs on the amount of wildlife killed by vehicles.
Honestly, those #’s were probably higher than the game taken by hunters.
Just saying.

Sad part is, those sheep are well known to be by the roads in Radium, just like the sheep at t Spences Bridge.
Signs all over yet they still get run over!

srupp
12-10-2022, 02:34 PM
hmmm the sheep bed up on the hill by Redstreak campground..both rams and ewes.
the vehicle strikes have been in the narrow gorge straight up/down cliffs..however signs are abundant.
sad outcome
steven

RyoTHC
12-10-2022, 02:46 PM
Saw on the WSS Facebook site (can’t figure out how to grab the link in my iPhone).
2 sheep hit and killed in Radium.
Just like the comments made when the R4 sheep went to LEH.
How is LEH going to help this????
Driving thru KNP they used to have signs on the amount of wildlife killed by vehicles.
Honestly, those #’s were probably higher than the game taken by hunters.
Just saying.

Sad part is, those sheep are well known to be by the roads in Radium, just like the sheep at t Spences Bridge.
Signs all over yet they still get run over!

also a big beautiful ram killed in cherry creek as well.
signs everywhere. Wide open road.. tough to not see a sheep.

Ron.C
12-10-2022, 02:54 PM
Not at all surprised. Driven through this area in Radium a pile of times and watched people nearly hit sheep and other vehicles. I get its a beautiful area and lots to see, but thats no excuse.

Also, next time you are a passenger in a car, see how many drivers you see paying more attention to thier phones then the road. $%^&$# scary!!

LBM
12-10-2022, 03:08 PM
hmmm the sheep bed up on the hill by Redstreak campground..both rams and ewes.
the vehicle strikes have been in the narrow gorge straight up/down cliffs..however signs are abundant.
sad outcome
steven

The majority of them or not hit by any narrow gorge with straight up/down cliffs.
And if the story is about 2 rams neither have been found dead yet, but they were hit.

Ghillie
12-11-2022, 01:52 PM
Didn't the WSSBC do a bunch of salt dropping in the north in order to persuade sheep to travel away from the highways where they were being hit? Maybe this needs to happen around this area?

srupp
12-11-2022, 06:31 PM
The majority of them or not hit by any narrow gorge with straight up/down cliffs.
And if the story is about 2 rams neither have been found dead yet, but they were hit.

spent a lot of time there..also seen a downed ram just past the gorge at the parking lot..didnt see but thinking it was a vehicle strike..seen ewe/lamb bumped in the gorge..straight above is a bedding area..very special place to our family...have walked the trail from Redstreak to the pools..
steven

LBM
12-12-2022, 09:51 AM
spent a lot of time there..also seen a downed ram just past the gorge at the parking lot..didnt see but thinking it was a vehicle strike..seen ewe/lamb bumped in the gorge..straight above is a bedding area..very special place to our family...have walked the trail from Redstreak to the pools..
steven

Mr Rupp first off no disrespect intended, and very nice that it is a special place for your family. Next time your coming out if you want send me a message can show you the sections where most of the sheep are hit, and if you want to go for a walk can maybe even find some of the remains of some for they dont all die on the road. As said the majority are not hit in the gorge or near any straight up and down cliffs. People have to decide if they want that herd to be lawn and hood ornaments or go back to being wild or semi wild sheep. People think there protecting them but in fact possibly causing more to die. You use to be able to hunt around Radium but that got shut down and sadly the final push to that was a bow hunter that shot a ram and it went up and died in the ditch by the highway. Same with cougars if one comes in and kills a sheep the cat is killed, for what, they say public safety but yet more people have had to go to hospital or are hurt by collision's with the sheep then hurt by cats. Its pretty much a joke, and if you also take in all the other surrounding areas where the sheep use to winter or hang out that are now taking over by other recreation groups/humans odds are not in there favor. The sheep there are now like many of the other areas town deer, they are born and raised there they never leave and go back to the back country like they used to.

Darksith
12-12-2022, 09:57 AM
Didn't the WSSBC do a bunch of salt dropping in the north in order to persuade sheep to travel away from the highways where they were being hit? Maybe this needs to happen around this area?

we continue to do the salt program to try and get the sheep off the road, but ultimately the ministry needs to do something to protect these animals and all our efforts have failed to get them to act but we keep trying.

srupp
12-12-2022, 05:25 PM
Mr Rupp first off no disrespect intended, and very nice that it is a special place for your family. Next time your coming out if you want send me a message can show you the sections where most of the sheep are hit, and if you want to go for a walk can maybe even find some of the remains of some for they dont all die on the road. As said the majority are not hit in the gorge or near any straight up and down cliffs. People have to decide if they want that herd to be lawn and hood ornaments or go back to being wild or semi wild sheep. People think there protecting them but in fact possibly causing more to die. You use to be able to hunt around Radium but that got shut down and sadly the final push to that was a bow hunter that shot a ram and it went up and died in the ditch by the highway. Same with cougars if one comes in and kills a sheep the cat is killed, for what, they say public safety but yet more people have had to go to hospital or are hurt by collision's with the sheep then hurt by cats. Its pretty much a joke, and if you also take in all the other surrounding areas where the sheep use to winter or hang out that are now taking over by other recreation groups/humans odds are not in there favor. The sheep there are now like many of the other areas town deer, they are born and raised there they never leave and go back to the back country like they used to.

thank you for the detailed explanation...understood and understandable...I have only seen 3 sheep hit in Radium in my time.have no idea how many or why..believe this is the Stoddard herd?
I think it has been said the sheep did not die on scene..good but outcome??
I do thank you for the invite..hmmm our family has rented a home for another visit this coming summer..
for a year we were homeless and stayed/lived in a tent at Redstreak during summer months hotel in winter it is a very special place for our family.
i respect and acknowledge your local history and behind the scenes intel.
im hoping the rams..sheep thrive.
same sort of scenario exists at Spenses bridge..as well as couple other highway hot spots.
genuinely appreciate your local intel and sharing.
cheers
Steven

LBM
12-13-2022, 09:20 AM
thank you for the detailed explanation...understood and understandable...I have only seen 3 sheep hit in Radium in my time.have no idea how many or why..believe this is the Stoddard herd?
I think it has been said the sheep did not die on scene..good but outcome??
I do thank you for the invite..hmmm our family has rented a home for another visit this coming summer..
for a year we were homeless and stayed/lived in a tent at Redstreak during summer months hotel in winter it is a very special place for our family.
i respect and acknowledge your local history and behind the scenes intel.
im hoping the rams..sheep thrive.
same sort of scenario exists at Spenses bridge..as well as couple other highway hot spots.
genuinely appreciate your local intel and sharing.
cheers
Steven
Well theres been over 200 killed in the last 20years, thats not including the ones that were sick, that they were putting down a few years ago. This herd use to disperse all the way down to
the flats, and towards golden and some would also come down the highway from the cross. Have also seen them on the west side of the valley.
As said if your out this way and want to look around send a message. Doesnt have to be sheep stuff, you may just want to see the country or fishing or elk hunting spots.

LBM
12-27-2022, 11:23 AM
The last couple havent faired so well in there attempt to cross. People just dont like to slow down.

Deer_Slayer
12-29-2022, 10:45 AM
Good point. Golden is same. They make it so tame for the wild sheep they just hang around the hilltop. Also doesn't help when idiots disregard signage and drive like arseholes through these areas.