PDA

View Full Version : Quick set up wall tent options?

luger
12-07-2022, 09:38 AM
Hey

I’m looking at purchasing a wall tent, but I would like to get one that can set up fairly quickly.

I seen some hunters using those pop up Canopy’s with the sides installed but I’m thinking they won’t hold up in the wind well.

What are my options? I don’t want to get a trailer or truck camper. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

wideopenthrottle
12-07-2022, 10:14 AM
for big wind we run/stake down a few sets of rope overtop of the tent to hold it all down

Brew
12-07-2022, 10:21 AM
The cabelas 12x12 is a great tent and it has stood up to wind just fine. I’ve had mine for about 15years maybe longer. Setup is easy

northernguy
12-07-2022, 10:22 AM
I have been using a Kodiak tent from Reliable tent. About 12x14 in size. It's very simple to set up and only takes about 10-15 minutes for one person to set it up. Under 10 minutes with two people for sure. It uses three vertical main poles with 8 small side poles to hold it up. No external frame. Stands up well in the wind and sheds snow reasonably well. Side walls are a bit shorter when compared to a conventional wall tent but it's not really an issue...fair compromise given how fast and easy it is to set up!

Marc
12-07-2022, 10:29 AM
Deluxe Wall tents our longest sponsor on the website. They are durable, used aluminum internal frames and if anything is going to hold up in snow or wind this tent will do it all.

Check them out at https://www.deluxewalltents.com/

You could also make a donation and get a try for every $5 you donated for this tent draw!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?171645-***Christmas-2022-Deluxe-Wall-Tent-Giveaway!***

To set up only takes about half an hour to set up, more people helping even less!

Cheers,

Marc.

Ron.C
12-07-2022, 10:30 AM
How quick of set up are you looking for? And by wall tent I assume you mean a canvas wall tent.

I could set my 10x12 wall tent with 5' porch by myself, stove installed and the whole tent tarped and staked in 35 minutes. Speaking from experience, its a windsock and needs to be staked down well.

I watched the setup of a nylon cabelas alaknak, took about 25 minutes with stove installed. Much more compact and less expensive than a wall tent but IMO no where near as durable or as good in snow.

Bell tents, spike tents are another option but like the cabelas are not free standing and can be troublesome if ground is very rocky.

rageous
12-07-2022, 10:40 AM
How quick of set up are you looking for? And by wall tent I assume you mean a canvas wall tent.

I could set my 10x12 wall tent with 5' porch by myself, stove installed and the whole tent tarped and staked in 35 minutes. Speaking from experience, its a windsock and needs to be staked down well.

I watched the setup of a nylon cabelas alaknak, took about 25 minutes with stove installed. Much more compact and less expensive than a wall tent but IMO no where near as durable or as good in snow.

Bell tents, spike tents are another option but like the cabelas are not free standing and can be troublesome if ground is very rocky.

Exactly this. My 14x16 wall tent is 20 years old and is still 100%.
Can put it up in 20 minutes with a second hand.

once you figure out the lengths and fittings it’s pretty quick to set up.

A properly used and stored wall tent will last a hunters lifetime.

Darksith
12-07-2022, 10:52 AM
Hey

I’m looking at purchasing a wall tent, but I would like to get one that can set up fairly quickly.

I seen some hunters using those pop up Canopy’s with the sides installed but I’m thinking they won’t hold up in the wind well.

What are my options? I don’t want to get a trailer or truck camper. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
I can setup my 14x16 canvas wall tent with internal metal frame in 15 minutes or less essentially. A lot of the times I won't even peg it down, just depends on the season. They go up quick if you know what you're doing.
Ice shield roofing rubber makes a great non slip floor!

BRvalley
12-07-2022, 12:19 PM
check out these tents, double walled and both styles setup quite quickly, I camp ice fishing in mine and handled some pretty crazy winds

https://hot-tent.com/collections/tents?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkMGcBhCSARIsAIW6d0B6wrg93l0CkE 0_F1H1Fifw4oZ29j7zBtabFoCu4Thd1lJhqoOb8AAaAvPmEALw _wcB

Canadian distributor is Bereg-Canada but don't think they have any stock at the moment due to the russia sanctions, the US website above can ship to Canada still

https://i.imgur.com/uH6dEy3.jpg

Timberjack
12-07-2022, 02:59 PM
Interested in this...

Anyone have or set up the Arctic Oven tents? I hear nothing but good (except the cost). The Arctic Oven Igloo looks like it would set up in less than 5mins, just like a regular 3-person tent. FWIW, I have a deluxe wall tent - 12x14 with a porch. Prob 1/2 hour like Ron said. It's awesome for a few days plus, but not practical to set up for a night. Plus it's quite bulky ie too bulky for a quad-in type trip. I was looking at the Arctic oven tents cause setting up would actually make sense by one's self and also for a night or two... or for a quad trip. plus more compact for a fly-in trip. Thoughts?

TJ

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
12-07-2022, 05:53 PM
My older Pioneer 14x16x5 wall tent takes me about 1/2 hour to set up by my self. It has an internal 4 truss frame. More time required to stake it down and tarp it too. I usually add about a 16ft porch out front too. Also have a friend with a 16x22 and that thing takes forever to set up the way he has it done.

Darksith
12-07-2022, 09:38 PM
Interested in this...

Anyone have or set up the Arctic Oven tents? I hear nothing but good (except the cost). The Arctic Oven Igloo looks like it would set up in less than 5mins, just like a regular 3-person tent. FWIW, I have a deluxe wall tent - 12x14 with a porch. Prob 1/2 hour like Ron said. It's awesome for a few days plus, but not practical to set up for a night. Plus it's quite bulky ie too bulky for a quad-in type trip. I was looking at the Arctic oven tents cause setting up would actually make sense by one's self and also for a night or two... or for a quad trip. plus more compact for a fly-in trip. Thoughts?

TJ

If your camping just for a night or 2 do you really need something with a stove? Just a thought, I get it but it seems like a lot of work for a spike camp when a good bag and clothes would suffice

Not trying to derail this thread but why are you guys tarping your canvas wall tents? I rarely tarp mine, get the stove going and it will melt the snow, the water beads off of it if you treat it with thompson water seal once every few years if you use it a lot...I have a tarp I just dont see the need to use it often unless its really tough wet weather for extended periods

Timberjack
12-09-2022, 01:01 PM
If your camping just for a night or 2 do you really need something with a stove? Just a thought, I get it but it seems like a lot of work for a spike camp when a good bag and clothes would suffice

three reasons:
1 - when you get totally soaked in a coastal rainstorm or chasing a buck for hours through wet snow, curling up wet in a sleeping bag and waking up the next morning trying to convince yourself that it's worth putting on soaking wet gear, boots, etc and doing it again sometimes is unreasonable (and occasionally unsafe).
2 - My 11 year old daughter is wanting to join on some trips ie quick ones that don't involve setting up a wall tent for a week at a time. Want the experience to be fun before dad makes it "challenging" if you know what I mean...
3- going back into a quad-only area with the wall tent, frame and large stove isn't practical - so was looking at options for a smaller, lighter option that could be packed on the quad or in a quad trailer for a few days of late season hunting - again a woodstove would be a pre-requisite...

That's why I was thinking a quick setup with a stove is most certainly desirable in some circumstances... Cheers,
TJ

Timberjack
12-09-2022, 08:02 PM
So no arctic oven owners/users on here? I know the premium price keeps lots of people away but they sure seem to be the cream of the crop for quality and function….

Anyone have experiences to share?

TJ

Downwindtracker2
12-09-2022, 08:40 PM
My 12x14x5 took about an hour by myself . If I was setting up a family tent it would take me about the same time. What for me was slow was the tight fitting joints of the internal frame I made. A looser lighter aluminum frame would be quicker.

whitlers
12-09-2022, 08:40 PM
What about a large Tipi and stove?

264mag
12-09-2022, 08:48 PM
I picked up the stone glacier sky dome a couple years ago, paired with a new way propane heater. It’s awesome, easy to set up 3-4 guys on short cots, no diesel or wood smell and it’s absolutely bomb proof.

Timberjack
12-11-2022, 03:29 PM
What about a large Tipi and stove?

Ya worth considering for sure…. I just want sure of the number of guy lines required would be a pain, or even restrictive in some cases…

whitlers
12-11-2022, 03:40 PM
Ya worth considering for sure…. I just want sure of the number of guy lines required would be a pain, or even restrictive in some cases…

Fair enough. Definitely need suitable ground for a non free standing tent like that. Those Arctic Oven tents do look pretty cool. If you want to be able to pack it on a quad I would say that Arctic Tent and a Tipi are your best lighter weight and packable options. The Tipi being far lighter.

eric
12-11-2022, 08:00 PM
I have run the 12 man Kifaru Tipi for going on twenty yrs now, I don't have the liner in it, and the condensation is crazy when the outside temps get low.Sure, I do burn off the moisture with the wood stove in the morning, but it gets old after awhile.
As much as this tent has served me well over the yrs, getting really tired of the wet showers in the morning.
My next tent will be the Arctic Oven one.

the_longwalker
12-12-2022, 07:39 PM
I have a 9x9 Esker Arctic Fox and I love it. One centre pole and stake it out. Perfect size for me and my dog and the wood stove. They make a 10x10 as well. The canvas tent is about 13 lbs and packs up the size of a sleeping bag, Kni Co stove packs up with everything needed inside of it. FWIW.

TeeVee
12-13-2022, 10:18 AM
I have a 9x9 Esker Arctic Fox and I love it. One centre pole and stake it out. Perfect size for me and my dog and the wood stove. They make a 10x10 as well. The canvas tent is about 13 lbs and packs up the size of a sleeping bag, Kni Co stove packs up with everything needed inside of it. FWIW.

These look pretty nice! Kinda stuck between getting the 10x10 artic fox or going bigtime with a deluxe wall tent? Just needs to be big enough for 3 cots and easy to setup.

RackStar
12-13-2022, 10:36 AM
You’ll be crammed in like sardines with a 10x10 arctic fox.

go 12x14 for 3 guys , Not too big if solo also

Timberjack
12-13-2022, 12:22 PM

Appreciate the thoughts on the Arctic fox. A better price point too (than the arctic oven..) and more readily available in canada... what's the minimum number of lines to stake it out properly? Do you find the lines hold things tight or is it constantly in need of adjustment and tightening to keep the walls from sagging inwards? The weight is a little more reasonable too.

Also, enough room for two cots and a stove or really just for one (and a pooch)? I'm actually thinking a couple of low ultralight cots would be nice for a setup like that...

TJ

RiverOtter
12-13-2022, 01:16 PM
Doesn't get much simpler than this for easy up, easy down and wood heat. 10x10 pop up shelter with a clip in wall kit. Even when trailer camping in cooler weather I'll often set it up as a drying room, sitting area and cooking/dining space.
https://i.postimg.cc/hPz9TYtS/20221028-180341.jpg (https://postimg.cc/nCxjt0m5)

RiverOtter
12-13-2022, 01:20 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/0NxDg2dQ/IMG-5011-2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/SnTJC4PF)

wideopenthrottle
12-13-2022, 02:04 PM
we've used a walltent frame (double long ~16 feet) with a tarp (instead of canvas) attached to a tepee then used some rope overtop tied to logs to hold it all down
IMG_20181104_165521 - HuntingBC.ca Photo Gallery (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=35831&title=img-20181104-165521&cat=500)

we've also just used the double length wall tent with a woodstove

02914 - HuntingBC.ca Photo Gallery (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=37148&title=02914&cat=500)

1S1K
12-15-2022, 01:28 AM
I have an Arctic Oven. It’s amazing. I can set it up in about 10 minutes (tent only, by myself). To put the stove in and the floor takes another 10 minutes or so. My hunting partner and I can have everything set up with cots, stove, etc, in 15-20. I transport it in two backpacks for ease of carrying. It only weighs about 30lbs. I put the main body in an old expedition pack I have, and then the fly goes in a small day pack along with others small bits and pieces. It’s a great system if you’re willing to commit the cash. Super warm - like you need to open the door sometimes with a fire going.

PM me if you want to chat about more specifics. I’ve added a few things to mine and it’s now pretty bomb proof, and bug proof!

the_longwalker
12-15-2022, 09:22 PM
A 9x9 Arctic Fox will fit one cot and a dog or 2 people and a dog with no cots. Still a bit squishy though. 9 guy outs total. I wanted something small for my toboggan and quick to set up for hunting. I would get a Snow Trekker if I was to do it again I think.

Dench
12-16-2022, 02:18 PM
Fair enough. Definitely need suitable ground for a non free standing tent like that. Those Arctic Oven tents do look pretty cool. If you want to be able to pack it on a quad I would say that Arctic Tent and a Tipi are your best lighter weight and packable options. The Tipi being far lighter.

What's your tipi advice? Did you make your own?

high horse Hal
12-16-2022, 10:58 PM
Doesn't get much simpler than this for easy up, easy down and wood heat. 10x10 pop up shelter with a clip in wall kit. Even when trailer camping in cooler weather I'll often set it up as a drying room, sitting area and cooking/dining space.
https://i.postimg.cc/hPz9TYtS/20221028-180341.jpg (https://postimg.cc/nCxjt0m5)saw one like that where the guys had sewn in sleeves in each wall panel that a fiberglass pole was inserted, sure added rigidity and less noise in the wind, 2or3? in each wall