PDA

View Full Version : Shoot or Don't Shoot

JIL_24/7
12-06-2022, 01:20 PM
Hello all,
Yesterday, while out hunting, I came upon two whitetail does and a whitetail buck. He is a beauty. I mean. Dang. They see me and stop. I do too. The does stay frozen, but the buck after stopping for half a second, darts behind leave-less alders about 80-90 yards down from my kneeling position. I knew that if he moved it would be down the draw and I would never see him again. I clearly identified him as a whitetail, so I know he is legal, plus his rack is 5x6 most likely at least. Here's the thing. I can see the brisket basket through the branches, but it's behind probably two alders, I cannot see his head, I'm shooting a .300 WinMag. It's the only shot I'm going to get. If I move they'll all be gone. Shoot or don't shoot??????????????

huntingfamily
12-06-2022, 02:33 PM
How do you know the buck will be gone if you move?
Any ethical hunter wouldn't shoot unless they had a clean shot at it. YMMV...

wideopenthrottle
12-06-2022, 02:40 PM
if i am shooting free hand at more than 50 yds like you described i would probably wait for a clear shot...with a rest, i would probably "thread the needle" if the boiler room was in view

HarryToolips
12-06-2022, 03:20 PM
As long as I had a clear opening to a vital I'd be taking the shot...been there, done that..

JIL_24/7
12-06-2022, 03:25 PM
Ok. Let me clarify a bit. There is no alleyway that is clear of branches. The bushes are all free of leaves which allows me to see the buck's ribs, but there is no "clear" alley as the branches are crisscrossing in front of the deer.

Bugle M In
12-06-2022, 03:33 PM
It’s amazing how well the mind will let you shoot, even free standing past 100yards, if it is a clear broadside shot.
But, it is also amazing how the mind and thus accurate shooting go out the door when you know you are shooting thru junk.
I know many guys who have taken game shooting thru some brush.
But I know way more who have totally missed or worse, wounded game they never retrieve.
Wait for a clear shot, imo.
A buck in rut won’t go too far during that time.
A bull elk can be located again, many times.
A friend I know just missed a really nice buck because he shot thru a shooting lane that had some branches.
End result, deer is gone.

RackStar
12-06-2022, 03:44 PM
Just took a small twig to deflect a bullet aimed at a huge 6pt elk with a 300wsm a couple years back. He even came back and bugled at me after the shot but I was convinced I had a dead bull and this was another one bugling at me. So I didn’t even go back after him. After 5hrs of surveying the ground I concluded there was no dead bull and a clean miss.

no brush shots for me

Imdone
12-06-2022, 04:51 PM
Don't shoot

tinhorse
12-06-2022, 05:41 PM
Can't see the head, you're sure it's the buck you're shooting?
If you're sure of the target and have a clear shot, let fly. Branches in the way likely to deflect the shot don't shoot. Easy decision

tinhorse
12-06-2022, 05:42 PM
If you have to debate it, probably best to not

high horse Hal
12-06-2022, 05:52 PM
under 100 .....with a good scope picture you should be able to see a 2" window if there is one, more than enough
kneeling, not so good, I'd be prone with a quick rest like a daypack
zeroed @ 200?, maybe 1"high @ 90?
lots to proces quick

at best its 50/50

BeerMan
12-06-2022, 06:21 PM
Agree 100%

hawk-i
12-06-2022, 06:47 PM
Don't shoot until you have a clear shot....better to let the deer walk than wound it.

jlirot
12-06-2022, 06:58 PM

This.

Pass and then debate it over and over in your head is better than shoot and wish you hadn't.

REMINGTON JIM
12-06-2022, 07:12 PM
Don't shoot until you have a clear shot....better to let the deer walk than wound it.

Absolutey ! RJ

Redthies
12-09-2022, 08:37 AM
It’s amazing how well the mind will let you shoot, even free standing past 100yards, if it is a clear broadside shot.

Yup. I was shocked how steady my offhand shot was last season. I’m normally all over the place shooting offhand when sighting in or testing new ammo, but I was rock solid when the crosshairs were on the animal.

jlirot
12-09-2022, 10:09 AM
Yup. I was shocked how steady my offhand shot was last season. I’m normally all over the place shooting offhand when sighting in or testing new ammo, but I was rock solid when the crosshairs were on the animal.

^^^^ Yep. My deer this year was offhand. At the range I would have been shaky and doubting myself. In the field, I didn't even think about it, just an automatic point and shoot. That's why we practice. :-)