PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Mountain Lion without Hounds

TheObserver
11-23-2022, 07:16 PM
Anybody done it, not incidentally but actively seeking them?

How would be the best ways to go about it, electronic calls?

I've maybe seen one in 29 years, maybe. So definitely never had a chance even incidentally.

srupp
11-23-2022, 07:41 PM
hmmm one of my best friends is PRIMO mountain lion..lynx.. guide/outfitter who runs a really class act in the valleys that the #1 cougar was harvested from...with hounds..
heard of one guy who decided to hunt cougar without hounds.
He did what I would have done..he cruised the back roads looking for BIG tracks that were fresh..fresh fresh then parked the truck and hiked in after the cat...he did this numerous times until he actually found the cat...and proceded to wound the cat and went to seek Dougs assistance and dogs to find the cat and end the animals suffering.
I have seen numerous cougars in the wild..non was I ever hunting..
best way to harvest a cougar..guide outfitter in GREAT area with proven track record of success
did I mention SKINNER CREEK OUTFITTERS ?
without those tremendous advantages..hmmmmm
drive those back roads looking for fresh tracks in the snow...fresh large tracks..then go for a long hike while packing a tag and rifle...
calling doesn't ensure a cat is even in the same postal code
finding fresh tracks tells you one WAS in that spot ..smoking hot large track..= BIG cat fairly recently..
time effort best use of your time your effort...guided..
my .02
Srupp

TheObserver
11-25-2022, 07:02 PM
hmmm one of my best friends is PRIMO mountain lion..lynx.. guide/outfitter who runs a really class act in the valleys that the #1 cougar was harvested from...with hounds..
heard of one guy who decided to hunt cougar without hounds.
He did what I would have done..he cruised the back roads looking for BIG tracks that were fresh..fresh fresh then parked the truck and hiked in after the cat...he did this numerous times until he actually found the cat...and proceded to wound the cat and went to seek Dougs assistance and dogs to find the cat and end the animals suffering.
I have seen numerous cougars in the wild..non was I ever hunting..
best way to harvest a cougar..guide outfitter in GREAT area with proven track record of success
did I mention SKINNER CREEK OUTFITTERS ?
without those tremendous advantages..hmmmmm
drive those back roads looking for fresh tracks in the snow...fresh large tracks..then go for a long hike while packing a tag and rifle...
calling doesn't ensure a cat is even in the same postal code
finding fresh tracks tells you one WAS in that spot ..smoking hot large track..= BIG cat fairly recently..
time effort best use of your time your effort...guided..
my .02
Srupp

No money for guide, young guy changing careers soon in the new year. I'm sure experienced guide with hounds is the best way though!

There is one going through one of my Blacktail areas right now and trying to see a way I could take him on my own. I know it's a long shot.

srupp
11-25-2022, 07:34 PM
hmm I hear you...find the fresh tracks in snow...trail the cat..
calling I think is a really long shot IMO..however what an acomplishment...
knowing one is in the area is a hell of a good start...they are entering the wintering deer areas.
Best of luck..straight shooting
cheers
Steven

Walking Buffalo
11-25-2022, 07:50 PM
You know where one is hanging out.
Go very soon after a snow and find the tracks.
Find a good spot nearby and use the e-caller.

I treed one once by running after it. But that one crossed the road in front of me into a small patch of trees.
And he/she was young. Lol....

Had another cat cross in front of the truck earlier that year.
BIG bugger, bigger than me.
A known horse killer.
I didn't chase him. :)

swampthing
11-25-2022, 07:57 PM
I knew a guy who chased cats on foot. He would move on fresh sign and bark like a dog while running. I dont know if he ever caught up to one. I too will be out looking to track down a cat myself. I am pretty old so I dont expect to actually catch up to one but it will be fun trying!

dracb
11-25-2022, 08:14 PM
Virtually every year there is one or maybe two hunters that bring a cougar in here with a common story. i.e." I was sitting a stump (log, rock, atv seat and etc) minding my own business playing with my can call (cow/calf elk call, squalling rabbit coyote call or ?) when this cougar stuck its head out of the bushes or walked up behind me or ???? and I shot it".

Callers are more successful at attracting big cats than one might expect. Finding fresh cat tracks in fresh fallen snow before calling is a successful ploy for harvesting bobs and Lynx. Big Boar related hunting with a guide that used this technique to get Dave a Lynx in short order. It would probably also eventually get a houndless hunter a cougar with enough tries. My experience with the method has not yielded a cougar rug but twice I have found where a cougar followed my back trail until it could watch me calling. The cats then left without me even knowing they were there until I found their tracks on top of mine.

They do come when called if you can first get close enough for them to hear you. The group I used to hunt with in Arizona was successful in calling in a couple cougars while coyote calling, but then they also called in an ostrich (?) on one of the group hunts.

horshur
11-25-2022, 08:55 PM
A dog that will chase a cat can tree one. Just sayin. Get a game dog close following a snow track. You do not need a track dog . Biggest cougar in BC caught with border collies.

Dannybuoy
11-25-2022, 11:29 PM
A dog that will chase a cat can tree one. Just sayin. Get a game dog close following a snow track. You do not need a track dog . Biggest cougar in BC caught with border collies.
Yeah but many a solo dog chasing a cat ended up cat food . I have known alot of cougar hunters (with dogs) but none with only one dog .
I don't know if a human on foot could tree a cougar ? I would think calling would be the best option . Not counting when I was with a friend and his hounds I have only run into cougar 3 times and only one that I could have shot as it was on a kill .

TheObserver
11-25-2022, 11:50 PM
I've started researching it a bit and calling, so i'll see what sounds like the best way to go about it and maybe try it out in the next while here. I thought of a decoy with scent but nothing more than an idea at this point.

I heard waiting over a fresh kill is good but what are the chances of finding one.... pretty low. They intentionally drag it to cover to make it hard for ravens to find I believe. Though ravens were on the one I just found but it wasn't that fresh I think the cat was done with it.

Question when do they mate anyone know?

Treed
11-26-2022, 01:23 AM
I don’t want shoot a cougar but I would pay to tree a cat. Is there a place for that?

LBM
11-26-2022, 06:39 AM
I've started researching it a bit and calling, so i'll see what sounds like the best way to go about it and maybe try it out in the next while here. I thought of a decoy with scent but nothing more than an idea at this point.

I heard waiting over a fresh kill is good but what are the chances of finding one.... pretty low. They intentionally drag it to cover to make it hard for ravens to find I believe. Though ravens were on the one I just found but it wasn't that fresh I think the cat was done with it.

Question when do they mate anyone know?

They will mate at any time of year, so can have kittens at any time of year. So before you think you should run out and buy a tag to shoot one
you should learn about them first and how to identify them. Just because there alone doesnt mean they dont have kittens, the females can leave
there kittens for a day or 2 well out hunting.

604ksmith
11-26-2022, 07:29 AM
I knew a guy who chased cats on foot. He would move on fresh sign and bark like a dog while running. I dont know if he ever caught up to one. I too will be out looking to track down a cat myself. I am pretty old so I dont expect to actually catch up to one but it will be fun trying!

You'll be finding one this year young man!

srthomas75
11-26-2022, 09:27 AM
I don’t want shoot a cougar but I would pay to tree a cat. Is there a place for that?

Where are you located? I met a guy recently [ brother of my friends funeral that I was at ] that is an avid cougar hunter. He was very knowledgable on them and sounded like he's spent quite a bit of time devoted to the subject. I think that most of the time they would get the cat treed for the clients photos etc... He is in Grand Prairie alberta. [ I don't know what costs are involved though ]

Pigfarmer
11-26-2022, 09:32 AM
Yeah, you can walk them down on fresh tracks, they are the apex predator so they don’t assume they will be followed. They don’t really travel that far in a day either, so if you can find fresh tracks you have a chance.

Ron.C
11-26-2022, 09:36 AM
OP,

You want to cat hunt without dogs, just follow me around. The *******s seem to love me for some reason (friends refer to me as a predator magnet). :roll:

Seriously, An old timer once told me when you are seeing lots of cougar sign, you are in good deer country.

I,ve accidentally called in 3 cats (by called in I mean watched them stalk in). One with a bear buster call hunting spring bear, one with a deer talker call hunting island blacktail in Nov, one cow/calf calling archery elk while set up on a decoy (watched a very large cat stalk in).
I saw 2 last Dec ( 2 cats together probably young siblings) last week of deer season about 15 minutes and 300 meters away after I had deer called. Wouldnt say I called them in but they were curious for sure.

Ive seen several more by chance in my travels. Ive done a pile of game calling over the years and Im sure more than this came looking but I never saw them. So I think calling could work for cougar, but very low odds way to hunt them

TyTy
11-26-2022, 10:56 AM
For starters make sure you purchase a cat tag April 1st every year. The cat season in region 2 is open 9 months/year.

I picked up an e-caller last year and have kept the hide from a local deer which i intend to hang near some wintering grounds and make a stand on that.

MichelD
11-26-2022, 12:39 PM
I have probably incidentally seen more than most people have, but have never had a thought to shoot one.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-26-2022, 01:17 PM
Anything is possible . get a tag .. thats it . make sure its a Lone Cat learn to read a track . Look for a Big track . long stride . there are more cats out there than you know

LBM
11-26-2022, 02:56 PM

Are you meaning you just want to tag along on a chase.

ACB
11-26-2022, 05:43 PM
Catch and release?

TheObserver
11-26-2022, 08:09 PM
Here he is spookin the Deer. He looks pretty wide, very limited visibility of him though

https://i.imgur.com/yLLoaeT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/L5Jh7Rs.jpg

TheObserver
11-26-2022, 08:10 PM
I would of most likely been right off of that trail in an ambush that morning that time had I not been at another Blacktail spot that day and the next

walks with deer
11-26-2022, 11:28 PM
Couple ways to get a cougar with hounds.. watch for ravens,crows,eagle and find a fresh kill.. drive tell you cut fresh tracks put on pack and get after him long process.drink beer blair music and cover ground in truck tell you find one. All of these methods tale time and energy and i have succefully done all three above. Gou can also help with farmers having issues and use a caller.. if theres a cat in your spot he probably wont leave until he almost wipes out your pocket.. get on him....

TheObserver
11-26-2022, 11:55 PM
if theres a cat in your spot he probably wont leave until he almost wipes out your pocket.. get on him....

Ffs this is what i'm thinking..... starting to research this intensely and add on to advice here. Going to give it all I got

walks with deer
11-27-2022, 12:00 AM
Ya if the pockets good they will comebback but it wont be quick. Might be 5 years of healthy fawns..with whitetails when the cat comes the deer leave then come back.. i have seen with mule deer they smash the population.

Samuel
11-27-2022, 09:37 PM
Ffs this is what i'm thinking..... starting to research this intensely and add on to advice here. Going to give it all I got

Good luck man. One day I'd like to get a couple dogs trained up, until then I just keep a tag on me in case I get lucky and run into one.

breakaction
11-28-2022, 07:59 PM

Good on you for diving into it. I am looking to do the same this winter. Was out for the last weekend of rifle whitetail bucks and it had snowed overnight, but cleared in the morning. Nothing but large fresh cougar tracks at a couple of the usual spots… Ended up circling back later and found a fresh cow elk kill, out in the open. Must have happened just that morning.

TheObserver
11-28-2022, 10:03 PM
Good on you for diving into it. I am looking to do the same this winter. Was out for the last weekend of rifle whitetail bucks and it had snowed overnight, but cleared in the morning. Nothing but large fresh cougar tracks at a couple of the usual spots… Ended up circling back later and found a fresh cow elk kill, out in the open. Must have happened just that morning.

Have started researching tonight, behaviour traits/habits and general information on them. As well as the best way to go about it, have been seeing mating calls actually being a not bad way, which I never thought of. Also areas/geography that they apparently prefer Hunting in.

This area already has a lot of Bear and Coyote that seem to get a lot! Of the fawns.

Hope all the best, and that you connect on one!

Camp Cook
12-03-2022, 12:01 AM
I have caught a few on my local trail cameras when I used to put them out - in the same area my buddy had one run across the logging road and another stalk him he saw it when it was within 20 yards he was in the middle of a logging cut.

If I remember right a few years ago Gatehouse and a buddy of his called one in near Pemberton.

I always have a tag = I never see them but I am wanting to thin the local herd to save a few deer.

I have a Foxpro FX3 E-caller that I put cougar in heat and cougar kittens sounds on.

I'm kind of itching to get out after predators do some calling soon kind of tired of the slow blacktail season...

blacklab
12-03-2022, 06:57 AM
Find a track, find a fresh kill, and sit on it. If the kill is covered and has meat left it will come back.
Be there at daylight and an hour or two before sundown.
I've killed a bunch of cats, most with dogs some this way and trapped some.

LBM
12-03-2022, 12:36 PM
Find a track, find a fresh kill, and sit on it. If the kill is covered and has meat left it will come back.

Didnt think there was a trapping season for them in B.C.

blacklab
12-06-2022, 07:11 AM
I used to get payed to do this stuff.

TheObserver
12-13-2022, 05:28 PM

Fresh snow coming this weekend going to do a ton of hiking and try and cut tracks

TheObserver
12-13-2022, 05:30 PM
Blacktails close on the 15th and i'm going to start this weekend focusing on this Cougar thing and get this cat, also know of 2 other areas with them for sure now.

Does anybody know where I can get an E call in the lower wasteland/Fraser Valley?

And what brand of E calls are the best? Or do you guys just play a recording off a bluetooth or oher speaker?

Camp Cook
12-24-2022, 11:11 AM
I do not recommend heading out until the roads get better no cougar is worth the risk...

We have 10" - 12" snow with at least 1" of ice on top and its raining hard.

My road is not plowed and it probably won't get plowed until I go out and do it myself at least I have a tractor that I can clear the road with.

I have two older Foxpro FX3 callers but I've already promised one to a buddy to take up to their ranch in Lytton to do some coyote calling over the holidays with I'm invited to go this next week but I'll probably not risk that trip now.

dracb
12-24-2022, 12:43 PM
Blacktails close on the 15th and i'm going to start this weekend focusing on this Cougar thing and get this cat, also know of 2 other areas with them for sure now.

Does anybody know where I can get an E call in the lower wasteland/Fraser Valley?

And what brand of E calls are the best? Or do you guys just play a recording off a bluetooth or oher speaker?
Cabelas has a good selection

TheObserver
12-24-2022, 03:40 PM
First day just focusing on the Lion was yesterday, didn't end up finding any tracks from the night before/that morning. Didn't call just tried to find tracks.

Didn't wear snowshoes and with that 1/2"-1" of ice ontop man what a leg workout!

Won't be able to get an e caller this year don't have the money, rabbit and doe/fawn will have to work for now

BCHunterTV
12-26-2022, 07:11 PM
bait pile with a cell camera... i have a lion all day on my bait today

BCHunterTV
01-03-2023, 09:42 PM
FYI... beavers are key

I have lions on my bait several times a day

RiverOtter
01-03-2023, 10:08 PM
Beaver meat is like magic...

TheObserver
01-04-2023, 06:52 AM
FYI... beavers are key

I have lions on my bait several times a day

Where do you guys get Beaver meat, trapping or can you purchase it for bait? Thanks btw

RiverOtter
01-04-2023, 09:09 AM
Trapping....

BCHunterTV
01-04-2023, 02:22 PM
I'd post pics but not sure how off my phone.

The spot has a female and 2 kittens that are old enough to be leaving soon.

Plus a male that generally comes an hour after they feed. His names kinky. Call him that for his broken tail

If someone can post them I'll email them the pics

BCHunterTV
01-04-2023, 02:53 PM
see if this works

BCHunterTV
01-04-2023, 02:54 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8928&stc=1

BCHunterTV
01-04-2023, 02:59 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/99ad6727-c884-47a4-8e67-883b54c23244.jpg

browningboy
01-04-2023, 03:57 PM
Would have to say to hunt a lion without hounds would be extremely tough, one would have to be very savvy and know his shiet!

BCHunterTV
01-04-2023, 04:24 PM
I was on the Tom for 3 days... deer hunters driving the roads kept him coming at night. New Years day was no traffic. ... he was on the bait and I was there at 250 yards waiting for the fog to lift! Lol it didn't... camera showed me he was there for 2 hours .
Next day 2 guys were 300 yards from the bait cutting firewood.

Next year I'll bait the same area... but deeper into the mtn with a blind looking down onto the station.

RiverOtter
01-04-2023, 05:43 PM
One advantage you can use with cats, but not canines, is tying the bait down. Cats are very tolerant of 'modifications', wolves and coyotes are not. Will help your bait go further.

BCHunterTV
01-04-2023, 09:15 PM
My other stations the beavers tails are nailed to the tree.

This one was end of the day... just dump and bounce.

I'm going to leave more bait and position the blind better soon

RiverOtter
01-04-2023, 10:47 PM
My post wasn't directed at you, BCH TV, as I'm sure you're well versed in bait piles. :)
It was more geared towards shortening the learning curve of those considering making their first attempts.

It's been a few years since I've set a trap/snare, but I still remember a few techniques that produced furs. Lol.

walks with deer
01-07-2023, 12:44 PM
One advantage you can use with cats, but not canines, is tying the bait down. Cats are very tolerant of 'modifications', wolves and coyotes are not. Will help your bait go further.

This is true...

When cougars kill livestock i put a cable around its neck so they cant drag to feed where i will not get a shot. Its normally not very long tell there back i have even moved dead sheep over 150yds feom where the cat killed it so i could sit and watch.. most cats will come in ans go out the same way i have found sitting on there exit trail better than sitting on the bait. Best trick to getting a cat is knowing hes in the area... bobcat in my opinion is the easiest thing to bait and kill..

BCHunterTV
01-07-2023, 07:46 PM
Dropped a lion today off the bait. I didn't think they'd show after being there adding 4 fresh beavers.

This is true...

When cougars kill livestock i put a cable around its neck so they cant drag to feed where i will not get a shot. Its normally not very long tell there back i have even moved dead sheep over 150yds feom where the cat killed it so i could sit and watch.. most cats will come in ans go out the same way i have found sitting on there exit trail better than sitting on the bait. Best trick to getting a cat is knowing hes in the area... bobcat in my opinion is the easiest thing to bait and kill..

LBM
01-07-2023, 09:26 PM
Dropped a lion today off the bait. I didn't think they'd show after being there adding 4 fresh beavers.
which one you shoot.

mod7rem
01-08-2023, 11:24 PM
Here’s some good videos.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17977444/mtn-lion-hunt-videos-no-dogs#Post17977444

Terrain maybe not comparable for most of us here in BC, but very interesting. It looks like he stays on the call for a long time, but has lots of area to glass and watch for approaching lions.

BCHunterTV
01-09-2023, 09:06 AM
A new Cat that showed up, 93 inch Tom
Not huge but certainly an accomplishment getting a lion with no hounds

which one you shoot.

high horse Hal
01-09-2023, 09:15 AM
It's been a few years since I've set a trap/snare, but I still remember a few techniques that produced furs. Lol.You post up good info, I thought you were still out slaying cats and dogs as well as beaver
Are there wolves around The Ville?

RiverOtter
01-09-2023, 09:27 AM
There's wolves everywhere these days...and grizzlies it seems too.

TheObserver
01-09-2023, 10:29 AM
A new Cat that showed up, 93 inch Tom
Not huge but certainly an accomplishment getting a lion with no hounds

Congrats! When you got time should post a story would be awesome to see

TheObserver
01-09-2023, 10:30 AM
This has turned into a good thread with lots of useful info thanks to everyone who posted

dracb
01-17-2023, 03:03 PM
I saw an old cougar yesterday that was taken by a fellow who spent 40 days last year trailing cougars in the snow. He finds a fresh track and starts following it. Reportedly he followed a number of females and juveniles in addition to the larger males. He determined age and sex of the cougar he was tracking by the width of plantar pads. I do not have an indication of how many days he followed what he considered fair game but in 40 days he only saw the one cougar. He was able to slip within 20 meters of it before it woke up.

Imdone
01-17-2023, 03:05 PM
Great to see guys taking cougars without hounds.
Hats off to them