PDA

View Full Version : Binocular Comparison

griffincarruthers
11-22-2022, 10:00 PM
Looking for input from people who have experience with either the Leupold BX-1 binoculars and vortex diamondbacks. Dont need to be told to buy only the big 3. Because I have. Looking to buy as a Christmas gift for someone who’s just getting started in hunting and I’m not wanting to break the bank on them. If they decide in a couple years they love it then they can buy there own higher quality stuff. Any other recommendations in that $300 to $400 range are welcome. Thanks.

RiverOtter
11-22-2022, 10:11 PM
In your price range, I'd likely add Nikon to your search.

stoneramhunter
11-22-2022, 10:24 PM
Check out Carson binoculars 10X42 they have a website. i have swarovski but used my sons Carson binocs on this years sheep hunt and they were amazing. You can get them for a very reasonable price on the low end of your budget. worth every penny and more.

KBC
11-22-2022, 11:21 PM
I have Nikon Monarch5 10x42. Way better than the Diamondbacks and go on sale fairly often for about $400.
Actually here they are for $418 with a harness; https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/72531/nikon_monarch_m5_10x42_binoculars_nikon_binocular_ harness_ii_with_quick_release_feature?categoryId=1 284&sku=PKG005392

Edit to add; I bought them when I already owned a pair of Diamond backs in 8x42 and the Nikons were way better comparing them side by side.

Keta1969
11-22-2022, 11:25 PM
I have both Leica 10x and Vortex Vipers in 8x. The vortex are lighter and easier to hold steady. The glass is very good not quite Leica but very good. I read an article on a birder's website and bought them used but as new. They were up against all the alpha glass and came in second. Day hiking and blacktail hunting they are what I pack. IMO over the last few years the actual glass in Bino's and scopes has become much closer in quality(probably because of automation). The quality of the internals is what separates the best now. Not sure the Vortex will ever have the longevity of my Leica's(at least 30 years old) but so far so good. One suggestion I would make for a new hunter is that 8x's are a good option and a little less money.

Steeleco
11-23-2022, 06:15 AM
Firstly AVOID Nikon like the plague. I'm a life long Monarch owner and love them even still. But last fall one of the screw up eye covers broke so I asked for warranty help. NO, HARD NO they only offered me a discount on new pair. So much for 25yr warranty. I fixed them with gorilla glue and o rings!! They are now my truck binos.

This started me on a hunt for new ones. Long story short I got Carson 3D/HD 10x42 and they are unreal. I used one of those price checking apps for Amazon and once the deal was good I got them to the door for $350 They are much better than anything I looked through as 2 to 3 times the price,

If you got the newb a set of these they may never need to upgrade?

digger dogger
11-23-2022, 06:19 AM
I’m sending in my 20+ yr old Swarovski EL’s for warranty work.
Will let you know how that goes.

sako79
11-23-2022, 07:42 AM
Look at Kowa. Excellent glass for the price

THE SWEDE
11-23-2022, 08:44 AM
Meopta Optika…

griffincarruthers
11-23-2022, 09:05 AM

Good luck. I use a set of 20year old Swaro SLC’s. Bought them used off a guy who had them since brand new. He sent them back to Swaro to get cleaned up before selling. From what I understand is they completely replaced all the lenses with their new SLC lenses/coatings free of charge. They’re a bit heavier than the newer binoculars but every bit as good quality. Pretty happy with them

griffincarruthers
11-23-2022, 09:06 AM
Firstly AVOID Nikon like the plague. I'm a life long Monarch owner and love them even still. But last fall one of the screw up eye covers broke so I asked for warranty help. NO, HARD NO they only offered me a discount on new pair. So much for 25yr warranty. I fixed them with gorilla glue and o rings!! They are now my truck binos.

This started me on a hunt for new ones. Long story short I got Carson 3D/HD 10x42 and they are unreal. I used one of those price checking apps for Amazon and once the deal was good I got them to the door for $350 They are much better than anything I looked through as 2 to 3 times the price,

Thanks never heard of these guys I’ll have to check it out

sako79
11-23-2022, 10:15 AM

I sent my EL10 by 32 in Saying that they were blurry. And to clean them the blurry was scratched lenses. I sent them in and received them back in 4 weeks with brand new lenses and cleaned and they did not charge me a dime. Way better service than vortex. And I didn't have to pay for shipping there or back

REMINGTON JIM
11-23-2022, 10:25 AM
I have Minox and Leica - the Leica are WORLD class but expensive - the Minox 10-42 are excellent for the price ! JMO RJ

BRvalley
11-23-2022, 10:25 AM
I personally think Vortex products in that price range is a sure way to experience their amazing customer service

in that price range I would also suggest the bushnell engage, I have the older elite versions of these, good glass and have been pretty impressed with them, I actually bought these when my vortex binos were being warrantied for the second time lol.....and at their price I don't feel guilty about being rough with

KBC
11-23-2022, 11:50 AM
Q: Hey guys, what binos are decent in the $300-$400 range to buy as a gift?

A: You should buy top-end Swaros.

Ferenc
11-23-2022, 12:23 PM
Have a look at the “ Maven “ brand .... had a look through a friends and was surprised how nice they are .... I use both the Zeiss Classics in 8x30 / 10x40 ... and did like this Maven

Fella
11-23-2022, 01:18 PM
I’ve owned BX2 Acadias and Diamondback HD’s, the diamondbacks are lighter, more compact and clearer. Vortex does have a bad rap for things crapping out, but from what I’ve seen that tends to happen more with their lower end scopes than their binos. If you’re buying them just to get a new Hunter out in the field then I’d say go with the diamondbacks. They have great resale value and if they break you get a new pair for free. Invest in the big stuff later on.

stoneramhunter
11-23-2022, 05:11 PM

Those are the same ones my son has the carson 10x42 they are absolutley fantastic. i highly reccomend

Greenthumbed
12-02-2022, 07:08 AM
I have Nikon Monarch5 10x42. Way better than the Diamondbacks and go on sale fairly often for about $400.
Actually here they are for $418 with a harness; https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/72531/nikon_monarch_m5_10x42_binoculars_nikon_binocular_ harness_ii_with_quick_release_feature?categoryId=1 284&sku=PKG005392

Edit to add; I bought them when I already owned a pair of Diamond backs in 8x42 and the Nikons were way better comparing them side by side.
I agree with KBC. The Monarch 5s are very good binos for the money. I had a set of Diamondbacks and thought I’d buy the wife a pair of binos for birdwatching. I picked up the Monarch 5s and was really impressed with them. So impressed I bought a pair of Monarch 7s for myself.

250 sav
12-02-2022, 11:19 PM
I like my 10x42 nikon monarch 5. Prefer them to sons Vortex.

IslandWanderer
12-03-2022, 12:52 AM
In that price range I'd recommend the Nikon Monarch 5. My son uses them and they're almost as good as my Razors in my opinion.

skidderman
12-09-2022, 02:00 PM
I'm a leupold guy through & through. Buddy has a set of leupold binoculars. Not sure of model but are not the low end. Can't focus them for love nor money. I told him to send them away. He said he left them in his son's truck & hopes he never sees them again. Ouch

Ubertuber
12-10-2022, 01:15 PM
Q: Hey guys, what binos are decent in the $300-$400 range to buy as a gift?

A: You should buy top-end Swaros.
Haha, nailed it, they always show up in threads asking about inexpensive binos.

I bought one of my daughters a Nikon Monarchs a bit ago, they seem to be good glass for the price.