PDA

View Full Version : Core Principles on Hunter Safety

Piperdown
11-21-2022, 12:29 PM
Hello to all the fine members here on HBC, yes it is I, Piperdown. I have been away for a few years after losing my wife to cancer and well to be honest there seemed to be no more hunting stories being posted on here, just nutbar conspiracy theories and talk about the Orange guy.

So please be gentle on the Piper for his first thread back....

Well this hunting season up at the cabin in 6-04 I came very close to being shot. I will try and tell the situation as best I can and keep it short. So I had 2 friends along for my Leh and we went to an area with some decent elevation to spot from. We split up and went on our ways.

I get a call from my one buddy, I have a shooter, great, I am about 4 km away but hike over. As I draw near he states the bulls have gone up and over between 2 hills and are now out of sight. Just then I hear a side by side coming up, so I stop on the little spur road I am on before venturing towards the moose. I wait and wave my shooting sticks at the atv, and they wave back so now they know I am going into this small area. I also have a blaze orange hat on, never hunt without one on.

As I hike up and over a small hill, buddy radios the moose have come back down and are in full view, I say no problem, jump down onto a bench in front of me. Find the bigger bull, get a good solid rest on a tree but am waiting for him to just turn a little more broadside. Bull is starting to turn, safety off and I hear the atv coming back, safety back on. The atv comes to a stop directly down from me so there is no way I have a shooting lane, I know what is going to happen so hug the tree I am behind, bang flop, bull down.

Now I am 75 yards directly behind the bull right in the line of fire, I wait a minute or two and then yell as I don't need the jacked up hunter letting fly with another shot. Well lets just say the conversation didn't go well. From the time the atv saw me and from when they came back was 9 minutes, he knew I was in there as there is only one way in or out. The hunter tried to dismiss it, said he was gone 30 minutes, as stated it was nine minutes confirmed by text messages sent, how far can one go in 9 minutes. I was less than 100 yards from where he had seen me.

Now hopefully things have changed on this site and I don't get racked over the coals but people you need to hunt safely and ethically, I didn't care about the moose, I care about living. I had weeks left on my leh and tipped over my biggest to date, 19 points. In parting with the hunter I suggested he retake his core course with emphasis on the safety part when hunting.

If this hunter is on this site I hope you learnt something, I think you did because as I went to hike to the truck you were apologizing profusely to my friend, but really that was a little to late, you could have shot me or someone else. Hunt safely and there will always be another chance at an animal, don't lose site of the situation you find yourself in when hunting.

RugDoctor
11-21-2022, 01:38 PM
“Just nut bar conspiracy theories”

followed by

“please be gentle on the Piper”

No. you’re a tool.

IronNoggin
11-21-2022, 02:06 PM
No. you’re a tool.

With that type of reaction it is quite easy to see just who the Tool here is.

Lucky you did not take a stray Piper!
A$$hole move on their part IMO.

But happy you survived and managed to collect your moose later on.
Should run that tale up soon Buddy!

Cheers & Welcome Back!
Nogf

Iron Glove
11-21-2022, 02:15 PM
Welcome back Pipes, your stories and experience have been missed.
Pretty scary situation you were in, I've heard tales of people taking combined PAL / CORE Classes that last a total of 6 hours, glad you weren't injured or worse.

TheObserver
11-21-2022, 02:24 PM
A lot of idiots and scum out there never expect people to know or do the right thing!

Hate to be that guy, but is it not illegal to track down/hunt an animal with 2 way communication like phones and radios?

IronNoggin
11-21-2022, 02:40 PM
Hate to be that guy, but is it not illegal to track down/hunt an animal with 2 way communication like phones and radios?

So... don't be that guy.
Pages 14 & 15 of the synopsis clearly spell out what is not allowed when hunting big game.
Further defined in the Wildlife Act.

And in this case, "That Guy" is 100% in error...

Just saying...

Nog

Piperdown
11-21-2022, 02:41 PM
Well thank you guys for the well wishes, Rug Doctor is on ignore for a reason. Observer, years ago there was a section in the regs that outlawed radio or cell communication, but it is now legal, also a very valuable safety tool if ever in trouble. I do also carry an Inreach with me as I usually hunt solo as I was when I got my moose, not getting any smarter as I get older it seems...lol.

The sole reason for my thread was to hopefully save someone from having the same situation or hopefully stopping someone from getting hurt.

I thought awhile about posting a situation that happened to a good friend of mine this year, but I am going to post up as another learning situation. He had his foot blown off by a fellow hunter, loaded gun in the truck and obviously safety was off, an extremely sad and bad situation, 2 lives completed shattered. My thoughts and prayers are with him and I hope he recovers to the best he can.

Imdone
11-21-2022, 02:46 PM
“Just nut bar conspiracy theories”

followed by

“please be gentle on the Piper”

No. you’re a tool.

I haven't even read the rest of this thread yet from beyond the RugDocters post but this is exactly why this HBC site is not what it used to be.
Best look in the mirror there RD, for who's a tool.
It's your type that have ruined this site.

Thanks PD for trying to make this a learning or teaching moment.
Glad your safe .
Tools like RD and friends, the circles not that big really the bunch of them should be permanently banned .
Stay safe out there

Imdone
11-21-2022, 02:50 PM
A lot of idiots and scum out there never expect people to know or do the right thing!

No it is not.
Years ago there were rules, unenforceable at best.
Cels, Inreach, Spot, Satalite phone....... Why would it be any different.
Unenforceable

Gr8 white hunter
11-21-2022, 03:12 PM

Then don't be that guy, who really cares.

j270wsm
11-21-2022, 04:37 PM
First off I’m glad your ok, that’s a scary situation that I hope I never experience.

Devils advocate……

you said “ that you had lined up on the bull, rifle loaded, safety off waiting for the bull to turn broad side “ but put the safety back on when hearing the sxs coming back….. so you were intentionally going to shoot towards a road but your complaining that a guy on the road shot into a cutblock or treed area?? Yes they knew that you had gone into the area and should have spent a bit more time with Bino’s making sure that there was nothing in the line of fire behind the moose. But 9min could have meant that you were 3-400yds away in any direction.

RugDoctor
11-21-2022, 04:40 PM
Aww you guys are just a bunch of conspiracy nuts.

Look at me, look at me. I’m trying to keep everyone safe with my story……right after saying something derogatory about a bunch of people. Be sure to get your little dig in…..If that stupid comment hadn’t been made, I wouldn’t have responded….but nooooooo……get your dig in and expect everyone to just roll over.

Pussies.

Piperdown
11-21-2022, 05:00 PM
First off I’m glad your ok, that’s a scary situation that I hope I never experience.

Devils advocate……

you said “ that you had lined up on the bull, rifle loaded, safety off waiting for the bull to turn broad side “ but put the safety back on when hearing the sxs coming back….. so you were intentionally going to shoot towards a road but your complaining that a guy on the road shot into a cutblock or treed area?? Yes they knew that you had gone into the area and should have spent a bit more time with Bino’s making sure that there was nothing in the line of fire behind the moose. But 9min could have meant that you were 3-400yds away in any direction.

Good point, I was at a much higher elevation and shooting directly down, rd being probably 150 yards past the said bull and at a higher elevation than the bull below me, was a skidder trail and not per say a rd. I had a clear view of the surrounding area, i knew no one was in the area other than the sxs, gives pause for thought though.

I don't know how you stalk/still hunt but i do not cover 3-400 yards in 9 minutes and I am sure his bullet would easily travel the 3-400 yards as he was shooting directly uphill from his sxs, but thanks for pointing this out, one can always learn. Did I shoot no, could I have yes.

Apparently there seems to be a member on here who is bullet proof and safety is highly overrated, just trying to bring attention to what could have been a bad outcome, positive comments are always welcome, the ones from the peanut gallery, well they serve no purpose. Again thank you for your input

Mulehahn
11-21-2022, 05:21 PM
Welcome back and glad you are safe. What makes me wonder is why he came back so soon. He knew you were in the immediate area, probably suspected you were stalking an animal (if you didn't let it slip without realizing)... Makes me wonder if he was hoping you would push the animal past best case scenario. Worst case is he was trying to scoop the animal knowing you were there. Doesn't matter though. Never shoot intos slash you highly suspect someone be is in; even a half an hour later the person probably isn't too far.

Piperdown
11-21-2022, 05:51 PM
Aww you guys are just a bunch of conspiracy nuts.

Look at me, look at me. I’m trying to keep everyone safe with my story……right after saying something derogatory about a bunch of people. Be sure to get your little dig in…..If that stupid comment hadn’t been made, I wouldn’t have responded….but nooooooo……get your dig in and expect everyone to just roll over.

Pussies.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXFLRTH9vUdcywH4nCWsJLHZouCk-zbf5u8IgvvpNx&s

RD says to all look at me

Piperdown
11-21-2022, 05:58 PM
He ran into one of my buddies who was hiking out to where I was, my buddy said there was 3 of us in the area on foot. He stated there were 8 in his party and they had 2 bulls down with 2 other tags to fill and they needed to fill them as 2 moose were not enough. He then said ok I will leave this area to you and turned around, and well you know the rest.

Appreciate the comment, people get jacked when they have an leh or see an animal, I get it. I only came back to this site to post my experience to try and educate people and to keep safe practices at the front. I surely do hope this doesn't turn into a shit show, but I also won't take shit thrown at me by some members, again thanks for your post.

landphil
11-21-2022, 06:08 PM
Were you lining up on a different bull than the one the other guy shot?

high horse Hal
11-21-2022, 09:07 PM
Good story, thanks for telling
Tough to picture your reality, everyone will have a different image

The take away only needs to be 'be careful'

wildcatter
11-21-2022, 09:31 PM
Hello to all the fine members here on HBC, yes it is I, Piperdown. I have been away for a few years after losing my wife to cancer and well to be honest there seemed to be no more hunting stories being posted on here, just nutbar conspiracy theories and talk about the Orange guy.

So please be gentle on the Piper for his first thread back....

Well this hunting season up at the cabin in 6-04 I came very close to being shot. I will try and tell the situation as best I can and keep it short. So I had 2 friends along for my Leh and we went to an area with some decent elevation to spot from. We split up and went on our ways.

I get a call from my one buddy, I have a shooter, great, I am about 4 km away but hike over. As I draw near he states the bulls have gone up and over between 2 hills and are now out of sight. Just then I hear a side by side coming up, so I stop on the little spur road I am on before venturing towards the moose. I wait and wave my shooting sticks at the atv, and they wave back so now they know I am going into this small area. I also have a blaze orange hat on, never hunt without one on.

As I hike up and over a small hill, buddy radios the moose have come back down and are in full view, I say no problem, jump down onto a bench in front of me. Find the bigger bull, get a good solid rest on a tree but am waiting for him to just turn a little more broadside. Bull is starting to turn, safety off and I hear the atv coming back, safety back on. The atv comes to a stop directly down from me so there is no way I have a shooting lane, I know what is going to happen so hug the tree I am behind, bang flop, bull down.

Now I am 75 yards directly behind the bull right in the line of fire, I wait a minute or two and then yell as I don't need the jacked up hunter letting fly with another shot. Well lets just say the conversation didn't go well. From the time the atv saw me and from when they came back was 9 minutes, he knew I was in there as there is only one way in or out. The hunter tried to dismiss it, said he was gone 30 minutes, as stated it was nine minutes confirmed by text messages sent, how far can one go in 9 minutes. I was less than 100 yards from where he had seen me.

Now hopefully things have changed on this site and I don't get racked over the coals but people you need to hunt safely and ethically, I didn't care about the moose, I care about living. I had weeks left on my leh and tipped over my biggest to date, 19 points. In parting with the hunter I suggested he retake his core course with emphasis on the safety part when hunting.

If this hunter is on this site I hope you learnt something, I think you did because as I went to hike to the truck you were apologizing profusely to my friend, but really that was a little to late, you could have shot me or someone else. Hunt safely and there will always be another chance at an animal, don't lose site of the situation you find yourself in when hunting.

Hey Piper, really sorry to hear about your wife.
I'm kind of in the same shoes but still here for a while.

It sucks to have a shitty experience like that, some "hunters" are just plain dicks.

srthomas75
11-21-2022, 09:54 PM
Piperdown: thanks for the post. I see this as a learning opportunity / reminder to others and don't see the need for the negative comments. [those and the non hunting/outdoor politics threads can disappear anytime now]

j270wsm
11-22-2022, 01:48 PM
Good point, I was at a much higher elevation and shooting directly down, rd being probably 150 yards past the said bull and at a higher elevation than the bull below me, was a skidder trail and not per say a rd. I had a clear view of the surrounding area, i knew no one was in the area other than the sxs, gives pause for thought though.

I don't know how you stalk/still hunt but i do not cover 3-400 yards in 9 minutes and I am sure his bullet would easily travel the 3-400 yards as he was shooting directly uphill from his sxs, but thanks for pointing this out, one can always learn. Did I shoot no, could I have yes.

Apparently there seems to be a member on here who is bullet proof and safety is highly overrated, just trying to bring attention to what could have been a bad outcome, positive comments are always welcome, the ones from the peanut gallery, well they serve no purpose. Again thank you for your input

My post wasn’t intended to be negative and I hope that it didn’t come across that way. I just wanted to point out that shooting towards a road isn’t exactly the safest thing to do.
In the scenario you described( friend watched the bulls go over a hill/ridge ), I wouldn’t have been taking a ton of time covering ground to get close to where the bulls were last seen, hence my comment about covering 3-400yds in 9min

IronNoggin
11-22-2022, 02:52 PM
It sucks to have a shitty experience like that, some "hunters" are just plain dicks.

And some wannabe hunters are simply attention seeking Tools. Eh RugDoctor! http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/sHa_sarcasticlol.gif

Imdone
11-22-2022, 03:07 PM
Oops posted on incorrect thread

markt308
11-22-2022, 03:08 PM
Hey welcome back. sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Also sorry you had a scare in the woods.
Can we get you to post a story and pictures of your success? Myself and others are on a mission to get this site back on track in terms of hunting content

BRvalley
11-22-2022, 03:59 PM
75 yards other side of a moose, hugging a tree, presumably some other cover in the way....I don't think the other hunter owes Piper an apology

another lesson could be don't target moose with a road/trail in the backdrop? these are the types of situations that happen when you hunt close to roadways and in crowded areas

wearing a blaze orange hat means what exactly? an orange hat hiding behind a tree isn't very visible...there is probably a reason other jurisdictions have minimum amount of orange written in the regulations

not following the outrage here? but hopefully I am more polite about it than Rug Doctor

Piperdown
11-22-2022, 04:17 PM
My post wasn’t intended to be negative and I hope that it didn’t come across that way. I just wanted to point out that shooting towards a road isn’t exactly the safest thing to do.
In the scenario you described( friend watched the bulls go over a hill/ridge ), I wouldn’t have been taking a ton of time covering ground to get close to where the bulls were last seen, hence my comment about covering 3-400yds in 9min

No offence taken. Well it is hard to put into words exactly the situation, wind was at my back so had to get downwind of the bulls, they were only maybe 75-100 yards and other side of hill. So i got past where I thought they would be, moved up and over and like I stated the bulls came back down so I had to come back to them. I am not a fan of sprinting after an animal as it would take time to recover my breathing. All worked exactly to plan except the sxs coming in.

Also hard to explain on the rd situation but i was shooting directly down at the bulls probably 45 degrees so not shooting directly at the rd

Piperdown
11-22-2022, 04:28 PM
75 yards other side of a moose, hugging a tree, presumably some other cover in the way....I don't think the other hunter owes Piper an apology

another lesson could be don't target moose with a road/trail in the backdrop? these are the types of situations that happen when you hunt close to roadways and in crowded areas

wearing a blaze orange hat means what exactly? an orange hat hiding behind a tree isn't very visible...there is probably a reason other jurisdictions have minimum amount of orange written in the regulations

not following the outrage here? but hopefully I am more polite about it than Rug Doctor

No problem but you were not there and you are assuming many things. No real cover from the shooter, tree I was leaning on was not very big, just a rest and after he bailed I tried to stand directly behind the tree, having time now to think about it I should have just shouted my ass off but then the moose would have probably taken off then who knows if multiple shots would have been fired at a moving target, one will never know. You know the funny thing is the day before when we scouted the area and my buddy went up on the ridge to check it out, all camo on, when we came back to pick him up I said we could not make you out but could see movement so I gave him and extra blaze orange toque i had, after what happened he said it will be his first purchase when he got home after what happened. As you probably know there is zero requirement for wearing orange in that area. Buddy who was at least 200 yards farther behind the shooter could see the hat but the point is mute, the hunter knew I was in there but did not know where and it was a grand total of 9 minutes since he saw me, so I think your points are fairly baseless, just my opinion and no offence meant., oh and by the way they were the first hunters I saw in 7 weeks in the bush so not a road hunter as you insinuate.

Also on a side not when i went to walk back to get my truck, the hunter apologized profusely to my buddy and said he was wrong and made a mistake, so hopefully a lesson learned.

Maybe if you have a situation like this happen to you, you might have a different opinion and thanks for yours. I only posted this up to maybe make people think a little more about being safe out there, not trying to be a hero and it doesn't take much to be more polite than RD.

Piperdown
11-22-2022, 04:33 PM
Hey welcome back. sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Also sorry you had a scare in the woods.
Can we get you to post a story and pictures of your success? Myself and others are on a mission to get this site back on track in terms of hunting content

Thanks M308, I appreciate it and I also enjoyed your hunting story and yes you are right we need more hunting stories as this is what the site used to be and was intended to be. I probably won't post the story as I am getting enough flak on this thread.

Short story, 61, solo, not road hunting and tipped a very beautiful bull down, was another bull of same size and cow too. Got it back to the cabin hung skinned and quartered by 1:30 pm with my blaze orange hat on just in case... :wink: All the best to you

j270wsm
11-22-2022, 05:07 PM
. As you probably know there is zero requirement for wearing orange in that area.

I do agree that specific colours can help make hunters easier to identify but unfortunately, some of us are colour blind and reds/greens/brown and sometimes orange, don’t stand out. When I’m hunting I have adapted to look for shapes not colours and never use my rifle scope to try and identify anything.

Piperdown
11-22-2022, 05:21 PM
I do agree that specific colours can help make hunters easier to identify but unfortunately, some of us are colour blind and reds/greens/brown and sometimes orange, don’t stand out. When I’m hunting I have adapted to look for shapes not colours and never use my rifle scope to try and identify anything.

Well there you guy some more very useful information and thank you very much for that

IslandWanderer
11-22-2022, 05:21 PM
I kind of liked HBC better without you being a regular poster.

Anyways, welcome back I suppose.

BRvalley
11-22-2022, 05:33 PM
Maybe if you have a situation like this happen to you, you might have a different opinion and thanks for yours. I only posted this up to maybe make people think a little more about being safe out there, not trying to be a hero and it doesn't take much to be more polite than RD.

I have indeed been there! I offered if they needed a hand...I scared them when I walked up, they simply could not see me, which I don't fault them for at all, it happens...I am now more cautious when I am hiking and looking at animals in cut blocks, anywhere there is a road or quad trail nearby, these things are easy to happen

we can agree to disagree, I read this simply as you're bitter they shot your moose and now riding your high horse about safety...9 mins makes no difference in my mind, you could be exactly where they left you, or you could be over the ridge by then, they don't know you're still hunting, how are they supposed to know?

maybe buddy apologized cause he knew you were upset with a gun in your hand? sounds like he's trying to diffuse the situation....maybe you made up these extra details since you left those nuggets out in your first post? hard to say eh....glad you got your moose later...glad everybody is safe now! that was a close one!

Piperdown
11-22-2022, 06:56 PM
I have indeed been there! I offered if they needed a hand...I scared them when I walked up, they simply could not see me, which I don't fault them for at all, it happens...I am now more cautious when I am hiking and looking at animals in cut blocks, anywhere there is a road or quad trail nearby, these things are easy to happen

we can agree to disagree, I read this simply as you're bitter they shot your moose and now riding your high horse about safety...9 mins makes no difference in my mind, you could be exactly where they left you, or you could be over the ridge by then, they don't know you're still hunting, how are they supposed to know?

maybe buddy apologized cause he knew you were upset with a gun in your hand? sounds like he's trying to diffuse the situation....maybe you made up these extra details since you left those nuggets out in your first post? hard to say eh....glad you got your moose later...glad everybody is safe now! that was a close one!

Ok last post to you as this was not intended to be a pissing match and apparently you and I have a different view on safety, did you happen to read where a friend got his foot shot off this year, well they are now taking his lower leg, safety is highly over rated apparently.

So your situation, did you have blaze orange on anywhere, just curious. Again you know nothing of the area I was hunting, 9 minutes no big deal, they don't know if I am still hunting, 9 minutes.... before, I waved at them, signaled I am heading in to the area, where the hell did I go, one way in one way out and they did not see me come out, quite simple in my mind, I am still in there.

Not at all bitter about the moose, hell I could take your rational and shot it in front of them but didn't. Buddy apologized to my hunting partner not me, my gun was unloaded when I came out, ooops forgot to write that part in sorry.... just common practice to unload when done hunting

Again I didn't start this thread to be about me, It was about a situation, I suck at typing and don't have great writing skills, so sorry If sometimes I don't articulate all that well but what I tell is the truth. We can agree to disagree and gladly this is my last thread, won't be posting about my moose hunt. Good luck to you.

SSG-man
11-22-2022, 07:53 PM
Welcome back Piper.... even if it's short time.
Nothing's changed on the internet forums.

Some blame politics and off topic but this is how the internet works.
We all read and interpret things differently but I understood what you described.

Islandeer
11-22-2022, 08:58 PM
Key points: Safety trumps Everything
: Old school hunter etiquette requires that you don’t be a dumbass and go into an area you clearly know has hunters in it.

It’s common dog, don’t be a dumbass about safety and this essential bit of hunter etiquette.

TheObserver
11-22-2022, 08:58 PM
Cool so if I wanted to orchestrate a Drive, I could have the driver(s) radio me on which way the Buck or Bull went..... the old man told me it was not aloud years back so I guess they changed it and we just didn't know about it