PDA

View Full Version : Gear for the rainforest of bc

Nailgunslinger
11-29-2007, 10:21 PM
So I hunt in the rain most of the time. I live on the Coast so that goes without saying lol. I am always wet, from snow rain or just the wet salal that I hike through. By the time I get back to my truck I weigh 20 pounds heavier lol. For all the bushwhackers in the rainforest like me, what kind of pants, jackets , boots have you found you keep you dry? I like wool because It keeps me warm, but damn it gets heavy, I think I might try out that new merino wool stuff. Anyway any opinions or experiences,reviews and the like are what I'm looking for. Help is appreciated.:mrgreen:

Orangethunder
11-29-2007, 10:40 PM
The best bet to keep you dry is Gore tex. Getting a truly quiet waterproof product that doesn't get heavy is the trick. I have tried a few that didn't cut it. I think that the Browning Hydrofleece is one of the top choices. Cabelas makes some great products too and with the dollar its a good buy. I guess it depends if you want packable, lightweight, super quiet...

Merino wool is great stuff but it wont keep you any drier. You'll be out lots of money and still wet.

Big7
11-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Helly Hanson makes a light weight rain gear that is 100% water proof and is kinda stretchy. It is forest green with a light poly lining. +/- $90 for a jacket and $80 for pants (bib or waist length). Pioneer makes the same thing (material comes from the same manufacturer) for 1/2 the price (I own both and they are identical).

This stuff is awesome, doesn't restrict movement and isn't "plasticky" if that's a word, so it's pretty quiet. You could always were light fleece over top of it if you are really concerned about noise - I havn't noticed it being an issue.

I use it for work (in the bush) and it's very durable. 100% waterproof is the key - even gortex will leak over time and is too expensive IMO.

steve-r
11-29-2007, 11:16 PM
I've got Cabella's Mt050 guide gear parka and pants.. all gortex, dry breathable, durable, and quiet...works great here on the 'wet' coast.

MattB
11-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Helly Hanson makes a light weight rain gear that is 100% water proof and is kinda stretchy. It is forest green with a light poly lining. +/- $90 for a jacket and $80 for pants (bib or waist length). Pioneer makes the same thing (material comes from the same manufacturer) for 1/2 the price (I own both and they are identical).

This stuff is awesome, doesn't restrict movement and isn't "plasticky" if that's a word, so it's pretty quiet. You could always were light fleece over top of it if you are really concerned about noise - I havn't noticed it being an issue.

I use it for work (in the bush) and it's very durable. 100% waterproof is the key - even gortex will leak over time and is too expensive IMO.

Ive got that same stuff, i ripped it to shreds working in blue river for a week. You gotta take it off once things start to dry up or the rubbery texture on the outside snags on every little branch and causes the material to tear.

Big7
11-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Ive got that same stuff, i ripped it to shreds working in blue river for a week. You gotta take it off once things start to dry up or the rubbery texture on the outside snags on every little branch and causes the material to tear.

Good to know, I've had mine for quite awhile now and haven't had any issues - you must have some tough branches in your neck of the woods!

Wildfoot
11-30-2007, 12:41 AM
for insulation I would go wool or a synthetic like a high pile fleece or a pimaloft type insulation

Wildman
11-30-2007, 07:04 AM

For here on the coast I have to agree with Big7 100%. I work in forestry. I used to be in the bush every day, 10-16 hours a day, rain/snow/sleet/wind/rare sunny day etc..... and it took me a really long time to figure out what to wear that keeps me comfortable and warm. Fleece long johns, Stanfield wool long sleeved undershirt (white wool, I'm not sure what it is called off the top of my head), Fleece colared shirt over that, a 100% wool Stanfield over that and then the Helly Hansen "rubber stretchy type" rain gear (bib pants and hooded jacket, it comes in orange or olive green). Like Big7 said, gortex will leak, specially here on the coast. If it gets dirty it sucks, it sucks period out here, rips easy and its expensive. I don't understand guys who suggest gortex. It's a waste of $$$ if you live on the rugged wet west coast. I guess it would be fine in the interior where they don't have the old growth windfall and salal/huckle berry underbrush. Oh and polypro underwear is good........but it stinks once you sweat in it ands it never seems to wash out.

Nailgunslinger
11-30-2007, 10:42 PM
The best bet to keep you dry is Gore tex. Getting a truly quiet waterproof product that doesn't get heavy is the trick. I have tried a few that didn't cut it. I think that the Browning Hydrofleece is one of the top choices. Cabelas makes some great products too and with the dollar its a good buy. I guess it depends if you want packable, lightweight, super quiet...

Merino wool is great stuff but it wont keep you any drier. You'll be out lots of money and still wet.

lol yea I just meant for underneath, wet but less weight if it does get wet. Any options,opinions and or experiences are all good.

Nailgunslinger
11-30-2007, 10:44 PM
For here on the coast I have to agree with Big7 100%. I work in forestry. I used to be in the bush every day, 10-16 hours a day, rain/snow/sleet/wind/rare sunny day etc..... and it took me a really long time to figure out what to wear that keeps me comfortable and warm. Fleece long johns, Stanfield wool long sleeved undershirt (white wool, I'm not sure what it is called off the top of my head), Fleece colared shirt over that, a 100% wool Stanfield over that and then the Helly Hansen "rubber stretchy type" rain gear (bib pants and hooded jacket, it comes in orange or olive green). Like Big7 said, gortex will leak, specially here on the coast. If it gets dirty it sucks, it sucks period out here, rips easy and its expensive. I don't understand guys who suggest gortex. It's a waste of $$$ if you live on the rugged wet west coast. I guess it would be fine in the interior where they don't have the old growth windfall and salal/huckle berry underbrush. Oh and polypro underwear is good........but it stinks once you sweat in it ands it never seems to wash out.

Hmm yea I used that when I was fishing for black cod , didnt last very long , but always a good option. I could always camo spray it welly style
;-)

Nailgunslinger
11-30-2007, 10:47 PM
So anybody tried any of the gear made especially for hunting, synthetic or otherwise? And how bout boots, I usually to wear just gumboots with insulation but the support is not great.

sealevel
11-30-2007, 11:35 PM
If its not rudder it don`t work !!nothing made for hunting that i know will keep you dry on the wet coast. The best boots IMO are the tall orange boots made by nokia or viking caulked or plane. An there`s plenly of support .And they are the most comfortable boots you can find.

Wildman
12-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Hmm yea I used that when I was fishing for black cod , didnt last very long , but always a good option. I could always camo spray it welly style
;-)

It lasts me at least 6 months. ....thats pounding through the cedar salal forests of the west coast every day......$240 on rain gear a year isn't bad....you must be thinking of the fishing rain gear. The stuff that is supposed to rip when a hook gets caught in it. I'm talking about the light weight thin streachy rubbery stuff.

Wildman
12-01-2007, 06:51 AM
If its not rudder it don`t work !!nothing made for hunting that i know will keep you dry on the wet coast. The best boots IMO are the tall orange boots made by nokia or viking caulked or plane. An there`s plenly of support .And they are the most comfortable boots you can find.

I can't stand those caulks. Don't get me wrong there isn't anything wrong with them. Many guys use them. I just prefer half/halfs rubber bottom and leather tops. Mine are Hoffman's (better than Viberg). For hunting I use rubbers. Browning neoprene with rubber outsides. Awesome in the snow.

boxhitch
12-01-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm talking about the light weight thin streachy rubbery stuff.H-H Impertech. The Alaskans even like it, enough to get forum members to do a group-buy of this great madeincanada product

Nailgunslinger
12-01-2007, 08:41 AM
It lasts me at least 6 months. ....thats pounding through the cedar salal forests of the west coast every day......$240 on rain gear a year isn't bad....you must be thinking of the fishing rain gear. The stuff that is supposed to rip when a hook gets caught in it. I'm talking about the light weight thin streachy rubbery stuff.

Hmm I'll take a look again but it was light and rubbery, but hell thats what rainsuits are to me anyway lol, I'll checker out man.

Brambles
12-01-2007, 11:29 AM
I used the Helly Hasen this year on our fly in hunt up north, worked great, thought for sure it would tear to shreads while packing the caribou through the shintangle spruce and willow but it didn't show any wear. Great stuff and its pretty thin so it packs up small and its light, I recommend it.

brian
12-01-2007, 12:09 PM

One other thing it won't do is absorb odors as much as synthetic materials. I have some that I wear a lot. I also sweat a lot when I am active. The synthetic stuff gets pretty ripe after a while, even after washing it. I find the merino wool just doesn't stink the place up nearly as bad.

Orangethunder
12-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I buy US army surplus gore tex for work and for my fly in trips. I have yet to spend more than $70 on a complete set, BRAND NEW!! The last two pairs of pants I got for around $10 plus shipping. They were at my door for ~25CDN. With our dollar being so strong it would have been even cheaper. Sure it eventually wears out but it breathes awesome and is dry until your caulks get it:roll:. While I haven't spent any time on the coast I have used it in our interior rain forests and it stood the test. After 10 years in forestry I vote it the best, no offence to the HH fans8). Its packable, light and very functionally designed.

Have a look on Ebay and see what you find.

Nailgunslinger
12-01-2007, 11:56 PM
I buy US army surplus gore tex for work and for my fly in trips. I have yet to spend more than $70 on a complete set, BRAND NEW!! The last two pairs of pants I got for around $10 plus shipping. They were at my door for ~25CDN. With our dollar being so strong it would have been even cheaper. Sure it eventually wears out but it breathes awesome and is dry until your caulks get it:roll:. While I haven't spent any time on the coast I have used it in our interior rain forests and it stood the test. After 10 years in forestry I vote it the best, no offence to the HH fans8). Its packable, light and very functionally designed.

Have a look on Ebay and see what you find.

You shop mainly on ebay for your surplus or do you have a good website?

Orangethunder
12-02-2007, 04:01 PM
You shop mainly on ebay for your surplus or do you have a good website?

I usually try and get it off of ebay at auction.

I have gotten some directly from companies but its usually a bit more money.

I was hoping that the war in the middle east would be done not only because I think its a huge mistake but also so the desert stuff would be a bit cheaper.

Schutzen
12-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Misty Mountain makes a sweater like top which is the modern equivelant to the stanfield. Mine is black fleece and fairly liteweight. I think I paid $18.00 for mine. If it should get really wet you just pull it off wring it out good put it back on and your good to go.
Myself I just don't use wool much anymore, fleece is my replacement.