PDA

View Full Version : Seeing many deer?

Norwestalta
11-11-2022, 06:14 AM
We've got about 10" of snow and the temperatures have been near -20 so I figured a guy would be seeing lots of deer but surprisingly very few. In my field I'd typically have any where from a dozen to 2 dozen but this morning in the moon light I only counted 4 white tail and 2 moose. In the fields that normally hold good numbers it appears to be the same.
The elk seem to be about the same. I leave home about 430 and expect to have to chase the elk of the road but nothing. Not even any tracks. You guys seeing lots?

RyoTHC
11-11-2022, 09:31 AM
Interior BC, the deer are everywhere after the snow.

spotted 6 4pts before I harvested one, found groups of does that were 20+ in number.
lots of Dink bucks as well

prpbably about 18” of snow in the deep spots here with nights pushing -20 as well.

white tail are another story, they are held up on the thick along the rivers and I haven’t seen them since the snow flied.

Bugle M In
11-11-2022, 10:55 AM
We've got about 10" of snow and the temperatures have been near -20 so I figured a guy would be seeing lots of deer but surprisingly very few. In my field I'd typically have any where from a dozen to 2 dozen but this morning in the moon light I only counted 4 white tail and 2 moose. In the fields that normally hold good numbers it appears to be the same.
The elk seem to be about the same. I leave home about 430 and expect to have to chase the elk of the road but nothing. Not even any tracks. You guys seeing lots?
You are in Alberta, aren’t you??

Norwestalta
11-11-2022, 11:40 AM
You are in Alberta, aren’t you??

Yes. My grading project is in bc and haven't seen many deer there either. No shortage of moose though.

Bugle M In
11-11-2022, 12:35 PM
All good.
my father in law has a cabin in the Assiniboine river about 45 minutes from white court.
He is there now, so I will ask him when back.
He has a few friends there with lots of ranch/farm acreage that usually have plenty of deer.
Just haven’t asked him how the #’s have been over the past few years.

Norwestalta
11-11-2022, 01:18 PM
All good.
my father in law has a cabin in the Assiniboine river about 45 minutes from white court.
He is there now, so I will ask him when back.
He has a few friends there with lots of ranch/farm acreage that usually have plenty of deer.
Just haven’t asked him how the #’s have been over the past few years.

Just seems weird to me. I think I've only seen maybe 8 whitetails. There's a few mule deer around the dawson creek area but I haven't seen any in the bush. Tracks here and there is about it.

Redthies
11-11-2022, 07:17 PM
Lots of whitetails near me, including the two out front of my house eating chestnuts right now, but none have walked in front of my loaded gun yet. I’m trying to change that however.

Husky7mm
11-11-2022, 07:34 PM

Maybe you got wolves or a cougar hitting them hard in behind your property?

They sure F up my decent spots when they stay too long. The game adjusts. I am dealing with that this year and it sucks. Hoping for revenge any day now!

Norwestalta
11-11-2022, 08:27 PM
Maybe you got wolves or a cougar hitting them hard in behind your property?

They sure F up my decent spots when they stay too long. The game adjusts. I am dealing with that this year and it sucks. Hoping for revenge any day now!

Could be. Looked to be a pack of 6 wolves went thru where I was grading yesterday. Haven't seen a wolf around the ponderosa in years and not much sign on the trapline. Never seen a cougar or sign of one either. One thing I did notice is more black bears this year locally then in the past.

DannyO
11-12-2022, 10:32 AM
I saw two lone does yesterday still hunting for a whitetail.
checked my cam after and captured a fork and horn buck actively chasing a doe but a mature buck cruised right over the same path with no interest. Seems they aren’t in full swing yet in that area sadly despite the large snowfall and cold temps.

GGB
11-12-2022, 11:28 AM
Saw this guy this morning at 163 and 92 in Surrey. Not sure the neighbors would have paid much attention to an extra gun shot in the area but I thought I better not risk it.

https://i.imgur.com/Wzc4nbN.jpg

wideopenthrottle
11-12-2022, 11:57 AM
in my usual spot for wt near rock creek I saw as many mule deer as wt this year...in 12 previous years I only saw 1 md total..this years trip I saw 7 md..I was told/warned md were coming back a couple of years ago so a little extra time and a better view was critical this hunt..missed split second chances 3 times on wt....as we know, most of the time you see the tail on a wt they are already buggering off.. sure enough I saw 2 wt at a spot one evening and in nearly the exact spot 2 md the next morning...first time ever it took 8 days to fill my wt tag...

Imdone
11-12-2022, 04:23 PM
Let's not complain about the amount of MD were seeing. This is a good thing.
The evasive WT is expanding everywhere the MD used to be ......
Let's hope the strong MD #s grow and grow. But I doubt it will ever get to historical #s. Their curiosity gets them killed, plus year round hunting by a Certain group doesn't help.

HarryToolips
11-12-2022, 05:41 PM
in my usual spot for wt near rock creek I saw as many mule deer as wt this year...in 12 previous years I only saw 1 md total..this years trip I saw 7 md..I was told/warned md were coming back a couple of years ago so a little extra time and a better view was critical this hunt..missed split second chances 3 times on wt....as we know, most of the time you see the tail on a wt they are already buggering off.. sure enough I saw 2 wt at a spot one evening and in nearly the exact spot 2 md the next morning...first time ever it took 8 days to fill my wt tag...

I too have a spot that used to only hold WT, and now I regularly see more mulies there than WT...but as mentioned, it is good that MD are rebounding in certain areas, shows one positive result of the WT doe season..

wideopenthrottle
11-12-2022, 06:33 PM
definately not complaining..more of a warning...very nice to see...just means being more careful and missing an opportunity or 2...

Norwestalta
11-12-2022, 07:41 PM
I'm not complaining either. Most of the time they're like rodents.

Redthies
11-13-2022, 07:54 AM
Saw this guy this morning at 163 and 92 in Surrey. Not sure the neighbors would have paid much attention to an extra gun shot in the area but I thought I better not risk it.

https://i.imgur.com/Wzc4nbN.jpg

You must have photo shopped that. Everyone knows there are no WT in region 2. That’s why there is no season for them:roll:

I had two WT in my lower acre at 168th and 20th in South Surrey about five years ago…

MRP
11-13-2022, 09:07 AM
Put 200k on Friday north of PG not really the best deer country around but seen one kill a fair bit of tracks. BUT lots fo Grizzly tracks a 1/4 to 1/3 of the time we were driving on Grizzly tracks, not all road hunters drive trucks.

Imdone
11-13-2022, 10:10 AM
You must have photo shopped that. Everyone knows there are no WT in region 2. That’s why there is no season for them:roll:

I had two WT in my lower acre at 168th and 20th in South Surrey about five years ago…

That's Not a White Tail.
BTail all the way

Bugle M In
11-13-2022, 01:02 PM
Don’t think a full moon really helps either right now during the rut???

geo guy
11-13-2022, 08:23 PM
saw a decent amount of deer yesterday and a ton today, probably close to a hundred, but virtually no rut activity where we are hunting. Cant find a 4pt to save our lives.

Norwestalta
11-13-2022, 08:55 PM
saw a decent amount of deer yesterday and a ton today, probably close to a hundred, but virtually no rut activity where we are hunting. Cant find a 4pt to save our lives.

I like the last week of Nov for deer hunting. Seems to be that's when I've shot most of the bigger ones I have.

Mulehahn
11-13-2022, 09:07 PM
Saw quite a few deer today; no 4 points but all the young bucks were swollen up and following a doe or two. Didn't care about me in the least. Only one thing on their mind in 3:28

Redthies
11-13-2022, 09:31 PM
That's Not a White Tail.
BTail all the way

The full video confirms this 1,000,000 %.

HarryToolips
11-13-2022, 09:54 PM
Saw a big rutted up buck today, neck swollen right up, was 90% sure he was a 4 pt, very dark antlers unfortunately for me were skylined to the dark conifers right at first light, then he took off before I could 100% confirm... then later my son and I grunted in a 3 pt that was following a doe... the rut is indeed on..

Imdone
11-13-2022, 10:18 PM
You might want to look again. Single main beam with tines sprouting from it and rust color coat. Pretty sure that’s not a BT…

No that is not the entire package, and should never be used solely to identify the target species. That can be regular antler growth of a 3 pt BT, the underbelly, the inside of legs, a tell tale giveaway, not white like a WT, the tail, although tough to see, brown to black outside, the barrel like body, the stout looking although not clear head.n
Many don't look at more than one identity marker.
That's a Fleetwood BT.

Mulehahn
11-14-2022, 12:22 AM
You might want to look again. Single main beam with tines sprouting from it and rust color coat. Pretty sure that’s not a BT…

Will have to go with Imdone on this one. The photo doesn't show the antlers that great but the rear end is 100% blacktail. Never used colour of the coat to identify though; will try comparing the next few I see.

GGB
11-14-2022, 04:17 AM
Here's the video the image was clipped from https://imgur.com/bbjtxCv

RackStar
11-14-2022, 06:47 AM
Lots of dog tracks , the most abundant animal I’ve seen up here this season is moose. Lots of bull moose. White tails been slow for me .. only shot 1 doe so far. I’ve got some legal bull elk on my cameras so I may switch to still hunting elk until the seasons over. If I see a WT bonus. New area for me though didn’t have a chance to pre season scout so my opinion and view could be jaded.

Redthies
11-14-2022, 08:20 AM
Here's the video the image was clipped from https://imgur.com/bbjtxCv

Well, that would have helped! I’ve never seen a blacktail with a straight main beam like that. Context is everything, and in the clipped photo, you can’t see the tail, and the light gives it a much different coat color. I’ve never been wrong on species in person, this photo just fooled me… I stand corrected.

Dench
11-14-2022, 11:19 AM
3-26 and no not really. I usually see at at least ten a year this year 3.