PDA

View Full Version : Skagit Valley Rd - Ross Lake

J-Man
11-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Hey everyone, I was looking for someone that has hunted the area before. I haven't had a chance to get up at all this year. So with a 1 days grace from the wife I decided to head up to Ross Lake area and see if anything is around.

I checked out Google Earth and it looks like from Skagit Valley Rd, there are some other logging roads heading up to logging areas. Does anyone know if they are worth trying? Or should I just road hunt all the way to Ross and then do some walking. I hear there are some trails and a meadow that can sometimes produce.

I'll be happy just to get away for the day and maybe do some target shooting. But if you have hunted the area and have anything you would like to share good, bad or ugly please let me know. Descriptions of what areas to try and what areas are a waste would be great.

Steeleco
11-29-2007, 06:58 PM
If you have a good vehicle and a means to self extricate you can get into some nice areas. Failing that there are some good cut blocks all the way along the road. Hopefully the rut is in full swing and the boys will be less cautious? Be aware of the no shooting areas close to the respective parks and have fun.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

J-Man
11-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Ah thanks, didn't even see the no shooting area in B1.

Figured the Silver Lake Campground area was no shooting. The Skagit Valley Prov Park says its ok though.

Open to hunting from September 10th to March 31st during a lawful game hunting season. Horses may be brought in for hunting. You will require all applicable hunting licences (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/hunting.htm). However, there is no park specific hunting permit needed

Jetboater
11-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Closed 400 meters off either side of the road when you enter the park....

gearjunkierob
11-29-2007, 07:52 PM
I was in the Skagit Valley a few days ago. Talked to a few hunters in the area who had seen nothing. I have been in that valley a number of times this fall, and haven't seen a heck of a lot to be honest with you. I just don't think that there has been enough snow in the Alpine to push the deer down yet, of course - I don't claim to be a super knowledgable guy so don't take my word for it.

As for the road, there was only about 4-6 inches of snow (at the deepest) out there early this week, but there were some nasty icy patches starting to form up. Take er slow and you should be ok. Steelco was right though, a number of hunters have found themselves stuck in that valley so best to bring an "Oh sh&t" kit to get you out should you put her in the ditch or something. There are a number of spur roads in the Skagit, but I'd be skeptical as to how far up them you can get right now. Some of them are pretty steep and would become quite treacherous with even a few inches of the white stuff on them.

I think you are on the right track with Google Earth, J-man. If you are willing to walk there COULD be some nice spots in there. Lots of road hunters in the area, but if you are willing to walk you should find some soltitute.

I'll be in the skagit valley myself this weekend. I've got a day free for a hunt and its so nice and close it is hard to pass up the opportunity! Steelco gave you some good advice about the Parks. Silver Lake PP is closed to hunting altogether and Skagit Valley PP has a 400m closure to hunting either side of the main road. Rangers are in there on a regular basis enforcing the closure as well.

Have fun out there and good luck!

Rob

Steeleco
11-29-2007, 10:28 PM
A friend of mine spent the weekend in there W/E of the 17th. Saw one doe and one buck 3x3 too late in the day for a legal shot. The park ranger he spoke too said the rut was late, but when it comes, there's deer all over!!

I don't recall the exact spot, but there's a trail that takes you the back way into Greendrop lake. When I last hiked it there was plenty of sign of deer and bear, but that's one road you won't get a truck down.!!

Like I've said before, only the deer know where the secret spots are!!!

Mtn Wonderer
11-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Try the Maselpanick drainage I have seen good the sign in there in past years.
Take chains!!!! good ones.

TIKA 300
11-30-2007, 07:26 PM
A friend of mine spent the weekend in there W/E of the 17th. Saw one doe and one buck 3x3 too late in the day for a legal shot. The park ranger he spoke too said the rut was late, but when it comes, there's deer all over!!

I don't recall the exact spot, but there's a trail that takes you the back way into Greendrop lake. When I last hiked it there was plenty of sign of deer and bear, but that's one road you won't get a truck down.!!

Like I've said before, only the deer know where the secret spots are!!!
THAT ONE WOULD BE A SERIOUS HIKE FROM THE MAIN ROAD.Havent been up there in many years though. TK

locdog_99
11-30-2007, 07:26 PM
i saw a nice buck there last weekend and 1 mtn goat on the cliffs

Barracuda
12-01-2007, 01:26 AM
we were in there yesterday with the hounds the snow is down and the roads were pretty slick with the wet snow freezing up for the drive out.

Saw some bobcat tracks a ways in, a fair number of track on the main and a doe that we quietly watched for a while. We saw plenty of deer tracks up paleface which we went up till it got to slippery and steep (the ride down was scarrier then the ride up:eek:) . later we were told by a hunter comeing out of a fresh set of cat track at the suspension bridge which we drove to and it was just getting dark turns out the track are actually crossing the bridge so we just walked the hounds on it on lead for a little bit to stretch our legs and then took the long slick dark drive out.

four wheel drive and good tires are a must if the snow is packing in there and chains if you gottem

Steeleco
12-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Where is the suspension bridge you mention? Is it within the park? I've only ever hunted outside the park and not seen one!

TIKA 300
12-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Where is the suspension bridge you mention? Is it within the park? I've only ever hunted outside the park and not seen one!
YUP it is !!!!!!!

Barracuda
12-01-2007, 04:28 PM
it is in the skagit valley rec area . the bridge is about 50yds before the park gate (the only closed gate across the main FSR) so you shouldnt be able to miss it. the fellow that told us about the tracks had said he crossed the suspension bridge and walked in and jumped a spike .

Steeleco
12-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks Gents, more area to look over!!

J-Man
12-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Yea saw the cat tracks on the bridge early in the morning. Lots of bobcat tracks on some of the other trails. Walked a few of the slashes, doe and buck tracks but never saw anything. Could have had a few grouse they were out on the trails still.

When you cross the suspension bridge and head to the meadow saw a doe cross there around 8:30 I think it was, some buck tracks at the far end. Talked to a few groups, one shot a 4x4 in the meadow last weekend. Another bagged a 4x4 2 weeks ago, but wouldn't say where in the park.

All luck, I guess. The meadow was packed with hunters by 2:40pm (1 at the entrance, middle and end) So if your a sitter you better show up early I guess. We ended up spending the afternoon in the clearing on the lake just past the meadow. Tried the doe call a few times but nothing was around. That meadow would be a nice tree stand spot. Might try it again next weekend. Bring some buck scent and spray up the center, see if anything comes to check it out. A few of the guys said the rut hadn't started in that area yet.

J-Man
12-06-2007, 01:23 AM
I going to head back up on Saturday I think, get to the meadow hopefully before everyone else. Maybe somethings hanging about.

Barracuda
12-06-2007, 01:36 AM
once the deer season ends it should be nice and uncrowded:D size my tire chains for the ford and i should be good to go:D

cwocarsten
12-08-2007, 02:52 AM
I used to hunt there alot when I had my mine claim up there. I stopped for a while but went up there last month with my nephew. We went in on a side rd just Before the Malspenac turnoff and found a camper shot out with shotgun pellets and AT LEAST 200 empty casings lying around it. It made us sick seeing it and thought for sure that some anti hunter will get ahold of a picture of this and post it. We would have cleaned it up but I refuse to clean up after slobs in the bush.

pikey
12-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Great, just what we need, another Sylvester road in Mission.

Paulyman
12-08-2007, 11:34 AM
I used to hunt there alot when I had my mine claim up there. I stopped for a while but went up there last month with my nephew. We went in on a side rd just Before the Malspenac turnoff and found a camper shot out with shotgun pellets and AT LEAST 200 empty casings lying around it. It made us sick seeing it and thought for sure that some anti hunter will get ahold of a picture of this and post it. We would have cleaned it up but I refuse to clean up after slobs in the bush.

The Skagit Valley has turned into a disgrace, i brought a first time hunter out there for opening weekend this year,hoping to show him "the great outdoors" we could not believe how much garbage was everywhere and how people could be such slobs.

bruin
12-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Got this e-mail the other day about the Skagit.

The Ministry of Environment is in the process of preparing a
> Fish and
> > Wildlife Management Plan for the Upper Skagit River Watershed.
> The plan
> > will
> > cover the entire watershed, both sections located within parks
> and
> > protected
> > areas and sections located outside of protected areas. The
> scope of the
> > plan
> > will encompass management issues related to fish, game
> animals, species at
> > risk, and any other wildlife found within the watershed.
> >
> > A draft plan is currently being drawn up. Following the
> completion of this
> > draft, public consultation meetings will be held. Interested
> members of
> > the
> > public and outdoor recreation groups will be invited to attend
> one of
> > these
> > meetings to provide their comments and concerns regarding wildlife
> > management in the Skagit Watershed. These meetings will take
> place in late
> > January or early February. More information on the exact
> dates, times and
> > locations of these meetings will follow.
> >
> > Please contact the following if you have any concerns or
> information you
> > feel would contribute to the development of the Skagit Fish
> and Wildlife
> > Management Plan.
> >
> > Anita Fedoruk
> > Skagit Watershed Coordinator
> > BC Ministry of Environment
> > Lower Mainland Region
> > E-mail: Anita.Fedoruk@gov.bc.ca
> >
> > ORC has been advised that the following groups have already
> been contacted
> > with this information so we apologise for duplicate postings.
> >
> > BC Federation of Fly
> Fishers Outdoor Recreation Council
> > of BC
> >
> > Osprey Fly Fishers of
> BC CPAWS - BC Chapter
> >
> > Loon's Flyfishing
> Club British Columbia
> > Conservation Foundation
> >
> > BC Wildlife
> Federation The Pacific Streamkeepers
> > Federation
> >
> > Mission and District Rod and Gun
> Club BC Watershed Stewardship
> > Alliance
> >
> > Finnish Canadian Fish and Game Club
> >
> >
> > Jeremy McCall, Executive Director
> > Outdoor Recreation Council of British Columbia
> > outdoorrec@orcbc.ca
> > 604-737-3058
> >
> > "Promoting access to and responsible use of BC's public lands
> and
> > waterways
> > for public outdoor recreation!"
> >
> >
>
>

TIKA 300
12-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Great, just what we need, another Sylvester road in Mission.
Lived in this area (Mission) for 16 years now and will go Sylvester once a year(this time of the year,cuz me thinks i found a honey hole way way back there)

That area is sickening to say the least (lived 2 houses away from ridge view for 4 years)Between the bikes-quads ricky racing up and down the road (paved)and the DOPE grown back there,it amazes me there arent more fatal accidents ...............

Its to bad that so much garbage etc is dumped in such a beautiful valley like Ross lake,thats such a shame .............. TK

Steeleco
12-08-2007, 09:36 PM
A good friend of mine was in there today, tells me there was a ton of damage done to the main road this past week. Had a heck of a time getting past the 2km mark due to road conditions. Seems the local hills took a beating this last week.