PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail vets: Luring/Attracting Mature Bucks

TheObserver
11-07-2022, 09:41 AM
Now that the Bucks are doing their pre rut/rut excursions i'm getting some nice mature 4 points coming through my spot, right under my set up actually.

Because these Deer here are so random, I did 14 hours of being still this weekend in my set up without a passerby.

Curious how you have managed to fool a Mature Buck and get him to come investigate, rattling, decoys, anything etc..

I just recently found out about mock scrapes/lick sticks for Whities, is there anything like this to bring in a Blacktail? My research and experience hasn't led me to it if there is

Imdone
11-07-2022, 10:06 AM
No sense even going in there with a swirling wind.
Find a pinch point with a dominant wind direction in your favor.
Tippy can for bleat work too

TheObserver
11-07-2022, 10:13 AM
No sense even going in there with a swirling wind.
Find a pinch point with a dominant wind direction in your favor.

I'm in a stand there and the wind is pretty steady most days, I could have found a better place for the stand with a trail they frequent more but it's up now. They come right under though but sitting can be a looooong waiting game

TheObserver
11-07-2022, 10:33 AM

I got one I will bring it with me this week

stixnstones
11-07-2022, 11:10 AM
Are u out in ur stand today

Imdone
11-07-2022, 11:15 AM
Choose your route in and out wisely.
BTs are or can be smart !
Until they just stupidly commit suicide over a would be piece of tail

Ron.C
11-07-2022, 11:27 AM
Some years ago, I rattled/grunt called in my biggest blacktail. He came in neck swollen, stiff legged and grunting (I actually heard him before I saw him). There was no doubt in my mind the calling brought him in as he looked like he wanted to kick someones ass. I was set up in a creekbottom on a cold still morning and I think the calling could be heard from quite a ways off, helping me out.

I'm also an advocate of all day sits when I have a promising stand location set up, especially this time of year. The longer you are in the stand, ther better your odds are of one just happening to come by while you are there.

TheObserver
11-07-2022, 11:50 AM
Are u out in ur stand today

Yes . . .

stixnstones
11-07-2022, 12:11 PM
That’s awesome �� u can sit in your stand n still get cell service. Good way to pass the time. Goodluck

TheObserver
11-07-2022, 12:16 PM
Some years ago, I rattled/grunt called in my biggest blacktail. He came in neck swollen, stiff legged and grunting (I actually heard him before I saw him). There was no doubt in my mind the calling brought him in as he looked like he wanted to kick someones ass. I was set up in a creekbottom on a cold still morning and I think the calling could be heard from quite a ways off, helping me out.

I'm also an advocate of all day sits when I have a promising stand location set up, especially this time of year. The longer you are in the stand, ther better your odds are of one just happening to come by while you are there.

For sure! Hey Ron what week of Nov would you say you see the most movement/action for BT. Seems like this and next week will be most activity from my experience

TheObserver
11-07-2022, 12:18 PM
That’s awesome �� u can sit in your stand n still get cell service. Good way to pass the time. Goodluck

Hahah yep, but with these Ghosts and the way things go for me when I play on the phone is when he'll walk through lol

Ron.C
11-07-2022, 01:38 PM
For sure! Hey Ron what week of Nov would you say you see the most movement/action for BT. Seems like this and next week will be most activity from my experience

I think it can vary +/- a week each year, but the first 2 weeks on NOV is never a bad bet to be in the stand or up in the cutblocks/timber. I've seen rutting action on the island as late as end Nov. That said, my biggest 2 bucks were the last week of Oct, biggest on Oct 31 and both clearly showed rutting behavior.

I was out on foot for a few hours yesterday as it snowed up high the night before, wind and rain down low. Checking out some high cutblocks that I haven't been to in a couple years. Saw 7 (2 bucks, 3 does, 2 fawns) between 11 am and 2pm when the ceiling lifted enough for me to see. Fresh tracks everywhere! Between the rut and weather they are definitely moving right now.

Camp Cook
12-03-2022, 03:12 PM
I agree but will extend it one more week = I have my best luck last week of October first two weeks of November