PDA

View Full Version : Rattling for muley bucks?

HarryToolips
11-02-2022, 08:30 PM
So I've rattled for whitetails before, but with muleys I've only employed spot-and-stalk, still-hunting, and sitting tactics, but just wondering if anyone has ever had success rattling in muleys during the pre-rut and/or rut?

KC2
11-02-2022, 08:54 PM
Difference between wt and muley
You have to go after the muley, like spot and stalk,etc
The wt has to come to you.

Harvest the Land
11-02-2022, 09:00 PM
I remember dana (who should be in your neck of the woods Harry) posting years ago that he had some success drawing them in by just taking a shed/antler and just scraped/rubbed it against the trunk of a tree. Try and search through old threads here and it should pop up as there was lots of good info in that thread. (I usually just still hunt or spot and stalk or sit like you)

HarryToolips
11-02-2022, 09:21 PM
Difference between wt and muley
You have to go after the muley, like spot and stalk,etc
The wt has to come to you.

Mostly true yes, though still hunting for whitetails can be extremely effective..

HarryToolips
11-02-2022, 09:21 PM
I remember dana (who should be in your neck of the woods Harry) posting years ago that he had some success drawing them in by just taking a shed/antler and just scraped/rubbed it against the trunk of a tree. Try and search through old threads here and it should pop up as there was lots of good info in that thread. (I usually just still hunt or spot and stalk or sit like you)

OK cool to know thanks man!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-03-2022, 03:33 AM
I’ve rattled in far more mulies than whitetails over the years and most of those have been suicidal does.
I’m sure I’ve rattled in more whitetails than I know about as a lot of them have busted me by circling quite a bit downwind. Just never got an ID on them.

As Jason mentioned above, Dana has has good success raking and grunting with mulies. Has also worked for me too

SSS

HarryToolips
11-03-2022, 05:39 AM
I’ve rattled in far more mulies than whitetails over the years and most of those have been suicidal does.
I’m sure I’ve rattled in more whitetails than I know about as a lot of them have busted me by circling quite a bit downwind. Just never got an ID on them.

As Jason mentioned above, Dana has has good success raking and grunting with mulies. Has also worked for me too

SSS

Good to know thanks!

jimzuk
11-03-2022, 07:02 PM
I’ve had some success rattling for Miley’s but it has always been small bucks never a big one that show up.

Hunting/addict
11-03-2022, 08:45 PM
I have had good success on mature bucks but the key I believe is you need a high density of bucks in the area. If you have lots of does and onl\y a few bucks then they have no reason to come in for a fight or to steal does as they already have plenty. Mule deer bucks come in much more direct and dont circle down wind as often as white tails I find.......

HarryToolips
11-03-2022, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I was just curious as the muley hunting should be getting good now, should be fun!

horseman2
11-04-2022, 05:12 AM
My attempts to rattle mule deer appeared to be fruitless. There are four antlers attached to a leather shoe lace so they hang.
Whether they produce a different sound or create greater volume I don't know.
While trying to get two bucks to show themselves better while they were sparring did get a view to show they were not legal.
Picked up my gear and slung the lace over my shoulder so the antlers produced a tinkling sound.
Walked within 25 yards of the two bucks and they continued to spar and produced a similar sound as my antlers.
Looked back from 100 yards and they continued to test each other.
Having shot only one white tail, I don't know if mule deer antlers would attract whitetails.

high horse Hal
11-04-2022, 08:03 AM
Nov. 4-pt only and fresh snow, it doesn't get any better

Maybe its the timing, but twice I had nearby MD bucks totally ignore rattling, but then grunting had their attention

swampthing
11-04-2022, 12:04 PM
The first time I ever tried rattling I brought in both a mule deer and a coarse buck. I was in the mountains and it was very foggy. The fog momentarily cleared and I spotted a shooter 4x muley on a ridge adjacent to the one I was one. The fog came back in ruining a chance at a stalk. I set up and rattled a few times. 15-20 minutes later I got bored and stood up to go after him. I then spotted the coarse buck. He had come in to the left of me and held up in the timber. When I made eye contact he bolted. I shouldered my pack thinking this rattling thing might just be a great thing to utilize when I spotted the muley I was targeting. He had circled and came in behind me! Once again as soon as eye contact was made he bolted! Be patient and aware from all directions, particularly down wind. This was during the middle of the rut. My best luck ratting has been during october when the bucks are sparring to work out their pecking order prior to the rut. I rattled this october every time I was out with no luck, so far!

swampthing
11-04-2022, 12:07 PM
And to add to that, using scents downwind may just help? I always try to use the two together. This all said, my luck rattling hasnt been spectacular. I feel if the bucks are there, good chance they will respond.

JDR
11-04-2022, 03:12 PM
Haven't had a lot of success rattling in mulies, but will continue to try. Have had some success bringing them in by raking trees and also with can calls (i.e. doe in heat).

srupp
11-04-2022, 03:35 PM
hmmm the ONLY rattling success..2x has been in ALBERTA late season..COLD...

HEARTBREAKER A sitting in a chair ground blind...last 30 minutes grunting..rattling...crunch crunch....here comes deer..I only had a whitetail tag....so here comes THE SINGULAR largest mulie I have ever seen..easily over 190..I was so upset Icould have puked !
however they still walk amongst us..that was nice to see.
Srupp

post edit..Andy Miller hosted us on his Grampas ranch..

RIP Andy:icon_frow

XPEIer
11-06-2022, 06:56 PM
Well it does work, rattled in a 5x5 today,,, now I knew he was in the area, had him on camera but after two 30 second rattles I look up and he is standing there, so yep give it a go.

XPEIER

walks with deer
11-06-2022, 08:38 PM
Have called in rattling muleys\blacktails\whitetails \moose and elk buy raking..

Imdone
11-06-2022, 09:06 PM
Called in my biggest Mulie to date by rattling, it works

HarryToolips
11-06-2022, 10:42 PM
Good to hear you guys, I think I'll try it...the rut activity should pick up now with the cold weather, going to be fun, hopefully my hunting won't be limited the rest of the season, good luck to you all..

FYI from the tracks I've observed while hunting moose (and wolves lol) at higher elevation, it appears the deer are starting to move down, so things should really be heating up..

smallfry14
11-08-2022, 08:45 AM
Have had some success grunting/burping and raking while still hunting. Nov. 7 one year I bumped 5 bucks in the timber, circled down the ridge from them and grunted/raked while following their general direction..one peeled off from the group and came right in to 10 yds to get himself shot..

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/X1l5rnIhtts

TheObserver
11-08-2022, 09:44 AM
Have had some success grunting/burping and raking while still hunting. Nov. 7 one year I bumped 5 bucks in the timber, circled down the ridge from them and grunted/raked while following their general direction..one peeled off from the group and came right in to 10 yds to get himself shot..

Hahaha that is awesome!

ACB
11-08-2022, 12:00 PM
Have never had success rattling in Muley's, but grunting, I'v had good success grunting in both Md and Wt bucks. The grunting of Md bucks seems I only had younger bucks in 4pt. season but fun anyway. Grunt tube "don't leave home without it" this time of the year.

HarryToolips
11-08-2022, 12:08 PM

Nice work!.......

john-brennan
11-11-2022, 07:11 PM
I have used a grunt tube to bring the odd one in when they are rutting