PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather next week what to expect?

krazzzyk
11-02-2022, 04:31 PM
Hi Guys,

Heading to reg 3 next week from the Island but man the weather forecast is a bit concerning. -20ish yikes! Wondering what do the deer tend to do when a cold snap hits?

Mulehahn
11-02-2022, 05:22 PM
We had the same thing 2 years ago at the end of October. Though it doesn't appear this is a sudden. Hunted for 3 days and saw absolutely nothing so searched for open water on the Fourth day and had one of my best days fishing ever. It warned up on the 5th day and it was like a switch. Know of 4 groups that tagged out. If it's going to be a short deep freeze I think they hunker down and wait, not moving far. You have to find them.

srupp
11-02-2022, 05:46 PM
hmmm happens every year. Predictable
Deer need to feed their bodies..colder means they need more food to stock their boilers..
means feeding a bit earlier..extra outing for fuel.. with - 21 they will bed out of the wind...UP hill to bed..in /under tree canopy..
after 40 years its consistent and predictable at -21 they will be visable for longer during daylight hours eating more/longer to get that fuel..there is very little to eat under tree canopy.
great time to get A BIG ONE..
Cheers
Steven

RyoTHC
11-02-2022, 07:01 PM
Well, I have seen more mule does and bucks this week than the entire season combined prior…
bumped 6 mulie bucks tonight and 2 white tail, did a long miserable stalk on a big 5x5 I spotted across a valley with the spotter.. got all the way to him, lay prone to get ready and my damn phone rings! Rookie mistake and the big guy headed for the next area code… he was tending 4 does, the other 4pts I’ve seen all had does yarded up and they were bedded above and back a bit. Ruts on and the cold is the best thing you can ask for!

Vortex hunter
11-02-2022, 08:43 PM
I like cold weather keeps some people home hahaha ��

wildcatter
11-02-2022, 09:12 PM
Today walking up my drive way and it's pretty cold, I see 2 deer, it was getting dark and I thought one is a buck,
but it was a bigger doe and she didn't run away, rather started walking towards me.
I was squinting trying to see if it had antlers, thinking I don't want to go toe to toe with a rutting buck.

adriaticum
11-02-2022, 09:35 PM
Expect snow, blizzard conditions on highways and lots accidents.

Redthies
11-02-2022, 09:49 PM
Expect snow, blizzard conditions on highways and lots accidents.

Perfect. I gotta go to Vancouver on business. I’ll bring snacks;)

250 sav
11-04-2022, 02:47 PM
They will be feeding more. When not feeding with be out of the wind which usually means hidden.

Norwestalta
11-04-2022, 04:16 PM
Had a -20 night that I wasn't prepared for and the water froze. I expect to put on long John's and a hard hat liner. I figure the deer and elk will be feeding later in the am and earlier in the pm once the wind dies down. I've been taking my gun but I'll start packing shells with it now.