PDA

View Full Version : Favourite way to transport rifle on ATV

the force
10-30-2022, 10:27 PM
I haven’t quad hunted for about 15 years though just inherited one so may give it a go for Nov moose. I’m well aware of the benefits of a speedy shoulder, though also conscious of mud and twigs flying everywhere and trying to keep my rifle reasonably clean. Growing up in SK a rifle always had to be encased, through not the case here… what’s the preferred methods? Sling, Y style holder, kolpin gun boot? Don’t want to make the bike any wider… also, helmets required at all times or only on forestry roads? I typically wear one, just want to be informed on actual rules. Thanks.

Bigdoggdon
10-30-2022, 10:38 PM
Sling across my chest, rifle on my back. Shotgun for grouse in the gun boot. If you're being hit with mud and twigs, you're driving too fast. Helmets? No comment.

Kos
10-30-2022, 10:39 PM
I’ve always use the Y holders on the front rack we have a box on the front of our quad so the rifles clean 90% of the time, when it rains it gets wet, I should mention even when strapped in it does rattle the gun quite a bit so we put additional rags held by elastic bands inside the Y for an added layer. Helmets we bring with us but typically never wear them although we probably should on main roads just for safety. Most of the hunters I’ve seen on quads don’t seem to wear them so i don’t either. A while back we were stopped by A CO and he didn’t seem to care about us not having helmets. I do not 100% know the law about them so don’t take my word for not having to wear them, in my experiences I’ve gotten by just fine without one.

MRP
10-31-2022, 05:39 AM
Piper and I heading out. Since the longest rifle I own is 39” I had to make myself one.
Made a wood mould, first lair soft cotton canvas, contact cement on synthetic cork floor under lay, next 4 oz fibreglass then sun deck material.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PXL_20220526_160945685_copy_1008x756.jpg

ACE
10-31-2022, 07:16 AM
Shortened a Kolpin 'Gun Boot' and made a different mounting system. Re-padded the whole thing.
The Kolpin 'Gun Boot' as is, is just a poorly designed chunk of Tupperware. Mine is mounted facing forward
and pointing slightly down on the right side if the front ATV rack. Travel with or without the shortened cap on.
The cap has a loop handle for fast removal.

Gun Dog
10-31-2022, 07:42 AM
I started with a Kolpin Gun Boot mounted on the rear rack next to my hip. It's too long for most hunting rifles. I switched to Y brackets on the front and a soft case on top of the cargo box on the rear rack. The soft case keeps my rifle clean. I use a safari sling and sometimes ride with the rifle on my lap.

I rarely see a hunter with a helmet.

Ron.C
10-31-2022, 08:07 AM
I don't hunt with my quad often but when I do (mostly spring bear hunting), I just use a couple koplin T mounts on the front of my Kodiak. I place them as far back on the front rack as I can so they don't affect my steering but keeps most my front rack still useable. I don't case the rifle but keep the muzzle taped and the scope covered with a neporene sock, never had an issue. I do however check the mounts security and condition every time I use it.

MOOSE MILK
10-31-2022, 11:41 AM
X2 On the Safari Sling, rifle rests on my lap.Grouse gun 10/22 sits behind a box on the front, gloves provide cushion and readily available.
MM

mike31154
10-31-2022, 12:15 PM
I use a motorbike on occasion, don't have a quad. I sling it over my head/shoulder in a Beretta gun bag. Several years ago on an Island Elk LEH I rode a buddy's quad which had a handlebar mount. Rubberised V-slots with rubber straps holding it in place. I also used his cover which only protected the top of the gun, with the walnut stock resting bare in the mounts. Well we ended up riding in some rough conditions which shook the $hit out of the handlebars. When I got home I found wear marks on my previously pristine walnut stock. Mildly upset about that, but my bigger concern was the effect that jarring had on my scope with regard to accuracy. I recall having to re adjust zero on the range again on that firearm.

If not mistaken, legally you are transporting a firearm regardless of vehicle type so the federal law regarding transport applies. Unloaded with trigger guard and/or bolt removed. My Honda is street legal, I'm accustomed to wearing a helmet so I always do. Buddies on the quads don't.

https://dsm01pap004files.storage.live.com/y4mY9Bw_5JVY4fWSsXVL0ZV91dfyZRbHZAMvTNGB3BsoL0eGP0 NW26IJLWZgQpmxdd6vVP3kZZUjh-uBFzy5gFG4pzKs3GOnhT9H9GQtIeM6iLHP7DmOBqBj9HtPGrLU JcDPeDczGXAz1JtNyrkLEP-jjv6_fs5sCFXIHBoa9oyZcFCNmYUqr0ujQtUr97erWtX?width =1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

IronNoggin
10-31-2022, 12:34 PM
... If not mistaken, legally you are transporting a firearm regardless of vehicle type so the federal law regarding transport applies. Unloaded with trigger guard and/or bolt removed.

When transporting in any vehicle, you do NOT require a trigger lock, nor the bolt removed.
Just cannot be "loaded", ie: having a full magazine in under an empty bolt

Cheer,
Nog

Downwindtracker2
10-31-2022, 12:54 PM
Everyone where I hunt ended up using boxes.This tells you something. I use a box and the rifle is kitty corner. My 24" barreled magnum fits. Others have had the barrel shortened. Another clever answer was to criss cross bungees so the full length box would bounce sideways when that tree jumped out. My lid is hinged on the front like everyone else's. My box covers the front rack. The rifle section is like a hard shell rifle case so I get a fair bit of storage in the rest of the box. What ever you do, don't mount the rifle so you can not bail easily.

bcsteve
10-31-2022, 01:00 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/BQhZ6dhG/3-A1-B923-C-350-F-4590-9-B0-B-A8803-E38-AFA7.jpgKolpin Stronghold boot.

bcsteve
10-31-2022, 01:07 PM
Everyone where I hunt ended up using boxes.This tells you something. I use a box and the rifle is kitty corner. My 24" barreled magnum fits. Others have had the barrel shortened. Another clever answer was to criss cross bungees so the full length box would bounce sideways when that tree jumped out. My lid is hinged on the front like everyone else's. My box covers the front rack. The rifle section is like a hard shell rifle case so I get a fair bit of storage in the rest of the box. What ever you do, don't mount the rifle so you can not bail easily.
What kind of box let you put in a full length rifle? Got a photo?

Downwindtracker2
10-31-2022, 03:09 PM
Bcsreve you ask the impossible of an old phart. I hunt for keys when I type ! My quad is an '08 Can-Am. The box is U-shapped around the center to get the length. And the front corners are rounded for added length and tree bounce off. I'm right handed so the butt is at my right. I had to lay the rifle on it's right hand side to get the curve. It would have been handier on it's left. The box is about 6" deep. It's built like a boat with plywood core covered by fiberglass/ epoxy.

I had mounted my rifle like yours , but I was too slow a couple of times. Moose and potatoes without the moose.

The rifle is kitty corner, but I can't take credit, it was Dan's idea. After three designs I got it right.

Farmer
10-31-2022, 03:22 PM
While I haven't used the quad for hunting for a few years, We used Y mounts when we did. But I am older and not in a hurry so that helped.
As far as a helmet, be prepared to miss opportunities as can be difficult to see through your scope with the helmet still on.

Bustercluck
10-31-2022, 04:10 PM
I do one of two things. For longer trips when I’m heading into my camping/hunting spot I try and tie my rifle on my front rack on top of coolers or whatever else is there, or throw it in the tub trailer.

Second. On a sling, over my shoulder across the front. It’s pretty comfy and you can articulate the end of the barrel a bit when you’re going through thicker stuff. I don’t typically road hunt though. I usually use my quad to get where I’m going and get off.

Huk
10-31-2022, 04:42 PM
Rifle is slung across my back. Shotgun I just stick between my leg and quad. Helmet, if I do wear it I use a skateboard helmet.

srthomas75
10-31-2022, 06:00 PM
I use an older kolpin boot mounted similar to the BcSteve photo. But it's mounted more forward on the rear fender/rack so the end of the barrel rests at the foot rest. The end cap of the gunboot is kept off so that the buttstock is sticking out and accessible but the scope is protected from dust and mud.

the force
10-31-2022, 09:29 PM
All good excellent comments and perspective that I can align with. Yes being able to quickly access is key, I’ll likely primarily use a sling and maybe grab some Y mounts for those more commute type rides. I do have a neoprene scope cover which will be sufficient protection along with tape on the muzzle (it’s cerekoted and synthetic for a reason right!). Thanks for the intel on helmets as well. Will grab a snap next weekend when I’m out with my boy.

northof49
10-31-2022, 10:28 PM
Sling across back, rifle in front bbl angled upward. Keeps it protected and can control bbl through brush. Quick to access.

bcsteve
11-01-2022, 05:40 AM
For those who ride with their rifles slung on their back or in the front, that’s a lot of trust in those sling studs.

wallz
11-01-2022, 09:04 AM
I ride a sxs so there is a bit more room. Mine is mounted in a kolpin stronghold in the box right behind me. Gets covered in mud, rain, twigs and what ever else and it sits nicely in the boot. Still fairly quick to get out.

The second rifle rides inside the cab, mounted in a soft bag on the pass side, between the riders. U mount on handle bar, and one on the back to hold the butt.

No way I would ever ride on a quad with it mounted on the front with no hard case. Seen too many get muddy on the trails as we pass others. Plus the abuse it would get on the trails I usually go to get to places the poor rifle would get beat to snot in no time.

Over the shoulder, naw not for this guy. Going thru tight bush is a staple to get to moose grounds, so that would not fly.

My previous rifle and scope rode for 4 years and put on over 5000 kms. Never a problem with shifting optics or having to verify. She stayed straight and true the hole time. Some may ask, "that many kms"? Yep, I could cover 300 kms in a day to get to certain areas from camp and back. Yep I even get off and hunt, not just ride. The sxs just gets me there quicker, and in style.

Squamch
11-01-2022, 10:30 AM
When transporting in any vehicle, you do NOT require a trigger lock, nor the bolt removed.
Just cannot be "loaded", ie: having a full magazine in under an empty bolt

Cheer,
Nog

Bingo! Unloaded is the ONLY requirement for a non restricted firearm during transport.

geologist
11-01-2022, 11:22 AM
https://i.imgur.com/b5Vta0Ll.jpg

BrookTrout
11-01-2022, 08:12 PM
I use the gun mounts on the front rack, I always have it in a soft gun case in the “y” holders to help protect