PDA

View Full Version : Road Kill Rules

.330 Dakota
10-30-2022, 04:38 PM
Someone told me the other day that it is now LEGAL to pick p road kill. I have Googled this a bit and I cant find anything to support that statement. Has anyone heard this?

MichelD
10-30-2022, 04:52 PM
I don't think this has changed. It is in the current regs.

IT’S UNLAWFUL

1. To be in possession of a big game animal without a properly cancelled species licence or otherwise by licence, permit, or a provided by regulation. Any person who kills any big game species must immediately after the kill and before handling the big game killed, cancel the appropriate species licence in accordance with the instructions on that licence.

.330 Dakota
10-30-2022, 05:12 PM
I don't think this has changed. It is in the current regs.

IT’S UNLAWFUL

1. To be in possession of a big game animal without a properly cancelled species licence or otherwise by licence, permit, or a provided by regulation. Any person who kills any big game species must immediately after the kill and before handling the big game killed, cancel the appropriate species licence in accordance with the instructions on that licence.

That was my understanding, and I cant find any changes either,,thank you

Mulehahn
10-30-2022, 05:47 PM
Road kill is different in that you to get a permit. You have to call FLNRO and make an appointment. I know biologists who have done it but in my experience good luck getting someone to answer phone.

This is the government site covering roadkill

http://wwwt.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/road_kill.html#:~:text=If%20you%20come%20across%20 dead,Specimen%20form%20%5BPDF%20178KB%5D%20complet ed

Liptugger
10-30-2022, 05:51 PM
Road kill is different in that you to get a permit. You have to call FLNRO and make an appointment. I know biologists who have done it but in my experience good luck getting someone to answer phone.

This is the government site covering roadkill

http://wwwt.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/road_kill.html#:~:text=If%20you%20come%20across%20 dead,Specimen%20form%20%5BPDF%20178KB%5D%20complet ed

Co told me they had to stop that.

Mulehahn
10-30-2022, 06:05 PM
Co told me they had to stop that.

Maybe. I am not sure, I suspect the COs used to be the ones to do the inspection. I know that a CO used to be able to authorize you to take it home and freeze until you could contact the FLNRO office as long as you contacted them first; you has better not touch anything without permission. My guess is they can't do this anymore.

Looking at the site it pretty clear have to call the FLRNO office and make an appointment; they are a government office open Monday to Friday with standard working hours. Not getting permission overnight or weekend.

Dannybuoy
10-30-2022, 06:14 PM
Also a trapper can pick up road kill and fill out the paperwork

KBC
10-30-2022, 06:22 PM
Just recently saw a story from a guy that got a permit to keep the meat from a cow moose that had been hit by a car. Called in to the CO’s office and was emailed a permit to keep it.

LBM
10-30-2022, 08:18 PM
Also a trapper can pick up road kill and fill out the paperwork

Yes but only certain animals apply, and can only be used for bait for trapping, among a few other rules.

Dannybuoy
10-30-2022, 09:38 PM
Yes but only certain animals apply, and can only be used for bait for trapping, among a few other rules.

Yes I understand that... from the regs ,

Trappers may pick up and transport any dead mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk, moose, black bear, or any wildlife listed in Schedules B or C

Blacktail1
10-30-2022, 09:51 PM
Government is irrelevant at this point . Tell em you identify as native and leave it at that.if a guy can identify as a girl And beat up girls the Olympic Games . It’s all good

Dannybuoy
10-30-2022, 09:56 PM
Government is irrelevant at this point . Tell em you identify as native and leave it at that.if a guy can identify as a girl And beat up girls the Olympic Games . It’s all good
LOL Ok !

Bigdoggdon
10-30-2022, 10:47 PM
Page 15

Possession and Transportation

Big Game»

It is unlawful to possess or transport a big game animal that was killed unintentionally, by accident or collision, or was illegally killed.

.330 Dakota
10-31-2022, 06:36 AM
So nothing has changed,,,thanks Guys

browningboy
10-31-2022, 06:47 AM
Who would want roadkill? Sorry just had to ask what someone would want it for, usually have high damage to it?

HappyJack
10-31-2022, 07:12 AM
Who would want roadkill? Sorry just had to ask what someone would want it for, usually have high damage to it?

Not always, CO called me to salvage a calf moose hit by a vehicle once, the only damage seemed to be in the pelvis area. We had the meat cut/wrapped and distributed to seniors.

HarryToolips
10-31-2022, 07:18 AM
Page 15

Possession and Transportation

Big Game»

It is unlawful to possess or transport a big game animal that was killed unintentionally, by accident or collision, or was illegally killed.
Bingo....unless as mentioned previously, you obtain a permit to do so....

GreyDog
10-31-2022, 07:49 AM
Hit a deer in the side of the head with the bush guard on my old Dodge. No damage to the truck and instant death to the deer. She would have been fine eating if I had thrown her into the back of the truck and taken her home or she would have fed the coyotes and ravens if I had left her lay. One of those personal choice, don't ask, don't tell, sort of things.

Redthies
10-31-2022, 09:07 AM
Hit a deer in the side of the head with the bush guard on my old Dodge. No damage to the truck and instant death to the deer. She would have been fine eating if I had thrown her into the back of the truck and taken her home or she would have fed the coyotes and ravens if I had left her lay. One of those personal choice, don't ask, don't tell, sort of things.

I’m sure the coyotes thanked you…

Redthies
10-31-2022, 09:11 AM

I’ve seen a disturbing amount of road kill this year after moving back to the Koots. (Slow the F down Alberta!). A large portion of them would give at least 1/2 or more of their bodies to good meat. Having seen how much damage a .30-06 does to the front quarters of a blacktail at closer ranges, I’m less convinced road kill is a bad idea. If it were legal, my freezer would be pretty full.

GreyDog
10-31-2022, 09:32 AM
I’m sure the coyotes thanked you…

I hear them howling their appreciation to this day. GD

mike31154
10-31-2022, 11:47 AM
On my way to a moose LEH a couple weeks ago I was 2 & 1/2 hours into the road trip noting how many bloody spots were on the hwy. I was on a relatively straight stretch on the right in a passing lane with great visibility either side, high noon. To this day I don't know how I didn't see it coming but a deer came flying across the road & smacked the bottom of the door on my access cab Tacoma. Caught it at the last moment prior to impact out of the corner of my eye. Looking in the rearview I watched it spin on the pavement behind me, no blood that I could see, so more of a glancing blow, I suspect a broken neck. Left a pretty good dent in the bottom of the door though. Found a place to pull over & check the damage but by this time the scene was beyond my field of view. Young doe, would have been fine eating if allowed to pick up.

.330 Dakota
10-31-2022, 02:37 PM
So I posted this thread yesterday,,this morning I smoke a big doe with my newly painted truck,,,FFS...Im JINXED

geologist
10-31-2022, 02:54 PM
Road Kill

If you come across dead wildlife or a part of any wildlife and you wish to acquire it from the government, you must immediately contact the nearest regional Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations office (http://wwwt.env.gov.bc.ca/esd/esd_reg_ops.html) to set up an appointment to have a Certification of Wildlife Specimen form (http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/pdf/applications/fish-wildlife/extras/CertificationOfSpecimen.pdf) [PDF 178KB] completed by a qualified ministry employee (e.g. wildlife biologist, wildlife technician).
The Certification of Wildlife Specimen form must be forwarded to FrontCounter BC along with a General Permit Application (http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/guides/fish-wildlife/general-permit/overview/) [PDF 35KB] and the applicable permit fees. Please refer to the Certification of Species Identification form for fees.
Follow the submission instructions on the FrontCounter BC website (http://www.frontcounterbc.ca/fish-wildlife-parks/).
Please note that section 6 of the Wildlife Act Permit Regulation (http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/253_2000) forbids a regional manager from transferring a right of property in eagles, endangered species, or threatened species and in a variety of described circumstances. In addition, section 6 of the Wildlife Act Permit Regulation forbids a regional manager from transferring a right of property in wildlife that has an auction value of over $200 (please refer to the Certification of Wildlife Specimen form for more details).
Under section 33(2) of the Wildlife Act [RSBC 1996] Chapter 488 it states:
“A person commits an offence if the person has dead wildlife or a part of any wildlife in his or her possession except as authorized under a licence or permit or as provided by regulation.”

Translation of government speak: F off and leave it there.

stosto
11-01-2022, 02:12 PM
I asked my local senior CO about this last year. He said that if you have a tag and it is the hunting season, a road kill buck is OK to be taken.

gab
11-01-2022, 06:01 PM
A CO told me that they don't hand issue permits to keep road kill unless you are a trapper because then people would start hunting with their cars. I thought it a stupid response - the damage to your vehicle hitting a deer or moose is likely to cost more to fix than the value of any meat salvaged. Both Alberta and Washington state issue permits for road killed animals, it is time for BC to get with the program.

j270wsm
11-01-2022, 06:16 PM
^^^^ I wondered if that could have been a reason why possessing roadkill was illegal…..$200 deductible is pretty cheap and your insurance rates don’t go up with a comprehensive claim.

Redthies
11-01-2022, 08:20 PM
^^^^ I wondered if that could have been a reason why possessing roadkill was illegal…..$200 deductible is pretty cheap and your insurance rates don’t go up with a comprehensive claim.

Hmmm. I figure with all the gear bought, and time taken off work, I’m coming in at around $200.00 per pound, so my deductible would be a 40x return on investment!

180grainer
11-04-2022, 10:27 AM
I picked up a fox one time which had a nice coat. Took it directly to the CO's office. They have to report it and if some official source wants it, you loose. If not, it's yours in 30 days. It was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure that's how it worked.

I think certain Roads contractors also pick up road killed moose and deer, and if recently killed, have food banks that become recipients.

Cdog
11-04-2022, 10:39 AM
In Washington state it is legal. Roadkill salvage permit | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (https://wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/roadkill-salvage). You can pick up the animal and if you get a free printable permit within 24 hours you are good!

high horse Hal
11-04-2022, 11:12 AM
freedom has its advantages

In Washington state it is legal. Roadkill salvage permit | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (https://wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/roadkill-salvage). You can pick up the animal and if you get a free printable permit within 24 hours you are good!

Arctic Lake
11-04-2022, 11:27 AM
I think I would want to talk to a CO before I transported any road kill . What if you get a CO that pulls you over on your way that woke up on the wrong side of the bed , might not be good outcome .
Then again if your roadside how easy is it to get in touch with a CO ?
Arctic Lake

SSG-man
11-04-2022, 12:27 PM
So I posted this thread yesterday,,this morning I smoke a big doe with my newly painted truck,,,FFS...Im JINXED

That is weird.
Were you seeing lots of game on road to ask or just coincidence ?

180grainer
11-04-2022, 01:45 PM
I think I would want to talk to a CO before I transported any road kill . What if you get a CO that pulls you over on your way that woke up on the wrong side of the bed , might not be good outcome .
Then again if your roadside how easy is it to get in touch with a CO ?
Arctic Lake
You have a good point. Hard to tell. Things have definitely changed since I picked up that fox. I also knew the CO's. Having said that. They had forms you fill out for just that purpose cause I filled one out. Fox dead on side of hwy. Who's going to stop. Look at it. Drive to the nearest CO office to fill out the paperwork. Drive back out and find a raven has done some damage or whatever. Life is full of risks..LoL