PDA

View Full Version : Where’s the stories ?

Arctic Lake
10-30-2022, 03:46 PM
Geeez C’mon fellas where’s the stories ? I’m probably not going to make it out this year ,so it would be good to see some pictures and stories of your hunts . Surely not everyone has had no luck !

I have read in different threads that a lot of fellas don’t post stories and pictures because of harvesting animals that are not Record Book Material and others rag on them . Piss on that man ! I don’t think that’s kosher in my book ! C’mon man let’s hear them and see the pictures !
Arctic Lake

Evanguy
10-30-2022, 03:56 PM
I shot my first big game animal in Aug this year, me and my 11 year old daughter did a fly in goat hunt, I also shot my first deer (second big game animal) last week as well with the same daughter. I can post the pics and stories if you wish

caddisguy
10-30-2022, 04:17 PM
Probably nothing from us this season other than our grouse road hunt thread. I will live through others stories. Here's hoping we see some nice BT drop next couple weeks. Those love sick bucks should already be walking around like zombies with their tongues out drooling all over the place.

ElectricDyck
10-30-2022, 04:19 PM
Its the internet these days..putting pics and stories up is like putting yourself on trial...it gets old.

Also it blows up your spots, If you give me a alpine pic with mountain scenery behind it I can probably figure out the spot using google earth, if I can so can others. Some spots are good because no one elae is there..

That said I miss the stories as well..

MRP
10-30-2022, 04:20 PM
Goat for your first, WOW go big right off the bat, most have to work up to that. You must have good backpack camping experience.

caddisguy
10-30-2022, 04:25 PM
Its the internet these days..putting pics and stories up is like putting yourself on trial...it gets old.

Also it blows up your spots, If you give me a alpine pic with mountain scenery behind it I can probably figure out the spot using google earth, if I can so can others. Some spots are good because no one elae is there..

That said I miss the stories as well..

Easy enough to take pics without showing mountains. You're right about that for sure, one pic with a recognizable land mark will definitely blow up a spot. I miss including scenery shots, but it's easy enough to take pics and crop pics that don't give anything away.

Stories are the best part in my books anyway, something you don't see much of on FB or IG...just "shot this guy yesterday morning" and a pic... yawn... stories is what makes HBC a better platform IMHO.

Avalanche123
10-30-2022, 04:37 PM
I shot my first big game animal in Aug this year, me and my 11 year old daughter did a fly in goat hunt, I also shot my first deer (second big game animal) last week as well with the same daughter. I can post the pics and stories if you wish

Hey glad you and your daughter were successful!:)

caddisguy
10-30-2022, 04:38 PM

Would love to read the story. That one will deserve it's own thread for sure:)

Evanguy
10-30-2022, 04:41 PM
ok ill post both my big game stories, the deer isn't nearly the story the goat is. ill make a new thread to put them in

tigrr
10-30-2022, 04:51 PM
I will never post another story thanks to a few negative contributors.
A few pics and that,s all. That's life.

Arctic Lake
10-30-2022, 05:14 PM
I’m all eyes and ears !
Arctic Lake

caddisguy
10-30-2022, 05:16 PM

I'd miss your bear adventures there for sure. Hope you'll reconsider. Sure there are a few negative types out there that crop up like a pebble in a boot. Maybe I have thick skin but easy to ignore or flick it to the side. Way more positive posters like you in these woods here. Appreciate you!

tinhorse
10-30-2022, 05:20 PM
I've got stories, just time and posting picks. I will get mine up though...

Arctic Lake
10-30-2022, 05:28 PM
Looking forward to it !
Arctic Lake
I've got stories, just time and posting picks. I will get mine up though...

Evanguy
10-30-2022, 05:37 PM
thread made about my goat hunt and first deer.

mike31154
10-30-2022, 09:22 PM
Welp my story so far this year is nada. We had LEH moose & came home empty handed.... tag soup ....

Bigdoggdon
10-30-2022, 10:50 PM
6-1 3 Day Moose GOS was a bust. Grouse hunting has been pretty good this year. Only need another 942 grouse to make up for not getting a moose. Going to look for a MD in late Nov and I've still got winter Elk LEH coming up.

jamfarm
10-31-2022, 07:10 AM
I'm working on my goat hunt story, should be up in a few days

Bugle M In
10-31-2022, 10:23 AM
Won’t have any this year.
Its unfortunate that we don’t see many.
But agree that some who post just get grief by a few individuals and then stop sharing.
In the end, it’s been a pert if the downfall of hbc.
Its one thing for members to argue under the politics or open chat.
But when some take the time to share, it only takes a member to mess it up and that’s it, thise that share just nice in or stop.
A few members/ threads come to mind instantly for me.

Wagonmaster
10-31-2022, 10:56 AM
If you need a hunting story fix, try searching "you tube hunting BC". Tons of video and stories. Likely not members on here, but does the job, I would say.

Spy
10-31-2022, 11:05 AM
I will post a story when I get a chance, I’ve never had one, NOT ONE negative comment when I have posted in the past.. Maybe some people take everything up the wrong way and need a thicker skin.

IronNoggin
10-31-2022, 11:15 AM

By doing this you let the naysayers & dickheads win.

Please reconsider.

Hoping to have a tale or two this fall.
But it may take some time.
Due to the AHD effect on our local blacktails, I am seriously considering (again) forgoing them this season...

Cheers,
Nog

Chewie
10-31-2022, 11:53 AM
Won’t be able to get out this year but I hope to have pictures and a story next year.
If you post pictures and don’t want to give up your spot make sure you erase the data from the photo. A Google search will explain it better than I can.

mike31154
10-31-2022, 12:49 PM
6-1 3 Day Moose GOS was a bust. Grouse hunting has been pretty good this year. Only need another 942 grouse to make up for not getting a moose. Going to look for a MD in late Nov and I've still got winter Elk LEH coming up.

6-1 was our LEH moose hunt. We planned to be up there late September but scheduling issues with group members meant we didn't make it until just a few days prior to the GOS. It got pretty busy for those 3 days but we were relatively undisturbed in the spots we usually hunt. Seems the entire area was a bust for many folks this year. We had success in 2018 & one of the group members has been going there for decades with a good number of moose taken. The only moose we saw taken was a spiker downed by a couple fellows camped at the Chutanli Lake Rec Site south of where we were.

Arctic Lake
11-07-2022, 07:28 PM
Good idea , Thanks !
Arctic Lake
If you need a hunting story fix, try searching "you tube hunting BC". Tons of video and stories. Likely not members on here, but does the job, I would say.

Arctic Lake
11-07-2022, 07:29 PM
Could you explain that a little more ?
Arctic Lake
Won’t be able to get out this year but I hope to have pictures and a story next year.
If you post pictures and don’t want to give up your spot make sure you erase the data from the photo. A Google search will explain it better than I can.

Drillbit
11-08-2022, 02:09 AM
I have had enough successful hunts over the years, so now I choose to “guide” for my kids these days. I enjoy hunting with them and not getting anything, more than going out on my own and getting something. Same for fishing.

My older guy broke his collar bone playing hockey a few weeks ago so we haven’t been able to get out much since then, this fall. Had a few good grouse hunts early, but our season is pretty much over. Gonna try and take the younger guy to get a feral pig this weekend, hopefully that works out.

The old Bigboar stories from back in the day were awesome. Would sure be nice to see more like those

digger dogger
11-08-2022, 05:48 AM
Could you explain that a little more ?
Arctic Lake

Unless you have you location services off on your smartphone, your pics have lat and long attached to the pictures.

HarryToolips
11-08-2022, 08:26 AM
Unless you have you location services off on your smartphone, your pics have lat and long attached to the pictures.
Interesting, I certainly don't see that on any of my pics???

Arctic Lake
11-08-2022, 09:07 AM
Digger I don’t see that when I take a picture with my phone . I haven’t posted a picture from my phone on HBC yet it has been from my laptop taken with my camera . So could you please explain this ?
Arctic Lake

Shaughnles
11-08-2022, 09:39 AM
I had a few firsts this year. First big game animal with a bow. First high country backpack hunt. First elk hunt, didn't bring anything home from that one but I would definitely consider it successful anyway. Got a buddy of mine on his first harvest this year. Very grateful for what this year has brought this far. I have definitely put alot more time in this year than I ever have. However I'm only on my third year of hunting so I'm hopeful that good things keep happening!

digger dogger
11-08-2022, 03:16 PM
Digger I don’t see that when I take a picture with my phone . I haven’t posted a picture from my phone on HBC yet it has been from my laptop taken with my camera . So could you please explain this ?
Arctic Lake

I’m not smartphone or tech savi, but got to
toronto.com, in the menu type smartphone gps pictures, it’ll tell you how to remove the data.
There was a rapper who was recently robbed and I think killed because he posted a pic online with the locations still on.

tyreguy
11-08-2022, 03:25 PM
or you can just take a screenshot of your photo and that will get rid of any location information.
I’m not smartphone or tech savi, but got to
toronto.com, in the menu type smartphone gps pictures, it’ll tell you how to remove the data.
There was a rapper who was recently robbed and I think killed because he posted a pic online with the locations still on.

eatram
11-08-2022, 03:32 PM
Send me your photos; I will wash them of all location data and send them back to you for a reasonable rate.

Huntingtyler123
11-08-2022, 07:13 PM
Black bear this fall and grouse for me so far. Could never figure out posting pics here lol. Held out all October during anybuck because all I was seeing was spikers and one two point. Went out last Sunday and found my real first nice deer in my new area I’m learning, big deep three point buck. If only he showed himself during October I would of taken him. Cold and lots of snow here so I have my fingers crossed

TheObserver
11-09-2022, 08:59 AM

This f***in pisses me off! After all the hard work, gas money and mileage, most importantly sore, sweat and blood and boots falling apart some gomer thief scum can just come a long look at a screen click and scam your hard earned work from you.

There should be some kind of disclaimer that warns you of this. I felt sick when I read that, I should have known better.

Definitely be more selective of what I post here on out, probably nothing until I figure out how to get around it. Was going to start a really good picture thread too. Now I can see why some do not post photos.....

Question is the long&lat also attached with trail cam pics and actual camera's or just smart phones because of the gps/location?

Arctic Lake
11-09-2022, 09:10 AM
I’m still not getting where you fellas see Longitude and Latitude information in a picture taken with a smartphone
Arctic Lake

TheObserver
11-09-2022, 09:22 AM
I’m still not getting where you fellas see Longitude and Latitude information in a picture taken with a smartphone
Arctic Lake

I haven't either AL, but today when I am home I am going to find it and see if it is there or not and I will let you know how and what to do about it, if it is from here on out all of my photos will be scurbbed clean.

It will be in the details or one of the menu options of the photo though

Arctic Lake
11-09-2022, 09:23 AM
Thank You !
Arctic Lake
I haven't either AL, but today when I am home I am going to find it and see if it is there or not and I will let you know how and what to do about it, if it is from here on out all of my photos will be scurbbed clean

Chewie
11-09-2022, 09:53 AM
Arctic Lake

I just did a Google on this phrase. What info is stored on a digital photograph
It brings up different pages which gives you that info and a page that tells you how to scrub that info from your photos if you want to publish them and not have anyone getting your personal info.
On my iPhone all I have to do is pick a photo from my library and swipe up on it and it gives me all the basic stuff. There is more that isn’t displayed but is in there. One thing that is in all pictures is the GPS location. I would post a picture but I can’t make it small enough to satisfy this sites requirements. Which is why I don’t post pictures here.

TheObserver
11-09-2022, 09:59 AM
I just did a Google on this phrase. What info is stored on a digital photograph
It brings up different pages which gives you that info and a page that tells you how to scrub that info from your photos if you want to publish them and not have anyone getting your personal info.
On my iPhone all I have to do is pick a photo from my library and swipe up on it and it gives me all the basic stuff. There is more that isn’t displayed but is in there. One thing that is in all pictures is the GPS location. I would post a picture but I can’t make it small enough to satisfy this sites requirements. Which is why I don’t post pictures here.

Does it give your gps location if you upload the photo from your phone to your laptop? And if you then upload it to imgur then post it on here?

Or is it only if your posting straight from your phone to here?

Chewie
11-09-2022, 10:17 AM
Does it give your gps location if you upload the photo from your phone to your laptop? And if you then upload it to imgur then post it on here?

Or is it only if you’re posting straight from your phone to here?

I Googled ‘does metadata stay imbedded in photographs posted to social media’. It appears as though ‘most’ social media sites scrub the data from photos so stalkers and others can’t get this type of info along with other reasons.
If one is concerned about the metadata contained in photographs it may be a wise move to scrub the data before publishing just to have peace of mind. You can do it with a few clicks of a mouse on your computer.

TheObserver
11-09-2022, 10:27 AM
For sure man thanks!

I'll be looking into this thoroughly tonight when i'm home

Arctic Lake
11-09-2022, 10:55 AM
Geeeezzz . I can’t stand not being tech savvy ! I will need some coaching on this going forward but as mentioned any photos I have posted on here came from my Canon Sure Shot then downloaded to my laptop then on to Imgur and on to here . I think ! But then maybe I don’t think and that’s the problem !
Arctic Lake

upperleftcoaster
11-09-2022, 12:06 PM
imgur automatically strips all EXIF and metadata on upload

https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/201746817-Post-Privacy-Settings

plus they generate the [ img ] BBCode links for you with resizing options

Skull Hunter
11-09-2022, 01:59 PM
The gps data generally does not transfer when posting to forums or social media. If you text a picture or perhaps email a picture that was taken on your phone it will have the lat/long attached to it. On an iphone it's easy to turn this off settings>privacy>location services> scroll down to the camera and turn it off.

browningboy
11-09-2022, 09:29 PM
This year was crap for us, one quick weekend and that was it, just grouse.. friends were in tougher times

tinhorse
11-10-2022, 05:54 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2370150

Here is my moose story. I made it long and drawn out as there haven't been many posts this year

rocksteady
11-12-2022, 04:30 PM
Post a story and pics, then wait for the criticism...

Antler size
Camouflage pattern
Strategy to harvest
Shot placement
Rifle caliber
What quad used to get it out of woods
What kind of truck you got it out with..

Its the internet.. if you don't post you don't get criticized... pretty sad world.

Evanguy
11-12-2022, 05:19 PM
Post a story and pics, then wait for the criticism...

Antler size
Camouflage pattern
Strategy to harvest
Shot placement
Rifle caliber
What kind of truck you got it out with..

Its the internet.. if you don't post you don't get criticized... pretty sad world.

I do see that happening on some posts but not all.

I posted a story from my trip in Aug and only got loads of positive feed back on it, but I didn't tell the story like I think I know it all or brag about any of it though.

out of your list I would have assumed I got blown up with criticism, but honestly people liked the lack of cammo and the old school rifle and didn't care the goat was small, they were all genuinely happy for me and was glad i posted it (TNOHF, HBC, CGN)

Antler size
--- very small it was a thin 8" goat

Camouflage pattern
--- non blue jeans with a tee shirt that has a picture of sasquatch on it

Strategy to harvest
--- shoot the first billy I see

Shot placement
--- where ever the bullet hit, lucky for me it was the heart

Rifle caliber
--- 303 British in a Lee Enfield with iron sights

--- carried it to out pick up spot

What kind of truck you got it out with
--- a rental hyundai elantra

HarryToolips
11-12-2022, 05:32 PM
I do see that happening on some posts but not all.

I posted a story from my trip in Aug and only got loads of positive feed back on it, but I didn't tell the story like I think I know it all or brag about any of it though.

out of your list I would have assumed I got blown up with criticism, but honestly people liked the lack of cammo and the old school rifle and didn't care the goat was small, they were all genuinely happy for me and was glad i posted it (TNOHF, HBC, CGN)

Antler size
--- very small it was a thin 8" goat

Camouflage pattern
--- non blue jeans with a tee shirt that has a picture of sasquatch on it

Strategy to harvest
--- shoot the first billy I see

Shot placement
--- where ever the bullet hit, lucky for me it was the heart

Rifle caliber
--- 303 British in a Lee Enfield with iron sights

--- carried it to out pick up spot

What kind of truck you got it out with
--- a rental hyundai elantra

Lol love the non-conventional methods... I also have a Lee Enfield 303, love those rifles...