PDA

View Full Version : How long do you wait?

Nailgunslinger
11-28-2007, 11:30 PM
On average how long would you wait if you spooked an awesome blacktail buck in an area you know hes been frequenting before trying that area again?

hunter1947
11-29-2007, 06:45 AM
I would hammer the area the next day ,i read an article on spooking game animals. The author said if you spook something and don't chase after it ,sit down for a 30 min and wait. You then have given the animal long enough to settle down ,he said they have short memories and soon forget what happened to them in a while. I know i have tried this after it happened to me and it has paid off for me ,especially on whitetail deer.

BlacktailStalker
11-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Thats right. They dont go far either when spooked. Usually they'll hook above you or below you to see if you're following them, usually within 100 yards. Unlike mulies or whitetails, blacktails are curious, they want to know what they're running from so unless you're in obvious hot pursuit of them, he will likely be within sight or hearing (his).
Blacktails have a small territory too. He'll be around there.

Wildman
11-29-2007, 08:40 AM
I've noticed that they will even back track in their own tracks and jump to the side of their trail. They always seem to back track or hook around, even once they are shot.

Nailgunslinger
11-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Would you include going back into the same area if say you smashed your scope falling down a ravine and missed the buck of a lifetime because you were too excited and stupid to sight it in again? :oops:

Steeleco
11-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Yup, go get the back up rifle and gitter done!!!!

Wildman
11-29-2007, 10:30 AM
I usually wait for a few weeks........never paid off yet though. I'm not sure if it's because I wait too long or if the buggers are just more wary now that they have been spooked or shot?! They are smarter than we think.

Nailgunslinger
11-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Well I guess the day after isn't it lol , wasn't there today only fawn sign. I did see a tall spike about 300 yards away in the next slash all the good parts covered by limbs and twigs(At least I'm seeing bucks now, and the big guy that I spooked and followed some stank like hell had 3 does with him too..late rut I spose), but alas I did not want to gut shot him so he lives for another day...the doe in my freezer is getting mighty lonely, hope I can give her some company before the seasons over...might be bow season on texada for me lol.:wink:

Gateholio
11-30-2007, 12:46 AM
My non pro opinion is that if ou sppook a deer, back out-qiet, andcome back the next day, but EXTRA quiet. This time of year, they are after does, and they will not stray too far from them:cool:

RMG
11-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Never hunted coastal black tails, but or our interiour deers it really depends on how badly they were spooked. If I see him still running over the rise 3 hills in yonder distance, I give my self major shit for not doing a decent job. Most of the time, a buck will run a bit, then settle right back down to normal self, if he is not pushed. Sit down, have a ponder and get back at em. Thats what I do, and has payed off many times, of course the snow on the ground makes for some of the best, most successful hunting imagineable.

Nailgunslinger
11-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Never hunted coastal black tails, but or our interiour deers it really depends on how badly they were spooked. If I see him still running over the rise 3 hills in yonder distance, I give my self major shit for not doing a decent job. Most of the time, a buck will run a bit, then settle right back down to normal self, if he is not pushed. Sit down, have a ponder and get back at em. Thats what I do, and has payed off many times, of course the snow on the ground makes for some of the best, most successful hunting imagineable.

:-) Oh god how I wish I could see 3 hills away on that guy lol, around here in the mountains im lucky to see 30 feet past the entrance into the treeline, unless your hunting clearcuts but there usually on the edge and then when there gone into thick stuff you wouldn't wish on anyone. I could have gut shot him after I spooked him (all that was open).....but I'm not into that, I guess I'll give it time ..theres always next year I spose, sucks that theres an awesome grouse trail right next to where he was too I can't even shoot em cause I don't want to spook him outta there.:frown:

rock
11-30-2007, 11:49 PM
I'll walk the opposite way from the spooked deer to give him the idea I'm leaving then I find a good vantage point give it a half hour and try and bleat him in worked a few times not all the time but it only takes once, blacktails can be very curious animals.