PDA

View Full Version : Last Crack at my LEH Doe

Orangethunder
11-28-2007, 09:49 PM
With the 30th looming and no more days to get out my brother and I thought we would go for it. We have both been chasing deer all month but we have been putting the effort into finding a good buck. We have both had some good chances and I personally have blown it on some great bucks, oh well!!

We got to our spot and were greeted with fresh tracks right where we were parking. I hopped out and had a look, big, big, big wolf!! Those buggers already spoiled a day for us across the valley in some selective cuts and now they were here. Oh well might as well work the area and see just how spooky everything was. We made plans to work about 5-600 yards apart eventually meeting up and then regrouping.

About 10 minutes after we split up I cut a big track, buck this time. He appeared to be chasing some does but I couldn't really tell how old they were so I kept going. Further along I crept to the edge of a large draw and I could hear a deer walking in the bottom. I did my best to get close but nothing doing. All I found was what looked like my doe tracks bounding away. I followed for about an hour and couldn't get close again so I worked my way towards where my bro was headed.

Another hour or so later I cut more wolf tracks, about a day old. I back tracked them for a bit and then cut some fresh deer tracks heading in the right direction. A half hour later I could hear ravens squawking so I set up and did some glassing. I finally spotted what they were after. It looked like the wolves had gotten a doe the day before. No wolves though. I was running a bit late by this time so I started whistling every so often to get his attention. I kept heading his way and still nothing. Did he get one? I hadn't heard a shot. Did he twist an ankle and head back to the vehicle? I decided to cut across the hill and try and cut his tracks.

I stopped and whistled again but he must have been out of earshot. Took another couple of steps and looked up to see a deer materialize in the brush. Right on it must be my doe. Quick look with the binos and damn it there is an antler. Look again and is that a drop tine? He isn't massive but I liked what I saw so I threw up the .280 and let him have it. He dropped from sight but I could hear him moving. As I crested a small rise he was just getting to his feet. Another quick shot and he was down.

Here is where he fell, three feet from his bed.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/Orangethunder/SD530845.jpg

Not a hog but pretty decent, I did some celebrating and took some pics and then struck out to find my brother. Turns out he was only 300 yards away and he had heard the shot. Time for a few more pics.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/Orangethunder/SD530850.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/Orangethunder/SD530861.jpg

We had a look at the GPS and only 2km to the vehicle. No pack frames, like idiots we only brough our day packs. He was a big bodied deer too. We halfed him and had him out in about 4 hours. It was a bit of a grunt but worth it.

Cheers

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Thats a sweet buck with tons of character,I love the double droppers.I would rather shoot a buck like that than many basic 4 x4 frames that score way higher. Big time congrats and crack a cold one for me.:-|

MIL720
11-28-2007, 09:56 PM
nice deer...love the double drop tines

MattB
11-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Nice buck! Look at them shoulders eh Terry?:shock:

steveo32
11-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Nice buck congrats! I take it the moose draw was a bust? Maybe see you next year in the same spot :)

steve

Orangethunder
11-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Nice buck congrats! I take it the moose draw was a bust? Maybe see you next year in the same spot :)

steve

The wolves made it tough to find the moose:-x.

Untouchable
11-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Thats a sweet looking deer. I'd get him mounted up just because of the double drops. Great job man!

LeverActionJunkie
11-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Nice buck congratulations.

dana
11-28-2007, 10:23 PM
OT,
That is one sweet Character Buck!!! Congrats to ya. I know you hunted hard this month. That is a great buck to be rewarded with.:cool:

.308win
11-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Nice buck Bud!!!....Two nice character bucks back to back!!...this one is just a tad bigger than mine!......If that thing scores 160, mine would maybe go....16! Congrats!!!

Perry

hunter1947
11-29-2007, 07:02 AM
That is a real nice set of antlers that he has for head gear ,are you going to get a head mount on him???. Congrats.

TIKKA TIGER
11-29-2007, 10:44 AM
That's an awesome buck... No question in my mind that this buck should have a head mount done... Love the drop tines... Congrats!!!

MB_Boy
11-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I gotta echo the earlier posts.....nice buck....not huge, but those double droppers are awesome!!

Orangethunder
11-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I will be doing a European type mount on this guy, kinda like what Dana did with MNT. My next shoulder mount has to be a big typical so I will wait until then. I just couldn't pass on this one though.

Dana- your right on there, I put on as many miles as I ever had and it was the perfect end to it all. A double dropper plus I got to do it with my brother, couldn't ask for a better hunt.

Perry- that tag finally got loose eh? I thought that all that time I spent preaching to you about waiting until November worked last year? Glad to here you topped up the freezer though.

Cheers

Tikka7mm
11-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Nice deer! That's a shooter any day of the week. I know it's been siad already...but those are some nice double droppers. Congrats.

JAFA
11-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Good on you Orange! Thats one beautiful buck!
Well done!
Jim.

Wildman
11-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Deffinatly an awesome buck. I too love the double drop tines!

cbearw
11-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Congrats on a great buck! That rack really is special. Well done!!:smile:

beeker
11-29-2007, 05:06 PM
double dropper... gotta love it!! ***eneh!!

GoatGuy
11-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Muley on flat ground? Where's the 45 degree incline? :lol:

Nice buck.

Congrats.

~Hunter~
11-29-2007, 05:52 PM
where abouts did you take that?

Will
11-29-2007, 05:53 PM
One Helluva doe ! :lol: ;-)

Nice Buck....Love the drops 8)

Orangethunder
11-29-2007, 07:21 PM
where abouts did you take that?

Right next to a 45 degree slope, above a creek, across from a farm off of the...:tongue:

In region 3, home of the antlered doe...

legal-hunter
11-29-2007, 11:57 PM
haha good one orange thunder my favrite one is when people ask that in the bush on a road by a tree by a creek lol

hunter1947
11-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I will be doing a European type mount on this guy, kinda like what Dana did with MNT. My next shoulder mount has to be a big typical so I will wait until then. I just couldn't pass on this one though.

Dana- your right on there, I put on as many miles as I ever had and it was the perfect end to it all. A double dropper plus I got to do it with my brother, couldn't ask for a better hunt.

Perry- that tag finally got loose eh? I thought that all that time I spent preaching to you about waiting until November worked last year? Glad to here you topped up the freezer though.

Cheers Over the years a few of my hunting partners have said to me why don't you slow down and walk slower ,you might see more animals ????. I said i have always been successful pushing it hard in the bush putting the miles on ,if walking slow when there aren't many animals in the area ,your chances of finding one is a lot slimer then if you cover 5 times the ground. It has worked for me over my hunting Carrier so why change.

Orangethunder
12-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Over the years a few of my hunting partners have said to me why don't you slow down and walk slower ,you might see more animals ????. I said i have always been successful pushing it hard in the bush putting the miles on ,if walking slow when there aren't many animals in the area ,your chances of finding one is a lot slimer then if you cover 5 times the ground. It has worked for me over my hunting Carrier so why change.

I am kinda on both sides of this one. Typically I go quite slowly. If I find its noisy anyway I sometimes pick up the pace. Either way I find that I have to stop quite often to look and listen or I just spook critters.

On a seperate note I recovered a bullet from my deer. The first shot was a through and through. The second was chest on. It broke the sternum, passed through one lung and then broke most of the ribs on one side before stopping just in front of the hind quarter. I was shooting 140 grain Accubonds at ~3000fps at the muzzle. It was about a 20yd shot so the bullet was still moving pretty good. I just wieghed it at 98grains. Not bad in my opinion.

Cheers