PDA

View Full Version : I'm at a cross roads in my hunting career

Norwestalta
10-21-2022, 05:39 PM
Well it seems that the spark I used to have for hunting is getting dimmer and dimmer every passing season. At 50 years old I've hunted and shot just about everything I've wanted to with the exception of a mule deer and a Dahl sheep. My kids hunt but are to busy making a living. My grandchildren are to young yet with the oldest just turned 3. With the ups and downs of the alberta oil patch I myself can't commit to time off to go hunting because putting loot in the bank has become a priority where before I'd quit a job to go hunting. Lol
I'm at a cross roads in my mind on selling most of my guns and trading the hunting boots for snowshoes so I can more actively trap, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Anyone gone through this? I'm hoping it's just a passing phase and if not what did you do to rekindle the passion that you once had for hunting?

RugDoctor
10-21-2022, 05:43 PM
Passing phase for sure. Keep your stuff, take a little time off for other stuff and wait for the hunger to come back. It’s in your blood, and it doesn’t just go away. Even if you never return to the fanaticism you may have once had, your passion will reignite.

Norwestalta
10-21-2022, 06:05 PM
Passing phase for sure. Keep your stuff, take a little time off for other stuff and wait for the hunger to come back. It’s in your blood, and it doesn’t just go away. Even if you never return to the fanaticism you may have once had, your passion will reignite.

Spring beaver hunting gets the passion going. Seems since we've bought the farm everything is a chip shot and has become boring. I hunt within 5 miles from home. Last couple of years I've been buying tags for everything but only wanting to shoot my cow elk for the table.

dino
10-21-2022, 06:15 PM
Well it seems that the spark I used to have for hunting is getting dimmer and dimmer every passing season. At 50 years old I've hunted and shot just about everything I've wanted to with the exception of a mule deer and a Dahl sheep. My kids hunt but are to busy making a living. My grandchildren are to young yet with the oldest just turned 3. With the ups and downs of the alberta oil patch I myself can't commit to time off to go hunting because putting loot in the bank has become a priority where before I'd quit a job to go hunting. Lol
I'm at a cross roads in my mind on selling most of my guns and trading the hunting boots for snowshoes so I can more actively trap, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Anyone gone through this? I'm hoping it's just a passing phase and if not what did you do to rekindle the passion that you once had for hunting?

I hear ya. The mountains still call me but not like they used to. I just got back from a hunt up top and my knees, back, legs and traps are killing me. I used to run up the mountains. I now almost force myself to go.
I think it's normal to take a step back and re evaluate what you enjoy.

Bugle M In
10-21-2022, 06:41 PM
Considering some of the dilemma I found myself in these days, I am at the same crossroads albeit slightly different reasons.
If the situation remains the same by next season, I might be hanging them up as well.
Wont be selling anything however.
Not like I will make much off of it.
Somwtimes being away from it, and then going back at it in a couple of years is all that is needed to rekindle things.

Arctic Lake
10-21-2022, 06:50 PM
Norwestalta
Why don’t you mentor someone who would gain from you knowledge . Doesn’t need to be a young person there are plenty of middle aged fellas who struggle with “ What am I doing wrong “ and question their tactics .
Might make a great friend !
Arctic Lake

dino
10-21-2022, 06:58 PM
The older I get everything I used to enjoy becomes work.

Norwestalta
10-21-2022, 07:06 PM
Norwestalta
Why don’t you mentor someone who would gain from you knowledge . Doesn’t need to be a young person there are plenty of middle aged fellas who struggle with “ What am I doing wrong “ and question their tactics .
Arctic Lake

I know what you mean and yes I enjoy that. Problem is work. With my job I don't typically get holidays. It's feast or famine. The fall and winter is typically my busy time with spring bringing breakup and lean times. Don and Jim are supposed to be coming up here one day as well as Otto and Kieran. These guys don't need mentoring but do need a little advanced notice. Sometimes I don't know a day ahead what I'm doing let alone a week or two. Generally when the phone rings I gotta go if I don't the phone stops ringing. One of the great pleasures of being self employed.

One of the things I've found guiding or mentoring is I put more pressure on myself to find that animal for them then I normally would for myself.

Norwestalta
10-21-2022, 07:07 PM
The older I get everything I used to enjoy becomes work.

Ain't that the truth.

Sitkaspruce
10-21-2022, 07:14 PM
I kind of struggled with this years ago. Wondered why I hunted and such, so took a couple years off and tried to find other interesting things to do.....late season fishing, snowshoeing, downhill skiing, etc. I kept guiding as I really enjoyed that. But chasing elk, moose and deer was not interesting anymore.

I had to find something that was challenging me and was interesting. I found it in trail cams; building my own home brews, placing them in the bush and seeing what was around. It became an obsession and from that, the challenge was to target a certain animal and hunt that animal. It got the interest back up and I started hunting again. Then to challenge myself even more, I picked up the bow again and started shooting 3D and "stump shooting". Now I hunt with a crossbow as I have Essential Tremour that affects my bow shooting accuracy.

Try to find something that challenges you and maybe it ignites the flames again.

And, as someone who a few years older than you and experienced some of the same things you mentioned, the pay cheque should not be running your life. Years ago, we switched from "live to work" to "work to live" and enjoy the benefits.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

Norwestalta
10-21-2022, 07:24 PM
Sitka glad to hear I'm not the only one. Like you I really enjoy going out and checking the trail cam pics. I think that's what I like about the trapping. I'm not necessarily targeting a specific animal but certainly a specific species.

A year off being sick, then economic down turns and a pandemic makes a pay cheque very important. Luckily only 5 years then mortgage free. Yeeyee.

tigrr
10-21-2022, 07:25 PM
I had never heard the term "work starts when the animals falls'. NOW I LIVE IT. 62 and counting.
I am looking at a spot to rent to go ice fishing more often.

RiverOtter
10-21-2022, 07:27 PM
I hear ya. I've definitely done a fair bit less hunting the last few years, but I'm not too worried about it. I travel more, fish more and take more pictures. If you're withdrawing from recreation all together, I'd be concerned, but if your filling your hunting time with other outdoor pursuits, then I'd just roll with it and enjoy every day.

KBC
10-21-2022, 07:44 PM
I’m in the same boat for different reasons. I suck at it and 8 years or so in with only a couple big game animals down, the hunting trips aren’t fun anymore with all the pressure I feel to get some meat. I’ve spent lots of time feeling successful with lessons learned and seeing cool things but there comes a point you get sick of the comments, jokes or hearing your mother in law say “Nothing? Awwwwwww” not to mention the empty freezer and stupid money spent getting out there.

MOOSE MILK
10-21-2022, 07:47 PM
80 plus years and still can't sleep the night before leaving on a hunting trip, used to only get away once a year for big game now that I am retired I try to get away as often as I can, spring bear, deer on the island and mainland moose and try to work in an elk trip.

Keta1969
10-21-2022, 07:53 PM
You're not the only one. I still enjoy hunting just not as rabid about as I once was. For me recently semi just about full time retired I find I enjoy getting out looking reading the sign seeing animals but I'm not nearly as quick on the trigger as I once was. Some of that is just the wife and I at home now but that's not all of it. Heading off with the 3 sons next week and I have a grand daughter starting this year so I like that aspect of it. I've been trying to figure it out, it's kind of weird looking at bucks and not shooting them. Without getting to philosophical it feels like appreciating life even a deers life as I get older.

Bustercluck
10-21-2022, 07:56 PM
Filming and making videos. Put all of your tips and tricks on YouTube or something similar.

Ive never really cared about taking an animal, it’s always been more about being outside and taking in the experience. I just started packing a dslr and my tripod. We’ll see how it goes.

Norwestalta
10-21-2022, 08:13 PM
I’m in the same boat for different reasons. I suck at it and 8 years or so in with only a couple big game animals down, the hunting trips aren’t fun anymore with all the pressure I feel to get some meat. I’ve spent lots of time feeling successful with lessons learned and seeing cool things but there comes a point you get sick of the comments, jokes or hearing your mother in law say “Nothing? Awwwwwww” not to mention the empty freezer and stupid money spent getting out there.

Ya that don't help being pressured. I've been pretty fortunate that the wife has been somewhat supportive except for when I took a whole 6 weeks off. Quit my job to go hunting lol. That didn't impress her much. I wouldn't get to discouraged. If it's something you enjoy keep with it. I don't know what you're hunting but getting skunked isn't always a bad thing (happens to us all) because every hunting excursion has its own unique tale and is never the same. I'm fortunate that I can hunt from my kitchen window and that is possibly why I'm at the cross roads I'm at. I don't and haven't for years explored a new cutline or a new oilfield/logging road. May that's what I'm missing is the adventure of what's over that hill or around that bend.

KBC
10-21-2022, 08:19 PM
My wife is fine with it. It’s the pressure I’ve started to put on myself knowing it’s harder for her and the kids while I’m gone. It’s good to fail gracefully in front of your kids once in awhile but maybe not every time ha.

scoutlt1
10-21-2022, 08:26 PM
Ya that don't help being pressured. I've been pretty fortunate that the wife has been somewhat supportive except for when I took a whole 6 weeks off. Quit my job to go hunting lol. That didn't impress her much. I wouldn't get to discouraged. If it's something you enjoy keep with it. I don't know what you're hunting but getting skunked isn't always a bad thing (happens to us all) because every hunting excursion has its own unique tale and is never the same. I'm fortunate that I can hunt from my kitchen window and that is possibly why I'm at the cross roads I'm at. I don't and haven't for years explored a new cutline or a new oilfield/logging road. May that's what I'm missing is the adventure of what's over that hill or around that bend.

Sounds like you need to book an Africa hunt, or some helicopter hog hunting in the states :-)

Although I still look forward to fall, and getting out there, I have to say the days long pack hunts/hikes have become a rarity. While I still get off the road, seems like the more the years go by the more I like the benefits of a heated seat and steering wheel on those frosty mornings!

Arctic Lake
10-21-2022, 08:33 PM
I hear ya and the “ What you didn’t catch anything “ “ No didn’t catch anything “ Hunting is not like an STD ! You don’t catch the animals you kill them ooops harvest them !
Arctic Lakeg

Arctic Lake
10-21-2022, 08:35 PM
Well hunting with those first two mentioned Hmmmm. Ha Ha Ha LOl There far and away above my level !
Arctic Lake
I know what you mean and yes I enjoy that. Problem is work. With my job I don't typically get holidays. It's feast or famine. The fall and winter is typically my busy time with spring bringing breakup and lean times. Don and Jim are supposed to be coming up here one day as well as Otto and Kieran. These guys don't need mentoring but do need a little advanced notice. Sometimes I don't know a day ahead what I'm doing let alone a week or two. Generally when the phone rings I gotta go if I don't the phone stops ringing. One of the great pleasures of being self employed.

One of the things I've found guiding or mentoring is I put more pressure on myself to find that animal for them then I normally would for myself.

Norwestalta
10-21-2022, 08:39 PM
I hear ya and the “ What you didn’t catch anything “ “ No didn’t catch anything “ Hunting is not like an STD ! You don’t catch the animals you kill them ooops harvest them !
Arctic Lakeg

Sorry but this makes me laugh. You guys hunt like I trap. I told the wife how much money was in it. I neglected to tell her that the money was going out at the time. She's keeping close tabs on the marten count. Figure I only need to catch 1500 marten and 25000 squirrels to break even for the last couple years.

KBC
10-21-2022, 09:03 PM
Arctic Lakeg
Hahaha yep. My MIL is great but damn when I hear her every time I get home without something it’s like nails on a chalk board.

KBC
10-21-2022, 09:05 PM
Sorry but this makes me laugh. You guys hunt like I trap. I told the wife how much money was in it. I neglected to tell her that the money was going out at the time. She's keeping close tabs on the marten count. Figure I only need to catch 1500 marten and 25000 squirrels to break even for the last couple years.
That should be easy shouldn’t it :lol:

Norwestalta
10-21-2022, 09:11 PM
That should be easy shouldn’t it :lol:

One would think but I suck at trapping. Lol

REMINGTON JIM
10-21-2022, 09:15 PM
One would think but I suck at trapping. Lol

1500 Martens is going to be a HUGH problem then :p:lol: RJ

Norwestalta
10-21-2022, 09:38 PM
1500 Martens is going to be a HUGH problem then :p:lol: RJ

1493 to be exact. Caught 7 last year. No market for the flying squirrel I caught so I only have to catch 24998 because I think the weasel I caught equals 2 squirrel.

upperleftcoaster
10-21-2022, 09:47 PM

my goal is to be BC's foremost squirrel trapper. lots of pelts to go...top quality was $2 a fur, so gotta hustle!! also you can send tails to Mepps for credit buying fishing gear.

hunting is my new go to, with all my energy. used to have another obsession that took the same kind of commitment and money, it's just transferred now to this after over 15 years of the other one. It's not that i don't like what i did for so long, but life goes on, so to say.

if you are of the type that can dedicate the focus to hunting or trapping then your next pursuit will be equally meaningful and fulfilling. when you find that next thing, hunting related or not, you will know. good luck on your journey :)

wildcatter
10-21-2022, 10:04 PM

Blaine I still would like to take that trip with Jim and others, but my life is in the twilight zone.
I recall some insane solo trips in the mountains that took more than I thought, so a few times
ended up in a pretty tough spot, however I enjoyed every one of them.
Right now every day I wake up is a good day and I realise I can't be like I once was.
Still like to go out, take a gun and look around, but the fire once was burning is barely a flicker now.

Norwestalta
10-21-2022, 10:09 PM
my goal is to be BC's foremost squirrel trapper. lots of pelts to go...top quality was $2 a fur, so gotta hustle!! also you can send tails to Mepps for credit buying fishing gear.

hunting is my new go to, with all my energy. used to have another obsession that took the same kind of commitment and money, it's just transferred now to this after over 15 years of the other one. It's not that i don't like what i did for so long, but life goes on, so to say.

if you are of the type that can dedicate the focus to hunting or trapping then your next pursuit will be equally meaningful and fulfilling. when you find that next thing, hunting related or not, you will know. good luck on your journey :)

Thanks. Yes trapping has replaced hunting somewhat in my hobbies. Skidooing, quading, chainsaw and brush saw work is enjoyable. Lol. The line is right here at home. Got a cabin along the creek and a nice skinning shack at home. Life is good.

Ponderosa Pine
10-21-2022, 10:13 PM
There is a season for everything. Don't sell your gear, the passion will come back around with time and stability. You mentioned work pressure and being sick recently...your brain will give hunting a back seat at such times. As some wrote above mixing it up with a bow or apprentice of sorts or even getting very calculated in the target game would likely stoke the fire. For me there is nothing that stokes the fire more than seeing a newer hunter have success. When my kids were very young I wanted to want to hunt but more pressing issues paused that desire for that season of life.

Norwestalta
10-21-2022, 10:13 PM
Blaine I still would like to take that trip with Jim and others, but my life is in the twilight zone.
I recall some insane solo trips in the mountains that took more than I thought, so a few times
ended up in a pretty tough spot, however I enjoyed every one of them.
Right now every day I wake up is a good day and I realise I can't be like I once was.
Still like to go out, take a gun and look around, but the fire once was burning is barely a flicker now.

We'll get you over here sometime. I was figuring this year might of been the one but I was going broke working at the mine so I took a grader job for the oil company. If it starts snowing there won't be any time off or I'll be replaced and have lots of time off. Lol

tylerduce
10-21-2022, 11:26 PM
Norwestalta
Arctic Lake

This. You have a wealth of knowledge and experience that many would die for. Consider writing your hunting stories down. Create a hunting journal/memoir. Or record them in digital format. I have a great uncle who was a trapper for over 50 years and a grandfather that hunted and I wish they had written and recorded more of their outdoor adventures. You never know. You might have a grandchild or future daughter or son-in-law who could really benefit. Consider it part of your legacy to future generations.

Avalanche123
10-22-2022, 06:24 AM
Happened to me in 2007...so I went guiding and that opened up a world of cool opportunities. Still try and draw the odd LEH but I get my itch scratched by taking others (clients) out. I just finished another season and now look forward to my winter goat LEH....

I get your point (OP), but I wouldn't sell everything. BC is in a bit of a mess right now and that has contributed to waning interest IMO.

MRP
10-22-2022, 07:22 AM
I’m getting close to 65 and on disability. I’ve thought about giving it up, even sold or gave away some of the stuff I have 3 or 4 of. But for the most part I’m keeping all my hunting stuff. As my dad used to say “ It eating no oats sitting there”, so as long as it not costing me money I’m going to keep it.
To me I’ve made it more about the trip than the harvest and work smarter not harder, truck, winch, longer rope, boat, quad, hoist.

This is is my next purchase. https://www.amazon.ca/VEVOR-Polyester-Pull-Tape-Functions/dp/B09BB87F52/ref=d_pd_sbs_sccl_3_3/147-8163189-3746426?pd_rd_w=xhliR&content-id=amzn1.sym.cd949bb3-28b2-48f4-9c3b-7259e3470a97&pf_rd_p=cd949bb3-28b2-48f4-9c3b-7259e3470a97&pf_rd_r=W4GQFGN8DN3E0PT0RD5B&pd_rd_wg=O83g9&pd_rd_r=376b3ae1-e52c-4262-a31b-8b07ad106780&pd_rd_i=B09BB87F52&psc=1

browningboy
10-22-2022, 07:56 AM
Just do what makes you happy, grind out 5 years, mortgage free then a lot of options open for sure and the pressures off! I was up your way a few weeks ago and beautiful country, elk paradise! I find as I get older I don’t really have the same love for things I used to love doing?

Weatherby Fan
10-22-2022, 07:58 AM
The need to go Hunting isn’t quite as strong as when I was younger but I think I enjoy hunting more now than when younger, I’m always looking for a certain size Mule deer which are few and far between in BC. so mentally I know I’ll go home empty handed most years and I’m ok with that.

I enjoy the solitude, the peacefulness, the scenery, the smell of a fresh Sept morning in the Alpine or a cold Nov morning with 6 inches of fresh powder snow, taking pictures of animals, I rarely shoot anything anymore and that’s the beauty of hunting now as I don’t have to shoot something,

I enjoy the camper more now than a Thermarest at 6500’ in the alpine !

I can let a buck walk with only a picture or not see a legal deer and still have a great trip.

I enjoy the shooting of my hunting rifle at the range and target shooting at longer ranges as well, handloading has become a big part of my hunting hobby.

Don’t put the pressure of you have to go hunting or have to kill something on yourself, so when you do decide to go hunting you’ll enjoy the trip much more.

Citori54
10-22-2022, 07:59 AM
The last two years I was not able to get out on our annual moose hunt for the first time in almost 30 years due to a death in the family and an injury. This year we got a shared moose hunt LEH and I didn't realize how much I missed it. To me it was one of the best hunts I've had and I've been hunting for over 50 years. Yes, things hurt more than they once did, but I am still able to walk 10+ km a day if required. We were successful and harvested both bulls with one being the toughest to retrieve of our lives: had to track a wounded bull for over 5 hours before I finally finished him (first time I have had to track a moose I shot in 35 years). That was the good news, the bad news was he ended up 500 yards from the nearest road in a dense pine stand which took 4 hours to cut in a trail for the quads to recover it. BY the time it was hung and skinned it was midnight. At 65 I was exhausted, but loved every minute of it.

Take a break from hunting and I would wager you will return to it and once again enjoy it. If not, then you can consider selling your gear then.

HappyJack
10-22-2022, 08:26 AM
Hunting the same spots that are close to home can give you the duldrums sometimes too. I found it peaked my interest a lot when I had to learn a new area, find the water holes and the preferred travel routes of the game animals, the mineral licks and such.

It also helps to have a couple of people along on the adventure that you really get along with and can have a lot of laughs around camp.

Bugle M In
10-22-2022, 09:53 AM
Interesting and unfortunate thread.
I agree, hunting the same areas can be great, and bad and I can see the doldrums kicking in especially when hunting is slow or gets bad in an area.
And finding an area that produces and be equally hard and frustrating, which then doesn’t help when you are losing the drive to hunt.
And I can relate to the money vs hunting dilemma that now is bigger than ever.
I also find that my hunting partner doesn’t have the same drive nor stamina due to age and lack of staying fit.
A hunting partner that comes with energy can help for sure.
Its a crossroad many find ourselves at as we age.
It becomes work with age especially if the passion is missing.
Taking the grandchildren may help.
But I have no answers for you when having to work to make money gets in the way of hunting.
Maybe just carry on with work for now and see if something else springs up.

Elkaddict
10-22-2022, 11:01 AM
Hang in there Norwestalta, at least until the paycheque doesn't rule the day. A lot of the pleasure of hunting returned when I was able to hunt when I wanted and not when I had to ie: vacation or days off. Also, when you reach that point you'll hopefully be able to travel further afield without the worries of missing a job or missing a paycheque and get back to exploring new territory and experiencing new things to keep the flame alive.

I feel the need to pull the trigger less and less every year, but being out there "hunting" puts me in a mode where I think I see and experience much more than if I were just trudging from point A to point B. That's one of the reasons hunting is so enjoyable to me, it's all the stuff I come home with that that isn't meat.

emerson
10-23-2022, 02:53 AM
Same problem with work for me. I can’t take time off; need the $$ too bad.

ratherbefishin
10-23-2022, 08:04 AM
I’m 75,mainly enjoy going with the kids and grandkids now.sitting around the campfire, cooking ,telling lies,shooting chickens …I’ve passed on a few rifles and get great pleasure out of that..Just don’t have the balance I used to do so if I walk, I stay on trails.climbing over deadfall’s and steep slopes is a recipe for disaster .

Norwestalta
10-28-2022, 06:53 PM
Well I've been out the last couple days doing a little trapping prep and some grouse hunting. Limited out on ruffles today and had a great time.

Imdone
10-28-2022, 07:27 PM
And that's what it's all about.

Don't get rid of your things. You will wish you didn't

Bugle M In
10-28-2022, 07:47 PM
Sometimes you only appreciate things once they are gone.
Done force it, you’ll just ponder it more.
Eventually the call of the wild returns in us.
Glad it was a good outing!

Norwestalta
10-28-2022, 08:04 PM
Sometimes you only appreciate things once they are gone.
Done force it, you’ll just ponder it more.
Eventually the call of the wild returns in us.
Glad it was a good outing!

True enough. Been a longtime since I chicken hunted. Good to get back to the basics for sure.

Blacktail
10-29-2022, 08:37 AM
At 64 years of age I can relate.
I think about this every year season comes around.
Bad knees that need touching up medically and vertebrae that need cortisone every 4 months are a concern.
The kids have moved away but we just recently got the oldest grand daughter back living with us to go to college so my hunting partners are now few and far between.
Mostly my days are solo in the field which concerns the wife.
Also as said previously the oil patch is a concern that warranted leaving it and taking up a regular driving gig to try and eke out some much needed funds to replace the investments that were lost.
This gives me a day or two a week in November to get out to try and fill the freezer and I still get out there and give it as much as I can.

Bernie O
10-29-2022, 09:05 AM
Hunting is like any other enjoyable activity in life. When the work that you have to put into it exceeds the pleasure you are getting out of it then its time for a change. If you can avoid it you should never do things that you dont enjoy.

high horse Hal
10-29-2022, 09:10 AM
I feel the same
we go out for a 'hike' and I am always the slowest, 'hunting' along as we go, should learn to leave the binos at home we would see more summits and viewpoints

I arrived at the crossroads awhile back, thinned out all those things I had that I needed just in case
just in case I went to Africa, just in case I went bison hunting, just in case I went pheasant hunting in alberta
Funny money account is large enough that if that case arrives, i'll just go buy what I need
freed up a whole closet and one gun safe
but the desire will never end

Hang in there Norwestalta, at least until the paycheque doesn't rule the day. A lot of the pleasure of hunting returned when I was able to hunt when I wanted and not when I had to ie: vacation or days off. Also, when you reach that point you'll hopefully be able to travel further afield without the worries of missing a job or missing a paycheque and get back to exploring new territory and experiencing new things to keep the flame alive.

I feel the need to pull the trigger less and less every year, but being out there "hunting" puts me in a mode where I think I see and experience much more than if I were just trudging from point A to point B. That's one of the reasons hunting is so enjoyable to me, it's all the stuff I come home with that that isn't meat.

fozzy
10-29-2022, 01:52 PM
Hopefully the passion for hunting returns for you. Lots of good advice above.

I'm close to 52 and still really enjoy it, body is getting worn out though. My "good' knee has started giving me trouble.
Every year I take out a co-worker and assist him in filling his freezer, that's always fun.
Like others have said, keep your gear.