PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Communicators.

Ponderosa Pine
10-20-2022, 09:51 PM
There are quite a few Satellite Communication options now on the market but what is the best value?
It appears that the plans offered to service the various devices are just as large of a consideration as the device itself.
I am leaning towards the Zoleo or Garmin inReach mini but open to any real world advice.
Thank you!

MichelD
10-20-2022, 10:03 PM
I've got a Garmin Inreach Explorer.

It might seem a steep price to pay initially buying and there is an annual fee to pay, plus the monthly fee to pay to use, but the peace of mind it buys is priceless.

In the end my big-game hunting trip was all of five days this year, but I was able to stay in touch with home every day and that gives my wife reassurance. She has been getting more and more reluctant to see me take off alone in the woods alone, but compared to the days when I would take off for a week and she wouldn't know if I was alive or dead until I returned having the satellite connection is night and day.

I have three free pre-set messages I can send plus I have ten text messages per month I can send or recieve in my plan. Extras cost a bit more, but it is minimal. It's a great resource and of course it has the SOS panic button if things really go sideways like a broken leg or other serious accident.

coyotebc
10-20-2022, 10:31 PM
I like my zoleo, especially the fact that a permanent SMS number so when you are out of cell service someone can text you on your zoleo if there is an issue at home

sako79
10-21-2022, 06:14 AM
I love my Zoleo as well. Using for over a year and no issues

Everett
10-21-2022, 07:17 AM
Ive used a zoleo for about 16 months now and love it super easy to use and reliable as hell.

Redthies
10-21-2022, 07:20 AM
There are a ton of threads on these devices. I have an InReach Mini, but never needed to use it yet. Below is some more reading.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?167453-GPS-Emergency-Locater-Communicator-suggestions&highlight=Satellite (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?167453-GPS-Emergency-Locater-Communicator-suggestions&highlight=Satellite)

caddisguy
10-21-2022, 07:39 AM
I like my zoleo, especially the fact that a permanent SMS number so when you are out of cell service someone can text you on your zoleo if there is an issue at home

That's handy! I use the Inreach Explorer SE. It's great, but for someone to send you a message, they have to reply to a text or email and you always have to explain to people "okay, so if you keep the text chat / email thread, you can send me messages through that, but if you create a new text or email, it won't reach me" .... like "huh?" lol

RiverOtter
10-21-2022, 09:58 AM
That's handy! I use the Inreach Explorer SE. It's great, but for someone to send you a message, they have to reply to a text or email and you always have to explain to people "okay, so if you keep the text chat / email thread, you can send me messages through that, but if you create a new text or email, it won't reach me" .... like "huh?" lol
I consider that a great feature in my Inreach. I don't need/want people texting me when I'm out in the backcountry. I'll send a message to my wife and generally 1 or 2 other contacts before I head out and if there's a situation that warrants my trip getting interrupted, it will get relayed through my wife or contact(s).

My main concern with a satellite messaging device is that it reliably sends/receives messages when I ask it to. I have never had an issue with my Inreach SE since I started using it in 2014.

srupp
10-21-2022, 11:17 AM
hmmm still using SPOT gen X..

STILL no real world problems..
however I have noted Garmin -SPOT dont do unit to unit well different systems..
Steven
SPOT Ambassador

caddisguy
10-21-2022, 11:19 AM
I consider that a great feature in my Inreach. I don't need/want people texting me when I'm out in the backcountry. I'll send a message to my wife and generally 1 or 2 other contacts before I head out and if there's a situation that warrants my trip getting interrupted, it will get relayed through my wife or contact(s).

My main concern with a satellite messaging device is that it reliably sends/receives messages when I ask it to. I have never had an issue with my Inreach SE since I started using it in 2014.

You raise a good point there ;) Ditto on Inreach being reliable. I switched to it from SPOT over a year ago and find it faster and more reliable.

tko
10-21-2022, 11:21 AM
Im using the iridium GO
It’s great , you can connect up to 6 smart phones.
you can send messages and make phone calls from your smart phone .

i bought garmin mini before that and found it to be slow so returned it .

Ron.C
10-21-2022, 11:37 AM
Used a gen 1 spot for a long time. Switched to an inreach mini a couple years back. Zero complaints and fits my needs perfectly

jimzuk
10-21-2022, 08:07 PM
I have used the inreach explorer for several years. Being able to send and receive text messages gives my family peace of mind. This year I had one issue with not being able to get a message out. We were in a deep narrow valley so I guess there was not a satellite visible. That’s been the only problem I have had

REMINGTON JIM
10-21-2022, 09:11 PM
I have used the inreach explorer for several years. Being able to send and receive text messages gives my family peace of mind. This year I had one issue with not being able to get a message out. We were in a deep narrow valley so I guess there was not a satellite visible. That’s been the only problem I have had

Would be same for any BRAND of unit . RJ

Ponderosa Pine
10-21-2022, 09:24 PM
I've got a Garmin Inreach Explorer.

It might seem a steep price to pay initially buying and there is an annual fee to pay, plus the monthly fee to pay to use, but the peace of mind it buys is priceless.

In the end my big-game hunting trip was all of five days this year, but I was able to stay in touch with home every day and that gives my wife reassurance. She has been getting more and more reluctant to see me take off alone in the woods alone, but compared to the days when I would take off for a week and she wouldn't know if I was alive or dead until I returned having the satellite connection is night and day.

I have three free pre-set messages I can send plus I have ten text messages per month I can send or recieve in my plan. Extras cost a bit more, but it is minimal. It's a great resource and of course it has the SOS panic button if things really go sideways like a broken leg or other serious accident.

Yes, one of the big reasons for me wanting a satellite com is the wife is likely to issue more hall passes. With young active children it's just as much for her to contact me in home emergencies as me to get messages out.
The three free preset messages sounds like a huge plus!

Ponderosa Pine
10-21-2022, 09:29 PM
Im using the iridium GO
It’s great , you can connect up to 6 smart phones.
you can send messages and make phone calls from your smart phone .

i bought garmin mini before that and found it to be slow so returned it .

I am going to have to look into this one. I had not even considered phone calls; but I guess why not.
It's kind of funny because I love nothing better than being in the middle of nowhere without signal and the hassils of this world but then find it harder and harder to carve out time to be in such places without communication. Double edges sword perhaps.

Ponderosa Pine
10-21-2022, 09:41 PM
Used a gen 1 spot for a long time. Switched to an inreach mini a couple years back. Zero complaints and fits my needs perfectly

It seems that people switch from spot to inreach but I have not read of many making the switch in the other direction. The initial price is higher but better to buy once. I think I will likely settle on a Garmin Inreach mini primarily because I have read very little negative feedback on it.

KBC
10-21-2022, 09:56 PM
Never had an issue with my inreach. I’ve even asked for extra days off while out of cell service with it.

REMINGTON JIM
10-21-2022, 11:14 PM
I am going to have to look into this one. I had not even considered phone calls; but I guess why not.
It's kind of funny because I love nothing better than being in the middle of nowhere without signal and the hassils of this world but then find it harder and harder to carve out time to be in such places without communication. Double edges sword perhaps.

Bit too Pricey for Me ! But A VERY KOOL UNIT thou ! ;) RJ

Iridium GO! Global Smartphone Access (roadpost.ca) (https://www.roadpost.ca/iridium-go-global-smartphone-access-device.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpeqGipfz-gIV-x6tBh1CtArgEAAYASAAEgI9LPD_BwE)

Ratso
10-22-2022, 10:19 AM
I think they are all good reliable units and will give you what you need when it really matters with the SOS. Fortunately never had to use that feature and I don’t do the daily call to the wife while out alone as she’s fairly confident that all’s well unless I call for help. I’ve had both the Spot Gen 3 and Inreach explorer+. Was not happy with Spots billing practices a few years ago as was not able to suspend account….so had to pay when didn’t really need it….Inreach was easier to suspend/activate as needed. I think Spot has improved in that area and newer models offer more functionality. I use the email feature on my InReach as we do quite a few float plane lake drops and have switched lakes along the way based on weather or the hunting….was very quick/easy to communicate with pilots to adjust pickup locations and dates. The gps navigation on the Inreach is not terrible…although the screens are a bit small. Battery life on the explorer+ is excellent and lasted 5-6 days in low temps between charges.

tko
10-22-2022, 12:42 PM

it’s nice to have the phone call option for sure.

coyotebc
10-22-2022, 01:52 PM

Well it is a separate SMS number than my phone, only a few people know the number, and they understand what an emergency means, so no issues with that. The zoleo also automatically chooses the cheapest option, meaning of you are booked up to Wi-Fi, it will send via Wi-Fi, if no Wi-Fi but you have cellular, then it sends via cellular.
You only use your satellite signal if that is the only option.

2La
10-22-2022, 08:21 PM
I have a ZOLEO, the plan is super cheap 25$ a month (32.50 if you want the Follow Me feature) and when you’re not using it it’s 5$ a month to keep everything active with the same number.

They use the same satellites as the Inreach does as well, I haven’t had any issues delivering or receiving. Sends messages almost as fast as texting. If I’m outside it’s on my belt, doesn’t matter if I’m sledding fishin or camping it’s with me.

It has a weather forecast that can be used without internet, and a map function that you need to download before ya go of the area you’re headed.

Super handy it does everything I want it to.
Let me know if you’ve got any questions!

Jereky
10-23-2022, 08:45 AM
I have a zoleo as well and used it for the first time on our moose hunt. Worked flawlessly. My only complaint would be the need to tether it to your phone for texting unlike the unteach that allows you to text from the unit alone, albeit with some dicking around and time consumption. Zoleo is cheaper as well. Battery life is decent

RiverOtter
10-23-2022, 03:04 PM
I trust my Inreach to be ready when I need it, waaay more than my cell phone. A wilderness safety device that is dependent on a cell phone for it to function is a deal breaker for me.

I can reliably get 2-3 weeks of intermittent use out of my Inreach and still have 30-40% of battery left. 2-3 days can be a stretch for a cell phone.

sako79
10-23-2022, 03:51 PM
I trust my Inreach to be ready when I need it, waaay more than my cell phone. A wilderness safety device that is dependent on a cell phone for it to function is a deal breaker for me.

I can reliably get 2-3 weeks of intermittent use out of my Inreach and still have 30-40% of battery left. 2-3 days can be a stretch for a cell phone.

If you're referring to the zoleo you do not need a cell phone to send messages. You can check in by pressing the button on the zoleo. Also for emergencies you do not need the cell phone you just press the button on the zoleo.

tko
10-23-2022, 04:46 PM
THe zoleo seems to be best option for texting it’s cheap and works good .

RiverOtter
10-23-2022, 05:52 PM
I have a zoleo as well and used it for the first time on our moose hunt. Worked flawlessly. My only complaint would be the need to tether it to your phone for texting unlike the unteach that allows you to text from the unit alone, albeit with some dicking around and time consumption. Zoleo is cheaper as well. Battery life is decent

If you're referring to the zoleo you do not need a cell phone to send messages. You can check in by pressing the button on the zoleo. Also for emergencies you do not need the cell phone you just press the button on the zoleo.

My comment was in response to the bold text above yours.
So you're saying you can compose and send messages on a Zoleo in the field without the use of a cell phone?
I'm not talking about generic messages that you pre-load before you head out, like a useless SPOT.

Am I missing something?

sako79
10-23-2022, 06:32 PM
My comment was in response to the bold text above yours.
So you're saying you can compose and send messages on a Zoleo in the field without the use of a cell phone?
I'm not talking about generic messages that you pre-load before you head out, like a useless SPOT.

Am I missing something?

No you cannot send any message without your cell phone with zoleo but when using your cell phone you can send a heck of a lot faster than with inreach giving you more time to hunt. Zoleo is cheaper it also operates on Wi-Fi as well as cellular not just satellite. You keep number and email for life as long as you don't cancel your service. I've used it now for 2 years and I find it a lot easier than when I had an inreach. Both will be just as reliable because they run the same network

REMINGTON JIM
10-23-2022, 06:40 PM
No you cannot send any message without your cell phone with zoleo but when using your cell phone you can send a heck of a lot faster than with inreach giving you more time to hunt. Zoleo is cheaper it also operates on Wi-Fi as well as cellular not just satellite. You keep number and email for life as long as you don't cancel your service. I've used it now for 2 years and I find it a lot easier than when I had an inreach. Both will be just as reliable because they run the same network

Ok But if your cell phone craps the bed or you lose it or whatever then your Phucked with a Zoleo ? :rolleyes: Or? RJ

RiverOtter
10-23-2022, 06:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, I often pair my Inreach with my cell phone to circumvent the slower process of constructing messages via the Inreach rocker button, but not because I'm forced to. There is no way I'd pack a device that can't send messages without a cell phone linked up. And if I have cell service and/or WiFi, why would I need to use a satellite messaging device?
Isn't that what a cell phone is for?

When I head into the mountains on a 2 week sheep hunt, cell service and WiFi are distant memories anyway. I need a unit that can work as a stand alone to keep my wife updated on current location and travel plans, in case the unthinkable happens and I quit checking in. And lets face it, knowing the price of a chopper evac and knowing that it means leaving all your hunting gear behind(BC Law), you're going to do everything you can via text, long before you pull the SOS pin.

I'm sure the Zoleo is a great unit and equal to IR in send/recieve capability, but I just don't have the same level of trust in a cell phone, especially on extended forays. Stand alone function seems like a no brainer in a modern satellite device, even if it's a slower option.

tko
10-23-2022, 09:51 PM
Ok But if your cell phone craps the bed or you lose it or whatever then your Phucked with a Zoleo ? :rolleyes: Or? RJ

you could always bring an extra phone with you with the app pre downloaded if weight isn’t an issue .

I know a few people with zoleo and they love it , for the price you can’t beat it imo.

Evanguy
10-23-2022, 10:03 PM
inReach mini 2, I have one its awesome, battery lasts a long time, on the 11 day trip I was on I charged it twice and used 10 minute tracking from when I woke up until I went to bed, sent lots of messages (about 95). so battery isn't an issue.

also fully stand alone, you can send preset texts, send regular texts, tracking, check the weather, use the "track back feature", and use the SOS without out a phone, the phone isn't needed at all other then to make things like texting easier.

light weight, but the plan I have costs 40$ a month(I wanted the unlimited 10 minute tracking), so can cost more then other options.

HarryToolips
10-24-2022, 06:58 AM
You raise a good point there ;) Ditto on Inreach being reliable. I switched to it from SPOT over a year ago and find it faster and more reliable.
Interesting, I find my spot quite reliable....what are your annual fees on the Inreach device? Mine are IIRC North of 300$ per year for the SPOT, which to be honest does seem pricey...

sako79
10-24-2022, 07:59 AM

No you can send checking messages to your emergency contacts by pressing the check mark or send for SOS without having a cell phone

stuffrider147
10-24-2022, 08:08 AM
New products are out which I haven’t seen mentioned. The Inreach messenger, new iPhone has satellite connection and, elons starlink coming out for mobile soon as well. Buying today, I would chose between the zoleo or garmins new inreach messenger.

grantk
10-24-2022, 08:17 AM
I know a few people with zoleo and they love it , for the price you can’t beat it imo.

The device itself costs less than the inReach, but they get you back and then some on the monthly fees:

Inreach Mini: $380
Monthly subscription on annual plan: $15/month
Unlimited preset messages + 10 SMS/month
1 year total cost: $560
3 year total cost: $920

Zoleo device: $270
No annual plans, $25/month
No preset messages, 25 SMS messages/month
1 year total cost: $570
3 year total cost: $1170

coyotebc
10-24-2022, 10:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, I often pair my Inreach with my cell phone to circumvent the slower process of constructing messages via the Inreach rocker button, but not because I'm forced to. There is no way I'd pack a device that can't send messages without a cell phone linked up. And if I have cell service and/or WiFi, why would I need to use a satellite messaging device?
Isn't that what a cell phone is for?

When I head into the mountains on a 2 week sheep hunt, cell service and WiFi are distant memories anyway. I need a unit that can work as a stand alone to keep my wife updated on current location and travel plans, in case the unthinkable happens and I quit checking in. And lets face it, knowing the price of a chopper evac and knowing that it means leaving all your hunting gear behind(BC Law), you're going to do everything you can via text, long before you pull the SOS pin.

I'm sure the Zoleo is a great unit and equal to IR in send/recieve capability, but I just don't have the same level of trust in a cell phone, especially on extended forays. Stand alone function seems like a no brainer in a modern satellite device, even if it's a slower option.
Using satellite, cell, WiFi interchangeably means seemless communication and not having to try and pick and choose.

Theven zoleo does not need to be paired to a cell phone to send an SOS, check in message or bread crumb feature

As well as the SOS button, the zoleo has a check in button with a pretty defined message such as all is fine.
I personally think that you over rate the stand alone texting ability of most inReach devices.
Perhaps for your 2 weeks in the middle of nowhere scenario it may be of benefit to you, but in my weekend warrior off roading and the areas that I hunt that may or may not have intermittent cell service, devices like the Inreach mini are just not as convenient

coyotebc
10-24-2022, 10:42 PM
The device itself costs less than the inReach, but they get you back and then some on the monthly fees:

Inreach Mini: $380
Monthly subscription on annual plan: $15/month
Unlimited preset messages + 10 SMS/month
1 year total cost: $560
3 year total cost: $920

Zoleo device: $270
No annual plans, $25/month
No preset messages, 25 SMS messages/month
1 year total cost: $570
3 year total cost: $1170

A little misleading since non of the satellite companies offer plans that are directly comparable and most have a park feature to turn the units off during months that you don't use them.

For my purposes (and your needs may be different) the zoleo option fit both my usage needs better and I like the zoleo app and intigration with the cell phone much better than the Inreach mini.

I would also tell people to look at the new version of the bivy stick as well, as it has the best monthly plans (when I last looked before getting my zoleo)

I paid $199 for my zoleo on sale, they also waved the activation fee and give me 15% off the monthly subscription fees because I am a member of a not for profit disaster response group

sako79
10-25-2022, 02:03 PM
With my zoleo I always suspend my device when I'm not using it and if I go out for a day weekend or week I unsuspended for that time with the unlimited plan. Pretty cheap doing it that way actually and it literally takes you less than a minute to unsuspend or suspend.

REMINGTON JIM
11-01-2022, 09:01 PM
Ok now there’s another new unit : Garmin Inreach Messenger -$370 so a $100 plus tax more then a Zoleo so what you all think ?
I don’t need a GPS as I have one and I also use IHunt and GAIA gps . Thxs RJ

geologist
11-05-2022, 01:07 AM
I run an old Iridium SAT phone. But it's for work so I expense the annual Iridium time.

It's a good safety tool. When I drive north from Kitwanga to the Yukon border there's zero cell coverage. I run it off a magnetic external antenna on my truck's roof and power it off 12V so I'm always in touch.

I've helped out a few stranded motorists with it on Hwy 37.