PDA

View Full Version : 2-8 and Hikers

CabinDweller
10-17-2022, 03:50 PM
Hey everyone I live in Mission and have had a few trips planned for region 3 go sour and have been looking to hunt closer to home. (Black Bears)

I’ve been scanning the Fraser valley municipal maps and have found an 4-5k trail in the back of mission above Cannel Lake named Hunter Trail which after 1k or so from the gate, is open to use of rifle or shotgun w/ single projectile. Perfect I don’t mind a hike. BUT, it seems popular as a hiking location since Covid as there was a few drone shots posted online from the beautiful lookout and am slightly worried about strapping a pack and a 7mm mag on my back and running into Karen who might get the wrong idea.

I’m curious if anyone has hunting this small area in the past and/or if you had any advice for when you do run into others in the woods.

cheers,

I’m also aware a FVSAHL is required and will be acquiring soon.

Updated Map:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/regulations/fraser_valley_special_hunting_area_map_brochure.pd f

whitlers
10-17-2022, 04:00 PM
I have hiked into plenty of areas to hunt that are also popular hiking trails. Be it outside of the valley. Regardless I have never had an issue but always get stopped to answer questions from curious hikers. If it's legal why worry. Go about your business.

steelheadSABO
10-17-2022, 04:23 PM
People hunt all the time in the back of Mission steelhead stave etc never heard of any problems.

Ron.C
10-17-2022, 04:39 PM
Be friendly and respectful of others and you will ususally get the same back, even when you have a rifle on your pack. Most people realize its hunting season and seeing hunters isn't a big deal. Not every non-hunter is an anti-hunter. That said, keep your phone handy and be ready to record any interactions you think may go south.

I don't hunt that area but the area I waterfowl hunt is frequented by bird watchers/dog walkers etc. It is common knowlege this is a legal hunting area. By in large, most encounters are of a very friendly nature "my dog gets lots of rubs" as I pass people walking in and out.

But the odd person takes exception to me hunting this spot (usually happens 2-3 times a season). As soon as my phone comes out and I start recording, they shut their mouth, stop trying to make trouble where there is none and bugger off. Report any agressive encounters, hunter harassment to the CO/RCMP.

Bustercluck
10-17-2022, 06:50 PM
I don’t know the area, but I would suggest you use the trail as an access point and get off the trail to hunt the bush nearby. If you run into anybody you can use the same logic and let them know you’re not hunting on the trail as this would even make myself nervous as there’s some ******s out there.

I do have to ask. Is this the only place to hunt? I’m not saying us as hunters have to bend over to city people, but it’s definitely not going to do us any favours as a community to shoot a bear within earshot of hikers, gut the thing trailside and pack out in front of city folks. Imagine the response from the virtue-signalling-social-justice-Volvo-driving-warrior-soccer-moms out there.

Redthies
10-18-2022, 06:17 AM
I don’t personally know who “Karen” is, but I have had nothing but positive interaction when meeting non-hunters out in the “wilderness”. If I’m going to be somewhere that I know for sure I’m going to see people before I get to legal shooting areas, and likely that they will not be other hunters, I will keep my gun in a soft case or sock until I get to my area. Some people are more freaked out by the sight of a gun than that “snooker cue” you’re carrying. Another thing to consider is clothing. Being head to toe in camo for anything other than turkey or waterfowl hunting is really not necessary. People seem less weirded out by people that aren’t festooned in camouflage gear.

I had one old lady call the cops on us while waterfowl hunting in Delta. Poor bugger cops (rookies who drew the short straw) ended up having to walk out the 150 meters in knee deep water to make sure the “men with guns” were legit. They were not impressed by the fact that we had entered the foreshore right at the spot where there is a GIANT sign telling the huddled masses that it was, in fact, legal to hunt there from Sept to March. To their credit, the cops were super nice about it all.

Long story, but the point is, just be legal, and courteous to the public and go hunting.

CabinDweller
10-18-2022, 01:14 PM
Thank you for all the responses, I plan on taking a quick hike before work into the area to check it out and hope to find some time this week to get out and hunt.

MichelD
10-18-2022, 01:40 PM
I was scoping out a short logging road off the Duffey Lake road one day just past the Joffre Lakes parking lot and ran into a couple of hikers. They weren't alarmed to see guys with guns and just asked what we were hunting. Then I mentioned that I was also going to have a look up at the Cayoosh Mountain trail just a bit up the road too and they said "Oh, there's no hunting allowed there, people hike there."

Yeah right. They seemed like nice enough people and I just let them carry on in their blissful ignorance.

Redthies
10-18-2022, 07:07 PM
The pot stirrer in me would burst their bubble and let them know that it’s perfectly legal to hunt on their hiking trail. Education is always a good thing!