PDA

View Full Version : Canada Goose Recipes

Breiber
10-17-2022, 07:45 AM
Does anyone have any great recipes for goose meat? Our sons have shot a few over the last few seasons and we have used them for pepperoni or slow cooked them. However, my boy and I cooked one up sous vide on the weekend and we were pleasantly surprised how delicious they are. It very much had the appearance, texture, and even similar taste to beef. I'm on a mission now to find more great recipes for Canada Goose. One of the obvious challenges is how tough they can be which sous vide helps with. Does anyone have any other great tips to make a goose into a tender, delicious meal.

Thanks for any tips,
Brian

silveragent
10-17-2022, 08:23 AM
My parents do their own variation of the classic Malaysian Beef Rendang and just swap in goose. I've lately just given them my Canada geese as they have the patience and time to prepare it. It is delicious and also it removes any possibility of overcooking since you are slow cooking it.

https://rasamalaysia.com/beef-rendang-recipe-rendang-daging/

https://smartslowcooker.com/blog/beef-rendang

Other than that I personally don't eat them as steaks - snowies are more delicious to my palate - and I grind them into burgers, pasta sauce, chili and taco meat.

walks with deer
10-17-2022, 09:30 AM
Brine goose. Smoke goose 1 hour... wrap in tinfoil and rest. Reheat in oven at 350 about an hour or core temperature 165 when ready to eat... save left overs for soup...

upperleftcoaster
10-17-2022, 11:01 AM
The best goose legs

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?168847-the-BEST-goose-legs

the breasts sub in well for most beef recipes, especially slow cooked ones like a stroganoff or stew.

Spy
10-17-2022, 11:54 AM
Brine goose. Smoke goose 1 hour... wrap in tinfoil and rest. Reheat in oven at 350 about an hour or core temperature 165 when ready to eat... save left overs for soup...
I will second this smoked goose is delicious...

hawk-i
10-17-2022, 02:18 PM

This sounds great!

Breiber
10-17-2022, 02:21 PM
Oh boy, I haven't had Rendang for quite awhile. That sounds like a great idea and the slow cooking will definitely make it tender.

Smoked Goose sounds great and I love to smoke meat. However, does it get tough at those temperatures?

We tried taking the legs and one breast out of the sous vide, breading it, and deep frying. It was good but too tough for my liking. Maybe I messed up. @upperleftcoaster do you find the tough at all from that recipe?

upperleftcoaster
10-17-2022, 02:34 PM
Oh boy, I haven't had Rendang for quite awhile. That sounds like a great idea and the slow cooking will definitely make it tender.

Smoked Goose sounds great and I love to smoke meat. However, does it get tough at those temperatures?

We tried taking the legs and one breast out of the sous vide, breading it, and deep frying. It was good but too tough for my liking. Maybe I messed up. @upperleftcoaster do you find the tough at all from that recipe?

i only did the legs that way. It was fall of the bone tender. I even experimented by taking the tendons out of one drumstick to see if there was a toughness difference, but none that I could tell. I gave it a solid amount of time though to get the collagen to gelatin conversion done

i will add that the deep fry step was like for 30seconds to get the thinnest batter coating crispy and golden brown. A long fry up might dry out the meat more

MichelD
10-17-2022, 02:35 PM
I roast the whole goose slowly in the oven stuffed with apples and a few pieces of onion. Maybe a few strips of bacon laid across the top. Real simple, real good, but you have to be good at plucking the whole bird.

Breiber
10-17-2022, 03:30 PM
I've considered trying a roast goose but now I'm concerned it would be too tough.

rbduck
10-18-2022, 01:54 PM
I`ve been making a lot of goose(pulled breast) burgers lately. This one has leftover KFC slaw on it. Don`t forget soups/stews. A lot can be down when ground also.
https://i.imgur.com/zcKstLwl.jpg

RB

IronNoggin
10-18-2022, 02:31 PM
I've considered trying a roast goose but now I'm concerned it would be too tough.

Killed a hell of a pile of them in Sask / Alberta / NWT

They are excellent roasted.
Stuff like chicken / turkey.
Sear the skin breast side up under 400 degrees just enough for it to seal up ~ 15 minutes or so.
Reduce heat to 315 - 325.
Roast at that for a couple hours, then let sit for 1/2 hour.
Falls off the bone.

Cheers,
Nog

Breiber
10-18-2022, 03:33 PM
We have done pulled Goose and agreed, it is great.

Breiber
10-18-2022, 03:34 PM
Killed a hell of a pile of them in Sask / Alberta / NWT

They are excellent roasted.
Stuff like chicken / turkey.
Sear the skin breast side up under 400 degrees just enough for it to seal up ~ 15 minutes or so.
Reduce heat to 315 - 325.
Roast at that for a couple hours, then let sit for 1/2 hour.
Falls off the bone.

Cheers,
Nog

We will give it a try. I noticed when we took the breasts out of the sous vide they were awesome but just a few minutes of searing and they got quite tough. This had me thinking that roasting would be equally as tough but perhaps we need to revisit the idea.

jan.wi97
10-18-2022, 03:54 PM
https://honest-food.net/

This site has been phenomenal for me... tried a bunch of the recipes on here
and they've been great.
Off to stuffing a ton of sausages in the next couple of weeks.

deltawaterfowler
10-19-2022, 03:11 PM
I shot a nice big Canada goose a few days ago up in the Cariboo, I figure it weighs a good 10-12 lbs all cleaned out... Managed a perfect head shot without anything in the breast or body so its a perfect candidate for roasting. What do you do for the skin, just salt with lemon and pepper? Looking forward to eating this goose, but want to do it right.

MichelD
10-19-2022, 04:35 PM
I shot a nice big Canada goose a few days ago up in the Cariboo, I figure it weighs a good 10-12 lbs all cleaned out... Managed a perfect head shot without anything in the breast or body so its a perfect candidate for roasting. What do you do for the skin, just salt with lemon and pepper? Looking forward to eating this goose, but want to do it right.

Putting salt on any kind of meat when cooking makes it tough.

I take it easy on spices all over. Just a little marjoram inside and out, stuff with apples and cook at 295 until done.

MichelD
10-19-2022, 04:36 PM
We will give it a try. I noticed when we took the breasts out of the sous vide they were awesome but just a few minutes of searing and they got quite tough. This had me thinking that roasting would be equally as tough but perhaps we need to revisit the idea.

Slow roasted, covered with some moisture in the pan and it won't get tough.

upperleftcoaster
10-21-2022, 09:13 PM
goose pot pie

brown off the meat then let it simmer for a while in the sauce to get a nice braise/tenderizing effect. I sliced this one fairly thin and 30 min of simmering it was tender.

see the Wild Game Dinners thread for more details

https://i.imgur.com/zpF4iz0h.jpg

deltawaterfowler
10-27-2022, 12:03 PM
OH dang! That looks good!

mike31154
10-27-2022, 01:56 PM
Bagged my 1st Canada's a couple weeks ago along with 2 ducks. Decided to keep only breasts & legs. Found some info on brining, added some spices etc. to the standard brine mix. Brined duck breasts with 1 goose breast. Duck breasts eaten same day, very nice. Brined the goose overnight & it was quite good cooked on the BBQ but a little tough on the outside. Inside was still pink. Perhaps I should have sectioned the breast to make it thinner. Easier to keep tabs on doneness that way.

Remaining beasts & legs are frozen. I plan to use the leg meat for soup or stew.

https://dsm01pap004files.storage.live.com/y4mvHdg38UdgMPfSEKCi9FvEiHOBG_9trm6lKJbNMO0RpsYFUM CwQDM3xYXFU58DPhIM3pDI1aA6xyspARXHk7A9YBJoUKnipCZW 3bW2fl9nmbsOh6Jhy6_qUjYzmBr64yc1dpFjYbD01V0y5Zns2H ww2Up8C4CghE63HnLlvHmEzJoDoFHdLQKi_jTglckqHqu?widt h=1024&height=704&cropmode=none