PDA

View Full Version : Hunting bike?

ratherbefishin
10-14-2022, 03:25 PM
I have a quad but am looking at a hunting bike to bring on the back of my hunting trailer…had an old CT 110 years ago, but not sure what to buy …e bikes are nice ,light enough but have to be charged up

THE SWEDE
10-14-2022, 03:56 PM
Tw200 nuff said

ape
10-14-2022, 04:12 PM
Rokon is thee way to go

RyoTHC
10-14-2022, 04:29 PM
Rokon is thee way to go

10k for a rokon
or 699.99 for a Coleman that’s pretty much the same from Princess auto..

196cc Coleman Trail Bike with Wide Frame
buddy has one, has been using it for years to get to his hunting spots and never missed a beat. He got his for 500 bucks Black Friday.

mike31154
10-14-2022, 07:58 PM
I purchased a Honda CRF250L some years ago. Great value for the price. I've used it in the past on LEH moose hunt with my buddies who have quads. Will be taking it again next week for another moose LEH '-). I'm looking at e-bikes too, might sell Hank next year & go electric. Street legal, licensed Enduro, I use it a lot for running errands around town in the summer.
https://dsm01pap004files.storage.live.com/y4mY9Bw_5JVY4fWSsXVL0ZV91dfyZRbHZAMvTNGB3BsoL0eGP0 NW26IJLWZgQpmxdd6vVP3kZZUjh-uBFzy5gFG4pzKs3GOnhT9H9GQtIeM6iLHP7DmOBqBj9HtPGrLU JcDPeDczGXAz1JtNyrkLEP-jjv6_fs5sCFXIHBoa9oyZcFCNmYUqr0ujQtUr97erWtX?width =1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

Beer, wine run...
https://dsm01pap004files.storage.live.com/y4mlxdpHcZ4-M_2CR3zMt7LF1ewqAbg8b--2r8gO9ZBZ-2GFz3yR4w2JrnxPkpF-px22snxDCABbqHeB-SXUJugVwQNTuSsKYNqI__HBUcsbT1YMLeDUO1GZk8pXFrmJwmy nWf3W3m7vkLpy7-Ot3I7HsbRpgguR1tgOpg54aBhllc?width=867&height=1024&cropmode=none

blackhawk19
10-15-2022, 08:30 AM
Nothing will touch a Rokon

REMINGTON JIM
10-15-2022, 09:57 AM
Nothing will touch a Rokon

You have and ride one ? OR just a opinion ? :smile: RJ

Brew
10-15-2022, 10:12 AM
Tw200 $6000 brand new. Lots of aftermarket parts and accessories

SSG-man
10-15-2022, 11:28 AM
I've had a TW it was pretty amazing ride even in a foot of snow blowing at me coming back down the mnt.
Nice that they're street legal and you can scoot around town if you wanted too.
200cc pretty cheap for gas and insurance.
lots of aftermarket parts, racks etc.

IronNoggin
10-15-2022, 04:09 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZZSwqnK.jpg

B-rad
10-15-2022, 04:29 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZZSwqnK.jpgwhat kind of bike is that??,,,that be perfect to have,,,,is it a 4 stroke?

7thShmimz
10-15-2022, 05:52 PM
I sold my quad and bought an ebike this year. I find I'm running into a lot more game on the roads between spots, and I'm more observant of tracks, scat etc. It is easier to hear as well. The option to choose level of assist is nice. Cold mornings it is nice to warm up with some pedaling, but have the assist there to keep you from sweating. Downside is batteries are expensive, and it would be best to have a spare or a genny running to charge if youre camped. I'm not sure how battery life will be affected by colder weather, but I've driven a tesla in the winter and I can guess it's gonna chew it up real fast. Still I think it is worth the trade offs. Accessibility and relative assurance of stealthy entry into spots are worth it for me. I mounted a gun scabbard for horseback onto the front fork, so transport isnt an issue. Saddle bags or a little trailer would top it off, but I'm not balling that hard yet. Oh, another downside is they've roped the ebikes in with every other motor vehicle for these fire impacted areas. Other than that last aspect its the closest to horseback you can get without being stinking rich, and I have enjoyed it very much so far.

srupp
10-15-2022, 08:01 PM
hmmm I thought e-bikes were illegal to use for hunting purposes..????

anyone know if that was the thought or did it happen?
cheers
steven

scoutlt1
10-15-2022, 08:22 PM
Tw200 nuff said

TW200 would be my choice..

Squamch
10-15-2022, 08:38 PM
what kind of bike is that??,,,that be perfect to have,,,,is it a 4 stroke?

It's a Honda trail 70/90/110 and they're great for logging roads. They have an ultra low gear, a tcase type shifter as well. They have nearly no suspension travel, and absolutely shockingly bad ergonomics and geometry, but if they are the sum total of your offroad motorcycle experience, they're great.

I have a bw200, the older, drunker cousin of the tw200, who shows up every couple years at a family event with a new trashy broad, and some wild stories about camp or patch work.

It's not fast, but it also handles like a wet couch. It's as much fun as 3 fat chick's and a truck load of scooters.

REMINGTON JIM
10-15-2022, 10:28 PM

Honda Trail Bike - yes 4 stroke 90 cc or 110 cc 4 spd transmission with hi-low range I have owned one of each ! There ok but not enough power and tires are to small and there rough riding too ! RJ

yamaha tw200 much better JMO

BimmerBob
10-16-2022, 12:29 AM
Honda Trail Bike - yes 4 stroke 90 cc or 110 cc 4 spd transmission with hi-low range I have owned one of each ! There ok but not enough power and tires are to small and there rough riding too ! RJ

yamaha tw200 much better JMO

I remember when these bikes were first introduced, my Uncle got the first one at the local dealership and it was a CT50 with a less than optimum swing arm suspension on the front wheel and a dual sprocket on the back wheel to get ultra low range for the 3 speed transmission. If I recall correctly it was followed shortly after by a CT55 in basically the same configuration but slightly more power. A few years later the CT90 was introduced with the same front suspension and then a few years after that they came out with a proper shock type telescopic fork front suspension with a high/low transmission and later still the CT110 which gave it slightly more power.

These were awesome bikes for us kids and we put a lot of miles on them in the fields and on the trails, my Uncle used them for hunting and fishing all over the backwoods in the Lillooet/Bridge River area. I would say they are great for people up to about 150 -160 lbs but any larger, the suspension makes them rough and power is limiting. I have 3 CT90's from the late 60's early 70's in my back yard, two which should run with a little work and one nearly complete but a parts bike. If I can get out from under all the shit I have cluttering my garage might just get them going again, they are quite simple and very reliable machines.

Be well.../B

canishunter22-250
10-16-2022, 04:34 AM
My wife and I have TW200s and love them. I build big front and rear racks for them and they’re great fun and excellent hunting machines. Very quiet and nimble. First gear is basically walking speed.

valleywalker
10-16-2022, 05:44 AM
I sold my quad and bought an ebike this year. I find I'm running into a lot more game on the roads between spots, and I'm more observant of tracks, scat etc. It is easier to hear as well. The option to choose level of assist is nice. Cold mornings it is nice to warm up with some pedaling, but have the assist there to keep you from sweating. Downside is batteries are expensive, and it would be best to have a spare or a genny running to charge if youre camped. I'm not sure how battery life will be affected by colder weather, but I've driven a tesla in the winter and I can guess it's gonna chew it up real fast. Still I think it is worth the trade offs. Accessibility and relative assurance of stealthy entry into spots are worth it for me. I mounted a gun scabbard for horseback onto the front fork, so transport isnt an issue. Saddle bags or a little trailer would top it off, but I'm not balling that hard yet. Oh, another downside is they've roped the ebikes in with every other motor vehicle for these fire impacted areas. Other than that last aspect its the closest to horseback you can get without being stinking rich, and I have enjoyed it very much so far.

im curious about e-bikes, did you add a motor kit to an existing bike or buy something already put together?
I have a fat tire bike (surly wednesday) that I’d like to put a mid mount motor on, but I’m worried about battery life as well. I’ve seen people with custom battery packs who claim an 80 mile (not km) range on logging roads but I think the steep FSR’s around here might burn up batteries pretty darn quick

Squamch
10-16-2022, 07:49 AM
hmmm I thought e-bikes were illegal to use for hunting purposes..????

anyone know if that was the thought or did it happen?
cheers
steven

Electric motorcycles or mopeds (rebranded as "e-bicycles") are illegal for use in motor vehicle closed areas, since they're....vehicles....with motors.

sparkes3
10-16-2022, 08:03 AM
I have rokon and so far it’s unbelievable what I can go over or up.
takes some getting used too on handling side when your not used to the front wheel having power but it’s awesome.
took it up the back stairs at my place just because my son thought it couldn’t.
I’m looking for a couple metal 50 cal ammo cans now to mount on the sides of the back frame for gear.
gun scabbard on the front and some type of box or carrier on the back rack.
there’s a proper rokon trailer for sale near me but I paid less for the rokon than they want for the trailer.

blackhawk19
10-16-2022, 08:19 AM
I have had one since 2015 . Also have a Polaris Ranger . Both have there places but the rokon can go further because of its width . I'm not talking comfort thou

REMINGTON JIM
10-16-2022, 09:30 AM
https://cdn.aspentimes.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2016/08/AT_AT200910907299983AR.jpg

Here is a Picture of the EXACT model and color my Dad's TOTE GOAT - He had it in the very early 60's up in BRALORNE - I rode with him on it all over the bush in those days ! I was 6 or 7 years Old then - :wink: RJ

SeaScene
10-16-2022, 09:58 AM
Used Norco medium fat tire, with back carrier with milk crate, strap gun case to cross bar. Every BT taken by quietly riding down logging trails... sunny fall day .. never gone back to quad. Set out, put some grub and a thermos of coffee in a pack ... go anywhere to logging roads ... park vehicle and go. Bike cost $75. 7 yrs later still got it still hunt it.

MichelD
10-16-2022, 10:48 AM
Used Norco medium fat tire, with back carrier with milk crate, strap gun case to cross bar. Every BT taken by quietly riding down logging trails... sunny fall day .. never gone back to quad. Set out, put some grub and a thermos of coffee in a pack ... go anywhere to logging roads ... park vehicle and go. Bike cost $75. 7 yrs later still got it still hunt it.

Yeah, similar story here. Wore my Norco (see photo) out, then used a Kawahara but it got stolen. Now I use an Asama from Sports Junkies which is just an average 21-speed mtn bike like the others. My daily rider in the city for my daily exercise too. At 69 I've never had a motorbike or quad.

IronNoggin
10-16-2022, 02:28 PM

4 stroke Honda 110.
Despite what some say, I am just shy of 190 lbs and have no issues with it in the bush.
Excellent mileage, small enough to slip under the gates.

A decent improvement over Gramps' Tote Goats!

Cheers,
Nog

SeaScene
10-16-2022, 04:09 PM
Yeah, similar story here. Wore my Norco (see photo) out, then used a Kawahara but it got stolen. Now I use an Asama from Sports Junkies which is just an average 21-speed mtn bike like the others. My daily rider in the city for my daily exercise too. At 69 I've never had a motorbike or quad.

MD ...right on. Use it or lose it (fitness that is) ... 74 still biking... So effective so cheap. Quiet. Stealth. Nature's sounds of the various surroundings while silently coasting through. Thermos of coffee on the handlebars. Oh yeah... But to each his own.

Camp Cook
12-26-2022, 09:51 AM
My son and I ride Kawasaki KLX250s dual sports

as to e-bikes they are now classed as motorized vehicles so can be used for hunting the same as your vehicles

MRP
12-26-2022, 12:12 PM
them old ct and st 90cc Hondas were good, had a st the crazy things we did to it. I'm surprised it survived, accouple of times I was amassed I didn't die.

dads fishing buddy had one of these.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/museum-bush-bike.jpg

elimsprint
12-26-2022, 02:25 PM

I owned 2 and he is right, nothing will touch a Rokon for hunting IMHO. I only sold them because I can't ride them anymore because of my arthritic thumbs.

Camp Cook
12-26-2022, 02:40 PM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2366016#post2366016)

I had one until it was stolen it went everywhere

tuner
12-26-2022, 06:23 PM
How about a Honda Ruckus 49cc scooter?

Squamch
12-28-2022, 11:48 PM
How about a Honda Ruckus 49cc scooter?

I had this thought too, but the motor and swing arm being one and the same, is begging for a cracked case on a washout or water bar. Better off to watch for an xr80 or 100 for dirt cheap.

fuzzy
01-15-2023, 08:20 PM
2 pennies for what it’s worth….. I have the ability to sneak away dirtbiking far more often than hunting…. For putzing around I think a TTR 125 or even a 230 would be great. Any sub 300cc 4 stroke dual sport would be good as well. The potential for injury on a bike is huge. I would minimally have solid hiking boots and shin pads on top of gloves and a helmet. Even a 250 or 300 2t is fairly quiet if you stay off the pipe and is very nimble. I have suprised myself a few times coming upon bears and deer while recreationally riding Mcnutt in Maple Ridge.

Camp Cook
01-16-2023, 06:40 AM
2 pennies for what it’s worth….. I have the ability to sneak away dirtbiking far more often than hunting…. For putzing around I think a TTR 125 or even a 230 would be great. Any sub 300cc 4 stroke dual sport would be good as well. The potential for injury on a bike is huge. I would minimally have solid hiking boots and shin pads on top of gloves and a helmet. Even a 250 or 300 2t is fairly quiet if you stay off the pipe and is very nimble. I have suprised myself a few times coming upon bears and deer while recreationally riding Mcnutt in Maple Ridge.

My son and I do not ride our Kawasaki KLX250s dual sport motorcycles unless we have full gear on including padded boxer shorts every time no exceptions this is even when we are hunting.

I may swap from a full face helmet to a half helmet once I'm into an area that we are hunting so I do not need to remove the helmet to shoot.

I have taken some crazy dumps that would have broken bones or majorly injured me but due to the gear I wear I am able to just walk away uninjured.

https://i.postimg.cc/CMBDdZLx/KLX250s-ride-Aug-203-2022.jpg (https://postimg.cc/7b4bWZ2F)

Hunter gatherer
01-16-2023, 09:04 AM
I ride a trials bike and it will go anywhere. Use it for scouting can get pretty well everywhere a horse can and then some.

hawk-i
01-16-2023, 10:00 AM
Tw200 nuff said

^^ this or an XT250 :)

Camp Cook
01-16-2023, 11:20 AM
I road a TW200 in the early 90's been figuring when I am to old to get my leg over my KLX250s that a TW200 would be the bike I go to.