PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about in a treestand or ground blind?

MichelD
10-14-2022, 01:30 PM
What goes through your mind if you are whiling away the hours in a treestand?

I find myself replaying conversations I've had with people, wishing I had said something different, or composing things to say in a future one.

I go over lyrics to songs I sing in a band I'm in, trying to remember them all the way through so I won't embarrass myself at the next rehearsal. I also go over memories and scenes from my past for the memoir I'm writing.

I don't mean that I am totally daydreaming and not paying attention to every sound and flicker of movement around me, I do that too, but I tend to have an inner monologue going too.

TheObserver
10-14-2022, 01:34 PM
How hungry I am

Citori54
10-14-2022, 01:39 PM
I think about the cookies and bars in my pack

TheObserver
10-14-2022, 01:39 PM
Or if I could be spending my time better and should be moving.

Usually try to keep my mind clear and alert to my surroundings, or hunting related stuff, areas I want to check out/scout in the future

RackStar
10-14-2022, 02:09 PM
My number one thought is ... “did I pick the right spot... maybe I should be over there”

lots of reflecting on life , I enjoy bringing books with me on fair weather days. Instead of going to camp mid day just sit somewhere with a possibility of game and read a book

TheObserver
10-14-2022, 03:20 PM
My number one thought is ... “did I pick the right spot... maybe I should be over there”

With ya there!

adriaticum
10-14-2022, 03:34 PM
If you have a hard choice to make choose both :)

MRP
10-14-2022, 03:48 PM
I’ve made a several tree stands but never spent much time in them. Lots of time in canoes calling, watching, drifting, dabbing the paddle in the water, wiggling around because my buns are hurting from sitting so long. Number one thought, why are these dam fish jumping around the canoe not here when I’m fishing? Number two thought, Pierre Burton sad a real Canadian knowns how to make love in a canoe... should have had the wife come along. ;)

Ron.C
10-14-2022, 03:49 PM
I'm an all day sitter. Speant countless days from before sun up until after sunset in treestand or ground blind.

I don't think there is much I haven't thought about while the hours pass. The mind sure has a way of wandering when you are idle

caddisguy
10-14-2022, 04:27 PM
I think holy crap I have serious attention span issues. I think the most I have ever been able to sit in a blind is about 2 hours. I do like having a couple blinds up though for those days its like 2 degrees out and the rain is coming down like a hose. It's nice to take a break somewhere that is somewhat dry.

Mulehahn
10-14-2022, 05:29 PM
Me and tree stands don't mix (don't mind heights, just terrified of ladders), but have spent hours on ground blinds. Have thought about pretty much everything under the sun but by far the most common thought is "crap, how long was I asleep?" When the sun gets high I either bet better moving or have packed enough for lunch.

bc7mm
10-14-2022, 07:08 PM
Couple days ago I decided if I read a book it might keep me in place longer. The first three weeks of our moose hunt I just solved world problems, drew things on the ground with a stick, watched the leaves falling and listened to the squirrels. The moose never seemed to show up before I ran out of patience. Well, the book worked. At first light a single grunt came back from so far away it was difficult to identify. Not another sound for three and a half hours, then a single grunt just inside the alders a hundred yards away when I remembered to call ( book had gotten interesting so I forgot why I was actually there ). I gave a very quiet cow call in the other direction. This did the trick, bull walked out at 85 yards.

Oh, and the book was “ The Grass Beyond the Mountains “, the moose, a nice 4x4 that is now hanging in my shop.

Sitkaspruce
10-14-2022, 07:51 PM
I read or play games on the tablet and do a little thinking about life. I used to think about being in the right spot, but now I am more out there to relax, forget about the sh*t in the world and maybe find a deer.

I do know that sitting in a blind as taught me patience. And that I play a wicked game of crib.....

Cheers

SS

tigrr
10-15-2022, 06:23 AM
No tree stands for me. Too many friends fell out of them. My ground blind is the seat of my Honda Foreman. Bucks and moose walk up to within 50 feet. Bears stay a 100 feet away.

troutseeker
10-17-2022, 10:38 AM
I nap...,,,,,,,,

Bugle M In
10-17-2022, 12:05 PM

lots of reflecting on life , I enjoy bringing books with me on fair weather days. Instead of going to camp mid day just sit somewhere with a possibility of game and read a book

lol, this^^^^^^^^^^.
should I be here or in that other area 8 clicks away.

Norwestalta
10-17-2022, 06:01 PM
There's usually 3 of us that hunt together. Me, myself and I. Causes alot of arguing while we sit there analyzing our lives. Nice thing is when it comes to a vote there's a tie breaker.

brian
10-17-2022, 07:00 PM
I hate to sound pretentious but I often try to do breathing exercises and meditate, put my mind in the right place to be there. Every now and then a lay back and snooze. When my mind wanders it usually starts off with, “I wonder if…”. Which can lead to mentally planning out how to do a project. I may have philosophical arguments with myself. Embarrassingly I will often mentally narrate my hunt like I am hosting an episode of Meat Eater. Honestly I probably mostly wonder if I am in the right place and wonder what is happening just over the ridge. Or I am cursing the non cooperative wind. Which is probably why I spend more time still hunting than sitting.

KBC
10-17-2022, 08:56 PM
I found a homemade blind today with some apples down a nice shooting lane. I sat for an hour or so and alternated between almost falling asleep and getting antsy out of boredom. I can’t decide if I want to put myself through that again in the morning.

Redthies
10-18-2022, 06:38 AM
So an official decree has come down… “Still” hunting is now what we will all call sitting in a blind or in an ambush spot. “Stalking” is the new buzzword for actively moving and searching for animals. No more confusion for new hunters, and no more arguments around the campfire as to which idiot in the past called tracking/stalking “still hunting” for the first time, and why all the other idiots among our forefathers followed suit.

When ever I am in the woods with time on my hands, I’m usually thinking about why there seem to be no animals in the spot I’m in, even though it’s clearly a PERFECT place for a deer to hang out!

brian
10-18-2022, 12:13 PM
So an official decree has come down… “Still” hunting is now what we will all call sitting in a blind or in an ambush spot. “Stalking” is the new buzzword for actively moving and searching for animals. No more confusion for new hunters, and no more arguments around the campfire as to which idiot in the past called tracking/stalking “still hunting” for the first time, and why all the other idiots among our forefathers followed suit.

crap I did not get the memo, stalking sounds way more awesome though!

KBC
10-18-2022, 06:02 PM
Well I tried again in the ground blind I found and it was just as bad. Then I got kicked out of it by the guide it belongs to when he showed up with a client. Nice enough guy but I was a little grumpy about it. Ran into his buddy around the corner and talked to him for a bit. Sounds like it’s been a rough year for them. At least I’m not the only one haha

tigrr
10-18-2022, 10:49 PM
I think about trying to stay awake and not getting woken up by a black bears foul breath sniffing me again.
The other problem I had is on the walk back 1 hour before daylight and finding the 2 cougar tracks in the snow had followed me all the way home, from my blind.

MichelD
10-19-2022, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=Redthies;2366509]So an official decree has come down… “Still” hunting is now what we will all call sitting in a blind or in an ambush spot. “Stalking” is the new buzzword for actively moving and searching for animals. No more confusion for new hunters, and no more arguments around the campfire as to which idiot in the past called tracking/stalking “still hunting” for the first time, and why all the other idiots among our forefathers followed suit.

The standard dictionary defintion of Still hunting in all English dictionaries is basically VERBstill-hunting (present participle) · still-hunting (noun)

hunt game stealthily; stalk:
"they still-hunt for white-tailed deer" ·

That has not changed.

Redthies
10-19-2022, 09:11 PM
crap I did not get the memo, stalking sounds way more awesome though!

Spread the word;)

I answered before but in reality, if you’ve ever seen Pinky and the Brain, you have an idea where my head is at. You’ll just have to decide which of the two I resemble…

browningboy
10-19-2022, 10:19 PM
Need a blind with a stripper pole, nice platform, tunes and lots of strippers that are outgoing!

TheObserver
10-19-2022, 10:25 PM
Need a blind with a stripper pole, nice platform, tunes and lots of strippers that are outgoing!

Will those nice racks bring in the nice racks though?