PDA

View Full Version : Snows

MB_Boy
10-13-2022, 06:26 PM
For those of you hunting them in the LML....lots of them flying around/over Vancouver the past couple days. A lot of flocks tonight while walking the pooch.

Marc
10-13-2022, 08:13 PM
Hopefully some of them will make an appearance on the island!

deltawaterfowler
10-14-2022, 12:03 PM
Anyone else find its been a slow start this season with all the warm weather?

Beachcomber
10-14-2022, 01:26 PM
Anyone else find its been a slow start this season with all the warm weather?

I'd agree with that. I poked around in the marsh last weekend and thought I would see more activity. A few smallish groups of snows and a big flock off of Westham, but better suited for sun tanning than hunting. They will come though...

silveragent
10-14-2022, 01:31 PM
Except for one Canada on opening day I was skunked until two nights ago when I did an evening hunt in Boundary. I did feel the weather contributed to not that many opportunities but at the same time my buddies were getting their share from the opps that came in. Lots of pintail. I got a shoveler too so maybe that should go against my count :P

dak0ta
10-16-2022, 09:43 AM
Any tips on pass shooting snow geese other than being under their flight path? I've watched guys sky bust and nothing drops out of the air. I usually pass on shooting them as they look way out of range for a 2-3/4" shell. Assuming they are in low flight, and maybe having a magnum round, what is the technique in terms of lead and shooting overhead snow geese to bring them down?

B-rad
10-16-2022, 12:13 PM
if trying to pass shoot snow geese,,,,,,go to thrift store buy a couple used white pillow cases,,,,,,,split down middle so you have 2,,,,,,grab one in each hand,,,and start flapping to mimmick landing goose,,,,works better if more than one person is doing it aswell,,,sometimes they will turn to do a fly over to inspect,,,,works really well on Canada geese aswell,,,,with light brown pillow cases,,,,only for pass shooting though,,,dont try to do if they locking up on decoys though,,,way to much movement

dak0ta
10-16-2022, 12:24 PM
Great tip, may give it a shot.

Beachcomber
10-16-2022, 05:08 PM
I listened to snows flying over all night and they were all over the marsh today. I could have had a few shots but only had 2 3/4 4s and didn't want to take a chance on wounding one. Maybe will bring some heavier artillery next time. Ducks still thin on the ground yesterday and today. Had a few bunches decoy but pretty quiet. How did others do?

Sako 75
10-16-2022, 07:35 PM
I used to hunt a lot snow back in early 80's and and 90's before steel shots. Had no problems knocking em down with Remington Nitro 3" no#4 lead up to 65 yards. Snow geese are real easy to come down. Last time I went snow geese hunting about 15 years ago was out my friend's punt and we were pass shooting them where the flocks coming from the farmer's field into ocean. I was using Kent's 3" magnum no#1 knocking em down up to 45 yards.

silveragent
10-16-2022, 11:32 PM
I went out this morning to Boundary Bay 64th St.

1. While a bit slow compared to mid season last year, I did my limit of pintails - they were decoying nicely - and seeing not much else pulled up stakes at 10.
2. I missed a great opportunity at a low flying flight of Canadas coming in from the bay as I was already cleaning up and didn't notice them until they were right on top of me. Previously I had shot at another low flight of Canadas but they were at a distance and I never got the lead right.
3. Snows are in abundance yes but they are so high. I mean the lowest flight I saw was maybe 200y up. Just a waste of ammo.
4. Cacklers about the same but they apparently have learned to skirt 64th street as I only saw them give the foreshore a wide berth.

I do have about 70 or so snowie dekes but I would need a very good opportunity to bring them out. Without having a farm to drive right onto, I am too tired to drag them all out by hand. Been teased too many times by those birds.

I find with snowies it is totally a numbers game. You might get singles or small groups checking out your spread but when the groups flying over are in their hundreds, they really have no reason to come down to a smaller group of dekes. And they don't seem to care much for the foreshore. They want farms and fields. Get me on a farm and I will bring out my dekes.

Beachcomber
10-17-2022, 07:43 AM
Some of these birds were in range for a decent passing shot, but I would be more comfortable with a more behind (3") to make sure they drop. Over decoys with wheels down is a different matter.

Nice work on the pins, silveragent.

silveragent
10-17-2022, 08:19 AM
Yea I shoot 3" and am too cheap to buy 3.5" to put into my gun. If you do a web search you can find people's experiments showing negligible improvement of 3.5" over 3". I would rather save my shoulder and my credit card and stick to 3".

I have a gun now that will do the magazine cut off so that if I am loaded for duck I can rack out the chamber and slot in a BB if I see a goose coming in quick. I have had plenty of time to reload all three shells so far this season but am mindful I could do that if I wanted to without much time. Mind you I brought down a Canada with #4 last year too.

Year before I didn't have a job and bought only 2.75" duck loads but still bought a box of 3" BBs. For duck loads - as someone here already said - feet up shots you can be loaded with your cheapest 2.75" anything. At that point you have time and space to aim for the head. My shooting isn't getting any better so if I am by myself and there is no competition around like yesterday, I can afford to be patient and let them circle and come in for the easy shot.

Since Canadas, Cacklers and Snows are all in I am keeping #2 and BB on my belt but still designing my spread for ducks. I found 1 mojo and 6 floaters did the trick yesterday as I didn't have any help with me.