PDA

View Full Version : The Contentious 5-13A Looking for info?

bajaboy
10-11-2022, 08:55 AM
I have a LEH Bull Moose Nov 1-15 for this area. It was literally a random pick I made and I know nothing of the area.
After a quick search on here about the area I had to laugh! It seems I couldn't have picked a more contentious MU to hunt. Most info on here regarding the area is quite dated, does anyone have any recent info on the area with respect to both the Moose opportunities and the local Native Band who seems to want hunters to forfeit their LEH draws?

Any information is much appreciated.

Cheers

tigrr
10-11-2022, 07:58 PM
Don't leave your vehicle unattended. Have Grampa come along to stay at camp keeping the fires going.

bajaboy
10-11-2022, 08:26 PM
Don't leave your vehicle unattended. Have Grampa come along to stay at camp keeping the fires going.
Yes that seems to be a reoccurring theme I'm hearing.

Arctic Lake
10-11-2022, 09:19 PM
I imagine S Rupp will post up on this .
Arctic Lake

TheObserver
10-11-2022, 09:28 PM
I have a LEH Bull Moose Nov 1-15 for this area. It was literally a random pick I made and I know nothing of the area.
After a quick search on here about the area I had to laugh! It seems I couldn't have picked a more contentious MU to hunt. Most info on here regarding the area is quite dated, does anyone have any recent info on the area with respect to both the Moose opportunities and the local Native Band who seems to want hunters to forfeit their LEH draws?

Any information is much appreciated.

Cheers

Hey is this the Alexis creek draw?

If so got it years back in 2016 or 2018 when I didn't do my research on LEH and didn't scout it and it was definitely a dissapointment, had a 20 yard encounter in the timber with a grizz too that I felt warranted to put a warning shot near it's feet

The local chief told us that the young guys go out on snowmobiles and shoot everything on wintering grounds, when you hear that from one of the older natives you know its bad

We didn't have any problems with indians, but I was ignorant to the situation there and one morning took my old mans truck and went for a hunt first light bumped into some of them on one of the roads and they all looked at me like wtf am I doing back here didn't say anything to me though, makes sense now

Haven't won any draws since lol, needless to say I research before I put them in now. Because it seems with me I won't win anything again for a long time after I do get one

bajaboy
10-12-2022, 09:25 AM
Hey is this the Alexis creek draw?

If so got it years back in 2016 or 2018 when I didn't do my research on LEH and didn't scout it and it was definitely a dissapointment, had a 20 yard encounter in the timber with a grizz too that I felt warranted to put a warning shot near it's feet

The local chief told us that the young guys go out on snowmobiles and shoot everything on wintering grounds, when you hear that from one of the older natives you know its bad

We didn't have any problems with indians, but I was ignorant to the situation there and one morning took my old mans truck and went for a hunt first light bumped into some of them on one of the roads and they all looked at me like wtf am I doing back here didn't say anything to me though, makes sense now

Haven't won any draws since lol, needless to say I research before I put them in now. Because it seems with me I won't win anything again for a long time after I do get one

Thanks for the reply. Sounds quite promising! This was a 3rd choice random pick. "Looking for adventure, head out on the highway" type of scenario. Might be a little more adventure than I anticipated...lol
I have to figure out if it's worth the expenses coming over from Northern Vancouver Island and if any sort of camp set up is safe while away hunting?

Arctic Lake
10-12-2022, 09:48 AM
Hmmmm…. I would have thought S Rupp would have chimed in by now . He must be out hunting
Arctic Lake

TheObserver
10-12-2022, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the reply. Sounds quite promising! This was a 3rd choice random pick. "Looking for adventure, head out on the highway" type of scenario. Might be a little more adventure than I anticipated...lol
I have to figure out if it's worth the expenses coming over from Northern Vancouver Island and if any sort of camp set up is safe while away hunting?

We went back in 2016 or 2018 so things have changed a bit probably, not sure for better or worse.

We camped by the lake pretty close to some cabins and our camp was fine. A local came fishing too a couple days here and there nice fella so that would have helped. Can't remember the name of the lake but can look it up when home.

We seen both Whitetail and Mule Deer, weren't after Deer or even looking for them and we saw a Mulie buck.

No Moose sighting or even sign though when we went.

sakohunter
10-18-2022, 07:20 PM
Well the weather is starting to turn for the better. You should be in good standing if you are brave enough to get out there.

BCHUNTER21
10-18-2022, 07:29 PM
hide a trail camera over looking your truck or camp

srupp
10-18-2022, 08:21 PM
hmmm Rupp finally got a break in his schedule..lol
LOTS of successful hunters so far..

the area is problematic...

the timing of your draw requires a different approach than has been discussed so far...
the weather has been so damn hot..but rain and falling temps are headed our way
send a PM..with your phone number and best time to call.
cheers
Srupp