PDA

View Full Version : Meat Grinder Advice

tylerduce
10-08-2022, 10:02 PM
I'm looking into purchasing a new meat grinder. What do you all have? What should a guy avoid? What features do you find useful? Anyone care to share their reviews on specific brands such as Valley Sportsman, LEM, Cabelas Carnivore, Weston, etc.

Cheers!

srthomas75
10-08-2022, 10:19 PM
following myself as I'm looking at getting one as well.

Arctic Lake
10-08-2022, 10:25 PM
How much money do you want to spend ? You can’t go wrong buying a well known Meat industry manufactured one like Biro , Berkel , Butcher Boy , . You could look at restaurant auctions if not buying new .
I think others will chime in on the top end Cabelas models
Arctic Lake

tylerduce
10-08-2022, 10:36 PM
Good question Arctic Lake. I'm ok with spending more up front to get a quality grinder. Its the same with anything (especially footwear)....buy once, cry once.

IslandWanderer
10-08-2022, 10:40 PM
We've got a 1 hp Weston. I bought it at Canadian Tire for around 600 plus tax.

I've ground 6 deer so far. Worked great. I figure I broke even money wise after deer 5. I hear lots of good things about the LEM Big Bite line of grinders. In hind sight I'd have bought an LEM instead just because of the reviews. Our Weston does work well though.

MDR
10-08-2022, 11:09 PM
I have a Cabelas pro series. Bought 6 years ago approximately. It has ground quite a few animals over the years. Hasn't let me down yet. I would buy again 100%. I'm sure the carnivore series are great, but mine will grind meat faster than I can cut it up and at half the cost. As with any grinder, don't feed it giant tendons.

The sausage stuffer attachment works well enough...just.

ccrcc
10-09-2022, 12:39 AM
+1 on the pro series DC. ground up more than its fair share of critters. and packs a punch for it's size so it's easy to store.
i thought about the commercial grade ones as well but i just dont use it enough to justify the cost.

MRP
10-09-2022, 07:54 AM
When I was young and did real work for a living I had a #32 hand crank. The wife fed it I cranked, put a couple of 100lbs of meat through and never thought anything of it. Got older and work got softer. 20ish years ago l purchased a #32 with the belt drive wheel on it and a 3/4hp motor. Probably put a couple of thousand pounds of meat through it. It’s heavy, ugly but fast. Was over helping a friend with some fancy $1000 thing that has never worked right since he got it. The only thing with mine it the throat is big enough to put your hand in. So I cut a hole in a small tub to go on top and made a push paddle to poke the meat in with.

#32 will last for ever. But I know of some that bought the cheaper #32 hand crank and tried to motorize it, Don’t. The #32 that comes with a drive wheel has real bearings the hand crank has nothing or just a thin nylon bushing.

blackhawk19
10-09-2022, 08:49 AM
If you want to do the job fast then go with Biro, Berkel , Hobart . If time isn't a factor then go with weston , cabelas
As Arctic has said there are quite a few industrial ones out there . Just remember the industrial will be single phase

upperleftcoaster
10-09-2022, 08:53 AM
Get the most HP you can afford, the smaller ones work but take for ever to grind. I use an old commercial Biro. It takes longer to clean than to grind all the meat and sausage

RackStar
10-09-2022, 11:27 AM
I got the pro series on sale , but I wish I got the 1HP carnivore. Works good on deer but I haven’t done a elk or moose with it... would prob be slow.

we put 120 pounds of moose through a 1HP carnivore in about 15 mins it seemed. I will be buying the carnivore next year. I refuse to use butchers

srupp
10-09-2022, 12:33 PM
hmmmm I have someone enquiring about my setup...
Cabelas 1 3/4 hp grinder...2 or 3 matched plates/blades.
GERMAN ..DICK sausage stuffer..
hand cranked mixer..
moose gambrel..deer gambrel
the 1 3/4 hp does a perfect job..fast..no meat heating from machine working too hard.
the commercial units take up too much space cant be easily moved by less than a football team
I tried LEM ...the CABELAS unit works well.
cheers
Srupp

tylerduce
10-09-2022, 02:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. One of the best things about this forum is the knowledge and experience sharing. Much appreciated!

I know you all probably think I'm crazy but the wife and I are leaning towards the hand crank route like MRP. We are both young and fit so I don't see an issue, plus it could save us quite a bit of dough.

Retiredguy
10-09-2022, 02:53 PM
I cut meat for a living for a number of years. Like the commercial stuff but can't justify the cost or the space for the big ones. I am basically using what srupp has for equipment. Have used it for a lot of moose, elk, beef, pork, bison etc. It works fast enough for the wife and I. Only thing different is I bought a mixer and a macerator that attach to the grinding unit and they work quite well.

srupp
10-09-2022, 03:30 PM
hmm I had a 1 hp motor that attatched to the mixer I swapped out the mixers olite/brass bearings for comercial food grade bearings.

I tried the hand crank grinding unit...never did a good job..more tearing...than grinding..
considering one of these commercial grade units will provide consistent grindings in a short time..and time is very important..the longer it takes the more the meat heats up. Proteins start binding process...quality suffers.
doing it yourself is about quality and confidence in the end product...done the way...YOU PREFER.
cheers
Steven

Breiber
10-09-2022, 04:33 PM
You might regret the hand crank grinder. I have the Cabelas Pro Series (DC motor). I bought it last year and have put a few bear and deer through it. I m8ght be willing to sell it for $150. That would give a good reason to buy the Carnivore

exv
10-09-2022, 05:59 PM
Cabelas grinders are on sale right now .. the carnivore line gones on sale a couple times every year. Was contemplating the 1hp carnivore this morning ... sale price is 650$, 100$ off.

srupp
10-09-2022, 06:26 PM
BIGBORE..aka Dave MARSH bought a 1 HP Cabela's while I bought the 1 3/4 no comparison..lol

there is a new unit..with cooling pack around the funnel..however it doesnt seem to be the same quality..I was helping a individual do his first sausages..meat was cold small enough to fit the throat..blades/plates new and adjusted..just not on the same quality scale as was used to.
BUY quality..buy once cry once..my .02

hmmm HAD a potential buyer however he cant do it..HMMMM apparently DIVORCE is expensive...
Steven

IslandWanderer
10-09-2022, 06:29 PM
BIGBORE..aka Dave MARSH bought a 1 HP Cabela's while I bought the 1 3/4 no comparison..lol

there is a new unit..with cooling pack around the funnel..however it doesnt seem to be the same quality..I was helping a individual do his first sausages..meat was cold small enough to fit the throat..blades/plates new and adjusted..just not on the same quality scale as was used to.
BUY quality..buy once cry once..my .02

hmmm HAD a potential buyer however he cant do it..HMMMM apparently DIVORCE is expensive...
Steven

I'd recommend that folks read the reviews before buying the Cabelas 1 3/4 HP. Seems like the 1HP might work better.

Breiber
10-09-2022, 06:32 PM
I'd recommend that folks read the reviews before buying the Cabelas 1 3/4 HP. Seems like the 1HP might work better.

Can you expand on that? The Carnivore's are on sale right now and I was contemplating getting the bigger 1 3/4hp. Why do you feel the smaller 1hp is superior?

IslandWanderer
10-09-2022, 06:36 PM
Can you expand on that? The Carnivore's are on sale right now and I was contemplating getting the bigger 1 3/4hp. Why do you feel the smaller 1hp is superior?

I had a chance to buy a 1 3/4 cheap, so I read some reviews. A few 1 star ratings that sounded pretty legit. I decided to just use my 1 hp weston. On the other hand, the 1 hp Cabelas has a lot of great reviews. 1 hp is a lot of power. I find it easily grinds faster than I can feed it.

Breiber
10-09-2022, 06:45 PM
I had a chance to buy a 1 3/4 cheap, so I read some reviews. A few 1 star ratings that sounded pretty legit. I decided to just use my 1 hp weston. On the other hand, the 1 hp Cabelas has a lot of great reviews. 1 hp is a lot of power. I find it easily grinds faster than I can feed it.

Ok thanks. I have the Cabela's Pro Series DC. I bought it because the Carnivore was out of stock at the time and I needed a grinder. It's been amazing but I would like something a little bigger that can process a little faster. The Pro Series is perfect for an animal or two a year but with 3 of us hunting something a little bigger would be nice.

Not to hijack this thread but if anyone wants a Pro Series that is in mint shape with a new cutter and the stuffing tubes I'll sell it for $150..........only as long as the Carnivore is on sale lol.

Located in Ladysmith
Brian
(250)618-3655

IslandWanderer
10-09-2022, 07:19 PM
Ok thanks. I have the Cabela's Pro Series DC. I bought it because the Carnivore was out of stock at the time and I needed a grinder. It's been amazing but I would like something a little bigger that can process a little faster. The Pro Series is perfect for an animal or two a year but with 3 of us hunting something a little bigger would be nice.

Not to hijack this thread but if anyone wants a Pro Series that is in mint shape with a new cutter and the stuffing tubes I'll sell it for $150..........only as long as the Carnivore is on sale lol.

Located in Ladysmith
Brian
(250)618-3655

There's a 3/4 for sale in Cowichan on Facebook market place. Used once apparently. Asking $450, but might be worth offering a low offer just to see.

srupp
10-09-2022, 08:23 PM
hmmm if the meat was warm...switching plates and blades..not snugging up the plate clearance..
what type of meat..ie moose that the sinews were intact..pretty hard to compare unknown parameters......Bigbore and I did grind up some bear meat..he had 1 hp mine 1 3/4 hp wasnt even close.happy happy customers seldom take time to write up happy thoughts...some do.
if some are unhappy...one needs to find out what went wrong..and why...temp? meat quality ..
SET UP procedures..etc..

once was helping a guy with his grizzly search..he returned saying he didnt see a grizzly..
I really couldnt believe it I went back with him...he tried to convince me that sitting at the bottom of the slides was his M/O ..hmmm at 10 am..thermals were giving him away. bears were there his method stunk literally.
the cabelas machines are the same...just bigger.
steven

HarryToolips
10-09-2022, 08:37 PM
We've got a 1 hp Weston. I bought it at Canadian Tire for around 600 plus tax.

I've ground 6 deer so far. Worked great. I figure I broke even money wise after deer 5. I hear lots of good things about the LEM Big Bite line of grinders. In hind sight I'd have bought an LEM instead just because of the reviews. Our Weston does work well though.

I have a 1 HP LEM Big Bite works great, processed a few deer and an elk with it so far...no issues whatsoever and easy to dismantle and clean..

Norwestalta
10-09-2022, 08:55 PM
I've had a samona 1hp from peavey mart and for the last ten years it's done min 3 animals a year. It hasn't let me down yet but I sure would like to go to one of those bigger hp cabelas grinders.

Redthies
10-10-2022, 03:44 AM
Just as a counter point, I have a KitchenAid stand mixer and the grinder attachment on it actually works really well. It’s not in the same league as some of the ones you guys are talking about, but if you are like me and only process one or two animals per season, it’s a really good option. The fact that the wife can use it to bake me cookies all year round, is a serious bonus…

IslandWanderer
10-10-2022, 10:24 AM
Just as a counter point, I have a KitchenAid stand mixer and the grinder attachment on it actually works really well. It’s not in the same league as some of the ones you guys are talking about, but if you are like me and only process one or two animals per season, it’s a really good option. The fact that the wife can use it to bake me cookies all year round, is a serious bonus…

I've heard the grinder attachment works well with these.

Redthies
10-10-2022, 10:41 AM
I've heard the grinder attachment works well with these.

It does. I’m not experienced with the HD grinders, but I have zero need to check them out at this point. You can get pasta rollers, I think a sausage stuffer and a whole bunch of other attachments. I do about 40-50 lbs of ground with it each year and it’s never even remotely showed signs of being anything but perfect.

The added bonus is it’s way easier to get the “aquistions committee” to approve the purchase of a KithcenAid over a dedicated grinder.

goatdancer
10-10-2022, 11:10 AM

Your wife makes cookies with the grinder attachment??? Just kidding. We have the same setup and it works very well.
The peeler/corer/slicer attachment is great for doing dried apples.

Jagermeister
10-10-2022, 12:29 PM
Princess Auto. If you’re not happy with what you bought, take it back. 100% return, no hassle

srupp
10-10-2022, 01:50 PM
hmmm I do not have the carnivore..mine is the commercial unit....however I still read folks saying their Vortex optics are every bit as good as Swarovski HD units for 1/2 the price.
no comment.
Steven

Retiredguy
10-10-2022, 05:21 PM
hmmm I do not have the carnivore..mine is the commercial unit....however I still read folks saying their Vortex optics are every bit as good as Swarovski HD units for 1/2 the price.
no comment.
Steven

:lol: Indeed....

srupp
10-10-2022, 06:03 PM
hmmm after consultation with my wife....and increasing financial issues I will indeed be offering my mixer,grinder,sausage stuffer,electric scale,tubs,gambrels etc...with the possibility of making the mixer powered.
All discussions per ph. not interested in public negotiations.
cheer's
Steven

exv
01-27-2023, 11:05 AM
Cabelas grinders are on sale right now .. the carnivore line gones on sale a couple times every year. Was contemplating the 1hp carnivore this morning ... sale price is 650$, 100$ off.

Update:

Well I picked up a 1hp and decided to test it out the last few days with over 200lbs of grind. The good, it grinds meat at a good pace. The bad, everything else. Overall fairly disappointed. Things gets hot ... motor doesn't cool (motor barely moves any air) and heat soaks the grinder attachment. The auger input splines got hot enough to burn you after 15-20lbs. Plastic attachment accessories are a joke. Bottom drawer isn't big enough to store the accessories. 1 of the 5 bolts attaching the auger to the motor came sheered off the treads.

Your opinion mays vary, probably good for small batches. I admit I have a taste for "proper tools" as a tradesman and this is just cheap China crap. Just my 2 cents.

Note- I did investigate tolerances ect and used zfood grade lubricants, didn't help any.

mwj
01-27-2023, 02:57 PM
I bought a "Waring Pro" model MG100NC in 2008 when I came home from a solo hunting trip with a moose and 2 mulies. It's done a couple animals every year since. It was relatively inexpensive and has worked great for 15 years