PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail hunters, anyone tagged one yet?

TheObserver
10-08-2022, 11:49 AM
Anyone that has been out for Blacktail's how has it been with this drought/heat? Anyone tagged one?

Got a stand up and was going to start sitting again when the moon calms down a bit was hoping for rain and cooler weather for mid October.

So far last month things were really dead as far as sightings and my cams. Have some additional spots up high to go to in Nov and when it snows but no cams up there.

Interested to hear from you guys

savage10
10-08-2022, 12:02 PM
Interested as well. Moved to Chilliwack this year and want to start spending some time learning the blacktails down Chilliwack river valley. If anyone has any pointers it would be much appreciated!

TheObserver
10-08-2022, 02:18 PM
Interested as well. Moved to Chilliwack this year and want to start spending some time learning the blacktails down Chilliwack river valley. If anyone has any pointers it would be much appreciated!

Have you hunted them before/where you came from?

savage10
10-08-2022, 02:48 PM
Have you hunted them before/where you came from?

Nope haven’t hunted them yet. Fairly new to hunting in general besides getting after some spring bear this year and also just got back from a week in the EKs chasing elk and whitetails for the first time.

Planning on going down Monday to see what I can find for blacktails/sign ect

MichelD
10-08-2022, 03:24 PM
Got this guy at first light on Thursday at around 7:08 despite the day before reporting record temperatures in various places across BC.

My buddy got one mid-morning on Monday too. We also thought the heat was keeping them from moving, but there were a couple of them in motion at least. I only saw three does over the four days I was out, in the mid-morning.

https://i.imgur.com/dhhZctq.jpg

TheObserver
10-08-2022, 04:07 PM
Nope haven’t hunted them yet. Fairly new to hunting in general besides getting after some spring bear this year and also just got back from a week in the EKs chasing elk and whitetails for the first time.

First time hunting BT's was last year so I have limited knowledge, and others could provide more/sound information but I did get a spiker and 4X2 with my compound bow so i'll give you some for what it's worth.

For my area the ones I keep tabs on rain and heavy rain and snow I seem to find them moving, they are random and not habitual, these Deer are not migrators and seem to live in a small area. Close to water and feed which can more south slopes in this area however small those slopes may be where more sun hits and feeds grows.

All the beds I find here are at the base of large trees like cedar that keep the rain off of them. Either on small benches or flat spots under these large trees on ridges or slopes with a vantage point and almost always wind blowin from behind them. My place has a lot of rubs and there is a good number of Bucks.

Snow makes it much easier to hunt them, heard they can be rattled and called in with good success. They seem to be with the Does and start to rut a little earlier than the other two, got mt 4X2 with a Doe last year neck fat and packing fat on Oct. 16th.

Most of my scouting was for Elk this year so I am still pretty new to BT as well, but I find them much harder to both hunt and locate than either MD or WT.

Chilliwack may be a little different but both there and here still very coastal BT. I plan on scouting Chilliwack very very hard next year, up high more so though.

TheObserver
10-08-2022, 04:14 PM
Got this guy at first light on Thursday at around 7:08 despite the day before reporting record temperatures in various places across BC.

My buddy got one mid-morning on Monday too. We also thought the heat was keeping them from moving, but there were a couple of them in motion at least. I only saw three does over the four days I was out, in the mid-morning.

Congrats Michel!! He will be delicious for sure!

Was this more inland like Boston Bar or near "the line", or more coast like down here in Maple Ridge?

TheObserver
10-08-2022, 04:17 PM

They are tough and can be very frustrating, for me anyways but I love hunting them especially in the rain my noise is severely depleted and I find it very calming and peaceful.

Arctic Lake
10-08-2022, 07:43 PM
That’s a nice deer you got Michel D . Are you going to post up a story ?
Arctic Lake

MichelD
10-08-2022, 10:06 PM
Congrats Michel!! He will be delicious for sure!

Was this more inland like Boston Bar or near "the line", or more coast like down here in Maple Ridge?

More inland than coastal.

Not much of a story, just a lesson in patience and hope that things will go well.

After sitting in the tree stand for two hours Tuesday evening, five hours Wednesday moring and two hours in the afternoon and sighting only two chipmunks, which might have been the same one twice, I was starting to wonder if the unseasonal high temperatures were keeping deer from moving.

Thursday morning I got to the stand just before daybreak and around 7:05 I heard "crunch-crunch-crunch" on the dry ground, twigs and cones and saw a deer coming along. In my flurry of activity putting earplugs in and mounting the rifle, the deer stopped behind a tangle of brush 25 yards away, looking up at me. Busted! And he wouldn't move. I was concerned he'd suddenly bolt out of there not giving me a shot.

I had a hard time finding it in the scope at first, looked with the naked eye again, then the scope and finally got a good view, but only of the head and a bit of neck. I saw it had antlers. Looked like long tall spikes to me. I aimed a little lower where the neck should be and shot. The deer dropped but then kicked around and shoved himself downhill into my sight, trying to get up. I put another one in the neck and he was down. The first shot had hit the spine. Either I flinched and pulled left or the 140 grain 280 Remington bullet deflected.

I hiked back to the truck and got my cargo pack. Gutted and skinned out the deer on the spot, cut it up into five pieces; lower back and hind quarters, chest and neck, the two front legs and shoulders and head. Packed it out to the truck in three trips. Shot at 7:08 and all packed up and in the truck headed home at 11:08.

Turned out to be a three-point. I had not seen the ends of the antlers as I described earlier. They had blended in with the branches of the bush the deer had been hiding behind.

https://i.imgur.com/tDqHTjW.jpg

savage10
10-08-2022, 10:16 PM
First time hunting BT's was last year so I have limited knowledge, and others could provide more/sound information but I did get a spiker and 4X2 with my compound bow so i'll give you some for what it's worth.

For my area the ones I keep tabs on rain and heavy rain and snow I seem to find them moving, they are random and not habitual, these Deer are not migrators and seem to live in a small area. Close to water and feed which can more south slopes in this area however small those slopes may be where more sun hits and feeds grows.

All the beds I find here are at the base of large trees like cedar that keep the rain off of them. Either on small benches or flat spots under these large trees on ridges or slopes with a vantage point and almost always wind blowin from behind them. My place has a lot of rubs and there is a good number of Bucks.

Snow makes it much easier to hunt them, heard they can be rattled and called in with good success. They seem to be with the Does and start to rut a little earlier than the other two, got mt 4X2 with a Doe last year neck fat and packing fat on Oct. 16th.

Most of my scouting was for Elk this year so I am still pretty new to BT as well, but I find them much harder to both hunt and locate than either MD or WT.

Chilliwack may be a little different but both there and here still very coastal BT. I plan on scouting Chilliwack very very hard next year, up high more so though.

Really appreciate the tips! I’m definitely excited to start putting in the work to learn them and hopefully am able to find a couple pockets of them. Cheers

nature girl
10-09-2022, 07:25 AM
I've been out a few times already not much for sign where i was. Just so noisy in the bush walking around.
If you have a stand give it a try it won't hurt any.

TheObserver
10-09-2022, 09:08 AM
More inland than coastal.

Not much of a story, just a lesson in patience and hope that things will go well.

After sitting in the tree stand for two hours Tuesday evening, five hours Wednesday moring and two hours in the afternoon and sighting only two chipmunks, which might have been the same one twice, I was starting to wonder if the unseasonal high temperatures were keeping deer from moving.

Thursday morning I got to the stand just before daybreak and around 7:05 I heard "crunch-crunch-crunch" on the dry ground, twigs and cones and saw a deer coming along. In my flurry of activity putting earplugs in and mounting the rifle, the deer stopped behind a tangle of brush 25 yards away, looking up at me. Busted! And he wouldn't move. I was concerned he'd suddenly bolt out of there not giving me a shot.

I had a hard time finding it in the scope at first, looked with the naked eye again, then the scope and finally got a good view, but only of the head and a bit of neck. I saw it had antlers. Looked like long tall spikes to me. I aimed a little lower where the neck should be and shot. The deer dropped but then kicked around and shoved himself downhill into my sight, trying to get up. I put another one in the neck and he was down. The first shot had hit the spine. Either I flinched and pulled left or the 140 grain 280 Remington bullet deflected.

I hiked back to the truck and got my cargo pack. Gutted and skinned out the deer on the spot, cut it up into five pieces; lower back and hind quarters, chest and neck, the two front legs and shoulders and head. Packed it out to the truck in three trips. Shot at 7:08 and all packed up and in the truck headed home at 11:08.

Turned out to be a three-point. I had not seen the ends of the antlers as I described earlier. They had blended in with the branches of the bush the deer had been hiding behind.

https://i.imgur.com/tDqHTjW.jpg

Hahaha right on man, cool!

My first time in a stand this year and spent 8 hrs in it one day in the rain in early Sept, among other days. It is definitely a good pateince builder

TheObserver
10-09-2022, 09:11 AM
Really appreciate the tips! I’m definitely excited to start putting in the work to learn them and hopefully am able to find a couple pockets of them. Cheers

I use my binos a lot too even when I think it is redundant/useless in pretty thick timber, because when their coats change to more brown in the fall they can blend in incredibly well

Redthies
10-09-2022, 09:54 AM
My first time in a stand spent 8 hrs in it one day in the rain in early Sept. It is definitely a good pateince builder

You have WAY more patience than I do. I’m lucky to make it 3-4 hours on a dry day…

Redthies
10-09-2022, 09:56 AM

Congrats Michel. Nice little buck! Takes some of the pressure off the rest of the season for sure!

Harvest the Land
10-09-2022, 10:05 AM
Anyone that has been out for Blacktail's how has it been with this drought/heat? Anyone tagged one?

Got a stand up and was going to start sitting again when the moon calms down a bit was hoping for rain and cooler weather for mid October.

So far last month things were really dead as far as sightings and my cams. Have some additional spots up high to go to in Nov and when it snows but no cams up there.

Interested to hear from you guys

I would be out there today but busted a spark plug at the threads and cannot get it out of my truck and looks like I might have to replace the cylinder head - F me!

Went out once in mid September. My blacktail spots are beyond Hope (literally and figuratively) and along hwy 3. This is the first year I did not get out and scout this summer and clear trails in my blacktail spots as was too busy with renos and work. So it came as a major shock when the rivers/creeks I use for access, some of them had changed completely from the major storm last November, landslides galore and now there's so much debris, trees, rocks, earth etc that has made access to one of my go-too spots now impossible. Pretty devastating. Never again will I neglect summer scouting

Like Nature Girl said, its so friggin dry right now that its almost impossible to sneak up on them in the timber when there's no wind. I figure the best strategy right now, until the rains come and quieten the ground to make it possible to still hunt effectively, is to get up as high as possible above a cut block just inside the timber and get as big of a vantage point as possible and hope to spot something in dark/cool areas on the edges of the cut block below at first or last light. Spot and stalk. Either that or if you can into the timber quietly, really early in the dark and setup a blind/stand and be prepared to sit the entire day, that might work too (but only if you know the deer are in the area).

You're right about blacktails being harder to hunt than both WT and MD. They're just as leery and on alert and as elusive as WT, except they live in the steep thick salal and devils club jungle. Add to that the fact that there's simply way less of them population-wise to begin with, and the fact that they also do a little bit of migrating (i.e. they'll be in one drainage for a good chunk of the summer, but as soon as the leaves start falling they're often nowhere to be found). That was the big thing I learned hunting BT's - learn when they are and are not in the areas you hunt. Trail cams are very useful for that kind of intel

Good luck! Keep building on your success from last year

Redthies
10-10-2022, 03:24 AM
Yeah, as HTL says, they migrate. I was lucky enough to connect with one last year in a spot that an old timer told me about years ago. The intel came from a guy I know who is a recluse (but literally a genius and super nice guy) who has lived off the land since the 1960s. He put me on to the migration route for the local BT population back when I just started hunting. I was having a crap year last year, not finding much on my WT hunts, and then remembered his spot. I saw a bunch of does one day, then went back the next day and popped my buck. Having grown up in the Squamish area, BT are what we had. I first hunted WT only about 4 years ago.

Squamch
10-10-2022, 08:16 AM
Shot a nice fork opening morning. A buddy just shot one yesterday. Both on the island.

savage10
10-10-2022, 02:51 PM
Went out today, was super smokey and the whole area was a gong show of people. Probably going to wait until we get some rainy days and everyone else stays home before I’ll head back down there. Heading to my spot in region 3 next weekend to get after some mulies or maybe a black bear.

TheObserver
10-10-2022, 03:51 PM
Went out today, was super smokey and the whole area was a gong show of people. Probably going to wait until we get some rainy days and everyone else stays home before I’ll head back down there. Heading to my spot in region 3 next weekend to get after some mulies or maybe a black bear.

I will almost only go out for BT if it is raining or snowing, almost.

Hope ya come home with a Buck buddy!

TheObserver
10-10-2022, 04:01 PM
You have WAY more patience than I do. I’m lucky to make it 3-4 hours on a dry day…

Hahaha, only because I know this spot and know some of the resident Deer.

I could only do 8-12 hours in special spots that's forsure, couple years ago could barely sit still for 2

BrianS
10-11-2022, 12:03 AM

Congrats Michael should be some good eating!

MichelD
10-11-2022, 10:19 AM
Congrats Michael should be some good eating!

Thank you Brian. Yes, it has been good so far in the samples I've tried.

TheObserver
10-11-2022, 05:18 PM
I would be out there today but busted a spark plug at the threads and cannot get it out of my truck and looks like I might have to replace the cylinder head - F me!

Went out once in mid September. My blacktail spots are beyond Hope (literally and figuratively) and along hwy 3. This is the first year I did not get out and scout this summer and clear trails in my blacktail spots as was too busy with renos and work. So it came as a major shock when the rivers/creeks I use for access, some of them had changed completely from the major storm last November, landslides galore and now there's so much debris, trees, rocks, earth etc that has made access to one of my go-too spots now impossible. Pretty devastating. Never again will I neglect summer scouting

Like Nature Girl said, its so friggin dry right now that its almost impossible to sneak up on them in the timber when there's no wind. I figure the best strategy right now, until the rains come and quieten the ground to make it possible to still hunt effectively, is to get up as high as possible above a cut block just inside the timber and get as big of a vantage point as possible and hope to spot something in dark/cool areas on the edges of the cut block below at first or last light. Spot and stalk. Either that or if you can into the timber quietly, really early in the dark and setup a blind/stand and be prepared to sit the entire day, that might work too (but only if you know the deer are in the area).

You're right about blacktails being harder to hunt than both WT and MD. They're just as leery and on alert and as elusive as WT, except they live in the steep thick salal and devils club jungle. Add to that the fact that there's simply way less of them population-wise to begin with, and the fact that they also do a little bit of migrating (i.e. they'll be in one drainage for a good chunk of the summer, but as soon as the leaves start falling they're often nowhere to be found). That was the big thing I learned hunting BT's - learn when they are and are not in the areas you hunt. Trail cams are very useful for that kind of intel

Good luck! Keep building on your success from last year

Hope success to you to my friend!

And you are right I should have been more clear in my first post about BT, a lot of BT will migrate for sure.

The ones I was talking about strictly applied to my spot and those particular Deers behaviour.

Samuel
10-29-2022, 09:08 PM
I've only been out for a day up high in the Chilliwack vallley and followed a set of doe and buck tracks for a while in steep timber. Terrain looked promising and I hope to get back on a rainy/snowy day. I've had a couple cameras set at my folks place in low country since September and just started seeing deer movement in the last few days, still mostly at night. I'm going to sit in my saddle for them, but would love to get one still hunting out of the mountains. Hope ya'll have good luck!

Redthies
10-30-2022, 07:16 AM
This one was walking past my friends house in Pt Roberts. Time to get that Form 6 filled out…

https://i.postimg.cc/x1Yq1JG1/7-CC13-EB0-E880-4-D3-E-9-D0-B-590-D24-E6-B423.jpg (https://postimg.cc/zVtqdfPs)

stixnstones
10-30-2022, 12:42 PM
I take it that deer is an American citizen

caddisguy
10-30-2022, 02:33 PM
Been struggling this season. Lost access to all of my go to places, either gates or washouts. Actually got gated into one of said places one weekend. Apparently we were trapped for two days, just didn't realize it. No signage or anything. Just been my luck this season lol. Be cool if one day I can get all my cameras back. Have a total of 11 stranded in 3 different MU's

Thought about exploring some of the more busy local areas but fear all the yahoos, coming back to a looted and burned out vehicle and such. There is one hiking trailhead in particular I know is a migration route, but thieves and vandals work that area 24/7. Was thinking about maybe getting dropped off there and picked up the next day. Not my usual MO but one must adapt!

This next week should be good for anyone who has a spot. Snow line coming down and lots of precipitation. Watch out for washouts ;)

TheObserver
10-30-2022, 03:22 PM
Been struggling this season. Lost access to all of my go to places, either gates or washouts. Actually got gated into one of said places one weekend. Apparently we were trapped for two days, just didn't realize it. No signage or anything. Just been my luck this season lol. Be cool if one day I can get all my cameras back. Have a total of 11 stranded in 3 different MU's

Thought about exploring some of the more busy local areas but fear all the yahoos, coming back to a looted and burned out vehicle and such. There is one hiking trailhead in particular I know is a migration route, but thieves and vandals work that area 24/7. Was thinking about maybe getting dropped off there and picked up the next day. Not my usual MO but one must adapt!

This next week should be good for anyone who has a spot. Snow line coming down and lots of precipitation. Watch out for washouts ;)

Man 11 cams stranded that sucks dude! Expensive especially if your running them with Lithiums ontop of the cam and cards.

It should be starting to get good now until end of season especially if we get snow in our spots in Nov/Dec

TheObserver
10-30-2022, 03:23 PM
Just got back from Okanagan, excited to check my cams down here have left them alone for a month

caddisguy
10-30-2022, 03:33 PM
Man 11 cams stranded that sucks dude! Expensive especially if your running them with Lithiums ontop of the cam and cards.

It should be starting to get good now until end of season especially if we get snow in our spots in Nov/Dec

I'll get them back eventually. It will be cool to get all that footage. I'd say there's a slight 10% chance of getting into one of those areas this season. I'd wager pretty much 100% late spring 2023. I don't think there will be any loss, just delayed gratification and maybe some corrosion from leaking batteries. Some people have bank accounts, I just hide trailcams all over the place. This one's a term deposit lol

TheObserver
10-30-2022, 03:45 PM
I'll get them back eventually. It will be cool to get all that footage. I'd say there's a slight 10% chance of getting into one of those areas this season. I'd wager pretty much 100% late spring 2023. I don't think there will be any loss, just delayed gratification and maybe some corrosion from leaking batteries. Some people have bank accounts, I just hide trailcams all over the place. This one's a term deposit lol

For sure! I'm sure there will be a few that will be dead batteries especially if on video.

Lithiums are not supposed to leak, never had one leak on me. They are expensive though.

I'm leaving one up in one of my Elk spots will be cool next spring when I go up to see whats on it

TheObserver
10-31-2022, 05:22 AM
This one was walking past my friends house in Pt Roberts. Time to get that Form 6 filled out…

https://i.postimg.cc/x1Yq1JG1/7-CC13-EB0-E880-4-D3-E-9-D0-B-590-D24-E6-B423.jpg (https://postimg.cc/zVtqdfPs)

That's a really nice BT!! What's a form 6?

Redthies
10-31-2022, 09:05 AM
Form 6 is the ATF paperwork to import firearms and ammunition into the USA. We sold our place at the point years ago, so I’m not up on whether or not it’s bow only?

TheObserver
10-31-2022, 10:15 AM
Form 6 is the ATF paperwork to import firearms and ammunition into the USA. We sold our place at the point years ago, so I’m not up on whether or not it’s bow only?

Ohh is that buck in the USA or something?

Point Roberts that is in Delta IIRC? I think but not 100% sure, that Surrey/Langley/Delta you can't even hunt with a bow anymore, no hunting at all. But would have to double check my FVSAL map when home. What f****ng BS hey!!

If I was your buddy i'd be a huntin for them sheds come the new year! If I couldn't hunt him lol

Redthies
10-31-2022, 09:51 PM
Point Roberts is part of Washington, but only accessible through Tsawwassen. I’m not sure on the regs in that part of the state.

jshansen
11-01-2022, 08:42 AM
I got one on sunday, he was smaller than I normally prefer to shoot but it's been a really tough season so I took the opportunity. But now that the rut is really cranking up I'm seeing bucks moving I kind of regret shooting that buck. Thankful for a second buck tag so I can take my time finding the big one.

TheObserver
11-01-2022, 08:50 AM
Point Roberts is part of Washington, but only accessible through Tsawwassen. I’m not sure on the regs in that part of the state.

Ohh k got ya

TheObserver
11-01-2022, 08:54 AM
I got one on sunday, he was smaller than I normally prefer to shoot but it's been a really tough season so I took the opportunity. But now that the rut is really cranking up I'm seeing bucks moving I kind of regret shooting that buck. Thankful for a second buck tag so I can take my time finding the big one.

Nice, congrats! Yeah the two bag limit is awesome for sure so you can fall back on that now you got some meat in the freezer.

Going to sit in my stand tonight and check my cam there hopefully the Bucks I have been watching spirng/summer are back around there now that the rains are back.

Really hoping to get an opportunity at atleast one of the two I would like to take. Going to be rattling and using other means of bringing them in, but some days will just sit still and keep quiet

Camp Cook
11-05-2022, 04:35 PM
I shot one last week first blacktail buck I have seen all fall season.

Over the last 11 years I have shot 17 region 2 blacktail bucks I do not even use trail cams now I just go to where I know they rut/bed down, travel or follow does.

Best advise I can give is if its raining go hunting - look for does - once you find the does keep going back to where they were the bucks will eventually start showing up.

I do not use cover scents I use the wind but it gets tricky when the wind can't make up its mind which way its going to blow.

Another thought is look for drainages these do not have to be big creeks look for even the smallest flow of water the deer will be hanging out on either side of them or traveling up and down them.

Re still hunting I move super slow usually take max 3 silent as I can steps then glass the area but sometimes when it is raining hard I can move a lot faster and still be silent the key is to look for a part of an animal closest I have been able to sneak up to a doe is appr 3 yards.

This last buck I spotted his white muzzle at appr 60 yards that is all I could see of him for about 5 min he never moved I don't think he even knew I was there.

The rut is full on right now so get out even if it is for only an hour...

5 spike
11-06-2022, 03:17 AM
Managed to kill a three point mid Oct with the shotgun off island on another island.

TheObserver
11-07-2022, 09:42 AM
They came back up to my area within a day or two of the rains, the Bucks are starting to move hard

caddisguy
11-07-2022, 11:33 AM
My blacktail status this season is... complicated lol

We did go out for a one nighter over the weekend though in search of possible new areas. Went to a place I previously swore off. Checked out a few roads and such, just looking for a decent place to camp... ended up not only finding a good place to camp, but sweet blacktail turf with loads of sign. For the first time in a year, found myself actually on a serious BT hunt. What a great feeling. There's something about BT hunting that flips all kinds of switches in my brain that makes me feel awesome.

Seems like there's a chance I'll get a BT story up this year after all.

TheObserver
11-07-2022, 11:36 AM
My blacktail status this season is... complicated lol

We did go out for a one nighter over the weekend though in search of possible new areas. Went to a place I previously swore off. Checked out a few roads and such, just looking for a decent place to camp... ended up not only finding a good place to camp, but sweet blacktail turf with loads of sign. For the first time in a year, found myself actually on a serious BT hunt. What a great feeling. There's something about BT hunting that flips all kinds of switches in my brain that makes me feel awesome.

Seems like there's a chance I'll get a BT story up this year after all.

Hhahah atta guy, nice buddy right on!

Camp Cook
11-07-2022, 01:42 PM
If you guys are hunting the Chilliwack River valley remember it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 800 meters of the main Chilliwack Lake Road.

There is a large sign - map on the upstream side of the Sleese Creek bridge across from the salmon hatchery that has all of the details.

TheObserver
11-07-2022, 02:23 PM
If you guys are hunting the Chilliwack River valley remember it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 800 meters of the main Chilliwack Lake Road.

There is a large sign - map on the upstream side of the Sleese Creek bridge across from the salmon hatchery that has all of the details.

Thanks Dad!

TheObserver
11-07-2022, 02:24 PM

Hahaha just joshin', not for me this year plan on it next year though thanks for the heads up had no clue!

caddisguy
11-07-2022, 02:27 PM

Always been tempted to check out that valley and see if there's a place I can set up camp somewhere up a spur and hunt out of it. There are a few places I have thought about in there that I can pretty much guarantee have a fair number of bucks, but coming back to a stolen catalytic converter seems about as likely. Though if anyone has any secret honey holes with a good place to camp near by off the beaten path, feel free to PM me those ;)

Super excited for this long weekend. Got some plans lined up. Hopefully we'll see some a bunch of BT down posts here on HBC.

digger dogger
11-07-2022, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=caddisguy;2370451]Always been tempted to check out that valley and see if there's a place I can set up camp somewhere up a spur and hunt out of it. There are a few places I have thought about in there that I can pretty much guarantee have a fair number of bucks, but coming back to a stolen catalytic converter seems about as likely. Though if anyone has any secret honey holes with a good place to camp near by off the beaten path, feel free to PM me those ;)

Hey Caddis, check out vedder mountain, it has some great deer, hunting.
I’ve shot a few over the yrs and it’s been good for bobcats too.

caddisguy
11-07-2022, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=caddisguy;2370451]Always been tempted to check out that valley and see if there's a place I can set up camp somewhere up a spur and hunt out of it. There are a few places I have thought about in there that I can pretty much guarantee have a fair number of bucks, but coming back to a stolen catalytic converter seems about as likely. Though if anyone has any secret honey holes with a good place to camp near by off the beaten path, feel free to PM me those ;)

[quote]Hey Caddis, check out vedder mountain, it has some great deer, hunting.
I’ve shot a few over the yrs and it’s been good for bobcats too.

Sweet tip there. Thanks! Will keep that one in my back pocket for sure.

Alpine_89
11-07-2022, 07:36 PM
https://i.imgur.com/lW1lFGU.jpg

Got this booner on camera up chwk lk rd. Sorry can't tell you where ;)
photo is shit but he is 4x5

Alpine_89
11-07-2022, 07:37 PM
https://i.imgur.com/vM0N3Ap.jpg

Alpine_89
11-07-2022, 07:57 PM
So there are definitely some big bucks out there. Anyone who thinks they don’t exist obviously doesn’t believe in ghosts ��

last light
11-07-2022, 08:24 PM
^^^Awesome buck, hopefully you can get him. Just curious what was the time stamp on the trail cam pic? Seems they move a lot after dark, thanks

Alpine_89
11-07-2022, 09:00 PM
It was 7:30pm on Oct 30 last year. Had not snowed yet that year.

caddisguy
11-07-2022, 09:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/lW1lFGU.jpg

Got this booner on camera up chwk lk rd. Sorry can't tell you where ;)
photo is shit but he is 4x5

Amazing specimen right there. Whether he's around or not, those genetics will persist and bucks like that will keep popping up. Here's hoping you can get one in your sights!

last light
11-07-2022, 10:42 PM
It was 7:30pm on Oct 30 last year. Had not snowed yet that year.

Thanks for the reply. Good luck in your pursuit!

Looking forward to the pics of him having a dirt nap 😉

walks with deer
11-09-2022, 12:37 AM
BLACKTAIL HUNTERS,ANYONE TAG ONE YET?

Tag what the hunter? Like had sex with another hunter..? Weird is this like a new fade or something? Must have started on the island somwhere like Jordan River...

Hmm well count me out!

TheObserver
11-09-2022, 09:28 AM
BLACKTAIL HUNTERS,ANYONE TAG ONE YET?

Tag what the hunter? Like had sex with another hunter..? Weird is this like a new fade or something? Must have started on the island somwhere like Jordan River...

Hmm well count me out!

Hahaha w.tf!!!........

"Must have started on the island somewhere like Jordan River..." lol!

Camp Cook
11-09-2022, 05:15 PM
For anyone thinking of hunting areas that are close to the Fraser Valley in region 2 make sure you have your Fraser Valley Special area hunting license and check the Fraser Valley Special area regulations closely many areas in the surrounding mountains are not legal to hunt without it also check for areas that are closed to shooting single projectile firearms.

The license is only $10 and could save you a major fine - confiscation of your firearms/vehicle.

caddisguy
11-09-2022, 06:27 PM
For anyone thinking of hunting areas that are close to the Fraser Valley in region 2 make sure you have your Fraser Valley Special area hunting license and check the Fraser Valley Special area regulations closely many areas in the surrounding mountains are not legal to hunt without it also check for areas that are closed to shooting single projectile firearms.

The license is only $10 and could save you a major fine - confiscation of your firearms/vehicle.

^^^ good reminder there

caddisguy
11-14-2022, 04:14 PM

Thinking about this more and looking at the regs, seems like hunting within the 800M of the main road might actually be a good way to go. Could be wrong, but I'd wager there would be a lot less hunting pressure and maybe just maybe those deer feel good and safe ;)

jshansen
11-14-2022, 04:50 PM
I'm tagged out but my hardest season by far though, hunted almost everyday of the season, sure didn't see many deer.

Camp Cook
11-17-2022, 02:11 PM
Thinking about this more and looking at the regs, seems like hunting within the 800M of the main road might actually be a good way to go. Could be wrong, but I'd wager there would be a lot less hunting pressure and maybe just maybe those deer feel good and safe ;)

Just need to be good with a bow and arrow I'm not that good anymore.

One more thing don't be stupid use your freaking brain = I witnessed this last weekend don't be shooting towards the valleys without a backstop for your bullets = people - houses - traffic is down below you morons live amoungst us...

caddisguy
11-17-2022, 03:00 PM
Just need to be good with a bow and arrow I'm not that good anymore.

One more thing don't be stupid use your freaking brain = I witnessed this last weekend don't be shooting towards the valleys without a backstop for your bullets = people - houses - traffic is down below you morons live amoungst us...

Yeah it's is amazing how careless some can be not knowing where they are shooting and not using a backstop. I have been in that unfortunate situation a few times. One case in particular my wife and I had to take cover up against a hill side for an hour with hundreds of bullets whistling over us and hitting trees in between us. Some morons in the cut block approx 800M away were just shooting into the treeline as if it were a backstop. Also had people just shooting straight down FSR's... "hey, do you mind shooting the other way into that nice backstop over there? I'd like to drive down that road" ... "yeah ok sure no problem. Hey, do you know where that road goes?" ... "yeah straight for about 7km and not uncommon for people to be down there" ... In another case we had one whistle over our heads... went down and talked to the guys, asked them to be safe, that one whistled over our heads... was just "oh sorry, yeah I just wanted to fire one up towards the mountain" and points straight up the hill to where we were camped.. sigh

Anyway, back to BT's... figure I'll hit a different area (not Chilliwack) where we found good sign a couple weeks back... but thinking about the whole bow thing, I'll probably do a little scouting around some of those no shooting areas in 2-3 sometime before next fall. I lucked out a couple years back and got a 3pt with a bow... maybe pull it off again

Cboyd
11-18-2022, 08:29 PM
No luck yet but I did find a rut hole so hopefully next year I can carpet bomb it with trail camera's and pull one out of there. I believe the party is over now so maybe next year. That being said has anyone ever found a rut hole before. Any tips on how to hunt it would be much appreciated.

Wentrot
11-19-2022, 06:25 AM
No luck yet but I did find a rut hole so hopefully next year I can carpet bomb it with trail camera's and pull one out of there. I believe the party is over now so maybe next year. That being said has anyone ever found a rut hole before. Any tips on how to hunt it would be much appreciated.

i am also in the Fraser valley, the party is most certainly not over. Go kill one.

Camp Cook
11-19-2022, 06:39 AM
I waiting for the forecasted rains next week hoping that will get some movement happening

Nothing has been moving in my areas = I've only seen one doe in 2 weeks.

Camp Cook
11-24-2022, 08:07 PM
rains came only saw one doe

I really relate to this meme right now LOL...

https://scontent.fyvr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/316954764_10225483922137302_1055858603828789922_n. jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=X2wcZZ1lDv4AX8G5Wy4&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=00_AfA5EtCgt7BWMtYETbiu8rGj8b3L8iDXh32xdIpvY6Du dQ&oe=638576F3

TheObserver
11-24-2022, 08:54 PM
rains came only saw one doe

I really relate to this meme right now LOL...

https://scontent.fyvr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/316954764_10225483922137302_1055858603828789922_n. jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=X2wcZZ1lDv4AX8G5Wy4&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=00_AfA5EtCgt7BWMtYETbiu8rGj8b3L8iDXh32xdIpvY6Du dQ&oe=638576F3

Dude me too! Been a tough week.

After using cams this year and really analyzing BT's and their behaviour in my main area, first week of Nov is absolutely hands down the best chances to get a Mature Buck imo. Next year that is the week I am taking off for Deer.

22-23 to end of Oct good too, but first week of Nov is prime, to 15th still being really good. For this area anyways

TheObserver
11-24-2022, 08:54 PM
But it ain't over yet, be out there every minute I can until the 15th

Camp Cook
11-24-2022, 09:12 PM
Dude me too! Been a tough week.

After using cams this year and really analyzing BT's and their behaviour in my main area, first week of Nov is absolutely hands down the best chances to get a Mature Buck imo. Next year that is the week I am taking off for Deer.

22-23 to end of Oct good too, but first week of Nov is prime, to 15th still being really good. For this area anyways

I find last week of Oct to Nov 15 is the best time.

I have taken a few in Dec so not giving up yet...

Samuel
11-25-2022, 09:35 PM
No luck yet, just found tracks and poop. I haven't been able to get out while the weather has been crappy. I'll keep trying until the season closes. Back-up plan is to head to the states and dart a doe on my folks property. Not my ideal "hunt" but I want to eat venison instead of tags this year.

Samuel
11-25-2022, 09:37 PM
With the unusual weather and from my understanding of the rut being tied to weather temps, do you think the rut has been pushed back a bit later this year?

Edit: Camp Cook, I was trying to reply to your last post.

Dench
11-25-2022, 10:08 PM
I'll be going out on Sunday and that'll probably be my last hunt

Camp Cook
11-26-2022, 04:04 AM
With the unusual weather and from my understanding of the rut being tied to weather temps, do you think the rut has been pushed back a bit later this year?

Edit: Camp Cook, I was trying to reply to your last post.

I don't think its any different here for the rut example I shot a buck almost a month ago now he was with a doe.

Weather then changed and I believe they went nocturnal I only saw one doe then this morning I found 5 different does none had bucks with them.

Coolest part about still hunting in wet weather is appr 30 min after spotting one of the does I was able to get within 5 - 6 yards of a her this morning.

Wentrot
11-26-2022, 06:52 AM
Buck with two does escaped me two days ago. Fingers crossed for today.

ccrcc
11-27-2022, 12:41 AM
rut is triggered by amount if daylight. behaviour is affected by weather.
have shot deer in late november and into december, all have been fine eats.
don't give up. they're still out there.

last light
12-02-2022, 07:41 PM
Anyone seeing anything lately? Since the snow it seems like they have ditched the new logged out areas. I have found some fresh track in 5-7 year old reprod sections that are surrounded by timber. What's the trick to finding them in the late season? Anyway, good luck to all for what's left of the 2022 season!

Camp Cook
12-02-2022, 07:56 PM
I'm waiting for a fresh dump of snow then locate some tracks and follow them I've been fairly successful over the years doing this.

TheObserver
12-02-2022, 08:01 PM
Anyone seeing anything lately? Since the snow it seems like they have ditched the new logged out areas. I have found some fresh track in 5-7 year old reprod sections that are surrounded by timber. What's the trick to finding them in the late season? Anyway, good luck to all for what's left of the 2022 season!

I saw three today, 80 yards and had the bow so wouldn't have tried but they just froze and I watched them for some time, Does anyways but good to see. Saw them at 8:30am on a somewhat open (for region 2) south slope. I spotted them while glassing. (One may have been a repeat as I went back hours later and it was close but did not see the other so not sure)

Going out with the Rifle tomorrow. I haven't had anything come into rattling since the 15th and I have stepped it down for post rut, going to switch over to just raking now if I do anything maybe a bit of grunting. But I hear rattling can still be good right now for smaller insubordinate Bucks.

last light
12-02-2022, 08:08 PM
CampCook, tomorrow may be your day for tracking in some fresh snow. Forecast says some is coming overnight. Good luck, hopefully you can track one down.

Observer, nice to hear that you're still spotting something. Gives us hope that one will be a buck next time. I have had zero luck rattling. Minimal luck with the can call, and minimal also with the grunt tube.

TheObserver
12-02-2022, 08:20 PM
CampCook, tomorrow may be your day for tracking in some fresh snow. Forecast says some is coming overnight. Good luck, hopefully you can track one down.

Observer, nice to hear that you're still spotting something. Gives us hope that one will be a buck next time. I have had zero luck rattling. Minimal luck with the can call, and minimal also with the grunt tube.

Yeah like CampCook said tracking in fresh snow is huge, last year after season closed I visited my spots and hiked extensively learning more about trail networks and it helped me immensely for this year, and last year during season I followed a fresh set in snow and for the first time actually caught up to the Deer it was a Doe, had it been a Buck though I could have cut a tag was cool. I was following tracks today.

Look up Scott Haugen and his rattling sequence he has videos on his site, I bought his Blacktail book and would highly recommend it! Best hunting book I have read.

I break sticks and beat the sh*t out of the ground and thrash stuff and add a couple long grunts at the end when aggressive pre rut and peak rut are on and it worked twice this year (one time was a big 4 point), I believe that carries through the forest floor and they really hear that and makes it realistic, but start slow I don't do that until third sequence, try it next year, now I would be more timid with the rattling as things are not as intense anymore.

Yeah the can for me has never done anything, I have been looking at trying an aktis blacktail call. I have heard the can is actually more of a distress call I just blow air through it and keep it short now. But still nothing yet.

I actually held my binos on one of the Does and did a grunt then did a full tip can call, boy you should have seen her ears and her perk up forward when I grunted, the can call next to nothing.

last light
12-02-2022, 08:47 PM
Thanks for sharing all this great info Observer. There is always new things to learn when hunting bt. I'll have to try rattling next year during peak rut for sure.

BTW the can call also worked on bucks only during peak rut. One gave me the slip, and the second one came home with me. This was a couple years ago though. This year seems to be much different.

Camp Cook
12-02-2022, 08:57 PM

I do snow plowing so if it dumps tonight my son and I will be up all night working won't get out until Sunday morning now...

TheObserver
12-02-2022, 08:58 PM
Thanks for sharing all this great info Observer. There is always new things to learn when hunting bt. I'll have to try rattling next year during peak rut for sure.

BTW the can call also worked on bucks only during peak rut. One gave me the slip, and the second one came home with me. This was a couple years ago though. This year seems to be much different.

Yeah the learning never ends that is for sure. Check out his rattling sequences, he has a pre/post rut and peak rut, worked for me the first time I tried it! Also if your hunting resident Deer I wait for 1-2 hours in one set up with a steady wind, where as bigger country places higher i'll do the 20-25 min thing and move on into the wind. I'm really throwing everything i've got at BT's next year I want to get a mature Buck, after Elk it will be almost strictly BT for me until end of season (unless I get a Moose draw... but I won't lol)

Did you tip the can and let the call go all the way to the end when those Bucks reacted? Or did you cut it short? I've tried both but will keep trying nothing yet

last light
12-02-2022, 09:04 PM
Two consecutive full can calls, then wait. Bucks need to be close though in order to react. In my case, I think one was within 50 yards. The second one was 75 yards out.
There was very fresh sign at the time.
Another thing to remember is to get hidden and ready to shoot BEFORE calling sequence. Don't ask me how I know

Camp Cook
12-02-2022, 09:07 PM
This the guy?

https://www.scotthaugen.com/rattling-blacktail-deer/

TheObserver
12-02-2022, 09:07 PM
Two consecutive full can calls, then wait. Bucks need to be close though in order to react. In my case, I think one was within 50 yards. The second one was 75 yards out.
There was very fresh sign at the time.
Another thing to remember is to get hidden and ready to shoot BEFORE calling sequence. Don't ask me how I know

Okay, yeah I have learnt a lot this year so will be going about it in a much more efficient manner using it from here on out, last year wasn't using it very wisely I don't think.

Hahaha yep!! Learnt that lesson with calling this year with Elk, almost got ran over by a good Bull hooves sticking in the ground at 8 yards lol

Hope ya get out and get one buddy! I'll be out every time I can until the 15th

TheObserver
12-02-2022, 09:09 PM
This the guy?

https://www.scotthaugen.com/rattling-blacktail-deer/

Yeah that is him, first time rattling his sequence worked then rattled another one in 4 days later same sequence.

I don't hold back with the aggresive pre rut and peak rut sequence I smash the antlers together and really beat sh*t up lol

But something he doesn't mention in there but in his book is when targeting more resident Deer, I wait 1-2 hours ina set up. If I had of left after 20-25 mins I would have never seen both Bucks. The one took about 45 mins and the other 35 mins to come in.

His book was really informative as well, seems like a really humble good guy.

last light
12-02-2022, 09:19 PM
Thanks for posting the link to the rattling vid CC.
Thanks for the info and we'll wishes TO. You bet I'll be trying as much as I can for rest of season! Best of luck to you and CC as well! Hopefully somebody will have good news to report back with. Stay safe everyone and straight shootin

Camp Cook
12-02-2022, 09:24 PM
I have antlers here need to find some three point ones these ones should be out in my shipping container from Nov 9 2021

https://i.postimg.cc/fyyGYrYB/Nov-9-2021-blacktail-buck-Contender-338-JDJ-2-180gr-Accubonds-at-2500fps.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

TheObserver
12-02-2022, 09:29 PM
I have antlers here need to find some three point ones these ones should be out in my shipping container from Nov 9 2021

https://i.postimg.cc/fyyGYrYB/Nov-9-2021-blacktail-buck-Contender-338-JDJ-2-180gr-Accubonds-at-2500fps.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Nice Buck!

I use a 4 point blacktail shed and a 3 point white tail shed, not very big. The big 4 point and small 2 point came into them. Me and the old man got a nice size 4 point Mulie set I am going to make for rattling bigger country and when it is raining, they are really loud! I found this year when it was pissing the smaller set I was using got really noticeably quieter

Camp Cook
12-03-2022, 05:38 AM
Nice Buck!

We shot this one the very next morning

https://i.postimg.cc/RZhSHYqY/Blacktail-buck-Nov-10-2021-338-JDJ-2-200gr-SST-s-at-2350fps.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Camp Cook
12-03-2022, 07:34 AM
Yeah that is him, first time rattling his sequence worked then rattled another one in 4 days later same sequence.

I don't hold back with the aggresive pre rut and peak rut sequence I smash the antlers together and really beat sh*t up lol

But something he doesn't mention in there but in his book is when targeting more resident Deer, I wait 1-2 hours ina set up. If I had of left after 20-25 mins I would have never seen both Bucks. The one took about 45 mins and the other 35 mins to come in.

Good info thanks could be the reason I have never had luck with rattling I leave to soon...

Walking Buffalo
12-03-2022, 08:22 AM

There is no right answer for how long to wait, other than long enough.
Long enough could be two minutes or two days.

Been rattlin deer for 30 years. Every set up is unique, even in places I've rattled a hundred times.
Never know what will happen, never know if I left "too soon" even if I was there all day.

While it is near impossible to make big noise with little antlers, it is easy to make just a little noise with big antlers. ;)

More importantly to "resident" deer, they will quickly become educated to your game.
They will recognize the sound of your antlers and the style of your rattling.
They will know that you are making the same noise in the same place.... even know that you entered the domain from the same path.
You will need to change up your game if you are playing the same opponent.

TheObserver
12-03-2022, 01:25 PM
There is no right answer for how long to wait, other than long enough.
Long enough could be two minutes or two days.

Been rattlin deer for 30 years. Every set up is unique, even in places I've rattled a hundred times.
Never know what will happen, never know if I left "too soon" even if I was there all day.

While it is near impossible to make big noise with little antlers, it is easy to make just a little noise with big antlers. ;)

More importantly to "resident" deer, they will quickly become educated to your game.
They will recognize the sound of your antlers and the style of your rattling.
They will know that you are making the same noise in the same place.... even know that you entered the domain from the same path.
You will need to change up your game if you are playing the same opponent.

Yeah you never know when one is going to come within earshot for sure, the bigger Buck I rattled I was actually 2 minutes away from getting up and leaving when I heard sticks breaking and walking through the thicket, knew it was a Buck right away. A couple minutes later and I would have most likely been on my way would have never known.

With the resident Deer becoming educated to the sounds you make, they must forget by the time next season rolls around hey? Hoping to get this guy I rattled in and missed with my bow next year if he makes it

TheObserver
12-03-2022, 08:42 PM
We shot this one the very next morning

https://i.postimg.cc/RZhSHYqY/Blacktail-buck-Nov-10-2021-338-JDJ-2-200gr-SST-s-at-2350fps.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Nice work Brother! I got 2 as well last year 4x2 and a spiker both with bow. Trying to keep the streak going but not sure about this year winding down now. Saw another 3 today Doe's i'll be out there as much as I can before closing hopefully can seal the deal!

Had an abosuletly epic chance but fqn blew it:mad:

last light
12-03-2022, 09:18 PM
Found more deer track inside my boot tracks from 2 days ago. Also some big lion track that was not there last time. We're both looking for the same buck I guess!

TheObserver
12-03-2022, 09:26 PM
Found more deer track inside my boot tracks from 2 days ago. Also some big lion track that was not there last time. We're both looking for the same buck I guess!

I was at another place today and huge lion tracks as well. After the 15th I am going to be trying to cut fresh tracks, find fresh kills if possible and doing e calling (mostly cougar vocalization)

last light
12-03-2022, 09:39 PM
I think blacktail hunting is hard enough, for me anyway. Good on you for wanting to try though. I wish you success in your endeavor. Anyone who can accomplish finding a cat on their own, without dogs has accomplished one of the most ultimate hunts IMO

TheObserver
12-03-2022, 10:21 PM
I think blacktail hunting is hard enough, for me anyway. Good on you for wanting to try though. I wish you success in your endeavor. Anyone who can accomplish finding a cat on their own, without dogs has accomplished one of the most ultimate hunts IMO

I'm not going to hold my breath, definitely not for my first year trying. But it will be fun and learn some stuff, going to give it a good go for sure

dru88
12-04-2022, 08:18 AM
I am heading out for my last kick at the can next weekend up past Squamish and was wondering is it still worth rattling or are they completely done with their rut?
This is my first year hunting blacktail and any info would be a big help.

Camp Cook
12-04-2022, 01:45 PM
Just got back home followed the tracks of 3 different big bucks all where on the same south east facing freaking steep thick bush hillside but at different elevations all were heading away from the main valley back up into the high country.

I'm going with the rut is over and the migrant bucks are heading back to where they winter and only the local resident bucks are still around.

One was the largest blacktail deer track I have seen in 30 years my boots are size 11.

https://i.postimg.cc/bJMK0PQ5/Dec-4-2022-big-Blacktail-buck-track.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

last light
12-04-2022, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the update CC. Too bad you couldn't catch up to one of those bucks. Looks like you were on the heels of Big Papa. Maybe next time, it's not over yet boys and girls. We still have 11 days left in region 2

savage10
12-04-2022, 06:34 PM
I am heading out for my last kick at the can next weekend up past Squamish and was wondering is it still worth rattling or are they completely done with their rut?

Saw a smaller buck today following 2 does in Chilliwack area.

Ferenc
12-04-2022, 07:16 PM
They are still rubbing .... shavings on the snow

TheObserver
12-04-2022, 07:39 PM

Hey buddy, yeah it is definitely not too late worth a try. It is nowhere near the high percentage like it was in Nov but can still be done, especially with smaller Bucks. Blacktails can be really curious.

But I wouldn't go very aggressive. If you look a page or two back I mentioned a website of a guy named Scott Haugen then CampCook posted a link, check it out it will give you a good starting point then can put your own spin on it. I rattled in two Bucks this year using his sequences as a template.

With rattling your odds are WAY better in an area with high Buck to Doe ratio, not sure if you have scouted it at all but just something to keep in mind.

Hope you get one!

Camp Cook
12-04-2022, 07:55 PM
Was thinking of those videos today and wishing I had brought antlers - call as I was following the tracks

A lot of it was thick bush but there were areas that opened up into big timber would have been perfect area to try rattling

I'm going to see what antlers I can dig up right now...

Found the 3x3 antlers :)

:)

TheObserver
12-04-2022, 08:16 PM
Was thinking of those videos today and wishing I had brought antlers - call as I was following the tracks

A lot of it was thick bush but there were areas that opened up into big timber would have been perfect area to try rattling

I'm going to see what antlers I can dig up right now...

Found the 3x3 antlers :)

:)

I'll tell ya man, after rattling them in I will never step foot in the woods again without em during pre/peak/post rut! It gets your heart beatin that's for sure lol!

Now that I know I can bring them to me I will use it to my advantage while I can during that time frame.

I found the thick stuff to work good for me because they had to come looking around instead of being able to see and it allowed me to draw my bow to anchor both times and they didn't see or hear me, but of course need shooting lanes

One thing though I have heard from a couple sources is once the post rut starts like late Nov on the big f***ers are usually extremely hard to call in. Though not impossible, you never know with these things that's whats so fun about them. But apparently smaller and medium Bucks a lot get rattled in early Dec.