PDA

View Full Version : Help for first buck *region 3*

jessonml
11-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Hello all, this is my first post and my first year of hunting. I've tried several different areas (around Keremeos, Boston Bar, and South Side of Canim lake) My buddy got a 2x2 by Canim but I haven't found my buck yet.
I have one more weekend that I can give it a go and wanted a hand deciding where to head out. I've narrowed it down to either 3-31 Clinton area (Loon lake road to get out I think) or Empire Valley. I'm not afraid to hike.

I haven't hunted either of these areas and would like to go back to South Side Canim lake as I started to get a feel for the area but its closed there.
Where would you go? and do you have any tips on staying warm as I will be sleeping in a regular tent.
Any tips are appreciated and I will be checking this thread nightly in case anyone has any questions for me in order to help.

Thanks and I think this site is an amazing resource.

Mr. Dean
11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the show!!

I haven't any experience in the places you want to go but as for staying warm in a tent, nothing works better than a GOOD sleeping bag. Its the getting out of it in the morning that SUCKS.

Sure you don't want to go to Clearwater???

I'm sure there's others that can be more helpful. Sorry.

jessonml
11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks Mr. Dean.
I'd go to clearwater if there is a better chance at a buck there.
I'm coming from White Rock (Vancouver suburb) and I'm not that picky.
4x4 and good tires and lots of energy. I've put some major miles on that boots already and want all the hard work to pay off.

whitetailsheds
11-28-2007, 12:41 PM
I've heard that CLEARWATER area is good.......think I'll start travelling from the Peace area.

jessonml
11-28-2007, 12:46 PM
I'd need some directions from the PROVINCIAL ROUTE 5 / YELLOWHEAD HWY. to get into the bush if I was to go to Clearwater.
I have friends that have hunted Clinton area and Empire so I have directions for those spots but no idea for Clearwater.

Steeleco
11-28-2007, 12:49 PM
I've hunted the hills above Loon lake a couple of times. Saw lots of non shooters, and even a few good bucks in other folks camps. Where ever you go, best of luck.

Don't forget, you've got till the 15th of Dec down here in Reg 2. And there's no antler restriction. Do a search here on the site for Reg2 and make sure your coffee is full.!!

Calamity Jane
11-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Not familiar with the areas you are going to, so unfortunately no help there - but my advice for staying warm in a tent is to wear a toque to bed and if you have to pee in the middle of the night - get up and do it! Don't put it off till the morning. Your body loses a lot of heat because it is keeping all that extra liquid warm! I've been amazed some nights when I wake up FREEZING and then how much warmer I feel after I take a pee :)

Also - Clearwater's great but these guys are just making a joke related to another thread. Don't change your plans based entirely on that :)

GOOD LUCK!

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
The good news if you hunt region 3 ,is most guys are already tagged out and there wont be alot of pressure,the bad news is, the rut is over and the 4 points you are looking for will be bedded down in the timber and not easy to find.I would hunt region 2 where there is no antler restriction,if the road is good I would head into the Skagit Valley and look for fresh tracks in the cutblocks ,climb as high as you can so you can glass a big area and sit and wait.I would also forget the tent and sleep in the truck.:smile:

jessonml
11-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Ahh man I didn't think the rut would be over. I've been hearing conflicting information.
I've never heard of Skagit besides down in Washington but will research.
I'd sleep in the truck if I didn't invite two buddies.. might be a bit cramped but good advice. Thanks!

jessonml
11-28-2007, 02:59 PM
I was expecting some more comments on Empire... friends of mine pulled 4 bucks out of there on Remembrance Long Weekend and said that the big ones had yet to come down. Any truth in this?

Steeleco
11-28-2007, 03:13 PM
The Skagit road turn off is only a few Km before Hope. It will take you to Ross lake, which does in fact cross the 49th. There's tons of hunting to be had in Reg 2. Non of it's too easy, but it's there!!

MattB
11-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Bucks are still rutting in empire as of this last weekend. They finish earlier in region 3 due to the lesser amount of does im guessing? More deer in reg 5 so more does needing to be bred, the rut tends to occur a bit later there from what ive heard.

BCrams
11-28-2007, 03:24 PM
And it is archery only after this Friday in Region 5 (Empire).

jessonml
11-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Got some bad info there. I was under the impression Empire was in 3.
In that case I have to stay in Region 3.
Anyone been up around Clinton lately and know if the rut is over or not?

Untouchable
11-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Was up in Clinton on the weekend. Hunted pretty hard, saw lots of deer, but not the guy I was I after. Between the partner and I, we saw 7 bucks, none of which had for sure 4 points. I slept up there in a tent about a month ago and it was freakin cold! My advice would be to get a hotel in town. Pay cash and between the three of you it is way cheaper and easier than you'd think. Plus a hot shower after a hike all day is worth every penny. It was -11 all day both days last weekend, so at night it would just suck in a tent. Good Luck

Will
11-28-2007, 04:13 PM
The good news if you hunt region 3 ,is most guys are already tagged out and there wont be alot of pressure,the bad news is, the rut is over and the 4 points you are looking for will be bedded down in the timber and not easy to find.
Except for the 4x4 I seen on Westyde rd this morning with his Nose right up a does wazzoo ! ;)
Not ALL the Bucks are done.......and not all the tags are Cut:cool:
(probably stay that way for me:roll:)

lightmag
11-28-2007, 05:14 PM
there still rutting in area 7!! north (PG)

ruttinbuck
11-28-2007, 05:47 PM
The further north you go the later the rut happens.
Gives the doe a better chance to be on greener feed {better milk}when the fawn is born.Better chance the fawn gets strong enough for that first winter.RB

SUAFOYT
11-28-2007, 05:53 PM
I've heard that CLEARWATER area is good.......think I'll start travelling from the Peace area.

When are you going to learn, no deer in Clearwater area, more in Peace area.

Mtn Man
11-28-2007, 06:27 PM
hey there, my hunting is done for the year, unless my wife says otherwise, empire valley can be a great place to hunt this time of year. Usually the later the better because snow is a for sure thing. the snow always brings the big ones down. I have a buddy that got back today. Will try to see how he made out. If your hunting your lucky. Sleep in the tent wear fleece pj's. maybe throw a wool blanket over your sleeping bag.

rifleman
11-28-2007, 06:55 PM
I've hunted empire a couple of times. Lots of deer. We saw a few big bucks. Some dead on the meat pole. Some live running the other way.
We stayed at the caving shed. You can set up your tent inside if there's room. Hunt the back side of the mountain to the east. You don't mind hiking so go where few people go, farther the better. Don't forget the work starts after you squeeze the trigger. We pack our deer out because it's to far to drag them. If you go to the end of the rd. by the farm, walk on the east side of the fields & go over the edge towards the Fraser. We always saw alot of deer there. Good luck.... shoot straight. Let us know how you do....

rifleman
11-28-2007, 08:05 PM
wow end of nov. already. thanx M.Dean

ryanb
11-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Been out the last few days, bucks are definitely still rutting a bit, but the fullish moon and long nights means not much action in daylight hours.

bsa30-06
11-28-2007, 09:22 PM
The Skagit road turn off is only a few Km before Hope. It will take you to Ross lake, which does in fact cross the 49th. There's tons of hunting to be had in Reg 2. Non of it's too easy, but it's there!!

you can say the "none of its to easy" part again.One of these years im gonna get to take a picture of me and a reg 2 buck, just to prove i can do it and that they do exsist.:lol:

jessonml ,Best of luck where ever you decide to go, and remember to take pictures.Oh and welcome to HBC

jessonml
11-28-2007, 11:39 PM
You guys are awesome. I've never seen this much reply to a question about where to go.
I'll definately post pics if we get something.
Thanks everyone and if anyone has anything else to add please do.

Fall_Guy
11-28-2007, 11:41 PM
If you want to stay warm in your tent try heating up some rocks by the fire then wrapping them in old towels and taking in your sleeping bag. Be careful not to get rocks super hot or you could burn your towel or yourself. Please be careful not to get burnt if you try this.

pmj
11-29-2007, 01:26 AM
Hi jessonml, Welcome to the site. Hhmm.. sleeping in a tent in the winter. It helps if you work your way into it. I am not sure of your gear or your experience here is a few tips from my experience:
1. A good pad under your sleeping bag is a must. The cold will come through the tent floor from the frozen ground.
2. A really good sleeping bag.
3. Humidity is a big problem. Three guys in a tent in minus temperatures will create a lot of condensation. Moisture will form on your gear especially your gun if it is in the tent. You need a lot of ventilation in the tent (read: it is the same temperature in the tent as outside!) unless you are using a wall tent with a stove.
4.Your drinking water will freeze at night unless you keep it warm.
5. Toque, as mentioned before, to keep your head warm at night.
6. At -10 c I slept in my wool long johns, merino wool socks, smart wool next to skin undershirt, toque and mummy sleeping bag rated -15 c (what ever that means). Had to pull the hood strings shut tight on the bag to keep the cold out.
7. Kept my clothes in the sleeping bag so they were warm when I got dressed.
8. Depending on your set up cooking can be a challenge. I made breakfast without getting out of my sleeping bag. Had stove set up in tent vestibule. Important safety tip: DO NOT BURN TENT DOWN!
Have fun. Be sure to check your maps and regulations.

hunter1947
11-29-2007, 05:53 AM
Welcome to the forum JessonnmI. I used to get into some good hunting around Maiden creek drainage. The turnoff is about 12klm on your left past cash creek. the road used to be called the 4800 RD. Go back in there about 7klm and you will come to a why in the road ,take a right there. Then continue about another klm and you will cross over the Maiden creek the second time. Camp anywhere there or somewhere in the area. When hunting from your camp continue heading up that same road ,there are spurs all off that one road ,we picked up some nice deer there years back. As far as tenting goes take 3 good tarps and some dry wood from home. Take a warm sleeping bag and something to put over your head at night a tuque is what i use. Take lots of rope ,axe ,power saw ,lighter ,flashlight ,with extra bat. Tell others where you will be and what time you are going to be home. I usually take a photo copy of the area I will be in and mark on the map roughly were I will be camped. As far as getting up in the morning goes when i am in a tent when it is -20 out ,I take a 25 pound bottle of propane and i have a heater that screws onto the tank. this heater when on full has 10,000 BTU. I just turn it on for a few minutes to take the chill off the air. Don't leave it on for more then 2 or 3 minutes or you could get into trouble ,will eat up your Oxygen. Good luck on your hunt.:wink:

johnk
11-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Welcome Jessonml. I am on the border of 3-18/3-19 and the forecast for this weekend is highs of -11 and lows of -18. Please go extremely prepared for that. By the way on Tuesday the high is forecast at +8. Aint that always the way....

jessonml
11-29-2007, 06:44 PM
I certainly will. Just loaded up the truck like we're going to Alaska.
Thanks for all the help everyone.

horse280
11-29-2007, 07:37 PM
get your butt up to loon lake rd and hunt the hillside benches on the left about 4km before you hit the lake,not bad walking,not as much pressure as up higher and on the clinton side,you can hunt scottie ck.before the loon turnoff,or hunt the back end of loon near hihium lk.the rut is goin full bore right now and i mean now!screw the tent like bhf says and drink yourself to sleep at night then throw your keys away or better yet stay at one of the cabins at whispering pines resort on loon lk.i think its about 45.00 per night...dont go to places where you don't know acess or you'll waste all your prescious time....good luck shoot str8 and shoot 4!

Orangethunder
11-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Best of luck to you. Dont mess around man, supposed to be -21 in 100 MH this weekend!! I was going to go ice fishing if that tells you anything about how cold its been:shock:.

As for the rut its still kinda dwindling. One of the guys at work saw a nice buck chasing a doe near Clinton yesterday. Lets see some pics when you get back.

Cheers

M.Dean
12-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Looking at this weather, Lets all say a Prayer for Jessonml!!!

Will
12-01-2007, 10:02 AM
bright side...............
Your meat won't spoil ! ;)

Good Luck, Be safe, Have Fun ! & take Pics :cool:

jessonml
12-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Hey guys. Im back finally after having to stay in Lytton an extra night with the road shut down. Would have had to stay another night but took the Coqahalla home instead (glad I realized that).
After much discussion we ended up hunting China Gulch area. Drove in at night and ended up driving past some prime looking country. We realized this on Sunday afternoon and hunted the evening there. Saw one buck, 2 point, and one nice 4x4 in the back of a guys truck.
As for the area we camped and hunted most of the time... we saw TONS of fresh tracks on the fresh snow, some big ones, and some butt ends of deer taking off. It was very difficult to walk quietly and the bush was mostly quite dense. Im sure with more time we would have had a chance but some times it doesn't quite work out.
We stayed warm except when sitting and glassing in the early mornings and evening (that was a test) and set up an awesome camp with a huge fire both nights. Bought a heater like the one hunter1947 recommended and blasted out the cold before sleep and before getting out of the sleeping bags. What a difference. It was -22c on Sunday morning and very bright from the moon on the snow. Im sure the bucks had no problem finding everything they needed in the middle of the night and hunkered down all day. I heard what Im sure was sparring very early on Saturday morning and sat and watched the thicket it was coming from until I couldn;t feel my feet. Lots of tracks coming and going from it but they must have left from the other side.
Overall Im a bit frusterated as I have put tons of effor in to see very few bucks but at the same time I am so excited about this new sport that my friends and I can do til we are old and grey.
I learned a lot this weekend.
I also know where a great spot is after talking to the CO for a while on Sunday.
Until next year. Thanks for all the help from everyone. Would have loved to come on here and post some pics of a nice buck but that will have to wait til next year.
I'm going to keep reading and learning in my spare time this year and get ready for next season with a wall tent and stove.
Take care everyone.

Aaron Blom
12-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I just got back from a trip in the Chilcotin, not many big bucks, in fact not many legal bucks. I don't think there was enough snow to push them down yet. It is quiet likely that your buddies shot resident deer. I have hunted the Empire a far bit and would expect them to be down now with this fresh snow.

KevinB
12-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip! things can definitely get a little tougher after the rut starts to wind down, the bucks tend to lay a bit low for awhile. Keep at it!

Mr. Dean
12-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey guys. Im back...

You're headed in the right direction. Enjoy every second of it!

Glad to hear that you had a good time and made the best of it.

C'grats.

hunter1947
12-04-2007, 06:52 PM
You didn't get any deer but you learned something ,it all gets logged in the old mind till you need it again ,chock it up as experience. Glad you had a good time ,and yes there will be next year.

M.Dean
12-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Glad you guys had a good time! Every hunting trip you take is a good one! Keep at it and we'll be reading your stories!!! Yes, we would have went looking for you guys if you didn't return!!!

Hunterguy
12-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Seeing how everyone was so helpful with the areas you should go, how about sharing the really good spot the CO. told you of??? Just yanking your antler, save it for trade next year.