PDA

View Full Version : Boundary Country

Forks
10-04-2022, 09:43 AM
Heading up into the Boundary tomorrow after work for 5 days.
Anybody having success in this area? Temps look like they will be pretty warm still.

Should have fun either way. Good luck to everyone and happy hunting!

Redthies
10-05-2022, 09:48 PM
Very little moving in this area right now. I have does and fawns in my orchard, but almost zero sign of anything in the woods. It’s still hot hot hot here.

Forks
10-06-2022, 12:05 AM
Very little moving in this area right now. I have does and fawns in my orchard, but almost zero sign of anything in the woods. It’s still hot hot hot here.

ya that’s what I was figuring. Just rolled into town and it’s a very comfortable temperature compared to this time last year if memory serves me right. At least the old lady won’t be moaning about the icy mornings the next couple days in the bush!

Redthies
10-06-2022, 07:14 AM
ya that’s what I was figuring. Just rolled into town and it’s a very comfortable temperature compared to this time last year if memory serves me right. At least the old lady won’t be moaning about the icy mornings the next couple days in the bush!

What area are you in? I’ll say hi if I bump into you out there. I can see it now… me seeing other hunters and saying “Forks?”. They will surely be very confused. I’ll be the guy with two Weimaraners chasing birds.

Forks
10-06-2022, 08:17 AM
What area are you in? I’ll say hi if I bump into you out there. I can see it now… me seeing other hunters and saying “Forks?”. They will surely be very confused. I’ll be the guy with two Weimaraners chasing birds.

In grand forks. Plan is to head up north fork. 08 ranger with a ubuilt trailer with tepui tent on top. If the girlfriend sees your dogs, she will be saying hi first as she sprints down the road to pet the dogs haha

Linksman313
10-06-2022, 08:23 AM
Pretty darn warm with tons of hunters camped up all around,

Muleys still up high, get out and hike ridges for best success, get away from the quads on every roads

Whitetails in my backyard sorting out whats left of the garden

Bring your field radio as well loggers going full blast at the moment

Heard a large harvest in the Stewart Creek FSR area last year opened up a bunch of new territory

Good luck

Forks
10-09-2022, 07:46 PM
Thanks linksman! Unfortunately didn’t get up Stewart creek way. Trailer blew a leaf spring so limped back into town yesterday to deal with it.

nothing but grouse and bear droppings. Lots and lots of bear droppings. Surprisingly didn’t run into many hunters, maybe that means we were in the wrong area?! Oh well, fun was had overall and widened our little pocket that we know.oh ya, we did see one wt doe but she was gone and waiting for nobody. What do you guys do in this situation, is there hope that a wt darts into the forest and hunkers down? I was out of the truck pretty quick and didn’t hear a damn thing. It wasn’t the most inviting woods to walk down into but I guess I could have tried. We were only a couple clicks from camp so wasn’t really expecting to see a deer so soon on our way to check out an area.

Comfortably warm out there camping…ridiculously nice weather really…to boot, a family of 5 deer was hanging out in the backyard when we got back into town as well enjoying the shade.

TheObserver
10-09-2022, 07:48 PM
Thanks linksman! Unfortunately didn’t get up Stewart creek way. Trailer blew a leaf spring so limped back into town yesterday to deal with it.

nothing but grouse and bear droppings. Lots and lots of bear droppings. Surprisingly didn’t run into many hunters, maybe that means we were in the wrong area?! Oh well, fun was had overall and widened our little pocket that we know.oh ya, we did see one wt doe but she was gone and waiting for nobody. What do you guys do in this situation, is there hope that a wt darts into the forest and hunkers down? I was out of the truck pretty quick and didn’t hear a damn thing. It wasn’t the most inviting woods to walk down into but I guess I could have tried. We were only a couple clicks from camp so wasn’t really expecting to see a deer so soon on our way to check out an area.

Comfortably warm out there camping…ridiculously nice weather really…to boot, a family of 5 deer was hanging out in the backyard when we got back into town as well enjoying the shade.

In my experience if WT spook or blow they are usually going and gone.

Treed
10-09-2022, 08:54 PM
My buddy got a cranker mulie in the grasslands. The deer are there. Just harder to find in the warm temps.

tim3500
10-09-2022, 09:00 PM
Was out this weekend was at 1700 m sleeping under the stars watching the full moon nothing moving and no sign bushing brush getting to the ridges going to be tough hunting in the boundary this year

Redthies
10-10-2022, 03:31 AM
Was out this weekend was at 1700 m sleeping under the stars watching the full moon nothing moving and no sign bushing brush getting to the ridges going to be tough hunting in the boundary this year

I just went to retrieve my highest elevation camera from the main trail into a watering hole yesterday. I let the camera “soak” for about 10 days. Exactly ZERO animals on it. I did see two does lower down though, but I’m not interested in shooting one. Maybe if I haven’t seen a single buck by Oct 30th I’ll reconsider, but I doubt it. There were a ton of WT in my yard on Saturday night, but I’m not shooting one here either. My property is big, but not big enough to shoot on safely, and I don’t do injury sticks.

Redthies
10-10-2022, 03:35 AM
We did see one wt doe but she was gone and waiting for nobody. I was out of the truck pretty quick and didn’t hear a damn thing. It wasn’t the most inviting woods to walk down into but I guess I could have tried. We were only a couple clicks from camp so wasn’t really expecting to see a deer so soon on our way to check out an area.

Well, considering does aren’t open until this morning, it’s probably good that you didn’t chase her.

Forks
10-10-2022, 06:55 AM
Well, considering does aren’t open until this morning, it’s probably good that you didn’t chase her.

sorry I should have clarified, am aware does were not open yet, but was more so hoping that there would be a Buck in her vicinity. Wishful thinking I guess at this time? Town deer seem to mingle at times with the opposite sex. I would assume this translates to outside city limits?

Redthies
10-10-2022, 10:46 AM
sorry I should have clarified, am aware does were not open yet, but was more so hoping that there would be a Buck in her vicinity. Wishful thinking I guess at this time? Town deer seem to mingle at times with the opposite sex. I would assume this translates to outside city limits?

I wasn’t sure if this was your thought process, but figured I’d point out that desperation doe season only opened today;)

We we’re going to rinse off some fishing gear today, but there is a high wind warning for the lake, so we will take a drive up the FSRs on the west side and do some armed scouting.

palmer
10-10-2022, 02:12 PM
I did see an OK 4 point whitetail on the grasslands when hunting with MY GSP and GWP. Lots of birds but not many Deer
Still very warm and now with the fire it will be awhile

Redthies
10-10-2022, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I just drove past there. Bummer. Looks like it’s maybe under control? I was going to take a walk and look for birds in there this week. Looks like it started right down at the highway. Probably some a-hole smoker…

palmer
10-10-2022, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I just drove past there. Bummer. Looks like it’s maybe under control? I was going to take a walk and look for birds in there this week. Looks like it started right down at the highway. Probably some a-hole smoker…

Still lots of birds left on other spots.

I think it was started by equipment working in the long grass

Linksman313
10-12-2022, 12:31 PM
yes saw powerline crew pulling in there on Friday, my spot and stalk is off for awhile lol

High elevation camera's on east side of Granby valley turning up plenty of Doe movement, no bucks yet
caught one beauty of a cow elk though, daughter was thrilled to finally catch one on cam
11 day soak for camera - 25 videos
all nocturnal including elk, 2:22am-4:44am
big thanks to the firemen/women battling the Gilpin grasslands fire near our community
Links

Forks
10-12-2022, 02:54 PM
yes saw powerline crew pulling in there on Friday, my spot and stalk is off for awhile lol

High elevation camera's on east side of Granby valley turning up plenty of Doe movement, no bucks yet
caught one beauty of a cow elk though, daughter was thrilled to finally catch one on cam
11 day soak for camera - 25 videos
all nocturnal including elk, 2:22am-4:44am
big thanks to the firemen/women battling the Gilpin grasslands fire near our community
Links

I saw a couple cow elk skirting a hill side last year up the granby as well. this must have been 6AM...maybe earlier? sun was not up yet but was lighting up a bit.
Always nice to see those big ungulates! Gotta get some cameras going in the area to see what is lurking around!
Anybody know if there are any elk heards heading east out of town? not a specific spot of course, just curious if they are there. Thought I read something somewhere about a herd either being plopped or wandered up by the Paulson or surrounding area?
Have yet to explore much past the lake, hopefully next year I can familiarize myself with that area, always looks like an interesting area driving the Paulson. Hiked Glory near Rossland a couple summers back, beautiful high country up there.
And yes, kudos to those fighting the fires in town, and elsewhere!

Redthies
10-13-2022, 08:44 AM
I got a cow elk on my lower elevation camera last week. Zip all on my higher elevation ones. I’ve seen WT does in my yard daily. Something has been in the dogs yard too, and I’ve never seen does jump the fence. There were three nice 3 point bucks in their yard a few weeks before the season. Might stick a camera out there tonight and see who has been dropping by…

ratherbefishin
10-14-2022, 03:19 PM
No snow on the higher elevations yet…bit early anyway ,saw a few does but no bucks.lots of grouse though

Redthies
10-14-2022, 11:54 PM
Where were all these birds you speak of? We only saw 4 in two hunts near Waneta dam.

Linksman313
10-17-2022, 12:11 PM
Bone on cam this weekend - and during daylight, 3 year old good body small basket, looks as if he's been doing a lot of bush crashing lately
tracking a doe just after daybreak

bagged a nice grouse on the way down
introducing my daughter to the art of pathfinding
started with waypoint ID, lol kids are awesome
Her waypoints - heart shaped shiny rock (Galena outcrop)
- massive old rub on rainbow tree
- old hornets nest in fallen tree
- big pile of bear poop

She did great locating her way back!